clyp.it/wvx54tjp
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12
desertgame.tumblr.com/
ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=109807
youtube.com/watch?v=ogjrWqHuoMM
hastebin.com/igegulebuc.cpp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clyp.it/wvx54tjp

I'm having way too much with this melody.

Good morning, agdg. 4 more days until Demo Day 12.
Are you ready?

Good luck with your games anons!

>Is there a reason you decided to do away with the pure black and white style and go for a tinted look? I liked how the B&W stuff reminded me of old Mac classic era games.
>Either way nice to see you making progress.
Both the color palettes and the shitty CRT filter are optional and turned off by default

Being so inept at anything concerning sound infuriates and depresses me to the point of wanting to drop it all.

I'm an occasional lurker in these threads and keep seeing screenshots from your kickass project but don't know the name of it. Got a twitter or something I can follow so I can know when I can play it ASAP?

new demo will be availabe here:
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

and my devblog
desertgame.tumblr.com/

The internet went off when I made that post with the cave, but now it's back. Also here's some progress with the energy crystal doritos.

Not really a problem since I could just swap the characters if I ever want to use it as a game of my own.

Exactly. It has much room for improvement and I think it would be interesting to have a actual remake of it as a 3d game. Also because the music and remixes of it are really good.

You mean the animations? I'll try to fix it a bit later. The gameplay is going to be a bit different since aiming at targets is a little more trickier to do in 3d than in 2d. Also, here's a close up of Quote. I know it's not good, but I'll fix him eventually.

///////////!!!!!!!\\\\\\\\\\\

If you did ludum dare, post you're game

\\\\\\\\\\iiiiiiiii///////////

tfw accidentally post wrong webm.

ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=109807

Posted it in the previous thread right after this one was created.

Got shitty scores but I'm not surprised, I could have done a lot better

Hey Bonelord Dev! Fix your game!

Don't worry, sound is a difficult thing. It's often overlooked, devs always focus on just the coding and the art aspects, but the sound and music of a game is just as big as those other aspects.

I use freesound.org and bfxr to get some placeholder sounds. I have never been able to make good music though, so I try to find some free music online that I can use and just credit them.

>1022
>not a full M(ega)B(one)

you are probably fine as long as you give proper attribution and arent selling it

if you used no original assets you could probably even sell it in small quantities at events like komike

Here's some progress. I have been slow at writing dialogue.

I wont be ready

I don't even participate, you'll get a demo when I damn well feel like it.

now the game has some context. i'll start working on the levels today, not sure how many i'll be able to finish for demo day.

It reminds me a lot about Papers Please, but i like it.

Has a pretty solid late evening feel to it. I like it.

How much work the idea guys did? And no artistic licens , give me the actual reality

The griffin looks more like an enemy than a main character
I thought you would play as that guy fighting griffins in a victorian style city
Why do you disappoint me

What game genres would you be able to get away with using only cubes/boxes for your art without any animations?

puzzle games.

Unless you have mad talent you can apply to a niche to complement the cubes, none.
Start studying

Not thinking in selling it, but making the particle assets myself is a pretty good ideia. I'll be working on it and see if it looks better.

jesus christ just learn 3d rendering already instead of going full retard with the 2d pixel shit

>mad enough to post in both threads
What has 2D done to you?

if 2d is so great why don't I have a game?

2d is fucking shit you have to draw everything by hand (unless you use rendered sprites which is ridiculous too) and it looks like shit and the medium is limited since you can pretty much only do side scroller or birds eye view (both of which you can do with 3d graphics anyway)

if 3d is so great why don't I have a game?

because you suck

So does Game Maker have any plans whatsoever to add 2D vectors as a data structure, or is it still living in 1990?

Have fun making 3D faces that don't look like utter shite.

all the shit tier "game engines" are jewing you big league, if you have any idea what you're doing you can make something better than what game maker is doing

>if you have any idea what you're doing
Guess what. That's exactly the reason people use engines aimed at amateurs. Because they are amateurs. They just like want to make gaem, not build an engine that does the same as those already available but worse.

Yet another reason Godot is better than GM.

even AAA games use helmets/masks or cartoony faces a lot, and you can use various techniques like scanning actual faces and doing mocap animations, if you get decent skin and eyes etc (doesn't even have to be realistic) you should be fine

>all the shit tier "game engines" are jewing you big league

So which are the "game engines" that are not shit tier?

the "top-tier" publicly available engines like UE4, cryengine, and to some extent unity can have their uses, like if you just want some generic shooter game or something, that's what those engines are made for, but things like game maker and rpg maker are super amateur and not for serious game dev studios

In OpenGL.

Let's suppose I have an Array Texture with 128 layers, and I want to make it bigger. What's the best way?

Do I need to create a new Array Texture of 257 layers (for example), copy all the layers from the old Array Texture to the new one, and delete the old one?

Seems potentially slow. Is there anything better?

GM doesn't have vectors? this is a troll post right?

>3d is easy guise
Not falling for that one

I think x and y are separate and part of the object last I checked. But this was also back when it first came out and dethroned The Games Factory, if you even remember that.

it is though, 2d games are actually harder these days because most people are doing it in a 3d engine

Nope. GM doesn't have vectors.

and people unironically use this """""""""""""""""""""engine"""""""""""""""""""""""" to make games?

>because most people are doing it in a 3d engine

>2d games are actually harder these days because most people are doing it in a 3d engine

Undertale is a game

To be fair, organizing the data in a vector doesn't matter much. There's not much difference between object having x and y and object having a vector that has x and y, especially for simple games that GM is good at. IIRC they still have stuff like lerp and stuff, so it doesn't hurt at all. At that point it's just preference, like preferring sameline bracket to newline bracket. Touting your preference as absolute is a sign of OCD btw.

gpus are first and foremost made for 3d graphics, 2d pixel shit made sense decades ago when they didn't even have gpus and 3d software rendering was slow and complicated

I actually had to make a small platformer prototype first to show them how shitty their ideas were. So their contribution to the game was -half a day of work.
I wrote a long rant about it here the day after.

I'm just curious, are you guys serious or do you not know the lower working of the engine you use?

This is true. But sadly has nothing to do with 2d games allegedly being made with 3d engines.

>engine you use

I've written my own engine a few times.

Just because your engine uses the GPU to render, does not make it a 3d engine.

Oh I'm not him, nor was I implying that, but many (most?) of the popular engines nowadays, particually if they have support for both 2D and 3D, tend to have 2D modes that involve actually doing things in 3D and masking it in 2D. Examples of this that I've extensively used are unity and xna/monogame. If the engine is pure 2D though then it likely does not do that though.

I might have believed you if I didn't know anything 3D requires knowledge of a bunch of different and complex techniques. Just look at the polycount wiki for fucks sake

I'm getting a bit of a sega wibe from this which is what I need for my game. I've been having some trouble arranging my music. I think its a timing thing. I've also been having issues with doing effects and picking the right drum sounds. I'm using deflemask to make sega megadrive / genesis music. I mostly pick samples and instruments from games I like. So far I've mostly been doing simple covers but its a lot of work for me. Also feel like I should make more progress with it before demoday 12 but progress is really slow.

I have some good inspirations for the music I'd like to put in the game in case someone's willing to help me with the music; youtube.com/watch?v=ogjrWqHuoMM

the difference is that something like ambient occlusion you implement it once (probably by copying some other person's technique) and there you go, while with autistic pixel shit like you're placing each and every pixel by hand, it's far more tedious

dumb frogposter

Post progress

That a characteristic of the art style, not of 2D art itself. If you were to use pixelated textures in your 2D models you would also have to manually place your pixels

then you hire a bunch of lighting guys to set up lights for 10000 hours

fishing lvls?

I dunno what that means, just testing text animation

reminder to not give up

Nice! How did you achieve that?

oh I get it now

implement IMeshModifier and transform the mesh returned by unity's text generator

it's not finished but here's the code, hope you can get something out of it

hastebin.com/igegulebuc.cpp

Oh shit, it's you. Is there anything you can't do? You're great!

Cool now add the fadeout

How much money you make on cat fish island?
What did you do for advertising?

with physically based rendering you avoid manually placing fill lights, you place lights at the actual light sources like the sun and lamps, and there are ways to do indirect lighting programmatically with baked lighting/lightmaps and also other real time techniques

I want justice]

nice

>cat fish island
you mean catmouth island?

that's quakeulf, I don't think he's posted in a while. he's a cool guy though

trying to get images in first, so I can explain controls to the player while using actual pictures of them

thanks user

>that lewd ass movement

There better be panty shots.

Nice hips.

>using twerk momentum to lift heavy objects

More dialogue. Gonna make the mob say random things as well.

2 sick my dude. luv u

to be fair, not having vectors in an engine is a PITA. can you add functions or objects in gamemaker?

can be a source of bugs having to type the maths twice
obj.x += obj.velx
obj.y += obj.vely
vs obj.pos += obj.vel

That's such a non-problem I can't even imagine why you'd bring it up. Any competent scripter wouldn't have issues with that.

don't underestimate typos my good man. I'm pretty sure there's even a john carmack quote about it

I've had bugs like that in the past
shit happens

it is a problem, you've never run into a bug caused by that? has nothing to do with skill level and more to do with attention span of the average person.
the example i posted was simple, but doing something more compex it can get hairy very quickly

finished the first boss

it's not much but there's 4 days left so it can't be helped

It's still annoying as fuck to do when you do it often and if your game is non trivial, basic vector operations are really useful.
It's why I hate languages like Java where you can't do that and have to use functions and ugly chaining.
a.add(b).add(c) etc

What if you don't know how many items you will have? Say, your vector represents a list of items in your inventory? That said, I am pretty sure GM has vectors, even 2D ones.

Well, I'm thinking about making the griffin an NPC now, because it doesn't look good from behind.
This is meant to be a Spyro-like game, though, so I'll probably not have human characters in it.

I know, but those bugs aren't typically too hard to stamp out, especially if you know how to actually debug. It's a rarity if you have a serious problem. "Gotta wear my suit of armor, you never know when a car might hit me!" or something along those lines. It can happen, yeah, but if you know what you're doing it's not much of a problem.

Jesus christ all these replies I'm going to the damn store.

WRONG VECTORS

Bwaka