What features would Veeky Forums like to see on a head unit...

What features would Veeky Forums like to see on a head unit? I'm sick of flashy gaudy ones like pic related and all the non need for speed ones are quite expensive. I'm working on a head unit design that isn't retarded in price point and in looks and it'd be nice to see what you guys would like to see on the market.

Other urls found in this thread:

sonicelectronix.com/cat_i2400_bluetooth-car-amplifiers.html
pastebin.com/Brb8G9r2
youtu.be/FNR7PrSFrX4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A cassette deck and a good AM tuner.

>no chrome
>physical buttons
>customisable colors
>dimmable
>DAB+
>USB
>3.5MM JACK
>BlueTooth

And the feature I've never seen on a 1-DIN;
>setting that makes all the lights & screen shut off when the radio hasn't been used for a few seconds

1. there's no way you could possibly bring a head unit to market and have any hope of success without huge capital
2. there's no reason to have a head unit anymore, hardly any new cars have single din slots and old cars you may as well just get rid of it and use a bluetooth amp

Honestly I just want tactile buttons, a real volume knob, a matte/dull finish, and all the typical bells and whistles of a good head unit. Also, RGB lighting that can be switched on and off, or only turns on with proximity. If I can't use it blind or I can't have 95% of my attention on the road while it's functioning, I don't want it.
So basically, make the head unit you showed except dull and dark.

>AM/FM
>3.5MM jack
>simple screen
>volume and tuner on separate knobs
>lights that turn on with headlights that can match the rest of the interior lighting
>good amplifier
>NOT SOMETHING OUT OF F&F

Get a "heavy duty" head unit for big fleet trucks if you can live without pre-outs. They're simple and durable. You can get them for under $300.

I love it

everything on this list is correct
>>setting that makes all the lights & screen shut off when the radio hasn't been used for a few seconds
this is double correct.

This head unit is literally the worst one I've ever had. I seriously don't know why the PO installed this piece of shit.

>interface is confusing as fuck
>No Bluetooth/Aux connectivity
>doesn't pick up radio stations when it's cold out
>no equalizer
>can't change to a specific radio station

And I thought that maybe it was just old as fuck, but no. Apparently this POS was made in 2011.

A tuner and a transport, that's it.

SACD
Optical output
FLAC and DSD support
No internal amplifier
Not even an internal preamp, which means not even RCA's.

That should actually be fairly inexpensive to pull off, but the sound quality would be second to none.

Headunits look the way they do because the largest market is normies, hoodrats, and mexicans who like having the flashiest interior possible while retaining the ability to look like a total retard, forcing those who want oem style to sift through the garbage.

CarID actually added a section recently for "classic-style" stereos. But these are SUPER classic, but it's a step in the right direction.

My advice for mass production is, if you want to make a load of money from the groups mentioned above, make a headunit that looks like it came from Tron: Legacy, then add chrome and cheap-looking cf plastic inserts, and then make it flash insanely fast and add meaningless visualizers on the display meant to distract any passengers who have autism.

This is why decent-looking headunits are always >$1000. The aforementioned groups literally have high-functioning autism and willingly replace good-looking stereos with cheap crap with the characters I listed.

My radio has that feature

I like my deh-80prs pioneer

Keinzel is king

Are JVC headunits any good?

VDO is good too.
It looks like you can get good looking headunits for pretty good prices.
Pic related is $140 on jegs

This with a bit more power and in a tidy looking box with quick connectors.
Maybe like a micro usb for power and spring tabs for audio out.

I'm going to make a pastebin with good looking "heavy duty" headunits sorted by which features they have.
I'll start with the ones posted ITT, any other suggestions?

Ahahaha I think I used to have that same radio

Was a piece of shit. We swapped it with a good radio my friend had in his truck before we sold it. Good riddance

This one is pretty basic and very 90's looking.

And the fancy version.

In our machines Bosch and Blaupunkt supply the majority of OEM options. Axis supplies for a lot of Caterpillar gear too.
VDO is another supplier that makes a damn quality head unit too.

BD Audio support

a physical eq, make it look like an 80s piece.

Volume knob and aux-input, nothing else.

I like my deh6600bt but w.e it's alittle on the "new" side but still is not horrible horrible horrible looking.

>nice looking
>aux in
>bluetooth connectivity
>real knobs
>sat nav
>matching display color
>dimmable light
It really is perfect.

I would say design one headunit that can accept multiple faceplates, allowing customisability.
Kids these days love that shit, they'll probably buy more than one faceplate.

Share plees

>no fun allowed - the head unit

It's a fucking headunit, what else besides music does your broken heart desire?

a 90's head unit with a 3.5mm jack. that's it. volume, bass, treble, fader, scan, memory etc etc.

I like it.

>What features would Veeky Forums like to see on a head unit?
something functional. Aux and Bluetooth, maybe a usb for charging. Should have Apple's car play and the android alternative.

Then figure out what buttons are pushed most often. I'm guessing that would be a phone call button. A mode button. Search / fast forward up and down. 4 presents. All buttons and the knob should be easy to find and distinguish without looking at the stereo after more than one use. They should be soft to touch. Screen should be easy to read from a glance.

Honestly though I think VDO and Kienzel already have this pretty well sorted out.

>aux input
>audio knob
>radio channel selector
>usb for charging/input
>match car interior

Fucking this.

Needs twisty knobs for radio station selection. I hate those fucking buttons

Oh you're so right, there isn't anything like pic related at all.

Alternatively, you could stop looking at head units from 2007.

Do you honestly think you're getting quality parts if your budget for a head unit is $100? $100 head units have *never* been good.

How will you ask siri to call your boyfriend and have your head unit automatically turn on the mic with that setup?

Why dont you guys just look into bluetooth amplifiers?

No deck, just control it through your phone.

sonicelectronix.com/cat_i2400_bluetooth-car-amplifiers.html

My Old pioneer has this best head unit

HEY GUYS IM DRAWING PICTURES OF HEAD UNITS

IM GONNA MAKE IT REALLY I AM

HELP

>Ability to change colors of back glow
>Radio tuner is an actual fucking knob not a tap button
>USB that actually works

I haven't had a chance to work on it. I'll post the link when I fill it out.

Why are the only good looking headunits the ones without CD player? Makes me want to convert everything I have to cassettes if I had the knowhow and quality equipment.

Needs AUX cord, Bluetooth, USB input for charging cable. Simple fascia with knob for volume, knob for tone adjustment, knob for channel changing. I would buy a packed-with-features but unobtrusive head unit in a heartbeat. Please no shiny plastic, glowing buttons or complicated stuff. What you could save in not making it a faggy glowing eyesore you could put towards features and bang for the dollar

When I was making it I realized that they all have different feature sets. It's a WIP but here's what I'm thinking right now. I probably will rearrange it in a better way.

Fuck forgot link
pastebin.com/Brb8G9r2

How do you like the R32?

Does anyone have a decent double-din recommendation for my interior?

One with Nav capabilities would be nice

love it

i love stock head units on e39 bmw.just get an AUX installed (not very expensive and thats it).

stock 16:9 monitor doesnt look bad either

So this but with a black volume knob?

No. That things looks ricey as fuck. Does it do dolphin animations and shit?

No, it's just that basic old screen with those 8-shaped thingamagics with a little more resolution but it has 4RCA out, BT, USB and AUX, dimmable lights, settable RGB color, CD player and remote control functionality as well as handsfree. Aside from the chrome volume wheel, it's all black with backlights.

No dimmer in this pic

my mom used to have a head unit that had dolphins swim across the bottom while music played she really wants another but i cant find it anywhere, she thinks it was a pioneer any chance any of you know of something similar at this point im thinking it was a custom firmware since she bought it secondhand

Aye
I have the same one, but with DAB

Yours cant be fully "turned off", can it? Mine can be pretty dimmed down, but not fully turned off

I swear to god m8

Literally from the link that image comes from

youtu.be/FNR7PrSFrX4

Pioneer DEH-P8250

Not fully off, but it goes pretty low on dimmer. I guess people at Pioneer didn't think that was necessary.