FC RX7

Looking at buying an FC RX-7
What am I in for? Assume I'm familiar with changing oil and tires and that's it.

Link to said RX-7
dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5926186111.html

Youre gonna get nothing but memes.
Im a rotary mechanic for 15 years. Ill answer questions, but youre in for a ton of missinformation and haters here

I'm just curious as to how tricky it is to work on, live with, etc
What do you think of the car in the ad? I'll be picking it up as a secondary project car with the intention of going really fast.

I DD'd one for 7 years with only a starter failure at over 200k miles.
That being said, it doesnt mean youll have the same luck.
The rebuilt engine sounds promising but you need to know who built it and what exactly was replaced. The hot/cold start is concerning and could be a number of issues. It raises the question of the quality of the rebuild and if the compression is good.
Oil on start up is bad (after its been sitting)
Inspect the pulsation damper. They are the #1 cause of fire for an RX7.
Inspect oil feed hoses
Inspect for oil leaks
Oil pressure should read 20 to 30 psi at idle.
If those things clear, youre probably ok
>oil pressure/leaks
>compression
>no fuel leaks
>find out who rebuilt it and what was replaced

Also a bad EGR would not cause start issues

Say I decided to buy it and possibly fix it myself, what do you reckon It'd run me?
Also is premiering necessary or is that just the FD?

Premixing*

user, I'm not the tripguy but I'm already feeling your in over your head

let me guess you want to daily drive it as well?

Premixing is a meme or a bandaid for a broken OMP. Its not necessary.
I dont know exactly what needs to be fixed so i cant give you an exact number.
You just have to start diagnosing things. Most of it is very easy and free, and there are a lot of great writeups everywhere.

Wow, aren't you presumptious, and you didn't even read the post in which he said that this would be his second vehicle. Literacy is important

Daily driving it involves delivering pizza in it.
That's why I have a fun Honda. Problem is, I like how fun and reliable the Honda is and i want a car to wrench on. I can't wrench on the Honda the way I want to without affecting my gas mileage poorly (it already drinks premium) and I can't find another DD that fits the criteria of fun and reliable.
As far as rotaries I do feel a bit in over my head, yes.
Alright. Most important question, hypothetically I get it up to par, how expensive is it to make it fast?
I'm a Texas faggot so not many tracks, aiming for a street legal car that can still spank above it's weight on the drag strip.

You would have to turbo swap it. Its not a good idea to add turbo to NA because of compression.
Turbo swaps are common. Just go S4 to S4 for max easy.
Otherwise just add a header and go as light as possible.

I read enough to know this faggot is gonna run it into the ground. Just get something with a big simple v8 if you want to go fast OP.

Problem is I can't find a mustang as cheap and unfucked as I can find this RX7 unless I want a vert. And I don't like verts.

Also, all cars are going to get run into the ground, let me have my fun.

Do it then, I'm sure it will be the perfect candidate for a drivetrain swap before the end of the year :^)

Why are you so angsty over this.

The rx7 is NOT for you. Don't feel bad, its not for most people. You're complaining about your Hondas mileage? Try 13mpg average for the RX. And I guarantee it will cost you 3x what you think it will. They really are for rotary fanatics only.

You won't think its so fun when you run it into the ground in a months time

Why not a 240sx or miata?

Both objectively worse cars

>Assume I'm familiar with changing oil and tires and that's it.
I agree. But not if this is your skill level

>complaining
More like conscious of it. Is that bad?

get a corolla 1.3 and shut the fuck up