/classic car general/ - /ccg/

/classic car general/ - /ccg/

FIN edition

>Post your classic cars and trucks
>Blog about electrical gremlins
>Pray to the carb gods
>Argue about Mopar vs Ford vs Chevy vs Pontiac vs Buick vs Oldsmobile vs Cadillac vs Packard vs Hupmobile vs Deusenberg vs Auburn vs Edsel vs Cord vs Locomobile vs Hudson vs Studebaker vs AMC vs Graham

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

classiccars.com/listings/view/937419/1971-ford-torino-for-sale-in-scottsdale-arizona-85260
superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1306-4-8l-vs-5-3l-engine-tech-little-ls-slugfest/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shameless self bump

I found a 1961 Rambler American Convertible body
apparently only like 5k of them made

Looks just like pic related
I don't think I'll ever find an original engine, should I just put a small block chevy in it?

Also the steering is completely fucked

mustang II steering components, and I would throw a 283 or 327 or 305 in if you just want a cruiser. transmission is whatever, i'd go with a TH350 just for the ease of everything around it.

Good evening, dildos

how does it feel knowing /ccg/ is dead and its life support comes from two or three circlejerking tripfags?

whoops, nearly forgot

feels good man

Wasn't going to post anything but that is true and that is why Veeky Forums sucks now. But I found another community and honestly just go out and find something better to do if it bothers you that much, those fucking trip fags are having the time of their lives..

>W-who is that?

/ccg/ was never that big to begin with.

kkk's mom

I-is there more??

wouldn't you like to know?

I'm fine with them, they're cool. At least there's no Brosifine

Hey guys

I haven't seen him in here for a while

There's a reason they call them tripFAGS

No fins unfortunately

Still looks sweet though

I've been doing a bit of work and restoration of the engine bay and I noticed after installing a new throttle cable that the butterflies will only open about 45 degrees, basically to where the eyehole for the throttle cable stud lines up with the bracket.
I have a question about Carbs. What is the range of motion of the butterflies supposed to be, are they supposed to rotate 90 degrees to be WoT.

What do you guys think of this?

classiccars.com/listings/view/937419/1971-ford-torino-for-sale-in-scottsdale-arizona-85260

Yes, full rotation is 90 degrees

Full on, disgusting heresy

I guess I'll have to move the throttle bracket.

Got new shoes for Christmas. She finally has a nice rake to her.

I'm casually thinking about buying this old piece of shit and making it "new" and shiny. It's dirt cheap anyway, and sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyone here ever tried doing restoration work? Is it even possible to find parts for all of those old things, or will i have to rescue every little piece of car that can be rescued?

People shouldn't be allowed to post classic car ads without pictures of the underside. Tired of dealing with boomers and the rotting corpses they call "roadworthy".

depends on how "authentic" you want to go. if you just want to make a cool looking little funbox, then you can usually get away with really generic aftermarket parts and a few trips to the junkyard. its as difficult as you want to make it essentially.

knock the rust off it, slap on some new paint, and get a mexican special upholstry job and thats considered "restored" by some.

That's fucking sweet, I've always wanted an old 500 or 600.

fiat600ricambi.com has everything you'll need. Body panels, clutch kits, you can even buy a crankcase.

I'd probably like to go autistic authentic, to the point when (at least on first look) car looks exactly like when it was new.

Holy shit, this website is amazing. And part prices aren't even that high, i thought it will be way more expensive. If i'll stay away from buying new body panels for as long as it's possible, i should be able to afford it. Now i really, really think about buying this car.

It's even better because the car i'm considering is alive and running. Photos show it was clearly raped with weird paintwork and other attempts to make it not fall apart, but it costs less than 400 euro so i don't think i'm in position to complain about anything.

>Gets the Zastava version

What in the fuck

You stay out of my Arizona.

Get your decadent capitalist snobbery out of here

Can someone please tell me what these slavs are always picking out of their mouths? Are they eating sunflower seeds or chewing dip or what? Or just fragments of their neglected teeth?

>chewing dip
>sunflower seeds
>implying Russian farms exist

Holy fuck that's a nice looking pigeon in that pic.
Fuuuuuck I kinda want a Russian pigeon now.

I want to get a C10/K15 very bad, more specifically I want it to be a stepside. And I want a V8. Either 350 factory smallblock, whatever the p/o has, or, if I get one w/o engine, or a I6, I'll save for an LS engine. Maybe LQ.

Paint is whatever. It can look good or have patina and shit, idc too much.

So, if I go down the LS route, will summit/jegs have swap kit for LS engines? just do my research?

And I have seen aftermarket repro stepsides, is that a route I could go?

Eventually I will bag it, and want RWD, if I what ive learned so far, the GMC Sierra K15 is 4x4, while the c10 is 2wd.

I want to go airbags eventually for moar low, but not slammin. Could I lower a K15 and have an AWD lowered truck? Or is that just actually retarded because of physics?

slav here, sunflower seeds. shit's addicting

>its snowing
>closest parking lot for hooning is in the park a half a mile away
>remember that there's literally 6 gorillion pounds of salt stored there for the plows
I could just imagine my car dying from the automotive equivalent to the radioactive Elephant's Foot

The Germans called them Russian chocolates during the war lol

AHYUCK! IT LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE SHIT BUT IT'S GOT 500HP! WON'T THE GENERAL PUBLIC BE IMPRESSED WHEN I FLOOR IT AT STOPLIGHTS! AHYUCK! DEFINITELY WORTH THE $12,000 I HAD A BANK LOAN ME TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

If you're going to build your own vehicle, don't be one of those lazy fucks who thinks a "rat rod" or a "sleeper" is something noble to drive. It makes you a fucking dipshit faggot. Have some pride in your vehicle's appearance - why the fuck wouldn't you?

my baby

if you go the LQ route you could save lodesamoney if you just keep the stock shit and don't go full retard on shit you don't need like fancy chrome fuel rails or an LS intake

Sometimes you just want to circlejerk with like minded people.

There's only so much to say about classic cars, especially when you don't own one. This leaves picture dumps as all there is to do.

Looks great, Cyrus.

But actually that's super clean

Postan inna fins thread

50% of these threads are about advice; it's no more of a circle jerk than any of the other specific threads.

Checked

>Dat Chrysler letter car
Muh dick

Yeah I just want an engine that doesn't need an insane amount of work or money to get to 400 reliable hp. I was thinking LQ because of the availability, and the ability to boost it when I have the means.
>take pride in how your car looks
I already have a car that I am proud of showing off. Now I want a truck that will go like hell and I don't have to think twice about the paint. The pride comes from how I will make it go fast. Not how many people think the paint is mint.
What is your opinion of ICON derelicts? They're rusted but oh my lord are they gorgeous.

If you go LS, are you going to do EFI or carb? Your going to either need to run a standalone ignition system, or do an add on unit to the front of the cam cover I think.

I own a 2CV and have a problem with rust as is common in 2CVs.
I found a lineX painter and might be offered a discount if we agree on some kind of promotion.
My question is, does anybody have any advice on using linex on oldtimers or can generally advice what to do with cars that just rust faster

Doesn't the water pump drive off the end of the camshaft, or is that the LT?

Never mind, it's the LT.

Not sure, but either option is retarded expensive. You just have to figure out your budget, desired power level and how handy you are at tuning a car with a screwdriver.

Honestly, I'd look for an aluminium 5.3 with the flat top pistons. You can make serious power out of the mouse motor

superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1306-4-8l-vs-5-3l-engine-tech-little-ls-slugfest/

I was thinking about Holley's Dominator EFI. Wont fuck wit carbs unless i get a truck that already has a smallblock in it.

Not bad. I'm jelly, those are sweet. Pricey but sweet. If you have the money to spend on that, you'll want to get yourself some tasty msd goodies.

Oh yeah. The engine is going to be without a doubt the most expensive parts.
That and getting a welder.
But both of those things will last long past the life of this project hopefully.

A few pictures of my Lincoln after I cleaned her up; most of the black Texas tree residue washed right off. Only the top requires additional attention.

Vinyl tops make me feel some way.

It looks great though, I'm genuinely impressed by how good they looks.

Oh hell yeah. I say go for it. Later down the road, you can always turbo that motor fairly easily too.

On GM trucks right up thru the '90s, the 'C' is 2wd and the 'K' is 4wd, and 10/15 are what used to be used for weight ratings before 1500/2500/3500. Best of luck finding low-rust for cheap.

As a kid, my neighbours had a T-bird in that same bodystyle, same colour combo, and same rust spot.

from what I understand you could accidentally 400+hp with a boosted LQ with the help of stock parts and ebay

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about this guy. Think maybe somebody that is seriously considering an expensive project like that might have other vehicles with other uses?

Do you take pride in the quality of paint on your hammers and wrenches as well?

Is it really that hard to understand that people enjoy having vehicles that they can use, abuse, and play with without worrying about paint chips, scratches, dirt, and maybe some surface rust?

Yeah; vinyl tops are one of those ideas that are hit or miss. On this car, I like it, but not on others. The biggest down side is the rust spot that inevitably forms where noticed.

My buddy with the '72 Comet's 302 restoration/swap is moving along nicely, looks great already. Still has a ways to go before it's ready to drop in, but damn is it starting to look pretty.

for 73-87 chevy/gmc stepsides its not too difficult to find original body panels, even the stepside fenders, aftermarket ones arent too great and theyre very pricey.

Pic related is the Comet, currently stock with a 200 I6.

Finding a 69 Chevelle like that is such a dream

Would never ever paint it

Where did he get the v8 from? That looks familiar. Explorer?

>Generic Windsor
>That looks familiar
okay.

Also why aren't you keeping the EFI on yours?

Pulled it out of a 90s Mustang for a couple hundred bucks.

Not my engine. He prefers carbs and doesn't like the idea of having EFI in a '72 Comet. It's his car, I ain't about to tell him to do otherwise, I'd probably feel the same way in his shoes to be honest.

Got all of the smog crap off of my Lincoln; except the cats, and it's got a decent amount of power.

New tires to follow soon; as well as a a few switches and some body work.

Oh, sorry mate that was directed at Kit Kat. He's planning on taking a 302 from an Explorer, but using a carb on it.

I'm just wondering what his reasoning is.

rebuild junkyard 350 + turd gen rolling frame

Y/N

You go from the inside out dipshit

only retards paint their cars before the engine and interior are done

yes

>My engine has a knock and second gear is GONE but at least the outside looks good!

That's the logic of someone who drives a 4 cylinder automatic E36

Excellent news.

Meanwhile, work was so fucking slow today that I put a new radiator in the MkVI, I was going to do the thermostat as well, but the layout of the Alternator and the AC kinda fucked that cause the brackets are horribly in the way, or I have to remove the distributor just to get to the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing

That's the part I never liked about those cars; thankfully, they're not as bad as the later ones and only have a few buggery parts like that.

Meanwhile I can do a thermostat on the 302 in my Tbird in 30 minutes or so, cause it's a V belt system, not a serpentine belt and the alternator is on the right side of the engine.

Next thing on the list is valve cover gaskets then new coils for the rear

I just got back from a late-night Starbucks trip; not because I like the coffee, but because I have a gift card from work and I wanted to go somewhere in the Lincoln.

The steering has a fair amount of slop in it, but the bushings aren't worn and the ride is still smooth. All signs lead me to believe the mileage is accurate and the car has been neglected.

I absolutely love how, in original advertisements, it's paired with yachts.

What is the mileage on it?
I have 168 000 Km on the MkVI, but the 68 Continental has 98 000 miles

Probably has the Ford ram type power steering which has tons of slop no matter what. If it's worse around 0 degrees and gets less sloppy as you progress 100% that's the issue.

That's exactly it; though, it's a little sloppy, even for that. I bet it's worn idler arms as well.

Probably could use a new rag joint as well

and a muffler bearing

Because it's expensive to set up an EFI set up. I'd love to, but it's a lot of work and not worth the effort at this point in the trucks life. Later, definitely.

Nice. I thought it was a 90s one based off the valve covers

But... the stock EFI that's in the Exploder already.

Yeah, and I'd have to wire it, I'd have to entirely plump a high pressure fuel system with a return, I'd have to set up an engine diagnostics system, then I'd have to get someone to tune it professionally.

Plus I can sell the intakes for the price of a cam and valve springs.

What?
A rag joint is an actual thing

And a fairly common wear point, too.

Huh. So that's what those things are called.
I assume they're to take some of the vibration out of the steering wheel?

>