/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

wardog edition
Previous thread >>

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SIUEHsyt54I
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.new#new
pcpartpicker.com/list/dwsfVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oops. Previous thread:

It's aight, least ya got the thread up without a faggy op pic.

jesus christ, Dr.Urist, at least break the arrow shafts

>looking for companions to fight a night troll
>meet up with a tall somewhat fat swordswoman and travel to the site
>get drowsy, stop to make camp
>swordswoman tells me she's feeling randy
>whatever, go to sleep
>wake up with her standing over my prone body

what do?

lick any blood or vomit on your clothes in a seductive fashion

1st for update
NEVER EVER this year
t central time

This.

>embark on white sand desert, envisioning a fortress focusing on glassmaking, with outposts in the caverns for logging operations
>first migrant wave is a fisherman, a fish cleaner, a bone carver and a brewer
>turns out my river is full of mussels
>so many mussels that my second migrant wave is three fishery workers, another bone carver and an engraver
>first strange mood is a bone carver
>second strange mood is a random peasant who picks bonecarving
>third strange mood is one of my farmers, who also decides to carve himself some bones
>by year two I have two legendary fishermen and three legendary fish cleaners
>by year three I can fill out the caravans with gifts of tacky mussel shell jewelry and cooked mussels and still have several hundred overpriced shells and a stockpile full of fish barrels left over
>meanwhile the only glassmaking done is my mayor's mussel aquarium
Why is it that my fortresses never turn out the way I want them to? I embark in the forest and plan to do metalwork, and I end up getting sucked into a cloth industry thanks to my twin giant cave spiders. I try to do pottery, but then oh look magnetite, bituminous coal and dolomite how lovely. Alright time for some glassmaking, oh just kidding have some fucking bivalves faggot, hope you like your fishermen churning out a million mussels per second. Its not like you needed that FPS anyway.

ok advice taken, she just spit on my lower body

That's how you know she's into you.

You know you just can tell them to stop, right?

Time to wrestle her clothing away and see where things go I suppose, oh and happy new years anons!

The only solution here is to get started on magma pumps, obsidianize the river, and segregate the fishfuckers in the caverns to see if they can find anything/end up getting killed by/accidentally kill some beasties down there.

Happy 2017, Taking requests to kick off the new year.

ok done, she started talking about how great romance is and now we're "wrestling"

also happy new years to you too

It's too late. At first I was like "oh neat some easy cash flow" and then I spent a year setting up my metal industry and getting my military up and running.
Then I noticed my FPS was really fucking low, so I check my stocks screen and find 1.2k fish, as well as stacks of rotted mussels, fresh mussels and mussel shells underneath my fishermen and fisheries, each 3-4 pages long.
I've turned on DFhack's commands to deteriorate excess food and corpses, but it hasn't helped much yet. I'm trapped in fish hell forever now.

Disarm fisheries
Build bridge
Autodump mussels
Press [x] to mussel

>Ex gf started huge 6 hour fight
>roommates little sister and her friend made me hang out with them for like two hours
>friend mad I didn't hang with him
>other friend won't stop texting me about her favorite memories from the year
>I just want to fuck around with my dorfs but these fags want to talk and shit
>mom visage quand

cool blog

that's why I don't have any friends

not true but it's a convenient excuse

Low caves under the fort
(still taking requests)

smooth criminal dwarf
mj style

I don't have a request at the moment, but I'd like to thank you for drawing the butcher shop conga line earlier. I was gone for about a week due to Christmas so I didn't see it at the time.

Will try something!

My pleasure! had fun drawing that one!

Super long haired elf girl (5) in dragonscale armor hugging her tall militia commander mother after killing her captors and murdering her way back home.

The Shortest, mad, mother fucker, robber, elf slappin, around king dwarf.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIUEHsyt54I

nice

>tfw 21 dorfs in the fort
>8 fucking kids

Fuck you Toady, fuck you.

>friends
>gf
>dfg

Choose one

not a difficult choice, df is free

>not a difficult choice, df is free
But it wont suck your dick so ...

How is this?

Thanks!

>gfs dont produce artifacts

Touching, well fucking done man!

So's your gf, EYYY, BABOOSH!

Is this what it is like?

Thanks! spent a while on that one, normally don't draw that kind of stuff.

i love this

I enjoy that she's all covered in blood. :D

thats quite the fuckin' knife there mate

upvote

Brilliant.

I'd like to see a sleazy tavern scene, with bearded serving wenches and undesirable characters smoking pipes.

I put in a reaction to encrust with [ITEMS_HARD] and tried to add one for fabric bands with [ITEMS_SOFT] but that isn't a thing so I deleted that tag and learned I can add bands made of ANYTHING basically so I just started slapping everything I found on it... in hindsight it's kinda a mess at this point.

Could you try that 3rd atempt you talked about from the drawing of tekkud and the dragon?
Im making a collage, and I need a drawing like that

>kills
>steel colossus
I dont habeeb it

you really have a talent for drawing females timbuk

btw, is the fact that your name is on her briefcase means that she is leaving her boyfriend for you?
bretty subtle drew

Can you find Iron ores in caverns if there aren't any close to the surface ?

ye

Good to know.

Im so glad (You)s are back. I actually got scared for a couple of days

Also, how come none of you faggots post the FoFt
Its the most important of the year
>bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.new#new

Just scroll up a bit and you'll find it

Some stuff to make your thirst up
>Explanatin on how will the agents work in the next update
>insights on the myth arc
>Randomdragon looking cringey as always at the bottom
>Toady half-answering the Vore question from Rubik
>caretaking not planned to implement for the next three releases
>peddlers will peddle in your fort
>agents will probably be hard as balls to undercover
And much much more!

>$89423.38 in 2016

That... sounds like quite a comfortable sum. For some reason I imagined Toady and Threetoe living like monks in a small apartment or something, but that sounds like quite a tidy amount of money.

Can any americans explain how good this is for America?

>For some reason I imagined Toady and Threetoe living like monks in a small apartment or something
He kinda does.

So it's just the toad, his bro, and scamps?

According to some old news article the only jar of water on his apartment was for scamps. Toady exists solely on soda and fast food.

Oh dear. How old is Toady again? 30s?

>after 3 days of trying to mod the game shit still don't work
Even with all the bullshit I don't want Masterwork is started to look more and more appealing!

Oh yeah, that was an experiment to make them more brutal, they're definitely nastier, but that's vault metal, so.

Didn't see it was up.

>Yeah, your "deflection roll" is based on your armor use skill, but in the first calculation your dodge roll counts more and replaces your deflection roll if it is higher. That roll is thrown into an equation with the hit roll to get the "squareness" of the attack from 0 to 20. There's some pure luck at this stage though, and the squareness can sometimes be increased regardless of the rolls.

>
Later, the same deflection roll is used directly with relevant worn items one by one to modify attack momentum using the material/etc. -- dodge rolls don't enter into this. Item familiarity can increase this deflection bonus.

>
In addition to speed, high armor skill also decreases your "clunkiness" with heavy worn objects. The clunkiness sum applies a minus to many skill rolls (mostly combat, but a few non-combat).

Well fuck, just when I am ready to discard my hypothesis...

Derp, fucking copy pasting while I'm reading and fucked that all up.

So yeah, Dodge > Armor, then the squareness shit comes in, item familiarity, and then the clunkiness thing?

old memes
Toady sorta got his shit together some time ago now
He be ok

vore confirm

They meant taking bites out of stuff and eating the chunks while still fighting, I assume/hope.

Modding is hard

does this game still use one processor core

Yeah

in the very next reply, he (affirmatively) answered the question about stomach acids (which random-fagon tried to derail)

Yes and it will for all of time because Toady has outright said that he'd prefer to rely on processors becoming more powerful than to learn and recode shit for a year to make it multicore. I mean the few people that have seen the inside guts of DF have said it's like hell on earth with spaghetti code left right and center, poor syntax, and little or no commenting, so I can somewhat understand it.

but plz toady plz we need it some day

If you're dying from FPS death get better ram and a motherboard with a high bus speed instead of a new cpu, ddr4 is cheap as hell and fast as hell, and DF relies mostly on memory and bus speed because of the sheer volume of shit it needs to reference and write.

didn't it use another thread for the graphics?

yep, pic related is what rubik asked
Some anons said that Toady wouldnt answer vore questions

The problem is that, my motherboard has a FM2+ socket, and I alredy decided that if I buy a new one it's gonna have a 1511 socket. So, going by the logical increments list (I've heard it's good for beginners), the cheapest motherboard there with a 1511 socket and that accepts DDR4 ram is the H111M Pro-D, and it costs 62 euros in my country, the 4GB DDR4 ram costs 35, and I also will have to replace the processor, in the list there's the G3900, that costs 40, but it's better than my current processor, so it's fine. In total right now that's 137 euros, now, maybe the prices in the list aren't the cheapest and I can find the parts for less in another place, but let's use the for this anyway.

As far as I know, you need to reinstall the OS when you change motherboard, and I don't wanna lose my files, I know you can reinstall windows 7 without losing your files, but I've heard that there's still a chance of losing files in the reinstallation process, and my HDD is a bit old, and I don't have another one so I can't backup my files, so I think the best option would be to buy another one, in the logical increments list there's a 1TB HDD for 51 euros, I guess I could buy one with less storage space, in amazon I've found a 500GB one for 42, but the extra space is nice, so I think I can spend some more for the HDD.

The last thing is the case, I don't like my case, in the list, the cheapest case is the GX500, for 55 euros, I've heard it's a pretty good case.

So in total that's 243 euros, if I decide to not change the HDD and the case that's 137.

And I don't even have 137 euros.

Holy fuark I just got the comfiest embark

>untamed wilds
>giant hippos n shit
>river that waterfalls into a deep
valley
>desert on the edge of the map
>lush forest at the edge of the desert
>iron only a couple z-levels down

I guess I'll post a screenshot later

Well shits tough, man, I used to be in that exact sort of situation. I had an old 2007 or 2008 shitty little dell desktop with 2gbs of ddr2 ram and a 2 core 2.6 ghz processor until just last year, so I know how it feels. Most I can say is try and save money, although I know how annoying that is when you're told that time and time again even though you have no extra money to save, you're barely making it through until payday.

>kid starves himself from the failed mood at the precise moment another failed mood results in stark rabing madness

Thus the first two dorfs at my fort die .. Not to a siege, not to a monster but to the fragility of dwarven mind ...

A mind can stand only so much man

I'd check pcpartpicker for compatibility, you don't gotta reinstall shit with an OS swap, though dear god, still on windows 7, does it even support DDR4 gen hardware?

pcpartpicker.com/list/dwsfVY

Eh, that's still not so much "dude, can we jerk off to getting eaten" as "dude, will we dry our mouth out if we keep spitting and need to take a drink, will vomit burn your skin since it's stomach acids, etc" I think?

Yeah, you're right
What he says actually sounds like a legit good idea, Im glad Toady confirmed it

A little more biological precision like that stuff would make the game much more realistic
Oh, and objects having chemical properties would be dope as fuck

As far as I know it can.

And I like windows 7, some of the stuff I use don't work well with windows 10.

>Acid and proper fire damage
>Ice being slippery
>oil being slippery
>Salt drying you out
>Nutrient absorption and spending confirmed by Toady

Jesus Christ, the possibilities are endless

>"dude, can we jerk off to getting eaten"
Of course, that wouldn't hurt, either.

Do you think one day we will be able to modify the appearance of your adventurer?

Without dfhack? Mebbe, never thought we'd get full personality sliders but we did, and Toady said that he was kinda thinking of doing that with features as I recall.

>Being able to shave to appear presentable in the royal dance
>mark yourself with tribal/magical tattooes
>Hair dyes
>Prosthetic body-parts
>Cultural diverse clothes

Its basically guaranteed senpai

>mfw i read that post

While creating your adventurer, I mean.

Doesn't toady studied digital systems in college? CPUs are becoming more diversified and specialized, not xboxhueg and 2fast4u.

Twas many years ago mate, df itself is 10 years old now.

Is there a syndrome tag to make effect by contact?

Glad to make some user happy senpai

>Cultural diverse clothes
We already have this.

When the raws say state how common or uncommon something is in an entity, it means the chance for it to appear in a given civ at all.

This means that all civs in the game have a certain combination of clothes, essentially making clothing depend on culture.

>tfw ability to play a desert fort with tribal dwarfs covered in tatoos, beads, dreads and tribal robes

Muh dick.

>comfortable sum
It is and it isn't. That's an absolutely abysmal wage for a software developer in the Seattle area given the cost of living, particularly when you account for the fact that he's "married" (i.e., threetoe takes some of the money). Even away from the coasts, that's still substandard. I wouldn't work for that.

But then again, he's livin' the dream as his own boss, so you can't really put a price on that. And it is certainly above-average for wages across all industries, although that's not a fair comparison.

But hey, on the bright side - purple spinel!

>I wouldn't work for that
Are you fucking kidding? How much of a snob are you?

I just translated it into my currency, and it's definitly an upper middle class income.

Yeah, we also got, with the last update, the ability to commision clothes with the civ. symbols and so, but I was thinking in stuff like different type of pants, dresses and so on
Its gonna be completely possible
Things are gonna get so crazy as to pic related, so dwarves not having beards doesnt sound so bad to me

Yes.
>certainly above-average for wages across all industries
>not a fair comparison

It's relative. A software engineer with 10 years of experience? You could ask the same question of a doctor and they'd say the same thing.

Toady's clearly not in it for the money, which is a good thing.

A software developer known to have made one of the most influential and famous games of all time, even having a place in museums, with 10 years of experience, could make far far more than that.

yeah, Im from an european country, and he earns 6 times what a normal person earns

oh, hell yeah

geez user, you may as well play elves if you want hippies, dont you think?

Jesus fucking christ..
I have no idea wtf is happening, i have access to every place on the map, i just finished bridges and this piece of shit cancelation spam wont go away ...

>geez user, you may as well play elves if you want hippies, dont you think?

Noo because i want to play savage tribals with actual iron weapons and unique style.

I'd be more interested in getting back into DF if the last couple of updates and the upcoming one weren't so...boring.

You can make taverns now! Dull in practice.
Mine carts! Generally impractical to set up and use effectively.
Double agents! Not that great since the adventure mode conversation system has become a clunky and cumbersome mess that's torturous to navigate through.
Artifacts! Have fun wading through aforementioned conversation system to maybe hear about how an uninteresting cup was moved from one place to another 20 years ago.

Will we ever have an exciting and game-changing release like the undeath/necromancer one way back when, /dfg/?

ids bretty coole, and tho art stoopid
fuck eff

Within 6 years