Spin Recovery

It snowed for the first time this year where I live, so naturally I went driving this morning. Mostly, I just wanted to get a better feel for snow driving and how to recover from slides.

So let's say you are driving along in an AWD car and make the mistake of applying too much power and induce some wheel spin. One thing leads to the other (car starts to slide, opposite lock, now car starts to slide the other way, opposite lock, etc.), and the car is sliding sideways (or almost sideways, at maybe a 70 degree angle). You are at max opposite steering angle but the slide is getting worse. I have always heard "when in doubt, power out" and things like that. However, it seems that power doesn't really help in that situation. What's the best way to regain control in that situation.

Also, please don't respond unless you have actually tried it. A week ago I would have just been a douche and said "POWER OUT BRUH" because I am an idiot.

wow that image is so fucking lame. Delete it and get off of Veeky Forums (at the very least Veeky Forums) forever

thanks senpai

Why'd you call me senpai? Fucking idiot. Did you not notice the file name??? I said sorry...

>letting an AWD vehicle get out of shape that much
You're hopeless.

Also, the way to save a car at that point doesn't work that well with AWD, so you're doubly fucked.

You don't want to slide. If you are sliding sideways you're doing things wrong. You were going too fast.

As for the "power out", if things are slick, and you turn your wheels, it is possible the car will keep going straight. like you never turned the steering wheel. if you just tap the gas the tires steering will kick in.

It is also wise to approach a stop sign at slower speeds.

Oh, right. That makes perfect sense. Turn right to go left. Yes, thank you! Or should I say No, thank you, because in Opposite World, maybe that really means thank you.

>unaware of the worldfilters
you're a fucking idiot desu senpai

Heres an idea
>find a big empty lot
>figure you shit out

Every AWD drive car doesn't handle the same, some are symmetrical, different torque vectoring, different front/rear power splits. Figure out what works for you.

watch initial D kid, it'll teach you the real secrets to drifting from episode 1

>???
>...

baka

>Go to big empty parking lot on a snowy day to test the handling characteristics of my winter tires
>Gradually start pushing the car more and more to find the limits
>Practicing slide recovery
>Cop shows up
>Tickets me for "careless driving"

I guess they'd rather deal with accident scenes.

Reddit pls go and stay go

where do you live? I've done far dumber things than you and I've never gotten a ticket.

Consult your local laws. They can't do that most of the time. They also shouldn't do that. It's the legal equivalent of ticketing you for doing a burnout in the middle of your own privately owned acreage if the parking lot was not paid for and built with taxpayer money.

The most that should happen where they can't do that is trespassing charges from the lot owner

ease off the gas and straighten your wheels until you get traction and accept your fate only power out of it if you have room for fun or need to try as a last resort t driver

best post in the thread

except for the aqua image

Happened to me for the first time ever. Ended up in the classic "going too far left, omg turn the wheel all the way right, now i am going to far right etc etc" ended it with brakes before i crashed into something.
I was fine the other times when i could catch it early and straighten the wheel at the right time.

Parking lots are private property and snow drifting is technically stunting. Unless you're on a closed off auto-x course it's technically illegal.

Huh? His post calls me senpai. It would seem that HE is unaware of the word filters. Jesus you're dense.

Not a redditor.

just don't lock the brake