Are Tesla autos actually good or is the whole thing just a meme?

Are Tesla autos actually good or is the whole thing just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2015/02/16/tesla-should-turn-off-subsidies-wall-street-journal-europe-says/#8e5c88df2b23
consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-ranked-by-satisfaction/
lmgtfy.com/?q=Tesla subsidies amount
youtube.com/watch?v=CXFeYHufFKk
youtube.com/watch?v=PuqcqoEn5co
youtu.be/0l4oNGst0X8
tesla.com/supercharger
tesla.com/destination-charging
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not a fan personally. I think they are way overpriced for what you get and I've heard their quality control is shit

>Are Tesla autos actually good or is the whole thing just a meme?

And now we have a war...

too new to know anything. there are battery horror stories, but we know nothing about how good the trannies or if their engines wear over time and burn oil

A meme, but a meme that is actually making progress.

They're overpriced, which is common with emerging tech.

If Tesla does a decent job with the model 3, they'll have it made. 35k before incentives will make it almost as cheap as a Honda Civic.

>burn oil
How do electric motors burn oil?

it's a shitty meme that is financed by the US government...

you are thinking of fuel dumbass.

>trannies
>engines
>oil
user...

A meme that requires convincing employees to invest part of every paycheck in order to not go bankrupt.

>fuel
on a electric car?

Not realy, they just invest anything they get in their new Gigafactory.
Google does the same since 1998...

Tesla's still have single speed transmissions and differentials fuckass.

Tesla came out of nowhere and threatens the status quo, especially old detroit car makers who rely on lobbyists and tax loopholes more than innovation.

And yet, Tesla relies heavily on massive tax discounts to sell their products.

Tesla is probably the biggest tax loophole auto on the market bub

They're kept afloat by government subsidies. I hate them.

Tesla isn't threatening shit with $140k "luxury" toys. They're hardly innovating when they use off the shelf parts.

Source?

Nigga. Tesla has BILLIONS in government subsidies. How could you not know?
Just do a quick google search.

All american car company got them...

Didn't find anything, can you link an actual citation?

I can understand how someone wouldn't like the company itself, like quality control, marketing, and target audience, but people need to come to a realization.

Electric cars are most definitely going to be the future. They're expensive now, but as they're used more and the more development that goes into them will lead to lower prices, better range, and overall improvements.

No one can stop it. I understand if you don't want to accept it or if you think electric cars are boring, but no doubt there will be ways to make them more fun and exciting. I even think they're not very exciting. They're soulless. They lack the screams and rumbles and feel of ICE. You can't have a manual EV. And despite how depressing it sounds, transportation and emissions will both be improved.

>marketing
What marketing? Tesla doesn't advertise.

>You can't have a manual EV

Why the fuck not? Because the company is too Jewish to engineer a proper transmission? Drag transmissions are rated to over 2k+ ft/lbs, Don't tell me a tiny blender motor produces "too much TQ"

There's a few manual E-motorcycles and people have been doing 5spd EV conversions for 20+ years now.

Tesla received billions of tax payer dollars to sell 140,000$ cars, it's a fucking scam

Just because all the other kids are doing it too doesn't make it right

Here's the first result you lazy cunt
forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2015/02/16/tesla-should-turn-off-subsidies-wall-street-journal-europe-says/#8e5c88df2b23

Not ever gonna let my gas vehicles get taken from me

You can have one, but it is usually cheaper to beef up the controller and motor a bit to get a bit more wheeltorque than your tires can take.

Why have a transmission when most people are used to driving automatics, and when one isn't necessary or could slow the car down?

I mean of course you can have a transmission if you want, but it's impractical for the regular market.

But I can go to the Chevy or Chrysler dealer and grab a brand new mid range car for $30k. Tesla wants $60k minimum for something built almost entirely on government money.

>muh $35k option
Get back to me when they actually exist and aren't just a fantasy people paid for already

Where's the billions? Those were subsidies that were available to anyone making zero emissions cars, and every manufacturer that did make them received those units.

model 3 is gonna revolutionize personal transportation, can't wait. luxury auto for 35,000 and never pay for gas again.

New technology, etc. etc.

Was ____ cheap early in its development?

It's not going to be slower, Motors don't have infinite power and torquebands. Getting more than 200miles of highway is pretty impractical...

>muh $35k option
>Get back to me when they actually exist and aren't just a fantasy people paid for already

so in 2018?

They do what they can to get the price down, also the total cost of ownership isn´t even that high for a Tesla since you don´t pay for fuel and superchargers are flatrate.

>there will never be a electric pwerformance car
>there will never be a lectric luxury car
>the electric luxury car will never get good performance
you are here
>they will never make electric cars affordable
>they will never crush the ICE market with no survivors

Didn't musk also say he'd be having gay orgies in space by now? How's that going for him?

>Early production, high power car mostly meant to excite the population into seeing how fast/cool EV's can be

Wow I wonder why

i don't know how to respond to that

but yeah, when those model 3s drop, he'll be rolling in cash flow for space orgies

A electric motor has its maximum torque at 0 rpm, if that is enough to spinn your wheels and go fast at the same gear ratio, you won´t need a gearbox.

????

Yeah look at how pissed the customers are
consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-ranked-by-satisfaction/

There is a fixed pair of gears and a differential, but no clutch, torque converter or anything.

That pic clearly shows a gear reduction (which is a type of transmission) and a differential. Try learning how something works before you claim it's the greatest thing ever. Fuck you people are worse than Applefags.

Maybe it will suck your dick too. Moron

Apple is the greatest! I'm on my 15th replacement! I love this brand! You should buy one!

Tesla fags are the smuggest fuckers, even worse than Prius fags ever were. Just seeing all the custom plates at a Tesla meetup is nauseating.

Why? Idiots already paid for them. He should be in the money already

>ranked up with porsche owners
>porsche owners are widely known as the applefags of the car world.

Well they're in good company at least.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Tesla subsidies amount

I'm not spoonfeeding your ass anymore. Figure it out yourself.

When the Chevy Volt came out I never saw one without an electricity related pun. Next worst offenders are Smart owners

That is the only downside to owning one, every clever vanity plate is taken in CA. I'm going to register my X out of state so I can get WATTSUP

Wow, how creative. You should buy an Infiniti and have your plate be NBYOND

They're great in a lot of ways but also still early so there's still a lot of issues.

in 10-20 years they will hopefully be reliable enough for what you pay.

>buying a car that comes with DLC

The video game industry should be a warning about what a huge fuck up this will be for the consumer

>if you want the extra features you can download them
>if you don't want the features don't download them
WOOOOOOOW

Let's take a look at the link

$2.391 billion.

>$1.29 billion from the State of Nevada, in the form of tax breaks for the GigaFactory. Tesla and their partners will have to spend about $100 billion of their own money to meet all of the requirements of the program.

Tesla received 0 dollars here, but are creating tens of thousands of jobs in NV, who obviously need this so provided the tax break

>$45 million - Discounts on their Department of Energy Loan
Again, received 0 dollars. The loan was paid back in full, early, resulting in a discount

>$90 million - tax breaks funded by the California Alternative Energy Board
Same as NV situation

>$517.2 milllion - Zero emission vehicle credits from the State of California which they then sold.
Available to every single auto manufacturer creating zero emission cars, and used by all manufacturers that did

>$284 million - Federal tax credits given to people who bought Teslas.
Tesla got nothing from this, only people buying the cars

If you think any of this is comparable to a GM/Chrysler style bail out you're a complete moron.

Why do you people decry the arrival of the electric car?

I swear, for everything new that comes out, there's a vocal minority that gripes and moans about how awful it will be, and how superior they are for sticking with their existing technology.

The car, the computer, the Internet, the cell phone... the list goes on.

Just because you're comfortable with the old way of doing things, doesn't make it better.

They are Luddites and romanticists, ignore them

moron how? im about to buy a car that sucks my dick and saves me gas money and has luxury features. sounds like a smart play to me

I'm sure we'd all like a fun electric city commuter with 600hp and xxxxTQ and that will be a thing in the future. We still have a long ass way to go before that happens. Lets not pretend that 200miles from 9000 flashlight batteries and a 10 hour charge is "the future".

1000 bucks to reserve one, because they don't have the capacity to manufacture like ford or gm

but we should buy it anyway, cause it supports that progress

300 miles out of lithium Ion batterys with about 800hp and 1000nm torque charging to 80% in about 20minuts are what is available now.

My gas powered car doesn´t go much further and I need to refuel it about once a week.

Untested batteries.

Reddit tier meme car.

This shit is pushed because

1. Tesla is a normie meme because the name Tesla literally sounds cool and normies think knowing who Nicola Tesla is makes them smart

2. Elon Musk himself is a meme, people think getting big loans from the liberal government to make electric cars makes him a genius

3. Their sales are shit internationally. Sold like 30 cars in china

4. Nobody knows how those batteries will hold up in 5-10 years time. You could be blowing 100,000 for 5 years max driving.

5. All the stats on battery life are done in optimal weather and without lifelike passengers and cargo

6. They sell the car with meme videos about 0-60 time. The car has one gear and accesses the torque right away. That means it goes really fast right away but loses steam as it goes on.

youtube.com/watch?v=CXFeYHufFKk

On the track the car would be much weaker than such a meme video would let on.

The Porsche driver in this video is asleep and still smokes the Tesla once the Tesla hits 60
youtube.com/watch?v=PuqcqoEn5co

How often do you drive more than 200 miles a day?

Because 90% of people just plain don't.

Am I the only one that thinks the Tesla logo looks like a T-Shirt?

See:
OK buddy

It's not really progress when he's taking the easy way out. eg, using off the shelf parts.

>80% in about 20minuts

Enjoy your premature battery death.

I do that at least once a week. It's called driving out to the mountains to board or bike. Most active people do these things...

Horst Lüning tested a 24 hour on the Autobahn (2424km in 24h), drove the range to 0 several times, drove from norhtern finland to Africa and had a capacity loss of 3% after several years.

That is insignificant.

>It's called driving out to the mountains to board or bike. Most active people do these things...

yeah, most people don't, and if you live more than 100 miles away from where you bike, you should reconsider your venue.

forgot video:
youtu.be/0l4oNGst0X8

What parts do you think are "off the shelf"? Tesla makes more parts themselves, in the US, for each vehicle than any other American make and it's not even close. They do their own plastics, seats, and cast and machine everything in house.

>Most active people do these things...
No, they don't. I'm far more active than you will ever be but since I'm not poor I live close to a recreational hub.

Not anymore you're not. Thanks, jerk.

this.
support tesla, make america great again.

It literally looks exactly like an IUD.

My gf had one for a while. The door handles kept breaking, where they'd stay in the out position and not return. We both thought the interior was a little boring and cheap feeling.

In the end the car was a novelty for her at first, but when it came to actual day to day using it, it wasn't particularly nice to drive or as comfortable compared to other cars in its class.

It was fast (she had a 90), but you could only do a few accelerations before it got slower. And if you did too many this fan would kick on that was really loud.

Range wise it really did bad on the highway if you went over 75 for cruise. I guess the efficiency really drops off after that point.

>I do that at least once a week. It's called driving out to the mountains to board or bike. Most active people do these things...

Most active people don't go anywhere near that far for a weekly, what the hell are you on about?

>since I'm not poor I live close to a recreational hub

You can still be poor and live somewhere neat, Pueblo CO's average home price is like 140k. That's like a $600 mortgage.
If you want to live in a real city, CO Springs is about $400 more expensive. Still damn cheap.

They do though... The closest ski/bike resort is 100 miles. Lot's of people drive over 200 miles to seek the delicious pow. It's a big ass country, big drives are just part of life.

They don't make the batteries or the motors and they pay a bunch of poointheloo's to do the electronic and software work.

If you live in a ski town, you're probably poor. They usually suck ass to live there.

They sure as fuck do in North America, keep in mind we don't live on a tiny fucking island...

>They don't make the batteries or the motors and they pay a bunch of poointheloo's to do the electronic and software work.
All wrong. Why make up stuff like this on the internet when you clearly don't know what you are talking about?

>4. Nobody knows how those batteries will hold up in 5-10 years time. You could be blowing 100,000 for 5 years max driving.

lol yeah lithium ion batteries aren't used in anything besides teslas and we have no idea what happens to them after they're used for awhile XDDDDD!!!!!!

>having a break after 300 miles renders the car useless

>waaaaah! I live in bumblefuck so we should probably just scrap the whole idea because i can't drive endlessly without filling up

yeah that makes sense

when charging stations are as prevalent as gas stations this conversation will be irrelevent

>Chrysler that high

Fuck your bullshit m8.

Model S is a good car, but certainly overrated.

Being an electric car it has good acceleration, but Teslafags bleating about "m-muh 0-60" despite that only being applicable in a drag race scenario (beats everything to 60 but past then it gets rekt..."BUT MUH 1/4 MILE!!!" "BUT MUH HELLCAT!!!" "NO THE REMATCH ISN'T FAIR!!!") is annoying. Loses charge if you push it and then loses power. Overheats a lot (they're trying to start a Tesla-only GT series and already they are having problems stopping the car from overheating). Just get a 7 Series unless you are specifically searching for an EV.

That's 150miles one way into the middle of nowhere... Where am I supposed to plug it in and charge it? Even most ski resorts don't have anywhere to recharge.

You Euro's always wonder why we need big V8 cars and big trucks to tow shit... It's because our continent is huge.

Phone batteries go to shit after about a year and a half dude.

My post had literally nothing to do with electric cars.

I was just pointing out you can be poor and live in a city with recreational opportunities.

YEah if you want an EV go for the BMW i3 and save yourself some money or go for i8 and atleast have the gas option.

Yes, we have established that if you drive 150 miles every week to the ski lodge, a Tesla is not going to do as your only car.

However, if you can afford to go to the ski resort every weekend, you're probably wealthy enough to buy a 5k SUV and use that on the weekends.

Don't forget about the batteries. They are expensive and go bad and have to be replaced which is very expensive. Plus the range is shit in cold/hot weather, and even worse if you have heat on. But that's with all EVs.

The average american car owner drives a little over 35 miles a day according to government stats.

Also, only 1% of trips are over 70 miles.

>spend $140k on a electric car
>spend another 5k on a gas guzzling SUV

Kinda defeats the point of an electric car, no?

Yeah that's just the average commute. We go on picnics and camping trips and shit too. That shouldn't warrant a second car...

You can charge with high speed on the charger here:
tesla.com/supercharger
with moderate speed here:
tesla.com/destination-charging
and on any three phase current plug

low speed house plugs can be used as well if you stay there for several hours.

>what is a serial hybrid?

>10 superchargers and 20 normal chargers for all of Canada

Yep, should be real easy to recharge anywhere... Still don't know where I'm going to find a three phase power connection when I'm 100 miles from the nearest human being.

Fuck add even more useless weight. Live with the already good fuel economy from modern ICE's or wait till battery technology gets better. We don't need a shitty combination of the two. That's just a bandaid solution.