They looked like white samurai's

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Ireland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_clothing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They needed to look very neat for their riverdancing

Not op, im bumping this, anything i can search for like pic related? Googling Irish Gael warriors or something only brings cringy tribal fantasy art

Arent those Gallowglass? Which were Norse-Scottish mercenaries?

Warfare.altervista has tones of authentic old images of Gaelic irish warriors.

Search for Irish Kern or Irish Gallowglass

The yellow tunic is called a leine

There's only one Gallowglass in that pic bottom left and by the time that was drawn he was probably an Ulster Gallowglass because he's with Irish Kerns. The rest of warriors are either Kerns or other Irish warrior types.

Gallowglass usually acted as heavy infantry and had an aketon + mail coat at least. The lightly armed guys go by many names but usually called kerns.

Very hard to distinguish Irish from Highland Scots pre-1700's. They all dressed the same before the kilt was brought in and before the lowland Scots became culturally dominant. They Irish and Highlanders including Norse-Gael Island folk such as Gallowglasses were essentially the same people.

Thank you so much lads

This. The essential feature of the Gallowglass wasn't that he came from some distinct cultural group, but that the Western Isles were far enough away that they granted the soldiers some relative immunity to local politics.

You should realize that the Irish were seen as the white negro's of Europe. Though it seems that all the people that started living there went native so to speak.

another beautiful ancient culture genocided by the eternal anglo

Like luxuries?

People to be ruled over for their own sake.

They talk the talk but they can't walk the walk

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Ireland

Brehon Law was old Celtic Law.

It dictated a caste system with the King at the highest, followed by the Druids (priests, bards, etc.) then the warriors, followed by the lesser professionals and common folk.

The number of colors you wore signified your caste.

That's why you see pimped out colorful Irish Warriors of yore.

They are displaying their high status.

>In fact, sumptuary portion of the Brehon Law decreed that slaves could only wear cloaks with one color, while freemen could wear four and kings wore several different colors.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_clothing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law

>white samurai
Island
Warrior Elite
Highly spiritual
Morals and Ethics rooted in ancient codes

OP you may be onto something here...

>You should realize that the Irish were seen as the white negro's of Europe
From the 1700s to the 1890s, thereabouts.

It's hard to gauge exactly what absolutely everyone thought of one group of people, opinions are going to vary extraordinarily, but from my 5 years studying medieval Ireland at university these are the conclusions I've reached:

From the 400s to maybe the 800s Irish people were thought of as being incredibly learned and cultured. It came back to bite them a bit, where after a certain point a lot of English, Frisian and Frankish lords got sick of their courts being full of Spudniggers who basically had a monopoly on teaching and monasticism and kicked them out.

From the 800s to the 1000s they were thought of as being extremist Christian brutes who were kind of weird but also good fighters.

1100s to 1500s, just regular ol' Europeans, nothing really stands out to me apart from the English being mean to them. Again they have a reputation for being good fighters but also povertous and backward. This attitude showed up in Spain a lot especially. I forget his name but there was a Spanish guest at a feast thrown by the Earl of Tyrconnel, and the Spaniard chimps out at the Earl for not wearing shoes and for having a huge beard and for eating and joking with his serfs, and the Earl just laughed at him.

1500s to 1650s things start getting a little gruesome and attitudes shift to match, but because there's more documentation it's easier to gauge what people thought. Irish soldiers start showing up in armies from England to France to Spain to Sweden to Russia. Lots of complaints about how drunk they get, lots of people thinking that they wear funny clothes, and the Dutch especially complaining about how weird their language sounds. Interestingly they're noted for almost being universally fluent in Latin. No idea how that happened

I haven't really studied anything after that. Maybe some day

The French regularly call them and the Scottish Highlanders sauvage (savage), but I recall that was mostly 15th and 16th century stuff.

The Dutch kept hiring the Irish for a reason though. I will try and find the document I read but a 16th century Dutch General commented how skilled the Irish were in battle, they could take down dozens of men with their swords in an age were guns were being used more and more in use so they were valuable shock troops.

>The eternal paddy
Perfect

quality post mo chara, clarify a bit on

>From the 800s to the 1000s they were thought of as being extremist Christian brutes
this though

Christian extremists how?
and why would that even be considered a 'bad' thing at this time

Fgt

the tunic is called a léine, the jacket is an ionar, the cloak/mantle is a brat

There's a reenactment group called Claiomh who do lots of historical Irish reenactment, mostly for the 16th and 17th centuries because we've got the most sources for those periods.

>Irish
>white

They do some Viking era stuff too

>Brittish Press describe Irish as savages and sub humans for centuries
>Ireland decides to break free
>In the last moment the UK snatches some Catholic-majority duchies because they can
>Later leave those duchies at the mercy of Ulster nationalists
>"Bawwww, why didn't you stay in the Empire? We were better together"

>Interestingly they're noted for almost being universally fluent in Latin. No idea how that happened
That actually gels with comments on Irish Education reform even in the 19th century.

Kek

They were too poor to buy some decent armor because they spent all their coin getting shitfaced.

*Anglo-Irish knight

Looks Hiberno-Norman to me.

A lot of Irish stuff on Veeky Forums lately
It feels /comfy/ lads

I'm enjoying this thread, really interesting with minimal hunposting.

>Anglo-Irish
>in 1580
wew lad

The man for whom the book was commissioned was called Seaán Mac Uilleam de Búrca, and there are a few non-armed figures illustrated within who are dressed in the traditional Irish style.

It's even a bit of a stretch to call them Hiberno-Norman. The Burkes Gaelicized quicker than just about any other Norman dynasty. By the 1550s they'd have been as Irish as Murphy's pig.

Kek

>From the 400s to maybe the 800s Irish people were thought of as being incredibly learned and cultured
That only really applies to monks. The lay Irish population were always considered barbarians, especially in the earlier period when they were raiding Britian. I remember reading a quote from some Carolingian scholar commending an Irish scholar for thriving in a land filled with barbarians, though I can't remember where it was from.

Gerald Cambrensis (writing in the 12th century) writes that the Irish are warlike, barely Christian barbarians.