Official 4x4 HAPPENING AND OFFROADING DISCUSSION

Ok lads. What is the most indestructible and reliable 4x4 for offroading and if shit hits the fan and you need to get out?

Post your best choice and tell us more about why it's the 1# pick.

Bonus points for cheap and easy to wrench on 2nd hand.

Other urls found in this thread:

dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/197566-25-mpg-turbo-6-2-possible.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What makes it good?

Tracker/Sidekick is cheap, reliable, small and easy on gas. They're very common and it's very easy to find parts for them. Make sure it's one of the Geo or Suzuki models and not the later Chevy ones though.

Unless you gotta haul a bunch of shit, a dual sport or an enduro type bike will get you to more places than a 4x4 with less trouble.

If you do gotta haul a bunch of shit, is a good choice.

>indestructible engines
>engine choices for power, economy, or a balance of the two
>indestructible transmissions
>indestructible axles
>indestructible body
>4x4
>cheap
>comfy
>plenty of momentum so with a simple bumper upgrade you can use the vehicle itself as a plow or battering ram.
>parts are literally everywhere

>cheap
>4x4
>???

what if you're not american?

what's good from the japs?

>reliable
>common
>poor acceleration
>shit turning radius
6/10

If you're not American you don't matter.

>poor acceleration
Maybe if you find one that's had a 305 swapped in and is running like shit. Or if you have a stock 6.2l diesel. 6.5l turbo swap is easy as shit though.

>shit turning radius
When the body isn't made of aluminum foil and plastic, bumping a corner on something really isn't an issue. In a SHTF scenario you really shouldn't need to worry about if you can make a u turn without hopping a curb or bumping a small car.

Why do you ask what's good from the japs rather than what's good and available in Japan?

I get the feeling you are American but think of Japanese cars like normies think of Apple computers.

no, i'm aussie and we don't get a lot of american shit out here.

>bumping a corner on something really isn't an issue
How about ending up at the bottom of a ravine?

I'd definitely go for a Sidekick then, especially if your budget is limited.

Pic related.

Most cities don't have ravines right past the sidewalk on every corner.

>4x4
>city

Actually, I think they called the Sidekick the Vitara in Aussieland.

If you already live in the middle of nowhere next to a ravine, then you probably don't need to go anywhere if shit hits the fan.

Do you really want a loud, gas-guzzling suburban that can't turn if shit were to actually hit the fan?

>loud
What are mufflers?
>gas-guzzling
What is diesel guzzling? SVO guzzling? Engine oil guzzling? Biodiesel guzzling? Hydrogen guzzling?
15-20mpg with a gasser and 20-25mpg with a diesel isn't bad considering the capability.
>that can't turn if shit were to actually hit the fan?
Show me one realistic scenario where you NEED to turn sharper than a Suburban is capable of turning.

>mufflers
Not going to do a lot with an engine that powerful.
>20-25mpg
Like hell.
>one realistic scenario
Literally any time that 4x4 is necessary.

>Not going to do a lot with an engine that powerful.
So now you're adapting this con to "too powerful"
Yes, mufflers do a lot.

>Like hell.
It's been documented.

>Literally any time that 4x4 is necessary.

>climbing over a downed tree in a road
>oh no my turning radius is a foot too large

>need traction to push broken vehicle out of way

>river crossing

By your logic there's no reason to even make a 4x4 with a wheelbase longer than the Samurai's. That's fucking retarded.

>mufflers do a lot
But they can't make a V8 nearly as quiet as a 4-cylinder.
>it's been documented
Citation requested.
>there's no reason to even make a 4x4 with a wheelbase longer than a Samurai's
Only if you need to haul a large quantity of things or people.

>But they can't make a V8 nearly as quiet as a 4-cylinder.
Yes, they can.

>Citation requested.
dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/197566-25-mpg-turbo-6-2-possible.html

>Only if you need to haul a large quantity of things or people.
You don't need to haul very much to go over what a Samurai is capable of.

>Yes, they can.
No, they can't.
>dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/197566-25-mpg-turbo-6-2-possible.html
Gonna have to do better than somebody's thread on a forum.
>You don't have to haul very much to go over what a Samurai is capable of.
You are correct. But this is not an attribute that OP is inherently looking for.

Deuce gal here. Obligitory m35.
10 wheel drive
4-10k for a solid contender
Run on anything
Designed to be durable
5 ton on road capacity
Tow anything under the sun
Easy to wrench on
Awesome documentation for everything(it's military)

So long as you aren't looking for a dd, it makes for the perfect shtf vehicle you can run it on wmo and veggie if all else fails and I only pay 130 a year in insurance a year on my road going one.

>No, they can't.
Yes, they can. Reducing noise is the entire point of a muffler. People don't buy smaller engines because they're quieter, they buy them because they're cheaper.

>Gonna have to do better than somebody's thread on a forum.
If you don't believe first hand experience from a large number of people then you wont believe anything.

>You are correct. But this is not an attribute that OP is inherently looking for.
Nor was being dead silent. If you're running ATs or MTs it's quite possible for your tires to be louder than your exhaust.

>10 wheel drive
Duals still function as one wheel. Don't be one of the morons that puts 6x6 decals on a 4x4 dually.

True enough, but a 4x4 is 4 axles, 4 drive axles.... so 6x6, but 10 wheels. I was a depot worker for years after my deployment ended and the designation for them was a 10 wheeled cargo transport on paper. Old habits die hard, we just called them retiring. Sure as hell beat the Oshkosh trucks though.