How did GM go from this

How did GM go from this...

to THIS?

More importantly when did small cars stop being endearing, adorable shit boxes and just start being fat little shits with bluetooth and zero visibility.

whats wrong with bluetooth?

weight.

To be fair cars back then didn't need to meet all these standards for hood-line a-pillers airbags and everything else. the minimum requirement for safety in a basic "car" was much lower and many manufacturers used that to their advantage for the most fuel efficient car for the price possible.

More realistic fuel economy testing. Still not even close to real driving, but also a far cry from the testing of years past

Isuzu engines

yeah that's the reason, totally not because modern cars are pigfat

You'll get maimed by going over a speedbump in a Metro. Modern cars are much safer with better crumple zones, etc. The downside is literally everything else.

I want the choice of an ultralight car though. I choose to drive my motorcycle even though it doesn't have crumple zones...

Then drive your bike and quit complaining.

there are a few Japanese cars sold here that are barebones and lightweight because the Nips care more about efficiency than the Americans, who only care about muh freedoms

Mitsubishi Mirage comes to mind

our gallons got smaller because the government is tightening the belts

Japan is better

>2 shit mpg cars from the 90s
Sure Japan has cars with better mileage. But what do these cars have to do with anything?

It's your government telling the manufacturers to make cars safer, smarter, and more fuel efficient cause people are fucking retarded

>sub-compact cars weighing 1900 lbs running Isuzu I3 engines
>2400 lb hatchback that can actually fit adults in the rear seats
Also because of what said. Really makes you think.

My B11 Sunny would achieve 60mpg on a flat straight going 60mph with low rolling resistance tires.

Was rated at 58mpg highway.

Went from that to an 8mpg 460
>miss the empeegees daily

This is not a solution.

I remember reading where an engineer for an car company said 'If you want a car than get 300 miles per gallon, we could absolutely build one. If you want a car that can get 300 miles per gallon, has AC, comfortable seating, can go over 20 miles per hour, meets crash standards, can cope with weather conditions, etc, etc. then you are currently asking us for the impossible.'

>300 miles per gallon

What kind of car would it be? An ultra aerodinamic body made of fiber glass, aluminium bars for the frame, 20hp engine, one seat made of fiber glass as well

Have you ever crashed any of those old imported GM cars?

Sparks aren't much better. Any frontal crash will collapse the traversally mounted engine to the passenger compartment chopping their legs.

>safer, smarter
okay

>and more fuel efficient
hol up

Because the old timey fuel economy test was "put the engine on a stand and rev it up to 2000"