Is buying a used BMW a bad idea?

Is buying a used BMW a bad idea?

If it smells like curry or garlic inside, don't buy it.

>garlic
what, vampire hunters mistreat their cars?

Yes, especially pic related model.

Biggest piece of shit ever..

0/10 - You tried

Like anything, don't buy it if you can't afford it. Explained more deeply than surface statements, eurocars demand coddling and parts carry a premium. How about a $600 fuel pump when you keep running the tank below a quarter capacity because you overspend? That's for the part, bruv...

Just carefully consider it and no, not necessarily

It's a better idea than buying a used Audi at least, but that's not saying much, is it?

I asked a similar question in a post earlier. I've heard a lot of horror stories but I feel like the people that would succeed in this matter wouldn't be posting a lot of people considered over $1,000 a year a high cost of ownership. I've had nice beaters all my life. I've been Ballin on a budget forever. This is expected. But if you've ever driven a beamer and use the steptronic feature. believe the hype.

But then again Series 3 comes with its own tools kit. So what does that tell you?

If you aren't capable or don't want to fix the problems yourself then probably a bad idea because if you are gonna take it to the dealer I recommend bringing lube

top kek

It genuinely is a bad idea. Basically a Honda trans fails - $2000, a BMW trans fails - $8000, etc.

Wait what is the cause of this dude I had a curry and garlic smelling BMW this is so weird

Funny this thread pops up, sold my E90 335 today. Had I not paid for the extended warranty, I would've been out $19k in repairs over the 2 years and 10 months I owned the car. They're really fun cars to drive, but horribly reliable. And it's not just the $$$ involved: you'll spend significant chunks of time doing repairs or you'll be driving to the dealership to get the car fixed.

Don't think I'll own a BMW as a daily ever again...I might buy an E39 M5 in a few years as a weekend driver/project car, but other than that, no.

Maybe if you go with one of their older, naturally aspirated engines and do the repairs yourself, you'll be fine as far as costs go.

*horribly unreliable

lol

Had friends tell me the same, supposedly great cars but if you can't work on it yourself or are swimming in money you shouldn't get one.

>19k

jesus

Reminder that nothing in this thread is true lmao

You mean the dealer told you they were expensive fixes to make you feel better? Do you know how write-offs work?

Yes, your E36 will be exactly the same as that guy's E90. Totally relevant comparison.

for every good bmw there is 2 equally shitty bmws.

On the road?

>buy an E39 M5
youll spend every weekend trying to figure out how to get the Vanos working

1 good road one: 2 bad road ones about to blow their cooling system: 3 dead ones

I will stress again that it comes with the tool kit. They tell you off the bat You Were Meant to fix it.

That's a 4-to-1 swing.

It's not the worst. The NA I6 engines are bretty reliable and the regular auto and manual (no early SMG) are solid.

It's a BMW, so when stuff breaks parts will be more expensive than your Civic. But there is tons of cheaper afternarket, refurbished, and used stuff because it was such a popular car so it isn't bad if you do the labor.

On the other hand, it is a """luxury""" car. This means extra bells and whistles that will break and those get expensive. You probably won't find the Duralast aftermarked replacement for your heated seat or sunroof so you either have to pay big money for OEM or try and find a used or refurbished one and even those can be expensive if they are a common part that breaks and people need.

Someone told me BMW stands for "break my wallet" what do you think BMW stands for? I said "banging mad whores"

Big Malaysian Women

Blowin' much white.

You apparently don't know how warranty claims work in franchised dealerships, maybe if you get beyond doing $90 alignments you'll find out

t. the guy who bought the most broke ass E24 ever

Try breathing through your nose, tard

>job is doing alignments all day because incapable of doing repairs that require brain usage
>buys cars with good alignments
>fucks up the alignment by slamming it to the ground and adding way to much camber
>crashes into a tree going down a straight road
How is it you can't even do the one thing you supposedly know how to do correctly?

kek

How do so many of these cars make it to 250k, if there are pieces of shit? Junk cars that had 183,000 miles on it cuz I couldn't stand them anymore. BTW, American assembled.

Better than pretending to know everything on the internet and posting pictures that aren't yours acting like they are :^)
Stay salty broke boy, hop off my nuts lmao

Whose pictures are they?

>mad he is a wagecuck while big nose stanceboy owns his own shop
lmao

his gs400 was hardly stanced by the way, hes just a shit driver

lmao this gypsy faggot still posts here?

Rarely now days, but you'll occasionally find him posting his M3 or AMG in general threads.

im pretty sure heartbreaker is like 30 and retired...

30 and retarded*
ftfy

pretty sure his dad owns the shop

I bought a 2000 323i for $2k
185k miles

Most expensive repair was the MAF sensor and the O2 sensor. Everything else I did was aesthetic

why are the considered premium when it seems like people constantly have problems with them.

even when they buy them new

oh god damnit wish i didnt find this thread
what year was your 335i?
did you tune it?

You sound like a giant poorfag with no taste. I don't even like the stanceposting tripfag, but I hope you wrap your car around a utility pole. You are the real cancer here.
>memes
US dealers are cancerous and prey on the dumb and rich. No yuropoor has ever said a BMW is anything more than a VW tier shitbox.

Learn to use your own mind dummies.

Wrong person?

I've owned 8 BMW's so far,
history of my higher mileage BMW's
1995 E36 318i - 400k km - rust issues, leaky power steering
1996 E36 323i - 460k km - rust on side skirts
1999 E46 328ci - 390k km - rust on front arches
2004 E60 525d - 490k km - replaced rear suspension bushings
2005 E53 X5 3.0d - 370k km - no issues so far
amerifags convert km in miles using google
Verdict: buying a used BMW is a pretty good idea - you get a comfortable yet sporty and good looking daily driver which is relatively cheap to upkeep
My mate had a 910k km E46 330d, after 1.5 years of ownership he replaced 4 injectors and the alternator, the car run like hot shit off the shovel.

You bought a pre-LCI E90, didn't you?

The HPFP issue was a service bulletin, and even though my used 535xit was out of warranty when I bought it, BMW NA replaced the HPFP when mine went out, under the service bulletin.

Never buy a pre-LCI BMW, unless you can get it for a fart in a bottle.

>LCI
>Life Cycle Impulse

I hope that's a joke on buzzwords.

>Germans
>humor
Oh, never mind.

i bought a 335i 2011 e90 with 30k miles a few months ago build date being 5/11
how fucked am i?
i searched everywhere and its not giving a clear answer
itll say yes then later no

The cause is usually the previous owner having ordered the take-out curry from Curry Place and driving it home in his/her BMW, my friend.

You should be fine, just keep up the maintenance. It'll be worse than a 328, but not as bad as an M, and nowhere near a 760.

>2011
>335i
I'd say pretty fucked, Elliot-sama

so umm what is it like when the hpfp or the water pump goes?
cause i have to drive like 600 miles in a few weeks
as far as im aware its still the original hpfp and water pump

e90 not an e92

Buddy of mine bought his. Since owning it, I believe it had one fuel pump replaced under warranty, an unscheduled replacement of his fuel injection rail($1200 to fix but he only paid a $300 deductable), it has long cranks in the morning when he starts the car that sort of hesitates, there was a time where he was driving and the driver's door randomly unlocked but remain closed, and the car insisted that his trunk was open but it was closed and locked.

Because of that fuel injection rail thing, he's only had to tow the car once. It's survived a road trip from SF to LA consistently going 90mph, and constantly takes abuse because he pushes the car all the time.

I think it's a brilliant car when it works.

Oh and if you plan on ever taking turns going the speed limit or slower you'll be ok with the comfort package seats. Anything more than that, there's no fucking bolsters to hold you in at all.

well fuck
i looked up the car before hand and most of the bad things i read about are associated to the n54 335i
regreting the car now
has he tuned his car?

Nope. The only thing he ever changed was get rid of his run flats for regular summers. He bought his 2011 335i off carmax last year, had 15k miles on it

well i wish i had gone with a 328 now

I'm assuming you have money to spend on it since you considered a german car to begin with, so at the least you'll have a very bitter sweet experience with it. It'll empty out your wallet if you don't do the work yourself, but my god does the car perform.

You'll get warnings. I think the water pump on my 535 was about 2200 with a BMW dealer doing the work but I also had to replace the engine harness. This is not typically.

Hpfp will throw a warning and cel.

Consider this. With my 08 535 was on it drove from Baltimore to Seattle, averaging 110 though Montana. Then I went to LA from Seattle and almost back (slipped I to ditch in Hilt CA at 15mph, bounced car off big fuckin rock, very sad), as well as commuting 600 miles a week. In 14 months I did 50k miles, and only had to do a tune up when I bought it, and the water pump work at about 110k.

Have a bmw dealer do an inspection if you're worried.

The n55 should be fine, the n54 is know to be awful.

i planned on doing the work myself and was also planning on keeping the car until it dies at least above 100k miles
im more worried about the part where itll need to be towed

god damn thats alot of miles for 14 months
i plan on having a dealer do the inspection next week giving them time if work needs to be done before the long drive

yea thats what i thought too
but ive noticed on reddit/bmw theres been a string of n55s fucking up

Get AAA, and insist on a flatbed tow. The only time I had mine towed was for the water pump,

Well, that's not entirely accurate. The incident I Hilt required a flatbed and a boom truck, but that was more of a recovery than a tow.

what was the mileage on the car or pump when it went out?

About 110k. They're an 80k line item, but most people don't replace them unless it's needed.

I knew it was coming, and wasn't worried about it when it happened.

what about the hpfp?

if you're looking at a used BMW and it has a turbo, then steer clear.

Not if it's been looked after.

Never had to replace mine. When I bought it, it already had the fixed part number in it.

what year is your 335i?
and what mileage was it when you bought it?

Mine was a 535, 08, I think it had 80k on it.

If you had a 535i and it was automatic, was it a ZF transmission? Wondering how common problems with that transmission are.

I just got a 06 320i and this thread spooked the shit out of me. It's done 109000km how fucked am I?

2010 w/ the sport package, no mods though I did think about doing the Dinan Stage 2 mod when I had a trouble free 8 month stretch from 2014 to mid 2015. When the problems started resurfacing, I decided against it and went on the hunt for a new car. Got my new car and sold the 3 yesterday...an absolute blast to drive, but with shit reliability.

I actually didn't have the HPFP problem, but I had issues with the LPFP (twice), turbos/wastegate, water pump, charge pipe, oxy sensors, cats (which was covered under BMW's extended warranty on the part), etc. Also had a bunch of little issues with stuff like the radio. Did a couple of interior fixes myself like the cupholder jamming and the air vents breaking (dealer wanted $400+ for the cupholder and $450 for the vents).

No, I double checked on E90 Post to make sure the prices were in the right ballpark. I'll admit that I'm not qualified to work on the mechanicals of this car, hence why I go to the dealership or an independent shop.

The warranty company actually sends an inspector to the dealership if you exceed $1500 for a single repair to make sure the dealership doesn't add on anything unnecessary. Luckily, the warranty company never declined any of the claims, so I never paid much out of pocket (except for some specific pipes and parts of my turbo).

>2010 N54
>turbos/wastegate, water pump, charge pipe, oxy sensors, cats
I guess everyone on E90Post claim those issues had been "fixed" by BMW in the later year N54s was full of shit. I think I'll steer clear of the N54 since I don't plan on going extreme with mods.

>turbos/wastegate
Yeah, I forgot about the N54 waste gate problem. Fortunately I never had it and most of the time it makes a little bit of noise vs being silent and is safe to ignore.

ZF 6HP26, yea. No problems at all.

god damn thats a shit load of repairs
well i fucked up shouldve gone with the 328i
thought the kinks wouldve been ironed out by at least the 2010 models
or so everyone claims from reddit/bmw to e90 forums

fucking this. If my turbos blow then I upgrade to a single turbo kit that's 3500.

If my wastewater rattle then I buy the 100 dollar kit to fix it and install it while I swapping my down pipes for cat less ones.

If my trans fails then i pluck it out and and bolt on a 700 dollar used unit from ebay while I get it performance rebuilt.

If you cannot into cars then avoid a used twin turbo bmw.

... Or you visit doctor vanos and fix it once and be done.

What is this wastegate kit you speak of?

Serious question, are the non-turbo cars safer to buy than he 335i? Is X-Drive worth a damn?

I just want a DD that wont bore me to death on my commute.

apparently so
i wished there were more 328i with the m sport package

On ebay look up "Wastegate rattle 335I" on ebay and a myriad of kits around 90-100 bucks pop up.

Honestly man, try not to think so hard about haha. I had many family members tell me that I shouldn't buy a BMW but I just wanted to experience the drive...and boy, was it great. Try to enjoy it as much as you can because it's a blast to drive and just so wonderfully balanced. To this day, it's still one of the best cars I've ever driven...the power delivery, transmission, and steering are top notch. Just try to think more about the good times than the impending bad times.

One more thing: I was very very particular about doing maintenance on time, so I probably saved myself some additional repair costs. Be sure you stay on top of oil changes and just pray your N54 isn't as problematic as mine was. Good luck!

N55 is a much more reliable engine, but the N54 is the more "mod-friendly" engine. When I bought the car, I had wanted to go the Dinan route, but that never happened. Definitely go the N55 route if you're not super into modding.

Your comment about E90 post though: I actually used that forum to prepare myself to get raped by fixes and repairs. A lot of the threads I read listed the issues I experienced as "common problems" for the N54 motor. Good resources on there that'll help you to figure how much money to set aside for repairs.

i have the n55 335i e90
they share the same hpfp and water pump
i had a 328i e90 before and decided to move up to the 335i
never had an issue with the 328i