Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I've got an old cargo van that I daily and we just got ass blasted with snow over here. My tires are pretty bald all seasons.

How do I make her better in the snow?

I can't afford better tires right now, so is just filling the back with sandbags my only option?

Drop the pressure as low as safely possible and add lots of weight in the back.

Recommended is 36 front and 40 rear, how low pressure is still "safe"?

My dad used to swear by liquid chains by AC Delco. They banned that stuff years ago, but I know theirs other companies making a similar product.

>I can't afford better tires right now

Why not? How poor are you that you don't have a spare $200?

Go 30 F 34 R and see what you think. Get a digital pressure gauge. So much better. Expect worse gas mileage but a noticeable difference in handling. Also only brake in a straight line, coast corners low speed

Tires for a cargo van don't cost $200 you dumbass. This isn't a 93 Celica...

>40 rear

Nigga, I own a cargo van and can tell you for a god damn fact that the rear is supposed to be 70. Those things are built for 5000~ lb loads in the cargo bay.

Anyways, add weight to the back and drive slow as shit. You'll do better than you think since the tire profile is so narrow. Lower PSI can help but it's not a big deal since it'll lower anyway from the cold. Leave front alone, rear can go down to 55-60 or so

What size tires are they?

ok, How poor are you that you don't have a spare 400 bucks? If you don't have money to keep your car in optimal condition you don't have enough money to own a car.

Easiest thing to do is drive it into a tree and collect the insurance money and buy some tires.

Depends on the rating (P vs LT?) and how much weight he plans on carrying. A pair of sandbags probably is fine to have 40-50 psi in there. If he's maxing his GVWR he should also be maxing his tires (assuming they're rated). I have LT tires and if they're inflated to 80 the whole thing rides like a tank.

Don't drive like an asshole and you'll probably be okay. That being said, you should replace the front two tires if possible.

>that van
>old
Anyway, just follow the advice other anons hAve already posted and you'll be alright.

Fuck you on about? I run my tires at 38/42 and haul 3000-5500lb loads in the bed of my 3/4 ton all the time, tires give zero shits and don't bulge abnormaly.

It also literally depends on the tire.
>omg op you need 70psi to haul a few hundred pounds of sand

Interesting, what does it do?

I wouldn't be able to get a set of used chinese tires for that little, especially around here

Alright I'll try those pressures, and yeah I've been driving in snow for a while so I know the deal, I'm mostly having trouble getting moving in the van at all.

This, a new set of anything that isn't shit would be at least $600 for me

Says it right on the door plate and on the tire and in the owners manual. &0 for you might be a towing pressure, I'd look again. Also There's a lot of variance in vans so is it so inconceivable that our recommended pressures might be different?

lt245/75r16

Yeah try again, a set of tires is gonna cost a lot more than that for this truck. And that's a pretty shitty attitude, but whether I can afford to keep my car in showroom condition or not is irrelevant, it's a beater and NEED it to commute 40 minutes to my job every day.

Just have liability friendo, it won't go down like that

I have LT tires and the back is basically empty now, how much weight in sand should I be putting exactly? My payload capacity is about 4700

You would recommend the fronts over the rears in in a rwd van? I'm having no trouble at all turning and braking, it's all just getting stuck trying to move forward.

Pic isn't my van, sorry

>Being a NEET
>too autistic to go to a church and ask them to buy you a front pair of tires
Just buy 2 then. That's be $250 on tirerack. Prolly $20 to fit.

Why on earth would a church buy me tires? And why would I replace just the front, like I said I have 0 problems turning or braking, it's just getting going. it's rwd wouldn't I just put 2 on the back?

>Why on earth would a church buy me tires?
Charity for the poor. You know, the thing that churches traditionally do.

I'm sure they give food to the homeless, not tires to wagecucks.

Check craigslist for used tires. Also try calling the local tire shops and see if they have any good used tires. Could always check your spare tire to see if it is any good and get a matching tire and use them on the back.

I have but there is one set of of tires my size being sold in my area, and it's some "broker" trying to add profit off some tires he bought new. I could get them cheaper if I bought then new myself

>I have no idea what they do but i'll tell you you're wrong anyway
this is why you're a poor piece of shit desu senpai

Burden of proof blah blah etc.