College Car Cash

How much did your parents give you for a car for college?
Did they lease/buy one for you?

Not biting into the obvious bait, but is it very common for american teenagers to be given/given money for cars at the ages of 16-18-ish?

>thinking he needs a car for college
Murrica

Yes. I'm american and this is a normal practice.
Not bait.

It varies by region. It's very normal in some parts and rare in others.

Depends on the income and area, the poor area next to where I live it's really common for Mexican families to give their son pretty much all the money they have for a new base model Silverado 1500. After which the son mounts 24 inch wheels, slams the shit out of a good truck, and blasts mariachi music all day on the block

In the very wealthy city next to mine, just about every child in high school has a car upwards of 20k

Yeah most do unless you want to be restricted to the shitty food on campus and the shitty jobs on campus that every other bus rider is competing for. This might come as a shock to you, but we actually have space in america, so we aren't stack 10 refuges deep every square foot.

I don't know how common it is but because I did super well on my ACT and got like half off tuition, I was gifted a (cheap) used ranger. Was always raised with a philosophy of don't live in excess, we could have spent far more but there's no real point, its in nice condition visually and it runs well.

Nope, I'm a college student and I financed my car on my own and work to make the payments.
My parents, despite being upper middle class don't give me a dime.

Canadian. Spent my money on tuition and living expenses, not a car. Got a full-year bus pass with my tuition every year, only another $160.00 for unlimited rides for 12 months.

A car in university would mean I'd have to work three times as much to pay for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. and it would still be some lame-ass car like a Camry.

I was fine riding the bus, I have a good vehicle now that I love driving. Plus I feel better knowing that I worked to pay for what I have, it wasn't handed to me. I think that teaches young people to be more humble and responsible with their finances. Maybe not everyone (I'm sure someone whose parents bought them a car will argue they're every bit as responsible), but most people who have had to work for what they have are better off for it.

Oh shit user

None, I actually bought a Geo Metro for $100 and then learned how to do all of the maintenance myself.

I miss that car.

couldn't possibly hop on the bus to get to your part-time job 10 minutes away from campus?

I got surprised with a small boost to my down payment and a crash course in negotiations so I could roll out with the cheapest new car I could find, it's not that we're rich but they really didn't want to have to deal with me having a shit car. I still paid the lions share of the down payment.

Does anyone have any concrete numbers?
Is 10k average for those that receive money?
I'm looking to buy one of the /slowerthanaminivan/ cars.

Note that I ran a business through highschool (still run it) and made enough to cover the rest of the cost of one.

Background: Parents are middle-upper class and tuition is already paid for.
If someone in a similar situation could tell me what they were gifted that'd be cool.

Why do you keep implying 86 owners are all sponsored by mom and dad? I'm curious what you drive since you are claiming the same in other threads

10 minute bus ride is still in bus rider college job zone. You must not understand how HUGE our cities are.

>be me
>decide to join the army after high school because fuck school lol
>do my years and decide to get the fuck out
>get the GI Bill
>will go to school for free
>books payed for
>get a housing allowance of $1100 every month I'm enrolled as a full time student
>still have a job I work at part time
>use all that money to make my car awesome

Fuck the military, but it did help me out financially now that I'm a student.

>and tuition is already paid for.

I wish I lived the tendie life.

Because you only see spoiled brat manlets driving them.

uh canada must be awful.

i go to uconn full time, paid my own tuition, bought all three of my cars, and paid insurance and gas without ever taking cash from my parents.

I drive an old BMW. I'm going to college and am looking for something new.
I am not the other person from other threads, I haven't posted for months mate.

Most people have cars in HS. I bought my first shitbox for $500 when I was 16.

This is meant for

>Because you only see spoiled brat manlets driving them.
That's the dumbest shit I've heard, all sorts of cars have degenerate owners

>I need a job in college
>so I can pay for all the car costs
>but there's no jobs near campus
>so I need a car to drive to that job
>away from campus
>so I can make money
>to pay for the car I need
>to drive to the far-away job
>to pay for my car
>that I need
>to get to the job
>that pays for the car
>that I need
>etc.

Is cycling to school not a thing in murica?

For a brand new car? That's for spoiled richfags. A couple thousand for a reliable shitbox is common just so the parents don't have to cart the kid everywhere

Aside from big cities like NY public transport is horrid

Nigga, where I live is a frozen wasteland right now. Snow and ice everywhere.

Zero dollars.

My parents didn't even help when it came to looking for cars - I had to convince my older sister to drive me an hour away from home to buy my first car.

My sister, however, was given a car for free by my parents, insurance paid for, etc. No favoritism there.

>yurop

Just save about 10k got a downpayment on something nice, with that much fown payments won't kill you

Rare is parents buying kids a brand new car from ages 16 to 18

Uncommon is the 16 to 18 year old getting the hand me down car so the parents can buy a new family car

Common is parents matching their kids money towards a car

Depending on the area of course. I live in a pretty tiny rural (500 year round residents) town in az so there's not much data there however I grew up in paradise valley where brand new m3s and s classes were in student high school parking lots quite often.

>cycling in -6F/-21C (before windchill) weather to a school 27 miles/43km away

Yes, people who actually planned for life have the money to make their kids lives as easy as possible, and hopefully they do the same for their kids

This, I had 5k saved up my parents matched that so I had a 10k downpayment on something nice. Am I spoiled brat?

You mad

Don't worry user, maybe one day you will be able to afford a car that costs less than a 4 cylinder mustang. XD

salvaged 94 Geo Prizm
>couldn't even break 40mph on the freeway
>couldn't even get to the college I wanted to go to
>dropped out of college and worked at a shitty job
>meanwhile older brother got a brand new 2009 Civic and graduated college
>my brother's been jobless since he graduated 7 years ago
>saved up and bought a new Accord 4 years ago and now been working at a $50k/yr job for the past 2 years
>meanwhile my brother is still a fucking NEET

I'm older than you and I own my own house. I don't see what I'd be mad about, I'm not the child driving an underpowered 4 cylinder coupe.

What do you do for a living? Is it something respectable?

My grandparents gave me $1000 towards my first car purchase; a 1992 chevy lumnia euro sedan. It had about 80k on it and I paid about $2500 for it at the time.

I've boughtc every car I've owned since then.

Recycling center, the company is one of the largest volume exporters in the US.

$50k a year with no college sounds like a truck driver.

Well aren't you just a shining star of humility and grace.

My friend is a truck driver and hauls new cars to dealerships, he made $90k in 2016.
He told me to get my class A license and work at another company for 2 years and he'll get me in, I'll consider it in the future when shit hits the fan.

my father got me a Fiat Seicento for 1900 euroshekels

I loved the fuck out of that little car, now my sister is driving it

>amerilards

The only parents who don't buy their kid a car are the ones who had the kid on accident

$0
No. Murican. Seems to be pretty common for kids to get cars in america, most of my friends got one from their parents sometime in college

Most of the people I talk to who are truck drivers who work for companies like Prime, Swift, Heartland, and Western Express say they make anywhere from $50k to $60k a year.

None, my parents gave me nothing. They're both pretty well off too. I've never been unemployed though.
Fuck yeah it is, 4 years ago when I was still in highschool everyone had mustangs, chargers, Mercedes or high end trucks. I had a 03 honda element until it ate it a few months ago.

The company is called Professional Auto Transport and they solely just do car hauling from what I'm told.

It annoys the fuck out of me to see college aged kids with new sports cars and shit. It's even worse when they rice them out etc.

Fug, I'll be done with my degree in 6 months and finally start making grown up money. Then I can finally get a car I like.

I hear about how much truck drivers make, yet every one of them I meet is poor white trash who drives a shitbox and lives in some dumpy bungalo.

Can you please explain this, because nothing about them exemplifies that they're doing anything at all with their money.

>Fug, I'll be done with my degree in 6 months and finally start making grown up money.

>he thinks he'll be making decent money when he finishes college
>he doesn't realize it's another 5-7 years of paying your dues being a peon shitlord at any company getting paid peanuts to do bitch work before they promote you to some half-decent position

Have fun with the real world.

Hence why it helps to have a car kek

So you sort through trash for a living.

You're a garbage man. Making $50K a year.

I doubt that, but it might be possible before taxes, if you're unionized.

No, I've found that to be very common for parents to match money on the purchase price as long as said teen gets a job, retains good grades, and pays for insurance increases + gas.

My parents fucking fucked me royally and bought me a gay ass Colorado for 10k fucking retards still stuck with that pos

I used two but niggers stole my bikes 2 or 3 times. Surprisingly one came to me and returned it though.

>tfw when ur bike so shitty even a nigga don't want it for free

weeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

My dad let me lease a Toyota matrix back in 2003 when I started college. I was hyped on fast and the furious. I regret nothing.

All my truck drivers make at least 70k a year.

>get license in high school
>mom lets me drive her old 240 wagon (older than me) and she gets a newer car
>move to college
>she sold it for like $500
>eventually need car at college
>dad lets me take his old civic and he got newer car
>eventually graduate college, move across country
>dad gives me said car for free

The above scenario is somewhat common for upper middle class or so. Now some rich families do the following:

>two kids in high school, each driving age
>buy brand new car for 16th birthday for each
>they go away to college
>sell car
>1-2 year later
>they want a car at college
>buy another brand new car for them

"You can take a nigger out of the ghetto but the ghetto never leaves the nigger" same principle but with white trash.

I don't believe that though, because niggers spend their money and flash it about the second they get it. Hell, they do it with credit as long as they can.

White trash buys giant lifted trucks and toys like ATVs and motorbikes. Most truckers are actually quite poor after they finish paying for all of their expenses, plus the chainsmoking and drinking robs their bank accounts too.

spoiled entitled mellenials

Those big ass pickups can easily be 50k to 95k, harleys are from 10k to 40k truckers also love boats and rvs and those are silly pricey. Thats why they're always broke as shit.

>mommy and daddy payed for my college
>waiting for mommy and daddy to buy me a car

Holy fuck this is how white collars are born.

Maybe if you wasted time on a liberal arts degree

So?

>wasted money on any degree

FIFY

Kek, my dad started routinely calling me out for not having a job when I was 13 years old. Got tired of getting hassled about it and was able to get paper route. Parents refuse to give me any financial help to this day. They paid for clothes and food when I was little, but college, cars, etc. I've paid for myself. They wouldn't even cosign my student loans even though I was pursuing a degree for something not retarded. Pretty sure my parents are just cheap pieces of shit reasoning that by making my life difficult I'm better off. I was able to get a great job after graduating making more than enough to live comfortably and independently. That being said, with the opportunities I passed up and my 20's almost entirely spent in a library or warehouse, I've all but completely severed ties with those faggots. If they think I'm alive for the sole purpose of taking care of them when they're old, they're fucked.

Anyways, my answer is none. I got none money for a car for college.
Also, 10/10 baitpost: made me rage.

>Parents provide a means of transportation
>spoiled

Sorry you had to trudge through 3140 miles of snow and sleet uphill both ways to get where you were going. You sure know the value of money now huh

It wasn't even that bad of a bike honestly, just your regular mongoose I think. I had it for years, I think he was just some poor lil nigga who needed to get home that day. It was bizzare though. I was like 12 at the time.

what retarded state doesn't put the top two candidates at the top of the ballot?

White-collar worker: A salaried professional or an educated worker who performs semi-professional office, administrative, and sales-coordination tasks, as opposed to a blue-collar worker, whose job requires manual labor.

Free car & college = salaried professional and no manual labor?
I'll take this desu

Parents matched me at $2k for me to buy my 02 mustang gt mt my senior year of high school. I'm a sophomore in community college now and still daily it. Doubt they would've given me any more than that.

Manual labor is the best way to learn the hardest lessons in life.
>I choose to sit-in a cubicle in a dress shirt in tie everyday
Fuck that's so gay. I would never choose that
I'll bust my knuckles and sweat blood before I do that. I love working hard it's satisfying. Putting in them long hours everyday

This. Ill earn my cash instead of being an ass kissing yes man.

My fucking nigga.

I'd rather have a job that doesn't require manual labor.
Seeing as how I already run a fairly successful business, it seems like I've achieved all of the benefits without being that "ass kissing yes man".
Thanks for the reply's though, I'll consider your resume.

Then earn it yourself you eunuch

Seeing how im old enough to be your father, and a father as well, im glad my kids want to work (and do) by my side at my business I built with my two hands.

I wont consider yours kid. Enjoy your gender studies.

>tfw my dad sold me his old company car
>tfw have all maintenance records on it
>tfw it's a pretty decent first car
For $3000, it's a pretty good deal.

>I'd rather have a job that doesn't require manual labor
Cuck detected.
You think you aren't a yes man? Lmao.

>yfw I'm fucking a sexy Ass athletic girl that's 19 and her parents are fucking millionaires
>she usually dates the faggot gelled hair types that haven't worked a day in their life. Also trust fund babies.

>tell her I'm not one of those faggots and she Knows and loves it
>bends over backwards for that dick

Yeah we get the best looking girls too.

my parents bought my sister a new audi tts roadster after she graduated

I'm currently in college driving my dads old corolla

can't really do much mechanical engineering without a degree though. which is what i'm finishing up in 6 months. sure it's not super lucrative, but it's satisfying work, won't break my body, and pays decent.

I own my house also and it's worth more than yours. And I'm older than you. Go to bed David

None. It's extremely uncommon to own a car in Europe before you have a real job, especially considering that colleges and universities are usually situated in cities, and cities usually feature public transport or bicycle distances. It's not like you have to drive 30 miles through nowhere to get there.

fite me irl

Honestly what's with the animosity. We're both entrepreneurs with different ideals on how one values work. I'm glad I'm getting money, but if I weren't, I have the means to buy it myself. I plan on buying a car for my kids in the same manner. Hopefully our kids can meet one day and be friends regardless.

Manual labor for someone else makes you as much of a cuck as someone that writes spreadsheets for someone else in all honesty.
Anyway, congrats on your hot gf. Do you think rich people don't have hot girlfriends?

everyone on this board is an engineer and they all make $100K annually the second they graduate college with no debt and a new car because they have a 5.0GPA with full ride scholarship etc.

please stop with this tired fucking meme

you will be paying off student debt for the next 30 years and live a middle class existence with a financed sedan, there is nothing magical about being a mechanical engineer

you'll probably work for Black & Decker designing trays for their toaster ovens

Jesus you sound like a pussy.

ok

so what do you drive when you want to go somewhere? or go get beer? or take your friends somewhere?

what do you drive when its cold?

Do you have to go somewhere and catch a bus rather than just driving from your driveway to your destination? fucking lol i could never ever put up with that.

do you have to wait around for buses and things to show up? And PAY to ride them? kekles

how do you control the heat and music? heated seats? what about the fact that driving is fun?

?

>boohoo I'm too much of a spoiled sissy to ride a bicycle for a mile when it's raining or strap the crate of beer to my bicycle cargo carrier or go somewhere with my friends on the tram who also get free public transport in the area by being enrolled in university

all of the stuff you're listing doesn't apply to europeans - driving is not fun for them, it is an expensive chore

-gas is expensive as hell
-streets are tiny and crowded with low speed limits and cops everywhere, not to mention cyclists
-most live in tiny houses or apartments with no driveway, meaning they have to walk to a parking garage to get to their car anyways
-public transit is more frequent and better scheduled than in America, meaning you can get a bus every 5-10 minutes in most places

The car is a liberator in North America - it's a financial burden in Europe. They traded their freedom for over-crowded cities full of stinky refugees and nignogs. Plus they have lagging universal healthcare, to cover stab wounds and rape kits when the refugees get bored.

fucking roasted lmao

Also some of us poorer fags still live with our parents and commute to school. I live 2 cities away and I have clinicals in other nearby cities, I literally do need a car. But it is different for everyone

>pussy

Maybe he just likes convenience?
Why don't you just walk? Are you some kind of pussy?

It should also be noted that driving, and owning your own car, is a very individualistic thing. Europeans are of a more collective mindset, they're used to be being babied and coddled by the state. They expect public transportation as a minimum, and they'd rather have some bus take them around than have to drive themselves. For most European men, the thought of piloting your own vehicle is terrifying - what if you make a wrong turn, or get in an accident? What about maintenance? It's so complicated!

Face it - Europeans are cucks and they love being cucks. Don't try to sell them on a lifestyle they'll never experience or understand.