Driving Conditions?

Today it's supposed to snow like 2-5 inches from 10am to like 9pm.

I have a date for tonight but as a newer driver... I am not well versed in driving in snow and I fear getting stuck or sliding in the car with her or something.

It is embarrassing because I am 26 and only recently started driving. I just want my date to go well. I don't want a disaster. I don't get many dates.

What would you do? I drive a 2008 Toyota Camry.

I kind of want to call off the date out of worry but a part of me has too much pride to admit defeat at the hands of the snow. Would you call off your date due to snow?

Winter tires?

I would say invite her over but your mom might be overbearing

Well, what is snow management in your town/area like?

Any hills/inclines?

What tires are you on?

I am on regular tires but they are brand new. Haven't invested in winter tires yet. Was considering. How effective are winter tires over regular ones?

Also, my area has good snow management from the city. I live in New England. Just not sure how good the snow will be managed on a Saturday evening.

Not too many hills or inclines.

I live with a relative yes but we split rent.

If you are going out on a Saturday night, traffic shouldn't be too bad. So just take your time and be safe. Only way to git gud at snow driving is to practice.

When I turned 16 and got my license it was Oct or Nov and the first big snow storm my mom told me to go out driving in it at night when there was no traffic. Spun it around a bit and had some fun.

Just don't drive like an idiot and you're all aces.

I am a really cautious driver to begin with. I was more concerned about the girl I am taking out and her safety.

Since the snow is spread across the whole day and I assume other people are driving it... that means the main roads should be fairly clean right?

Also, do any of you have tips on what to do during a slide? I have a front wheel drive car.

>fwd
Just let off the gas and try to straighten out.

And if you are getting 2" across the whole day, that shit will probably be clear by 9pm. Or at least there will be salt on the road so it will just be slush.

Well they say 3-6 inches now and my date starts at 6pm.

According to the news the snow starts at 10:45am and goes to about 9pm. 3-6 inches

You should be fine. Especially in the Northeast, the plows will be out and keeping up with it.

The only time up there that it really gets difficult to drive (assuming you live in an urban or suburban area) is when it starts snowing at like midnight and dumps 10"+ between midnight and 8am. The plows have a hard time keeping up with it in time for AM rush hour.

Just take your time and you will be ok. When I lived up north, I used to go out driving in the snow just for fun and as long as you know what you're doing, it is easy to get around even in a low riding FWD car as long as it isn't Alaska blizzard conditions.

Where you at? It dumped on us here in VA

Driving in snow is ezpz. Be gentle on the gas and brake. Don't go too fast. Leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front. Differences in snow thickness/ruts might try pulling your car one way or another but just stay calm and keep the wheel straight. Downshift the trans to 2 and 3 to engine brake if necessary.

I am from Massachusetts. The best state in the USA friend.

Kek. Funniest thing I have seen all day.

Yeah nah, worst Commonwealth friendo

Hasn't Massachusetts become a literal DUDE WEED state?

What is the most snow you have driven in safely?

Snow tires are worth every penny. I have studless toyos on a front wheel drive civic and the car does just fine in snow

These pretty well cover it but there's a bit more.

It's been my experience that the car warns you that you're going too fast/quick before biting you in the ass. Usually manifests itself as not quite responding like you're used to. Like you're going in a straight line and you correct a bit and you find yourself thinking "that was odd/not quite right". That's your warning. Listen to it. Don't panic, just back down until the car responds normally again.

The other one is an almost dizzy feeling when going around corners and the car slides just a bit. Again, that's your warning. Be less aggressive on the turns.

If you're in some really slick shit and you're trying to accelerate and it's just not going, more throttle isn't going to help. Back off and let the tires find some traction. You may even have to stop completely and start over really gently.

yeah, it's legal now.

i live here and hate it for one reason only: infrastructure. the place is too densely populated and there is zero chance of anything ever improving. the roads, traffic, city congestion, etc... is ALWAYS going to be shit. there is nothing that will ever be done about it and the population just keeps increasing.

it's a good place to raise a family if you're boring and just work, but pretty shit for everything else. zero nightlife. zero good roads. assmad liberals everywhere. cold as fuck.