> Helpful links
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

When is the next jam?

People seem to be waiting until after dd12 to decide the next one

Unless there is a winter jam going on right now

To explore the potential and necessities of a certain game idea, I coded the prototype almost entirely in spaghetti and Frankencode.
Should I keep this project and refactor the existing code, or start from scratch with the new knowledge?

Also, should you write clean code from the start at all times or is it a waste of time? To see if an idea works in practice I often just tack it onto the existing code somewhere and don't even bother to use meaningful variable names. Since I don't even know if that functionality is going to stay it seems pointless to spend a lot of time writing good code and even creating new files that are going to be referenced somewhere

>meaningful variable names
Should be used either way imo. Helps both bughunting and refactoring.
Overall quick and dirty is okay to test new stuff, but refactoring is a part of gamedev one must not ignore. Starting from scratch is a bad idea, especially when it becomes a habit. It easily ends in depression when you throw out stuff every so often and start over.

Finishing a game with ugly code is more important than having a beautiful chunk of code lying around doing nothing.

nodev jam started already

Always try to aim for the cleanest code possible. However, I can't remember which dev blog I've read it on (maybe Aquaria's dev's), but there's an advice that after a while just jump to the next task and never look back. Make it as good as you can, but most importantly: make it usable for yourself. Apply your advanced knowledge into the next project, and don't bother polishing your current one to death code wise.

I usually go for spaghetti code first for testing, then clean it so that part of the code becomes reusable and flexible.

No visible progress over the weekend, but I implemented shit tons of things under the hood.
I now auto generate suspects for my game at startup.
I've externalized a lot of things so I can now add new cities and buildings just by adding files with settings into a directory.
With this I've also externalized most strings and implemented a simple variable replacement system for conversations so I can add multiple languages and variety to the game dialogues.

This game was supposed to take me two months, but it seems like I will stretch it for two more just to get something a bit more polished out there.

How bad is your spaghetti?
If it's awful then throw it away.
My prototype spaghetti isn't usually super bad, so for me it makes sense to just refactor by moving code bits into different components.

>Deadline: 10561
?

>I've externalized a lot of things so I can now add new cities and buildings just by adding files with settings into a directory.
>With this I've also externalized most strings and implemented a simple variable replacement system for conversations so I can add multiple languages and variety to the game dialogues.
That's some great progress.

I will host the comfy jam in the week after demo day 12 for anyone who is interested in getting comfy. That's january week 3.

I feel like the roguelite I'm working on is stuck in the uncanny valley of game lengths. At the moment a run consists of 4 30 minute missions. I can't cut down the length to under an hour like action roguelites because strategy games are generally not allowed to be this short and I can't lengthen the game to 4 hours like other strategy roguelites because I can't afford to commission any more art assets.

Hah yeah the deadline time is not parsed into a proper string there, I'm using int as minutes and then parsing them into human readable dates.

Thanks! It's the ugly bits that need to be done eventually, so I'm quite happy.

Be sure to put a good looking comfy banner like pic related.

The art style is lovely. Well done.

Or this

I can provide some images that might be what some people call comfy, if you want to make something new instead of using an old one.

P. Good. What's your plan for this?

Thanks! Those building assets are going away as I'm moving to auto generated city blocks, that way I can add even more variety to the game and make sure that every visit to a location looks like a different part of the city.
I'll keep the low poly style but will make the buildings more cyberpunk/derelict future looking.

Because who needs games when you have pretty art?

Alright I think I finally got this down.

On a second thought dumping my folder is too much commitment so I'll just leave one or two more images and then resume nodeving.

Post game?

I absolutely suck at math but I need to make a FPS game, that means I need to mess around with vectors and program a proper recoil system, redpill me on learning math from the ground up

You don't need to know math, just have to know how to apply algorithms. It's far easier.

What do you mean by that

copy and paste the math instead of learning it

I used to do that but it can only get you so far, not to mention you need to have an understanding of what's actually going on and what the hell you're hitting with the vectors and shit, debugging etc

I mean, you only need to know which algorithm to use when, and then know how to google it and apply it. Like saying "oh I need the pythagorean thereom", googling it, and converting it to code. By no means do you need to actually be able to do it by hand.

Ok lads, give me some dev Music.

Make a topdown shooter instead.

What's the difference

Topdown shooters require basically no math. If you're smarter than a 14 year old you can make one.

Anything good in the humble gamedev bundle?

I have had an idea for a while.. Done some planning and ready to behin. HOWEVER! It is a 4x strategy making use of some 3D, but not heavy, intense moving models and such. Will GODOT suffice or should I got balls deep into unity?

The reason you can't imagine any completely original game concepts is that you define new games in terms of games you've already played.

Take random things, bung em together!

>Pidgeon barman
>Bar
>3 cows and a sheep
>Mr Bacon, the evil bacon lord wants to turn all animals in the world into trees
>Can only be stopped by eating the pig army, you are the only human around and the last hope

Is this shilling now? every thread the same question shows up and very similar conversations stem from it.

Go buy it, or don't.
If you have to get advice on whether or not you should be spending a dollar then you probably should not be spending any money.
On the other hand, if you are a shill like I'm suspecting: it's time to stop. If you aren't, check the previous 4 threads for the answers you want.

nice tomba ripoff

Stories and settings aren't videogames.

;_;

Been done already anyway. Also he said concepts, which can start with stories and settings. Not mechanics. See: Concept Art - Where the art shows all the gameplay and mecahnics. Idiota.

Are you going to use mostly sprites or models?

To make 6 Worlds, 4 levels and a boss each, levels are challenging with the game play of a japanese shoot em up, mixed with a 3d platformer.

You have 3 shots you can do, blue, red, and yellow. Enemies come in those 3 colors as well with the only way to kill them being firing your shots at them.

No story yet, not sure on how to do a good story for this one when its focus is gameplay.

Dude, this is like, my first time in AGDG. I just noticed that I got a mail in my promotion folder from Humble Bundle, and since I'm not experienced with gamedev tools, but am interested in game development, I was wondering if any of those are good,and instead of having to sift through everything myself, I thought I'd ask.

It will probably end at a 70/30 2D/3D split as its very much a point and click through menus interface.

I suppose like a CIV game but without units that move across hex tiles. More towards endless space.

why not just buy them for a dollar and be done with it

Is it pronounced boくbe or bo-cube

No problem, check the previous threads, or use google. But honestly if you can't do your own research on stuff and need to have your hand held while you spend $1 you probably shouldn't do it .
These questions are pointless.

so rather than using a camera raycast to the floor through the mouse position for the player to look at, you have a blank object set to the mouse position and have the player look at that?

Dude, all modern programming languages can parse timestamps use that it's easier to manage. Just Google [your language] + timestamp

bo is lesser than be?

Khan Academy is pretty good.

I'm not using unix timestamps or any other sort of standard thing, and I already have it implemented (check the date on top of the sidebar). I just didn't parse it in the contract details panel, no biggie.

>I suppose like a CIV game but without units that move across hex tiles. More towards endless space

Sounds like a job for Unity

Have you made a game before? The scope of any CIV like game is huge.
I'd recommend doing something smaller before if you have never developed a game.

I have written software before, I have created websites before, but never a game.

I understand scope and hopefully have designed and planned well enough to remain within scope.

I might do something smaller anyway to get used to using unity.

What is the best software to model and animate for beginners? I don't need great detail or textures, just be able to model basic shit and basic animations

no mixamo shit please, I mean in general from objects to people

I kinda want to try making that flower girl raising game for comfy jam but I can't figure out how the actual gameplay would be like while still being comfy and non-lewd
help? maybe some kind of pikmin clone where after raising them, you take them with you to do stuff?

the best scenario is to write terrible spaghetti as fast as possible while prototyping and then once you know exactly what you need you engineer proper systems to meet those requirements

but that basically never gets to happen

A big housing game were farming and making your house is the only real goal, and happy flower makes you earn money for buying more pretty things.
Add good chill-out music, and a little town to visit and 2-3 person to talk to, and that's it.

maybe something like you run a little comfy village with them

What about just a regular raising sim but instead of girl, you would raise flower girls? I don't think that you should overthink the concept, especially if you want to do it for a jam.

>tfw people keep having ideas really similar to yours

Like who?

How about a beauty contest like in Pokémon DPP where you dress your flower and make her wear shiny things? with a cute dance minigame.

Taking care of various types of plants and flowers that are just moe anthropomorphized versions of them. A bunch of normal gardening/farming stuff but made into cute and fun gameplay/minigames.

>that whole idea
Hnnngggg.

Other than that: user, all flowers are beautiful and pure. A competition would only lead to bullying and shaming, and many flowers to become sad. You wouldn't make a flower sad, would you?

The alraune idea guy

Actually flowers are in constant competition to attract polinizing insects

I want dozens of flower lolis come running as I open the door shouting and welcoming me home so I can headpat them one by one and tell them what good girls they are

Plants are brutal warriors of nature who understand that only the strongest may survive. Many will not even germinate, let alone survive their environment. When in competition for elements, they sit and resign themselves to their fate if they cannot overcome the opposition, knowing full well it is the only way for life to continue without degenerating.

And I guess here's your idea, user. Raise flowers so they become more resilient towards nature disasters, harmful insects, weed, and to become more pretty so they can mate with good insects, in order to raise a new generation of flowers. The final goal is to breed the ultimate flower. So like Spore but with flower girls.

That doesn't sound very comfy though

>breed ultimate flower
>games turns into Day of the Triffids

How difficult is network code in unity?

Do people still play shitty exe games?

How does unity charge in terms of revenue making... If you are making over 200k do you have to subscribe to their subscription model?

Unreal's 5% sounds more appealing.

420$/year subscription vs 10 000$ revenue

What's their subscription model anyway?

math isn't about number. math is about manipulating infinity.

think of a point on a number line. lets say it's at 0.5. that the bullshit way to think about it. the units are things we made up. we could slap other units on the line and say the point is at 1.7423045. the point is not a number. the point is is just *there*. we make number to describe the point.

the point's name is pogo.

now imagine we have another point. we'll name it 'polly'. polly is moving toward pogo. but, polly got attacked by dark eldrich quadrilaterals from the third dimension which gave her a status effect of moving half her distance each time she takes a step. sucks to be polly.

so zombie polly is moving toward pogo. she moves 1 unit at first, then 0.5 units, then 0.25 units, then 0.125, etc, always moving closer, but always slowing down. will this hollow shell of polly ever make it to pogo?

no. but yes. it's irrelevant

points are just *there* at a position on the infinity. even when polly is moving an infinitely small amount and is an infinitely small distance away from pogo, if you zoomed in infinitely, she'd still be infinitely far away.

and here is the weird thing

two points are always infinitely far away from eachother.

so how do we say if a point's position is equal to another point's?

when it's "close enough" based on the units we're using. the units that we made up to give sense to the infinity.

on these units we invent functions like add, subtract, multiply, negate, and all that, just to move these incomprehensible vaguities of points around the infinity.

so as you can imagine, we try to make up whatever shit gets us the answer we want (without breaking the other shit we made up, of course)

enter higher learning

you will have a much easier time with higher math when you realize it's not about counting apples, but the result of centuries of enginedevs soiling napkins trying to find some god damn way to make rotations work right. we call them mathematicians.

>comfy jam
but the next jam is mecha

No recap monday?
Hooo....

>next jam is x
stop pretending anyone could stop him from having whatever jam he wants

>jam babies
Demo day is right around the corner

fuck I've been a massive nodev today and with dd12 so close

b-but that's anarchy!

>Demo day is right around the corner
stop pretending anyone could stop him from having a jam whenever he wants to

That's pure poetry, user.

>wasting your time with worthless jams

>wasting your time with worthless games

>letting other people define the worth of things to you

>worthless jams
Jams are a good way to learn. Also here are my jam stats.

Deal with it, agdg has shit taste for jams.
People here should focus on "game with x mechanic", "game with x restriction" or "game with x artstyle" instead of "x themed game"
It would be more fun, and you would actually try and learn new stuff.

>agdg has shit taste for jams
you're agdg. you have shit taste for jams. we shouldn't listen to you.

>making games
lol

Same goes for you.

i'm waiting for jam jam

I'm really wondering if I should filter the word jam now.