MY18 STI

Subaru released details on the 2018 STI

>revised suspension tuning
>DCCD system now uses electronic control for quicker and smoother response
>19-inch alloy wheels carrying 245/35R19 tires
>upgraded Brembo brakes with monoblock 6-piston calipers in the front, monoblock 2-piston calipers in the rear with drilled rotors all round
>Recaro seats, standard on STI limited and optional on for the base trim

also featuring
>revised front styling
>better interior materials
>reduced interior noise with thicker door glass, revised door sealing and a foam-filled windshield header beam
>multi-function display upgraded from 4.3 to 5.9 inch

And still featuring the old EJ257...

how bad are the base seats?

so nigger rims and a larger screen.

Where were you when subaru turned to black people instead of vapelords?

WHY ARE YOU STILL USING THE EJ YOU SHITS IT'S BEEN LIKE 3 YEARS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

subarus used to look like this

20* years. The EJ257 in the STI has been around since 2004.

Nigger the EJ257 has been around since 2004

Like a riced out Corolla of the time? Just like the current one?

>yfw the first EJ series engine came out in 1989
>yfw they're still using the same architecture 29 fucking years later

gg subaru

> Race car
> rice
Nigga are you retarded?

> Race
> Inspired
> Cosmetic
> Enhancements

Kys you dipshit

3 years since the new generation.

What's wrong with the 4 door?

I legit can't even tell, is that a pic of the refresh?

I'll admit, I like the wheels but
>still using the EJ25
Getting embarrassing at this point.

its still the same engine

Nothing wrong with the 4 door, but the 2 door is the 1999 sti 22b, the greatest scoobie ever made. Google it breh

bro the 4 door was cool too

i thought 2018 was supposed to be the year for the new engine
what the fuck subaru

I actually know a guy building a replica one of those. STI bumper, exact same hood, home made roof scoops, the works. Has a mid 2000's STI motor swapped into it, aluminum control arms, probably a bunch of other little stuff. Not sure if he's going to lift it or not, and he may end up building a steel widebody for it at some point, but either way it should be pretty neat when it's done.

Hopefully the whole damn car is redesigned. Last good looking WRX was 2007.

OP here on my phone now. Yeah that's a picture of the refresh. I couldn't tell the difference either. Here's one of the front bumper.

Nice backronim faggot.

Here's one of the new rims.

caliper color needs to go

Can they please bring back unequal headers on the WRX? I really don't care if it saps some power. I miss that unique sound.

its a twin scroll turbo you mongoloid that would defeat the purpose

Why? Dat unpredictable boost life or die

I'm aware of that, cunt. Just saying I miss the old setup.

19s on a saloon is just awful

>2018
>still no FA in the STI

If you care that much buy the STi or just install unequal headers yourself.

I just bought a 2017 Limited WRX a month ago and the only regret I have is the 2018 having Recaro's as an option while the 2017 didn't. The other stuff is either pretty minor or is fixed by a tune anyway. Anyone with a 2017 Limited or the Harmon Kardon upgrade already got the improved 7" headunit - it's actually a shame they didn't just use the Carplay compatible headunit that comes on the new Impreza's...

Oh well. If the Recaro's turn out to be a $2000+ upgrade then I might not have gotten them anyway. If they turn out to come standard on the 2018 WRX Limited then I'm going to be pretty salty.

>this shit car hasn't raced in wrc in years yet it still uses the homologation engine and its american bastard brother.

4b11 didn't have the power ceiling of the 4g63 but it at least made the X a more livable car.

>And still featuring the old EJ257

Dammit, WHY are they still using this dinosaur?

evo x came with 6 piston brembos in the front and 4 piston brembos in the rear back in 2010
>19s on a subaru imprezza
>anything less than recaros on a car of that new
>having a touchscreen under 7 inches....

oh yea dont forget this is like a 45000-50000 car no one here will buy new

sti for 50000? where the fuck do you live? I got mine for 35000

I guess I don't know enough about Subaru, but why is the old engine a bad thing? Do they still have head gasket issues?

You're fucking retarded if you seriously expected a mid-cycle refresh to have a different engine.

more pistons =/= better

better brake cooling and a more effective piston design = better

because once those brakes have absorbed 100% of the heat they can take, they're useless

Ford did it with the 2010 mustang. One year later they shoved the coyote engine in there.

MY10 owners were salty as hell.

Also, Pontiac switched to a 6.0L engine after one year for the 2005 and 2006 GTO.

Yea there are tons of examples of this. That guy is the fucking retard.

>It happened a couple times out of the hundreds of times cars have been facelifted, so it happens pretty often.
Kys dipshit

BMW and Mercedes do it all the time. Nissan has dozens of examples. Etc etc. Not just "a couple times". Educate yourself before you keep looking foolish.

If you load up an STI limited with factory lips and skirts and the short throw and dimming mirrors and etc. you can get close to 50k. It'll definitely be $50k if you add some of the big ticket items and then include TTL. It can be even more if you buy the protection and maintenance packages.

Personally I think that's stupid as hell but it's possible. I bet at least some fogged-over fanboys have actually done that, too.

>People ITT bitching about how long the engine has been used.

Check out the usage of the Windsor Block and Chevy Small Block

Wake me up when they kill off the EJ257 and use an FA20 turbo.

Brembo front caliper with drilled rotor

>Drilled rotor

I hope you enjoy cracked rotors

not even F1 cars falls for this meme

Yeah, I just remember them saying they wanted to unshackle the WRX from the Impreza yet they've done jack squat with it.

Well, mostly that it's an old and inefficient design. Still port injected, heavier, uses a design that's been around for a long time, guzzles gas, probably still has some of the old problems that plagued its EJ brethren for many years and stock for stock, it actually develops less power than the WRX until about 4500RPM. 0-60 time is actually about the same between the two cars - the STi is also about 200lbs heavier and keeps up purely because of it's more advanced transmission and trick differential. You can basically just buy an Accessport for a $400-700 and use some shitty generic off-the-shelf tune without changing anything else about the car and give the WRX the same power as an STi - actually the WRX will get more torque. So if you just want a relatively cheap, fun, quick daily driver that can easily fit 5 people +cargo and can embarrass some cars almost $20k more, the WRX is your car.

Of course, that's all just straight-line speed/power. The STI runs circles around the WRX once you're actually pushing both cars hard because it's got 3 different diffs doing all kinds of shit. Theoretically I guess the EJ could also support more extreme power mods better since it's got an extra half liter of displacement... but there have been 2.0L 4 cylinder cars that make upwards of 900+hp so who knows.

You had me laughing for a second lol.

Tell that to Porsche, BMW ///M, AMG, SRT, SVT, etc

Nearly every high end performance brand uses drilled or slotted rotors on their vehicles.

Corvette, GTR, 911, GT350 mustang, hellcat, RS7, R8, C63, M3, the list goes on

BaruDrivers will try to defend this

The base seats aren't bad, they're just nothing to write home about either. Frs/brz seats are way better, but I can see how seats made for a coupe night not work well in a sedan. Recaro's would undoubtedly be a significant upgrade.

I think that's also for the impreza's benefit, honestly. Now they can better market the impreza as an awd corolla/camry thing for outdoorsy, down to earth adventurists without people thinking that it's a sports car-lite meant for boy racers and tryhards.

Post the 2016 one, they're even lower in the bracket.

>tfw no gt86 with toyota I4

Subaru? Not even once

That's because drilled rotors is an idiotic meme that their customers demand.

>Hurr durr where are muh drilled rotors, I thought this was a performance car!!

Drilled rotors in racing have long since gone away after advances in pad materials made them useless, in favor of slots / hooks.

Seriously, look at any race car, like RACE car, Le Mans, F1, JGTC, and you'll see that no factory race teams drill their rotors anymore. It's all either a solid or slotted rotor.

Manufacturers put drilled rotors on their production cars to appeal to aspirational-lifestyle memelords who have no idea what they are looking at.

>>GMC

>>Above Honda

Make up your mind, Veeky Forums. I thought you hated GM.

They never had a reason to stop. The boxer engines they produce have had very few problems over the years. And dont bitch to me about headgaskets

those statistics are skewed because Isuzu is lumped in with GM.

This. Any time you see drilled rotors on a car, they're mainly for show.

Slotted rotors still have their place, though - they go a long way towards increasing/preserving that initial "bite". They do cause more wear, though.

>low profile

drilled rotors are still used, but in a street car they're lackluster compared to solid rotors

drilled rotors provide a slight improvement in response because of gases and other stupid shit, but they act like cheese graters on pads too.

also, solid rotors can hold more heat because they have more mass. more heat = less fade = better rotors

More pistons = more heat absorption. Who gives a shit though? Unless you're tracking this turd it's just jerkoff numbers.

Out-gassing is no longer a thing with modern brake pads.

yeah but steve and the crew down at the LOCAL FUCKING CRUISE don't know that.

they just know that drilled brake rotors are used on f1 cars and that's all they need to know

then they talk shit on brake pad companies when their set lasts 5,000 miles til steel hits rotor

but the heat has to go somewhere. it's better to take in heat slower and allow for more room than it is to take heat in faster than is safe