$20k budget thread

Help me out boys. I have $20,000 in the bank and I need to buy a car for DD in 3 months.
I want something small and sporty. If possible I'd prefer not to spend all $20k and definitely will go used.

I'd rather suicide before driving a yaris or some boring shitbox. I'd need a really really good reason not to go manual.

Currently looking at:

Porsche 986/7
BMW 135i M
Ford Fiesta ST
VW Jetta GLI (for the Fender stereo which is 10/10)

So what would you do if you were me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VGWuucnV44A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Miata

s2000

do you care about reliability? You said DD...

a 135i or any porsche under 20k you can wave byebye to that...

If you're in the US, it's hard to go wrong with a c5 vette. Probably a nice z06 under your budget. Other than that, there is the Genesis coupe, frs/brz, last gen mustang, camaro, etc. There's a good choice.

986 2.7 or first year of the s as they didn't have IMS issues. I would also consider a well maintained high mileage one. Porsches are generely very well built.

For under 20k your 135 choices are going to be rough.. do not want.

Neither the focus or Jetta appeal to me.

I'd look at c5 vettes or try to finder a Mazdaspeed mx-5

step it up fags

This

My wife works while i'm in med school. Next year our income will double and our cost of living will half so honestly paying for upkeep on a car won't be a problem at all so while reliability is nice its not a high priority.

I owned a 2012 Miata mx-5 and loved it, but I sold it when I moved to an urban area. I also had a Saab 9-2x Aero and I have to say it was more fun to drive than the Miata. I'm hoping to get something above the Miata only because I've had one already.

Are the C5s reliable? These are definitely within the price range.

How does it compare to the miata.

Faster and more torque

youtube.com/watch?v=VGWuucnV44A

Way faster, more potential, higher quality. It's gearing also makes the lack of torque much less noticable. AP2 is more expensive, but from what I've heard is more manageable at the limit.

Isn't the 9-2x aero basically a WRX? Why not get the Subaru?

Had saab stylings that I prefered. The inside was all subaru though. Even the parts inside had subaru logos everywhere. Was a 10/10 car for sure.

Dad bought it for me as first car and I miss it. Didn't realize how great it was til I got in my friends yaris shit box.

Normies truly don't know what a good drive is like.

How was the handling and power?

out of what you've looked at, the 135i blows everything else out of the water

buy a Cummins and roll coal on all your faggot friends

Handling was superb compared to econoboxs. I remember driving that stupid yaris and you had to do a 3 point turn to do a u turn in 2 lanes.

Very tight responsive wheel. The power in the 9-2 was also noticeably better than the miata. And i'm not shitting on the miata I liked it but when the 9-2 hit the powerband it was great in comparison to the Miata.

I can get a 135 for 18-20 in my area but it will use all my savings.

I don't want to finance at all and my income will be high enough that I'll recover within a year so I'm trying to decide if i'd be just as happy with a cheaper option.

Right now i'm leaning towards the 135i which I can grab for about 18.5

S2000 is a lot more raw, and will punish you if you fuck up while trying to push it. Sometimes it'll even be a dick if the road is shitty in the right way.

AP2 isn't more manageable at the limit. The problem is that the stock suspension setup and electric steering rack make the steering rather numb, even though it's still incredibly responsive. So it's hard to tell when the rear is about to let go, something that it loves doing. It's why people spin them so much.

A couple of people have fixed that problem by replacing the steering rack with the power steering rack from the RX-7. A better fix is upgrading your abilities so that you can use other senses to tell when a car is about to let go.

What Porsche really gets right is steering feedback. Their manual shifters, not so much.

Look at me guys! I jammed my dick into the EGR until it doesn't work anymore! Then I went and screwed with the AFR's and now I have soot all in my engine oil.

I meant more manageable than the AP1 not the Miata. Probably should have stated that more clearly.

Whats the consensus on mustangs?

The V8 is good if you don't like turning

The 6 cylinder versions are emasculated shit

>double income
>at best an intern
Meaning your wife makes at most 50k before tax. You're a moron.

>buying a piece of plastic

Counting eggs, I see. Good luck with that.

55k. How does that make me a moron?

FRS/Brz.

> Turns more heads than a Porsche.
> It's in Initial D
> Based Takumi
> Best handling under $60k. Tighter than your mom last night.
> Soubds sexy af.

Do it! Can get one used for $15k... Spend the other $5k on turbo and supporting mods.

good lord you are delusional

What about thr new mx5?

Easy to say from your Cavalier bud.

> but muh bros online say it sucks.
> muh gay light to light street races

Yeah lol ok. My buddy fucking rekt STIs and Porsches at track days this year.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. The original AP2 isn't really more manageable at the limit, it just has slightly different limits. It'll still be quick to fuck you up if you downshift into VTEC in the middle of a curve, you'll still get lift-off oversteer, and you'll still spin when you push it a bit too far. It's not very easy to recover when the rear starts going wide. A car that's more manageable at the limit is a Boxster/Cayman, or even a Toyobaru, as they all do a better job of telling the driver what's going on, making them more predictable when you push them and easier to recover when you screw up.

If you have a 2006+ AP2 with VSA, the VSA will keep you from approaching the limits, although in a way it creates different limits, as you can still be stupid and understeer into a wall. Some would argue that it's a necessary system, because of how the car can be a bit unpredictable on crappy roads. But when you turn it off for a track day or autocross, the car goes back to being the same ol' spin machine...if you suck. That's what I love about the car. It rewards upgrading driving skills more than any other car I've driven.

The CR may be a different story due to a new steering rack, but I've not had the opportunity to drive one. I wish I'd gotten one while the market was still a little bit soft. They're probably going to wind up appreciating like the damn NSX did.

dont know about a bmw with a n54 or n55 engine
but i have a bmw 328i and never had any issues with it
bought it at around 15k miles its currently at 78k miles
so far no repairs have been done
only time it was ever not in my possession was for maintence

>my buddy

file under things that never happened.

It's literally a Miata but faster, better around corners, and less gay

If you go v8 get mustang but used v6 Camaro is a good value for looks and performance.

>tfw I don't know if I want a sedan or a nice sportscar

This
It's a man's Miata.

You need to at least be a good driver because it's like a midget woman on pms. It will fuck you up if you don't know how and when to corner.

I have a 140k mile C5, it's definitely worse than like a Corolla but for a serious sport's car it's unbeatable.

A lot of it is just more maintenance...I have a GM truck with 170k on original shocks and tie rod ends, the Vette needed all 4 of those at like 115k. But it's all GM parts so they're pretty cheap.

Get a shit box as you clearly don't have enough for any of those.

Why not lease instead?

I was in the same situation and i let a salesman talk me into a Camaro

RIP

Couldn't have been said any better.

that would be a z3 3.0 or z3m. the s2000 is still a goodly bit femme.

I've heard that a Porsche engine is good to 300,000 miles. Thats why i own one.

Anyone know about the 986

370z?
I don't know how they are in terms of reliability but they look (ostensibly) practical as a DD.

Do you aim to go fast on the straightaway or having fun cornering?

Of your choices, I would only consider the Ford. And I wouldn't go fiesta ST, I would rather go Focus ST.

my 550whp evo x was under 20k all those cars you picked are just awful

be a man and pick somthing with more power

Not OP, but different people want different things. Maybe he would rather go fast within speed limit. chill out, bro

>go fast within speed limit
You fucking what now

Have fun within the speed limit I mean. fuck me.

Your 180hp automatic financed Lancer you mean?

Ayy I'm also a medfag with a 986 Boxster

Ignore the memsters on Veeky Forums, most people here don't actually own cars and have no idea what they're talking about

nice, how do you like it?

These guys think $110k a year isn't enough to maintain a car.

It's slow as shit but it's so God damn fun, practical too with 2 trunks and all
I do a lot of work on it as well in my free time, a huge chunk of maintaining costs is labour

Watch out for the air/oil separator failing, it can look like a blown head gasket. And I wouldn't even be concerned about the IMS in 2017

An lel yeah, doesn't matter how much money you make to them, you should get a $1000 Craigslist Corolla

is it really slow? Faster than a miata isn't it?

IM SO MANLY ROLLING COAL HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 Cheby or GMC Silberado/Sierra SWB with the 4.8 for about 3-5k. 6k in turbo goodies 76mm turbo, fueling, maybe a cheap cam. Get a good tune and make anywhere from 500-700rwhp reliably on stock bottom. Roll on 5.0s, SSs, SRTs etc with a truck you can put shit in the back and with a motor that you can buy at a yard for about 100-150$. Pro's Good DD for single man, reliable, truck utility, power, extremely cheap parts and motor, LS tuners everywhere. Con's mileage when on boost, turbo lag for days, truck weight 4200lb, Autotragic, Mexican truck scene down south. Every mexican will ask you how much for it.

What it could look like.

Ok, so here's the deal. Boxsters are a goddamn riot and are much more comfy than an S2k, but you do need to be careful about the IMS bearing issue. The Boxsters from about 99 to 06 are much more likely to have the bearing fail, but a fix is possible for about 500 bucks. The ones from 07 to 09 are much less likely to have the bearing fail, but there is no fix possible. After 09, the engine design changed and there is no nore IMS bearing to fail. Whichever Boxster you get, I promise you you will enjoy it.

They're faster than most Miatas, but not enormously.

If you can find one of these, this is the biggest hidden gem of the modern era. For the price of an S2K, you can get a nicer car with 100 more horses. It's just an E46 M3, but with 100% less dudebro tax and 400lbs less weight.

the 135i isnt as unreliable as the porch, and is alot more fun than the jetta or fiesta

>gay

Kek

Well I have a measly 2.5l, I'd imagine a 3.2l or a 3.4l would be significantly quicker

And yes they're faster than stock Miatas

I wouldn't worry OP about the IMS now days, it's practically a non issue unless he's buying a museum car

i would go with an s2000 OP, you can get a really nice one for around 15k and use the rest for upgrades and stuff. Also you get the Honda reliability for DD

The S2000 is a terrible daily driver

>falling for the Honda reliability meme
Honda's burn oil

You're not gonna like this answer user, but it'll help you in the long run.

Get a econobox and relax. All that extra money you're gonna have next year? Save it. Let it accumulate interest. Put it into a market tracking fun, make some money.

Come up with a set percentage of your income (double digits) and put that into long term savings.

The sooner you start doing this, the more the money will grow. Then when you're a big boy, you can buy as many miatas as you want.

Lel he'll be making a quarter million a year in a couple years

Lol already have a 401k with company matching 4% and a vanguard with 12k from college and high school jobs.

I Need a car and 20k is a very reasonable budget.

You guys think the repair bill on an oil change is going to break me. If I spent 2 grand on repairs a year its STILL only 1.5% of my income.

That's actually a great idea, if I can find one.

Pro tip, Boxsters are fine with conventional oil, which is a good think because they need like 10 quarts of oil

Fiesta ST

Nothing funner than a little out of control rocket

Fuck Torque Vectoring though

>doesn't want a boring shitbox
>lists fiesta

I mean, unless you find the sound of cheap plastic rattling about at deafening decibel levels thrilling, I'm getting some conflicting messages.

Which is it?

FRONT

WHEEL

DRIVE

There is nothing gayer than rolling coal. Even driving a rainbow colored miata doesn't come close.

All these eurocucktears. KEK!

You're just as bad as stance fags

My wife is an optometrist and i'm a computer security researcher. Combined, we pull around 300 G's a year. What do i drive? Ford Escape. What does she drive? Mustang. Only assholes live beyond their means.

>buying a 10 year old Porsche because you want a fun car makes you an asshole
Why are you even on an automotive enthusiast board?

Absolutely this

tfw rolling coal on BLM

This, get an S2000

>How does it compare to the miata.
Think of it as a weaponized Miata.

I drive a 1979 T/A. I don't care about emissions in any way. Rolling coal is extremely faggy, begging for attention like that. A pride parade with a different name, all it is.

>S2000
>daily driver

Unless you need to carry multiple passengers on a regular basis, there's no reason you can't. They're extremely reliable too, even by Honda standards.

A Boxster is more practical and comfortable though, and it costs the same. Running costs will probably be a bit higher but nothing disastrous.

They're uncomfortable for driving everyday and every cop in a 10 mile radius will want to pull you over

>A Boxster is more practical
In what way, trunk space?

>and comfortable
>They're uncomfortable for driving everyday
Have you ever driven one? It's not at all a difficult car to commute with.

>In what way, trunk space?
Yeah. Two trunks, though they're by no means huge.

>It's not at all a difficult car to commute with
No one said it was hard, just a pin in the ass

>In what way, trunk space?
more junk in your trunks
Also more torks, nicer seats, and a better rag top/more affordable hard tops in my opinion