Summer tires in the winter

who else is dumb enough to do this but me?

snowing for the first time here
awd gets me going, but stopping and turning is squirrely as fuck but manageable so far

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tMhIbGtkTZw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>summer tires in the winter
I do this all the time.

Feels great living in SoCal :^)

If you're in a place that allows you to get going, handle and stop on summer tires during winter without impeding or endaginer other trafficants then there is no reason to buy winter tires

Winter tires make a big difference. I've never been a winter tire, but there's a marked difference.

Yeah I used to have them on the rear of my m3, otherwise it wouldn't move in the slightest snow

I fell for the all-season meme. I thought they'd be good enough in the winter and decent in the summer but they're actually just bad everywhere. I guess they're alright in the rain but I don't live in the tropics so rain isn't a season.

except for actually living in socal

literally running summer tires on my RWD meme car right now. it's really not that bad. you just have to turn slow and give yourself room to brake.

This, why would I even need winter tires, there is max 5 cm snow here and that is probably only for 1 day a year.

I'm only doing it this season because I haven't found a set of rims yet and It's already January.

Right now it has 80% Michelin Pilot all season's

So far so good. Most we have gotten about 6 inches at a time so far this year though.

>never again

Yeah, I use all seasons year round, but tried my sister's car with winter tires, and it was surprising how much better they are.

I got by with them in the winter without any real problems getting going because AWD but they were worthless for stopping and cornering. I recently moved south so I don't have to worry about snow anymore so it's not like it's a big deal at this point. I didn't have many options at the time I bought them because I could only afford one set of tires but I won't be doing it again.

nah it's great. All the trash-talk you hear about SoCal is from people who have never actually been here

>endaginer

What is wrong with me

You're a tripfag that's one thing,

Tyres are alpha and omega in winter-time.
"All seasons" are a disgrace on ALL road surfaces.

Watch my RWD car with open diff reverse out and up a snow covered driveway. Made possible with traction control and proper Nokian Hakka 8s

It bothers me that I have to share the road with you poor pieces of shit that are sliding all over the road crashing into each other. If you're too poor to buy appropriate tires, ride the fucking bus

Yup over here

Fucking jelly of that wagon.

Using summer tires in temperatures freezing and below actually damages them. Not only are you getting less traction but you're wearing them out faster.

I hear you bro.

Was thinking of getting Pilot Spot A/S for some big bear/mountain high/mammoth road trips. But I decided fuck it. Pilot Super Sports.

Pretty much, we have our problems sure:

1. Traffic Sucks
2. Bad Gun Laws
3. Cost of living
4. CARB bullshit

But we also don't have to worry about freezing to death, weather is great year round, food is great - the variety of cuisine and fresh produce, and people open minded AF out here.

and all the socal praise are from people who have never left socal
t. former socal current norcal

>Be Minnesotan
>never change tires for winter
>adjust my driving for the road conditions (slow down, increase following distance, be prepared to miss a turn if I am going to fast)
never had a problem

Came here to say this, the rubber in summer tires will quite literally freeze once you're below the glass transition temperature for a specific tire, and they can crack and become damaged. This hurts the life span of the tire in addition to making them unsafe. Winter tires suffer from a similar problem, as when the temperature is very warm out they will become sticky and gooey and melt because winter tires are made of a softer rubber compound.

tl;dr use summer tires in summer and winter tires in winter, or all season but all season is shit so you probably wouldn't want to anyway

I run winter tires not because of the snow, but because of the cold. My summer tires become utterly useless when it dips below 5C, which is pretty often around here (Wisconsin).

Winter tires are awesome when it does snow though. Combined with WRX AWD, it's almost impossible to get into any real trouble unless you do it on purpose.

>never had a problem
Driving slow and missing turns would be a problem for me 2bh

I have done it for 2 winters and this is the 3rd. It is not fun at all but doable. Would not recommend unless you are cheap like me. If there's no snow it really isn't bad the tires are just hard as hockey pucks.

Since I almost used the current rubber up I'll be getting a new set of summers and ordering a 2nd pair of wheels with winter rubber in the summer while they are cheap.

thank you
here's more

>"All seasons" are a disgrace on ALL road surfaces.

I'm running all seasons on a Tundra, in Northern Canada. Only have problems if I try to go from a stop to uphill, but then the 4x4 takes care of it

get rekt fggt

It's been interesting but I made it

youtube.com/watch?v=tMhIbGtkTZw

Strange neighborhood.

One 400k+ house next to a 180k dollar house....wtf

its only manageable because you shits have laughable winters. try the same on the road with any hint of ice, and you're gonna end up on a tree/ ditch/ roadsign etc.

ice is not fun on winter tires either.
>went for a ride today to charge up battery, 6F outside
>gonna go through the forest, there's some bends and shit
>reach forest
>entire road is shining from ice
>understeer on braking, oversteer on power
>this was a terrible idea
>find shortest way to the main road

Na that's a 200k house

always wondered, would this slow drift count as stunt driving with a cop

just because it's a bungalow doesn't mean it's cheaper.

Left side is brick veneer and right side is . Well normally bungalows are proper brickhouses.

I drive a 430hp RWD car with 245/45R19 summers. Just take it slow and you'll be alright.

First winter snow here in TN, 6 inches in a night and 20F outside.

Hankook Evo2s like a fukkin mad cunt

I got my first set of blizzaks this year. Absolutely amazed. My all seasons last year had me sliding out even at 2.5k rpms.

Took this pic of my cul-de-sac Christmas morning. Made some good circles

Just get some tire chains to run on the really snowy/icy days
Turns any tire into a winter tire
Upstate NY here, salted roads are great til your new car rusts first winter. Wash my car twice a day to keep the salt off

What are some recommended winter tires?

Depends on where you are, studded/unstudded, what surfaces you're on and your budget

Same here man.

My neighborhood never gets plowed and Blizzaks have made getting out no problem. Before I couldn't even get out of my driveway.

pilot sport alpine pa4
prezo runs them and hes an expert on cars and car accessories

Michelin X Ice xi3
Blizzak
General Altimax Arctic

Those are the only 3 legitimate options.

What model is it?

Thanks m8

Have non matching all seasons on my 09 mustang.

Its a deathtrap in the snow. I drove about 65 miles to school and feared for my life the whole way. Sliding all over the place going 30.

>living in SoCal
We are talking about snow, jackass. Not temperatures below 75 degrees.

>implying I can do any of those things in any amount of success above "fucking minimal"
Being poor leads to some fun skids

Did this last year in a mid engined car with only one fully functioning brake with no abs. In really snowy or icy days I had to throw it in neutral because the one brake couldn't stop the rear wheels from crawling and moving me forward.

you left a shithole for another shithole, nice

depends on the cop, i've seen a few who do indeed count it. Usually those cops are up north where sliding on ice is frowned upon unlike here in TN where its horrifying going on half an inch of snow, so you end up getting a pass for sliding
knoxville fag here. We're fucking pussies.

People like you are fucking assholes

Put all seasons on your shitbox at least, have some decency. Your the same dickhead that's on the highway going 10mph creating a major safety hazard

I'm not running winter tires but they're also not summer tires per se... [picture was taken ~30min. ago btw.)

I think I found it. Lexus IS Sportcross, right? The taillights in the second video are pretty unique.

Yes. I have a sedan, which is much more common.

I ran Toyo T1R's year round on a '00 540iT. Was great fun in the snow.

Well, it depends on where this slow drift is done. When I did it was an early Sunday morning on a dead-end road leading into a huge parking lot with no cars on it. Police here (Norway) have actually encouraged us youths to find our cars' snow limits in this way, given that there's no danger of damage to peoples property, people walking by etc.
Also; as opposed to the summer, the speed is much lower, and there are no skid marks on the ground. I guess it would be annoying if I had a loud-as-fuck car on a Sunday morning.

Yes. Lexus IS200/IS300 SportCross.
Also sold in Japan as the Toyota Altezza Gita (where an AWD version was available in connection to the 2JZ-GE!)

Hey buddy we're talking about AMERICA here, nobody gives a flying fudge about that dump of a country called Norway

I have what equates to 500lbs when wet (which it is) in sand bags in the bed of my truck over the axle. On all seasons. Haven't had any issues because I'm not a fucking moron and know how to handle snow and ice.

>turn into neighborhood that's up a 700 foot long hill, steep as shit
>people be parking on the bottom because pussies
>leave truck in D
>feather gas/brake
>climb hill without a fucking issue

Veeky Forums likes to act like if you don't have dedicated winter tires you're going to die.

>I can't afford/don't wanna spend $600 to significantly improve the safety of myself and those around me.

>Oops got in a crash now I have to pay my $600 deductible hope my car isn't salvaged.

> be in Germany
>had literally ONE day of snow this year
fuck this

As a netherlad I know that feel. But thankfully snow tyres aren't mandatory here.

no one uses winter tires in aus. there are only a few places that actually warrant them, and in winter those places are full of dumb tourists. so one or two days a year you'll get a whole bunch of cars losing control and going off the road.

Yeah, I've got some sumitomo htr z II's on my mustang, and I live in south Carolina. We've been hovering around 40ish degrees Fahrenheit sometimes as low as the mid 20s and I've been driving on them. Shoot, I hope they're not damaged, not that I had a place to store them.

They still seem to drive fine, but I've kept my hooning to a minimum. Especially after I got a speeding ticket because I thought Johnny law wasn't shit.

Winter tyres are for cold temperatures and not only for snow. Get fucked

SC eh? Whereabouts?

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1s on my GT500. Been driving maybe once or twice a week. Those damn things freeze up and I don't stop slipping until 4th gear.

Also, the police down here suck. They'll let these drunken idiots fly around, lane drift, etc but god forbid I go 26 in a 25...

is drifting bad for your car beyond tires?
And does drifting on snow/ice protect tires?

It's fantastic for your wheel bearings and axles when you slam into a curb... :)

Lexington County. Also, nice for you to have a GT500, I'm just a 2014 V6 with 3.73s and a conservative Bama tune.

Yeah, seriously, I had a coworker who drives drunk basically all the time, and he's never gotten a charge for it, but I got caught going well...much too fast on my way to work. Would've gotten away with it if I had bailed from my car as soon as I pulled into work, but he might've seen me turn into work, so I figured it wasn't going to be wise for me to argue. Hopefully they take some of the points off.

You'll get detrimental forces on your bearings and suspension if you drift on dry tarmac. This is negated on the snow and ice, as well as virtually no tire wear. Friction kills tires. When friction is very low, tires aren't killed.

It's obviously not great for them, however ice/deep snow will definitely reduce the damage to them compared to pavement. Considering you're not going to be drifting hardcore for miles to work, you're tires will be fine.

Unless you hit a curb lol

>used to live in Florida, summer tires all my life
>move to Charlotte, NC area with my family in November
>locals all tell us that there's never really snow, only sleet
>historical weather has averages in the 40s
>no problem.jpg
>yesterday happens, covered in snow
>live on a hill
>today happens, covered in ice
>I went to test my car on the hill road and end up stuck going uphill
>try to brake going downhill
>lots of room, be gentle
>lol fwd
>car shakes and sputters like hell
>lose control of the wheel
>end up in the snowbank by my driveway, lucky or I'd have been stuck at the bottom of the hill
>feel like I was just in a rally
Fuck this shit.

>>feel like I was just in a rally
>Fuck this shit.

Fuck you

>oops I have full coverage and deductable is only $100
>oops I'm not a fuckboy who can't into weather conditions

Solid arguement, I'll be sure to keep that in mind after all these winters trouble free.

deffo need some winter tires

heat gun helps though

>Fixing a piece of shit

>winter tires from 2003 for last 3 winters
Fun times, now that they've developed some kinda wobble I figure I'll buy new(er) ones for next winter.

>living in a country that goes below 0c

Lmao cucked

>be me
>think socal is pretty cool
>remember that their gun laws are trash
>remember that their emissions laws are trash
>remember they wanted the woman to win
>remember it's full of lefty snowflakes
I'll deal with WI

Also I just run all seasons because I don't have the patience for summer/winter tires. Until I get a new car at least.

Where in WI fellow cheesefag?

>living in a country where it doesn't snow
You sure know how to live m8

I'll just keep all the sikskids to myself

my 2005 corolla s is a national goddamn treasure thank you very much

>mfw my neighbour has awd but can't turn of traction control
>literally cannot get out of his parking space in the morning because TC says no

>great
>commiefornia
ahahahhahahahahahah

Where do you all store your different tire sets when they're not being used? I live in an apartment and don't have a garage to keep my winter tires in over the warm months.
What do?

Most people have them in their garage, but tire shops (at least around here) often have something called "tire-hotel" (in lack of a better translation) where they store people's tires in the off-season for a small fee.

bretty much
on contract work
going back home to portland next year
>mfw i'm leaving this shithole of a state

So, how much are a decent set of Blizzaks?
I need snow tires but school just started and I had to buy books.