Any Subaru owners here?

Any Subaru owners here?

Post em if ya got em

>not mine

Bought a 2004 WRX

how bad of a decision was this? and how bad of a money pit are they?

The major service with timing belt changes and shit is due the next service. around 6 months from now

how often should I be changing the oil on this or should I wait for that service to do it?

I also took my first manual lesson today which I posted about in another thread. still haven't driven my car myself yet. kind of getitng scared to.

was this car a bad idea for my first manual?

I just bought a 2000 forester gt the other day its had some work done to it, this is my first non-shitbox car so its such a step up

>how bad of a decision was this and how bad of a money pit are they?
Like all cars, they can be pretty bad if neglected or improperly maintained. Add on the fact that the engine layout makes for little space to wrench with the engine in and you've got yourself high labor hours. However, they're pretty reliable if you stay on top of your regular maintenance like fluids, gaskets, etc. I bought mine with 120k, and the previous owner had a service history book that would shame most encyclopedias. I'm at 150k now and it hasn't given me any issues except for a coil pack going to shit. Other than that, they're fun little cars that are unbeatable in shitty road conditions provided you've got the appropriate tires.

>how often should I change the oil?
Use 10w30 or 10w40, change every 4-5k miles.

>was this car a bad idea for my first manual?
Yes. Clutch takeup is in the top 1/4 of the pedal travel and the engine is very twitchy in first gear. Plus AWD is easier to stall bc more moving parts, friction, etc. Have some patience as you learn and you'll be fine though.

A note on the oil, use full synthetic. The pcv valve is also poorly designed so invest in an oil catch can or plan out burning about a quart every 1500-2000 miles.

Get your major service done or you're going to regret it. If that belt breaks, it's time for a new engine.

How's an Impreza for babby's first manual? I'm looking to upgrade in a year or two, and it seems like it'd be a good choice, since it looks like it can take my province's shitty driving conditions pretty well.

Normie Imprezas are a lot more forgiving than a WRX (barring the 2015+ models) to learn manual on. Subaru's in general tend to handle shitty road conditions well.

Should I be getting my cars major service (timing belts changed and stuff) done every 4 years as the service book recommends regardless of whether I have reached the miles for it?

my car is 12 years old and only has done 56k miles. major service was recommended for 4years/60k miles

Last service was done in November which was just a regular one.

when should I book in for the major one to be done? should I request anything else to be done along with it and how much should I be looking up to save?

I will be getting it done at the closest Subaru dealership service centre for oem-ness

My '99 GT grannywagon

>should I be getting major service done every four years?
Not necessarily, I usually go by mileage and inspect the belts and shit myself.

>should I request anything else done?
I would look into getting fresh hoses, as being a 13 year old car, they may be starting to get crusty. It's not a major deal, it's really just preventative maintenance. Have about 1500 USD saved up as a safety net, and you'll be golden.

I'd also recommend getting a catless uppipe because if that precat goes and disintegrates, it'll take your turbo and engine with it. You can probably find a used STI uppipe cheap and those are catless.

Ayyyyy asuhh du!

>never driven a manual
>starts with +200 BHP car

enjoy your burned clutch and molten gearbox

yeah, I've got a 2017 wrx, don't really like it honestly

mine

Hello, since everyone on this board seems to hate cobb. Was wondering how you people tune your subies without an accessport? Even having a tuner around me do a custom map they still use accessport and Cobbs software to make the map.

>Do you do it yourself?
>If you do it yourself what software do you use?
>Have a guy make you a custom ecu?

Genuinely curious.

You should have got the STi desu

vapefags circlejerking about their overpriced shitboxes: the thread

Lol jealous

What are you complaints? I'm interested.
>didn't like rev hang
>throttle response felt weird
Both of these were fixed with a cobb shelf map. Since then I have had no complaints with mine
I love my 15 would have bought the Sti if they ever do and engine refresh. Who knows if or when that will happen though.

naw, i realized I don't like awd and turbos desu, I wouldn't want to spend more money for more of the same

I learned to drive stick on an 02 WRX with it's awful bucket of rocks transmission and it's still in one piece. I did have the clutch replaced but that was for unrelated reasons.

That webm. Fair enough reason what you trade it for?

the exact same thing, but called something else.

all youre doing is changing bit registry values. just like any computer.
the hard part is figuring out what does what, what its called, and how to change it.

cobb probably just has the best software

Also,
>Hello, since everyone on this board seems to hate cobb
people on this board are idiots.

but, they probably mean they hate off the shelf tunes

hating the accessport itself would be idiotic since it's just an api

>non-shitbox
>forester
pick one

Picked up this 06 wagon as a winter beater.

I'm getting a bike in a week or two, so probably will get a cheap truck or something

but if I wasn't, car wise I'd rather have a c5 zo6

another complaint though
>with the way I like the seat set at the mirror blocks a huge portion of my view
>the steering is worse than my 2003 corolla's was
>the steering wheel isn't comfortable
>the speakers are worse than said corolla
>the "infotainment system sucks

I really like the cloth seats though, so theres that

Ayyyy my 99 wagon too.

Should have got a BRZ then

Yes. Bike are much more fun than cars.

Agreed the speakers are garbage. Subaru has shit infotainment systems in all their cars. Might be coming from driving a pile of shit car but the steering is ok for me.

Be safe on the bike user.

>Be safe on the bike user.
yeah, the last time I was on one I got hit lol

Well at least your not a Nancy and getting another. The guy I bought mine from said some kid in a full body cast showed up to buy his r6 and he ended up driving it home for the kid cause you know full body cast.

You're*

On phone at work and lazy

it happened a while ago and I was fine after, but the bike ended up being totaled and my insurance was a shit since it was a hit and run

Typical view of my garage. Though somehow the racecar breaks down less than the dd. I guess having the same wheel bearings but adding a turbo does that. Good thing spares are practically the same between the two!

His pic and post implied a base Impreza, around 140-175bhp. They're pretty easy to learn manual in actually. Except AWD doesn't forgive if you give too much throttle. Wheels won't spin, transmission shock is rough.