Don't know if I should post this here, or in vidya...

Don't know if I should post this here, or in vidya, but why do some racing games like the Gran Turismo series and Initial D based games have these rebadged Porsches instead of the real deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2016/12/13/13935732/porsche-ea-exclusive-license-gran-turismo
ruf-automobile.de/en/modell/rgt-4-2/
forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/FM4/Cars/Porsche
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because RUF is the real deal and Porsche is an expensive child's toy compared to them
Don't worry OP, you may be a faggot but at least you noticed

I believe they had a deal with EA to only have them in their games, so all we ever see in other games is usually the Ruf

Something about porsche not wanting to license its brand to video games.

^bingo, EA had a deal with Porsche but it is actually about to end soon if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently just did

polygon.com/2016/12/13/13935732/porsche-ea-exclusive-license-gran-turismo

Porsche signed an exclusive license deal with EA, so only EA could could have Porsche cars in their games. RUF is a body in white manufacturer which means that they are a completely different to Porsche, and the licensing doesn't apply. Under the hood they are quite different too. The EA license however expired last year, which is why iRacers are very exciting to get new 911s in iracing.

If you have a look at the dev build of Forza Horizon 3 that was accedentaly published there are a load of porsche cars in there ready for releace so things are looking good for getting 911s in most major games soon.

ruf-automobile.de/en/modell/rgt-4-2/

older forzas had some porsches too, they must have paid EA an absolute shitload to get them though

I always hated that Porsche EA deal. They didn't really do shit with it since Porsche Unleashed on PS1. I'm glad it's finally over.

nope they only had RUF's as well.

no

forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/FM4/Cars/Porsche

4za had a porsche pack but was expensive as fuck

>DLC

doesnt count

>game content doesnt count
thats a retarded argument seeing as developers leave half the content out of a game and release it as dlc

That's why the DLC pack was so expensive.

FM3 had Porsches

So what was their logic behind this? Or at least, why did they make the contract so long?

Seems kind of silly to be a performance car manufacturer, and cuck yourself into only being in NFS games

Ferrari did the same thing for a time if I'm not mistaken. Most likely people that never play vidya made the deal and it sounded like a good idea

NFS was very big at the time, with 4 major racing games under there belt and PD hadn't even released Gran Turismo when the deal was signed.

>NFS gets exclusive rights to license Porches
>Porsche gets fat royalty checks because NFS sells a new game every year

GT dropped the same year as NSF II.

>TFW TNFS was as a sim

Ferrari has a bunch of retarded license stipulations that they can be bought out of by well-funded or prestigious dev-teams (like Turn 10 and Polyphony)

Play Test Drive Unlimited 2 or The Crew and you'll find Ferraris have customization features disabled that are available on every other car such as:

>not being able to paint Ferraris colors other than stock, Ferrari-approved colors.
>cosmetic upgrades are usually limited or nonexistant
>can't apply decals to any Ferrari

In TDU2 at least you couldn't even upgrade the performance of any Ferrari making them completely worthless vehicles as far as the gameplay was concerned.

I remember in NFS High Stakes that You couldn't use the Ferraris and the Mercedes in Pursuit mode.

Could that be because of Ferrari (and Mercedes) being snobby with their licenses?

>Could that be because of Ferrari (and Mercedes) being snobby with their licenses?
It was.

Back in the day there's only alpina playable on some non EA/GranTurismo games not BMW dunno why.

It already did.
Also RUF is legally a manufacturer, and I'd say that their cars don't get the attention they deserve.