Ask a Volt owner anything

Ask a Volt owner anything.

Why would you get a Volt?

I originally got it for Uber, then I found out it's not eligible. I still like the car, so I would rather keep it.

How much time for a full charge?

10 hours on a standard house outlet, but it must be switched to the 12 amp charge rate, manually, from an option in the infotainment screen, before every charge. If not, it defaults to the 8 amp charge rate, which takes 16 hours.

Apparently there was an issue with some plugs being damaged from the 12 amp charge rate, so they added this feature to the 2013 through 2015 model year.

If you have a level 2 charging station, the charging time is 4.5 hours with no need to change anything.

Are you a raging homosexual or a woman?

how the fuck is a volt not eligible for uber while priuses are?

I'm bi and male.

Why wasn't it eligible? It has four doors and is newer than 2006

It must seat 4 passengers, and the 2011-2015 Volt only seats 3. The 2016 and up Volt does seat 4 passengers.

See

3? That doesn't make any sense

>the 2011-2015 Volt only seats 3.
wat? my dad's friend has one and it can definitely seat 4

It only has four seats. One for the driver, and three for the passengers.

How does it do on long trips, like 700 mile road trips at 80mph highway speeds

It doesn't

>700 mile road trips
>electric

Just some curious questions.

Do you get the promised MPG even till now?

Have you done any long tours/trips in it? If then how was it with you?

Is it worth getting one used?

Does it actually regen-battery while braking?

Are you a fag?

I took a trip from California to Utah and back, going from 70 to 85 MPH on the freeway. Mixed with city driving, I averaged 33 MPG. I stopped 3 times for fuel in both directions.

Is this supposed to be an achievement and reason to "go green"? A 20 year old diesel hatchback gets 50mpg

Less maintenance is a good reason.

what car actually have a 700 miles range at 80 mph?

>Do you get the promised MPG even till now?

Mostly, yes. Falling under is more common than going over. Driving style makes a bigger difference in this car than any other car I've driven.

>Have you done any long tours/trips in it? If then how was it with you?

Yes, see . The only issue I had was going up the steep grades at high speed. I didn't engage "mountain mode", so I lost power two or three times, which limited my speed to 55 MPH until I crested the hill. Had I engaged "mountain mode", I would not have lost power.

>Is it worth getting one used?

Absolutely. I recommend it more than any other car for $15-17k, which is about how much they're going for now with low miles.

>Does it actually regen-battery while braking?

Yes. The engine sometimes shuts off when going down hills and stays off for a minute or two after reaching level ground, running purely on energy the regeneration stored while going down the hill, before starting the engine again. It also almost always shuts off when coming to a stop, using the regenerated power to run the accessories.

I briefly talked with a Tesla salesman and he told me I had to have some company come and install a charging station in my house. Did you have to do anything like that with a volt? I'm really debating getting an electric car for my work commute.

See

The Volt is most efficient in short, local distances when the driving is on electric only and the engine is never used. When the Volt is running only on the battery (which lasts for 25-50 miles depending on conditions and driving style) the Volt has infinite MPG. I have driven about 18k miles in it, and including the trip to Utah, I have averaged 75 MPG.

You can, and you will have a faster charge, but you don't have to. You can plug it into a standard house outlet and charge from empty to full in as low as 10 hours, or you can buy a charging station, or "EVSE", and charge in as low as 4.5 hours.

If your commute is 40 miles or less, and you aren't running the heater, you will likely cover your whole commute on electric power only.

Jesus fuck they won't let you uber unless someone can be tightly crammed in the middle of the rear

that's the stupidest business decision I have ever seen

I think they should let people with any amount of passenger space drive for Uber. If their car is a two seater and can only seat one passenger, they should be able to pick up people who are riding alone.

I'd love to get an uber if I could get it in a Ferrari or something

Uber has a division with only luxury cars like the S Class and Model S.

come to think of it, the ferrari ff would be an amazing uber car but too bad it only has 2 doors

Nice retro front plate.