m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/16-5-in?page=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>aka wheel spinning your 2wd rusted shitbox up a mountain while crying general
kekd

How long till it kills me?

I say this non-ironically:
Nice radials, friend!

#420 s l o w r o l l i t

>aka just installed a new winch and winch bumper and hasn't even hit snowdirt once before being T-boned by a Mazda cucc

anybody got any /weekend wheelin/ plans to look forward to? its finally going to be cold as dicks here this weekend so my goal is to see how far i can get before my wifes complaints become too much to bare

lol im the guy who made the thread. im not that other guy but im sure he appreciates it.

4WD shitbox thank you very much

Put tires so big on it that if you flip you have enough clearance to keep driving upside down

>aka WHERES MY STICKIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE general

calm down user we all saw your last post in the other thread too. mexicanfoodfag is working diligently lets all be patient for him

Nothing wrong with 2wd if you know what you're doing!
Unless you have an open diff. No-rear-lockies can HECK off

a couple min prob

>No-rear-lockies can HECK off
what the fuck did you just fucking say to me?

I have 4WD and a rear locking diff. If I need a front locker I'm too shit scared to be driving on that surface.

user explain this faggy shit right now

Are you yellow YJ guy?

How can this be a shitbox if it clearly says "OFF ROAD" on the passenger side door?
user btfo

Pls keep holding off on the sticker. I wanna see pepe's final form, desu.

no that isn't yellow yj guy, i'm yellow yj guy

It's bone stock. Still, I guess it's better than most of the grocery getters I see driving around.

just got my new winch in the mail, however not sure if installing it is worth letting my taco get rekt by a shitbox

lmao

I'm jealous of your bumper but that light bar makes the whole thing look awkward.

(if it's any consolation, my winch and wirings are actually perfectly fine. just the bumper is completely fugged)

yeah I'm not too happy with it either but without it up there I can't see the stinger and it sticks out so damn far because its at a ridiculous angle

Currently have a mechanical 6.5l diesel with a Holset H1C turbo. Someone convince me not to add an Eaton M112 to the mix.

Great. Now I have to change the picture above yours to edit one pixel in order to repost the reaction image in response to this.

Paging Breandan Smith.
Paging Breandan Smith.
Paging Breandan Smith.

Northern Michigan meetup when?

I'll hold off until we get to see the Final Pepe™

What bumper is that? Looks like an ARB

>mexicanfoodfag
Gave me a good laugh

That's definitely not an ARB.

Depends... Have you had a tetanus shot?

Sorry, not ARB, Relentless Fab. My bad I got the two mixed for some reason

Why'd you trade your spooplight for an LED tho?

My what for an LED? I've only ever done LED for auxiliary lighting

Sorry. I'm on like 1mg of xanax for jetlag and accidentally drank 5 gin and tonics and then went go to smash my trucc with a sledge hammer only to dent my driveway with the sledge hammer.
Note to self: only do this when I'm sober.

I don't even know who's who anymore but I thought you had one of those police spotlight and traded it in for an LED.

Good night, Veeky Forums and especially tacofag

Nah, always had LED ditch lights :v

Nighty night!

no im blue land cruiser guy

nice bow user i like it

>Gave me a good laugh
i do it for you

yep relentless fab

>tfw trying to find a d70 or d80 with 4.88 gears to match the factory d70 front
Like trying to find JFKs brain

Ol girl trying to flex

I recently totaled my firebird but liability only so it's sitting in my driveway, still runs and drives. I also watched tron legacy the other day. The car with the huge tires that one chick drives... I've been wondering what the firebird would look like with the tractor tires stuck out to the sides instead of lifting the car to fit them

I know what I must do.

Factory Dana 70 front axle? That must be a heavy duty truck. All 1 ton trucks come with nothing bigger then a Dana 60 front axle...

They come under 70s dodge w300s, some 70s-80s 4x4 tractors and GMC Kodiak top kicks and maybe some international trucks

They're not that great to be honest, closed knuckle, drum brakes, funky steering setup the only advantage they have over the d60 is a higher weight capacity. Though, the ones under the GMC topkicks are the golden unicorn cause they're upen knuckle disk brakes

Still beats a d44 I guess

Just upgrade wheel size?

Gotcha, I was thinking the newer Dana 70 front axles that have open knuckle and disc brakes, think the Ford 450-550 4wd trucks have them.

Hope everyone had a good new years! I spent it in town. The drunks got a kick out of Roudolf Diesel.

Anybody on here a tirefag? What's this I hear about nobody making tires for 16.5" wheels anymore? Did I just make a big mistake buying a set off Craigslist for $100 if I can't replace the tires currently on there once they go?

>Nobody knows who is who again

First Taytay and now you? Maybe I should hold off on a winch bumper for a while...

Are you burb guy with topkick handles in NC guy?

WHEN! I WILL BE THERE

I'm assuming you're talking about re gearing the axle to match the front, which I am considering and may have to do but that will cost about $450 and if I can find one that's already got 4.88s in it I can get it for about $200

>First Taytay and now you? Maybe I should hold off on a winch bumper for a while...
The post you quoted () was me. Same bumper. I was just replying to OP's greentext.

>>>>>>>nobody knows who is who again

Yeah but doing the regear would probably save you some trouble down the line. And knowing your trucc, you could even make up the gas prices from that $250 difference in about 3-6 months of mixed driving.

Only 16.5 tires you can get are military humvee take off tires. They only come in one size, 37x12.50, so time for a lift and fender trimming. Most of them measure 35-36" tall.

Well it's for 73 which is going to be a off-road only mud truck on 42" super swampers so mpgs are a non issue. I have a d80 with 4.10s I might throw in for the meantime

Not true, granted your options are a little limited

m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/16-5-in?page=3

Yeah my man

I keep forgetting that people can offroad in their backyards or farmlands less than 30 minutes away.
Sorry, I'm so used to every trail being at least a 90 minute drive from me unless my friend who just bought a farm is home. But that's not real "trail hiking"

Also, the angle of the back tyres make them look real fucking deep. How big of an issue is weight distribution when on 2WD offroading, btw? Or are the back tyres enough to weigh it down enough itself?

Protip: Put a spoiler on it.

>tfw car cant do deep snow all that well due to 245/70/16 street tires

That looks stupid, but really fun.

If your YouTube gets big are you still gonna post here?

To be honest I haven't even taken it off-road yet. It's been a slow project so far. I can tell you it does one hell of a burnout though

The biggest thing is brakes, and being drum front and rear it's going to be a pain in the ass. I have the lift springs, tires, a new radiator and fuel cell I just got to get around to putting it all together

Put a spoiler on it to weigh it down.fashion one out of an old Spitfire wing or something. That'll also give you like 200 litres of fuel storage. This way, you'll perform better if your gas tank (spoiler) is full due to the extra back weight.

It won't. But odds are I'll stay on Veeky Forums as long as it remains entertaining and inspiring to me.

tfw no front jk d44 3 link eaton locker with yukon axles and 5.88 gears stretched 2 inches
tfw no rear ford 9" spring over detroit locker with yukon axles and 5.88 gears stretched 3 inches

MFW no decent All Terrains...
Either Commercial highway tires or Mud Boggers, both not suitable for what I need.

That doesn't sound half bad, I'll have to keep an eye out for junk planes

As far as rear weight goes I am planning on building a flatbed with two rows of bench seats for the truck sluts and chitlens to ride around on

Throw them back on cl for $100 or trade for 16s

So you're turning it into a safari-crawler / half track. Patton and Rommel approves.

Might as well find an old U-Boat and strip the ballast tanks make it amphibious, too.

Quiet, YJ guy. You'll get there one day so keep living.

tfw im yellow yj guy not him.

>What's this I hear about nobody making tires for 16.5" wheels anymore?
Most companies don't anymore. You can still buy Swampers or military tires for them.

>Are you burb guy with topkick handles in NC guy?
Yes. After looking into the emissions requirements we decided to put the 6.5 in mine.

Lift it and run the Wrangler MTs. They're kind of a mix between an AT and MT.

>Not this again lol

>bone stock
Ugh these modern "SUV"s and their low clearance. I'm surprised they even let the FJ Cruisers into modern North America with their stock 10 inch clearance or something ridiculous like that.

Xterra is more or less fine. As much as I shit on the Frontier and all other modern Nissans, they put a decent amount of engineering work into their vehicles to make them still offroad capable.

This makes me wonder. As my Ranger is in the shoppe, how far can I go with my AWD BMW X3? inb4 I just have to stick with a modern Ram 1500 for a week.
The owner's manual literally says "Do not drive on unpaved terrain" but like... Yeah. Maybe that answers that question. I can't wait until the lease fucking expires on this thing. Already looking at old Porsche Cayennes.

I really don't like these modern AWDs and out of the 150 Cayennes in my general area, only 3 of them are Manual.

Ouch. My bank account and subsequent maintenance fees. It's like wearing a suit and tie to go mudding.

Also
>dat snorkle
>dat winch
>dem fog lights
Normally, these things are meant to suit boxier, old vehicles shaped like Broncos, Land Cruisers, Defenders, etc. But on a "sleek" modern SUV, they just look kinda weird.

What does /ORG/ think?

If I bought a brand new Cayenne I'd be too afraid of getting it dirty to take it off-road. That's why I bought an older truck, because I can beat it to shit and it'll look just as it did when I bought it

>they put a decent amount of engineering work into their vehicles to make them still offroad capable.
Traction aiding differential, suspension travel, good tires, and a body that doesn't hang too low.

It's pretty simple stuff and there's not much engineering needed. You can build an extremely capable offroad vehicle in your backyard with a welder and plasma cutter. A lot of engineering does very little for actual capability.

Making one that also functions well as a road/track performance vehicle is difficult, as they're essentially opposites. This is where the engineering comes in, but there's far more marketing than engineering. There's sacrifices that a lot of people simply don't understand. A lot of people take reviews implying GREAT daily driver with features to help normies not get stuck if it snows or they take it to the beach as if they mean "absolutely phenomenal 4x4, CAN NOT GET STUCK EVER"

Sell it and buy an open knuckle disc brake 60.

Holy shit,it snowed a good 10 inches here.Already figuring that I'm stuck here for the next 5 days
>tfw when 4X4 is not working at all and was planned to be done by next winter

Problem is it's worth about $400 and the going price for passenger side d60s is $800-$1500 here in FLA. It would be cheaper to go to 2 1/2 ton Rockwells

>calling for 3-6 inches of snow for this weekend in North Carolina

cant wait to go and get stuck trying to pull friends out of the ditch while 3/4 of the state shuts down.

>friend driving me home
>he wants to be cool in his lowered legacy and tries to drift through some snow
>gets stuck
why do people think they can do this stuff when they are retarded?

Yeah I'm not getting a brand new one, lol. I'm looking at these old ones and this 2007 costs as much as my Ranger.
Maybe if you buy a waterdamaged $3000 and do a hollowout and replace the entire engine bay with that of an old Toyota / Jeep to save in maintenance fees over the course of a decade. Idunno though. A man can dream.

Well then call it a simple vehicle with built in compromise of "luxury". "Luxury" as far as a modern day pick-up can have, of course. So gotta ignore the interior plastic everything.

Is it mainly in the suspensions at that point? And muh weight distribution.

lmfao "gets stuck"
how and why? also how badly?

he bottomed out on a patch of ice while trying to drift through snow

we tried to dig it out for over an hour but it was no use. had to walk to walmart and buy a tow cable and find some random guy to pull us out

man Veeky Forums has been quite comfy lately. came here lookin for an off road thread or i was gonna make one.. thinkin about gettin a 4runner soon or a WJ jeep

Generally the luxury/sporty AWD CUV/SUVs are terrible offroad but the good AWD acts like a handicap that can help people that have no idea what they're doing do better than they thought they could. Most stock 4x4s are capable of far more than the average person thinks so if you put a picture in a magazine of one being pushed to it's limits it looks impressive. There's some odd marketing that can go on here. Often vehicles that are ill equipped look more impressive doing these things. But if you watch a well equipped vehicle doing the same thing, it makes it look easy and is no longer impressive. Side by side the ill equipped vehicle can and often does create a better impression just because it makes the same shit look more impressive.

>So gotta ignore the interior plastic everything.
Don't even start to parrot that. All luxury vehicles have plastic everywhere.

RIP body on frame Nissan SUVs. The new Pathfinders are a fucking abortion.

>4runner soon or a WJ jeep
4R = generally overpriced and always overrated.
WJ = unreliable and overrated.

>thinkin about gettin a 4runner soon or a WJ jeep
woah I'm thinking about doing the same thing and that's why I'm here

Given that the recently released D23 pickup platform is incredibly suited to an SUV variant with a modern twin turbo diesel and a mulilink coil rear end, it's surprising they've gone and based the new one on a fucking Altima.

I'm so sorry, user. Better fail on the road than off the road.

Aha! So advertising a vehicle itself to be capable off-road when 99.5% of the clientèle won't take it past a maintained service road is actually contradictory to their actual desires of what they want in a vehicle.

That's sorta mindblowing when you put it the way you put it. It's like how the Bentley Bentayaga (or whatever their new SUV is called) has a bunch of advertisements of it driving with a whole fleet of built up Wranglers to prove it can "go anywhere" or whatever.

>luxury vehicles have plasticc too
I wanted to clarify. What I meant was not the material but the "feeling" of plastic. There's a difference between plastic aesthetic and having plastic cover the sealing. Plastic is only a material. All the wood/fake wood has a lining of rosin or plastic around them but they try to distance themselves from the "plasticy" aesthetic of the 90s hardbody sedans and trucks.
Chrysler does that horribly. Mercedes does it well.

You mean the Navara / Frontier?

damn that shit looks sexual as fuck.... whats the consensus on daily/light mudding or off roading in a older cayenne? been lookin for a fun crossover type vehicle for a dd. anyone know if maintenance and shit like that is miserable for older cayennes?

I wasn't referring to the plastic coating over the wood veneer layer over hard base plastic or even vinyl/soft plastics in places. This actually somewhat ties into what I was just talking about regarding marketing but this I don't think the manufactures really have any control over. A lot of people have preconceived notions about manufacturers, especially in how they compare to other manufactures and will often overlook things that don't fit that. It's hard for people with existing bias to confront them. For example the GM vs Mercedes argument gets brought up a lot. Someone that's never been in a Cadillac or Mercedes may get into both and see them as equals. Where as someone that just thinks of Cadillac as common GM and Mercedes as a more out of reach prestigious manufacture may look for all of the plastic in the GM to reinforce their beliefs and all the leather in the Mercedes, even if they're both in reality about 50/50. This is getting into far more subjective territory though.

Yes. This is why I dreamed of doing a complete performance swap like The 2005 Cayennes have the repair cost of a 2015 Cayenne with the added benefit of producing a limited amount of parts compared to normal vehicles. My friend's Cayman (haha is he a grill. lol fgt has a cayman could've gotten an older gen m3 etc etc etc)'s clutch costs around $2000 to replace. Compare that with an old Ranger which if you do the work yourself, you could replace it for a tenth of the price.

Hell the repair costs are miserable for older X5s and X3s let alone the Cayenne. Don't worry user, I'm right there with you.

dream ride currently brah

Yes.

dude i know but i love em. its funny though cause for me i can only really afford a 3rd gen 4R and around that range i can get a decent WJ but everyone (on Veeky Forums at least) says the WJ is shit, and i dont really like the looks of the 3rd gen 4R. might just wait and save for a 4 gen.

fuck yeah dude haha where u located? norcal fag here.

>rode in friends new truck today
>never felt the coziness of a single cab in winter
>now i want to trade him my jeep for it
>asked and he said he'd consider it

Just get something that's not shit and isn't overpriced. You'll love it before long.

It could get into a subjective territory but the study of aesthetics has been immortal and you can make overwhelming claims that can encompass 70-90% of the general populous.

I don't really know how we got from discussing making an offroad vehicle with scrap metal in our backyards to the plastic composition of Cadillacs but it's fun.

GM only makes Cadillacs in order to compete with the Merc, Lexus, higher tier VW-AG group, etc brands that exist. Kinda like how people still buy Lincoln for some reason despite the Ford Flex being more comfortable than half of the newer Lincolns sedans I've been in.
You're also right that brand protection is vital. I remember when Mercedes wanted to bring their E-van over to the US, they relabelled it as the Dodge Durango or something (I can't be bothered to search up the actual titles) in order to not have a "Mercedes" branded work vehicle in North America. That part is not subjective and quite calculated. I think I'm going off topic now too. I can end it by saying again and again:
The only reason how people can sell Ram1500s, Silverado 1500s, or F-150s is brand loyalty. Ain't that a shame when the manufacturers are no longer able to try in the stagnant vehicle environment that America has put itself into?

Subpar car loan economy crash when?

Extended cab works on a similar basis. Plus you get to put a gun rack, first aid kit, dog, and third wheel back there whenever you want.

fucking helllll dude that sucks. no wonder theyre dirt cheap here. would a full engine/tranny all that shit swap, even be feasible? seems like youd just burn the cost of another cayenne just doing that. the engine would have to be low as fuck on miles to really make your money back, not to mention the labor costs. sheesh.

no suggestions?

Oops forgot the picture.

Wrangler MT/R opinions? I ran a set for about 5000km but they were pretty well bald and I want a new set. Anybody run them? I'd be paying about $1,500 for a set of 33s. Truck will see a fair amount of highway too.

Something 4x4 with a common and reliable platform that isn't too expensive (rules out nearly anything Toyota) and isn't built like complete shit. (rules out nearly anything Jeep, Explorer, and Expedition)

Blazer? Bronco? Tahoe/Yukon 2 door or 4 door?