How reliable would pic related be as a DD?

>how reliable would pic related be as a DD?

I have a backup vehicle (1991 toyota pickup) but I am mostly worried about the pic related leaving me stranded away from home. If it has to be down a few days for repairs its no big deal.

Other urls found in this thread:

peninsulaautomotive.com/performance-modifications-for-bugs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it's been overhauled and maintenance kept up, it could be OK as a DD, but pristine models are going to have boomer tax attached to them.

reliability is a meme.
it entirely depends on maintenance and miles.

>guys a well maintained 40 year old car will do better than a 6 month old with a female owner!

Is this what poorfags think?

No, it's what people who know what they're talking about think.

>boomer tax on bugs
what?
VW made so many of those fucks and south america kept making them till two thousand fucking two that bugs are plentiful and cheap

He specifically mentioned pristine, restored models. You know like a mint condition 1956 with only 10,000 original miles.

Old cars (Usually) have less features, moving parts and less electronics, therefore more reliable right? Nah, old cars metallurgy is just way worse and the materials are much worse, part of the reason why modern cars are safer too.

It's a spring / fall car. It's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. And expect it to struggle on hills at interstate speed. And they're death traps in a wreck.

Otherwise they're fun. Great aftermarket support.

I own and daily pic related. Never had a problem but that's only because I restored it entirely myself. Even though they're plentiful, air-cooled VWs are no longer dime a dozen, in America at least. Boomer tax big time, more so if they're nicer. If you can wrench this car will never leave you stranded (given you car a set of points and fuses with you). Best of luck and let me know if you have any air-cooled VW questions, I'm your guy.

prove it

How roomy is? I am 6'2 245lb with long legs.

I have also read you can convert it so you dont have to constantly set the points.

I'm 6'4 and 220 and it's very comfy. Only problem is the initial ingress with the stock steering wheel. It's so big in knocks my knee. Aftermarket wheel fixes that.

As far as points go you can ditch mechanical ignition but the purists will roast you, and if you plan on running anything but stock you're gonna have a bad time. My advice is get a really nice quality mechanical Bosch unit, set it once perfect and it should be good for a long time.

Those Bugs made in SA, aren't legal here. And even ok 70's running model costs 4-6 grand here.

You start getting closer and closer to the 40's and 50's model, the price starts to skyrocket.

Hmm that may be the better way. I had read that regardless of how good/new it was it would need setting every 6-8 months.

That thing looks gorgeous. Kinda jelly, ngl.

regular bug = very reliable
super beetle = rusty death

Anyway, keep your eye on the oil temp and it will last forever. Too much traffic it's not very nice btw.

Name one modern car that will do anything close to a million miles like some 80s/90s shitboxes without a rebuild.

What's the reason the super gets so much hate?

Well thats not really true. An old worn distributor with points to match will loose gap much faster than a new set. no matter how easily your gap goes though it takes 5 minutes, a feeler gauge, and a Philips screw driver to adjust. Not a big deal at all.

Thank you good sir, I can post more pics if you like

so this is just false. My beetle is a 71 Super, and entirely clean. The only difference is the front suspension and slightly more cargo room. The body and frame are essentially identical as far as metal quality, shape, rust prevention, and so on. I don't know where you found that misconception. Convertible beetles rust far more due to more places for water to collect, and the Ghia rusts more because "muh italian bodywork". Bonus points for Ghia vert!

And yeah oil temp is important. However there is not one stock (I recommend the Gene Berg dip stick for one), and if you have the proper oil in it (dino 20w-50) theres a pretty large range of acceptable operating temps for oil (180-245 or so). Also these air cooled vw's are actually known to overheat far more on the highway that traffic. Even though theres more airflow the cooling system works off the generator shaft fan that is always running linear to engine speed along with the fan shroud and thermostat vents, not a ram air system. The short gearing on the stock trans means you're sitting at redline going 75, not conducive to cooling.

This is the first I've heard of the super being hated on because everyone agrees that in all ways except collectors value the super is objectively the best beetle. Mechanically the changes fix all the main problems the standard beetle had.

More of my super

Little art my friend did

top notch

Mom's Renault has been driven daily since 2008 and never had a problem.

>32hp
>4spd transmission
>top speed of 71mph

Why?

32 HP would be an ancient 12 or 13. Any bug in the realm of affordability will have a 1600, probably a dual port. Which means almost double that from the factory.

No VW came with that much HP

Had a 2001 for 6 years was my first car.

Engine was rebuilt before i could use it, it was a 1.6FI reverted to carburator and beefed up to 1.8L, half of the engine came from an old 914. Suspesion was beefed up a bit too, B4 shocks, EMPI springs. The clutch and gas pedal were replaced with hydraulic mods, It came with drums in the 4 wheels that got replaced with an adapted brembo kit from a Mk3 Golf.

It was extremely reliable. It only failed me 2 times, first time was due to the ignition coil dying on me and the second one was because the wheel lock busted up in a parking lot.

It was a joy to take corners on that thing, 120+Km/h on 60-80 corners with no sweat.

Pic related on of the last pictures of it befor i sold it.

That's wrong. The air-cooled VW engine was sold is displacement varieties varying from 1000 to 1600 cc. It started with 25 bhp and the final iteration of 1600 with twin intake and exhaust ports had 60bhp pre emissions and 57 post emissions.

Source: literally the engine in my car that I know every but and bolt of. Also the info is a Google search away if you even tried.

"While the Beetle’s engine displacement steadily grew from 1100cc to nearly 1600cc (and, in turn its power output doubled during the car’s life)"

peninsulaautomotive.com/performance-modifications-for-bugs/

BTFO

Most common cab cars here might get close (Camry's, Falcons, Commodores, Prius) but you'll be hard pressed to find many cars after 2000 hitting that regardless because time