/ORG/

Welcome to /Off Road General/

>aka off road themed nice posting
Greetings, friends! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend in the woods somewhere instead of shitposting here.

Previously on /ORG/>a cool guy was talking about planning a trip
>another guy cried will wheel spinning his 2wd shitbox up a mountain
>one guy wants to see swiftposters anus
>stickers were finally put up for sale!
>the regulars talked about regular stuff
>a 40 series appeared!
>a bit of sfa vs ifs shitposting but luckily it was kept to a minimum

Other urls found in this thread:

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5927475362.html
1985zcar.tumblr.com/tagged/me
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

?

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5927475362.html

I tried, really I did... But I'm back on my shit.

SFAs reign superior.

ive seen that cruiser on mud.
undercarriage is incredibly rusty, no holes or anything but its over the line for me.

well that is undebatable but that doesnt stop people from shitposting about it

just wanted to share this with you lads.

Love this dudes pics/fj

1985zcar.tumblr.com/tagged/me

Posting here as well in case anyone missed it
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

bout to take this thing offroad

Why all the IFS hate? I dun get it

Pls no get too deep into these points because as OP stated:
>a bit of sfa vs ifs shitposting but luckily it was kept to a minimum
>pls keep to a minimum
pls no bully

Rock climbing, mainly. Flexing and also just clearing areas that some IFS doesn't allow for because you can't flex over rocks or through ditches.

Not unless you're doing a sand jumper or smooth trail runner.

>SFA
Better for Crawling as you get more flex, more durable construction, and there's never a spot on the truck lower than the axles.

Downside is that to gain more travel, the truck must be higher off the ground, making it more top-heavy and unstable.

>IFS
Better for Prerunning because the two front wheels can independently drive over uneven sand terrain without sending the truck into a barrel roll. Long Travel suspension has the advantage of having loads of travel without making the truck much taller

Downside is that these trucks can easily bottom out if one or both front arms are at full compression, so they're no good for more aggressive crawling.

Bear in mind that both setups can do both Prerunning and Crawling, and it's only once you get into the more extreme circumstances that one overtakes the other in its respective terrain.

Discussion's over.

yeah but the best thing about solid axles is the travel, just not UP travel, solid axles can have 3 times as much down travel then up, making the vehicle sit lower, be more stable and able to droop into obstacles, and over all be more safe.

>a cool guy was talking about planning a trip
Weed in a 15ml vial should keep it smellproof and keep in the moisture. I can also make a makeshift pipe with tin foil and a metal fork so you don't need to bring "paraphernalia". I personally don't like weed either but at least you can "drive" on low doses of weed instead of alcohol. Also as you mentioned - space saving is a bonus.

Also, if your phone dies, you can just charge it. I also can't just go outside and hatchet the cables so we go "oops our phone died". It's not like it was before where if you're lost, you're truly lost.
Now, you're just "one GPS dot away from the highway" lost. Which is boring here since dirt paths travel all across mid-Ontario...

If you want to come up to Canada before April, the s n o w r o l l e r s will be fired up until then! Might be far trek for nothing to do... but c'est la vie en leafville.

What are those weird hooks on your bullbar for, OP? the three which one is attached to your winch hook.
Extra mounts for random items? They're way too high and thinny shopped for tow hooks.

Some moron opened their door into mine a few days ago and now my driver's door has a crease and pretty sizable dent. I'm super bummed out. The body didn't have a single dent until then.

just say a rock did it

>tfw you find out your favorite place to shoot and off road is now owned by a logging company and you can't go there anymore

Satanic Ranger?

Satanic Taco actually

>tfw wanting to build a bare bones frame buggy on tall skinny v treads
>Don't have the time money for a third project

gief her da tacc

Bumper cost and manufacturer?

How are the BFs on the taco? I'd imagine It'd make the ride a bit more comfortable, too.

Did somebody say Taco?

How much clutch ease do you all give on rough terrain? I run 2wd along a terrain but there's a swampland eating into the path near my friend's farm that's eating more and more into the trail. So I have to do 4wd a few times when I get stuck on a really muddy day and I'm finding myself trying gearing much lower by only easing the clutch out instead of having it fully engaged but I'm doing this for a full 10 minutes before I can fully release the clutch again.

How do I prevent clutch burn this way or is it inevitable? That mudding engine steam after I leave the swamp is really spooking me, too.

Should I just dismount and buy an ATV at this point? I don't think this is good for my clutch.

Buy an automagic.

Skip 4hi and go to 4low from the start the gear reduction alows you get going without having to slip the clutch as much.

This. No shame in using auto off-road

Also some foresight goes a long way. If you think you'll need 4wd to get through something go ahead and put it in 4wd before you head in and with a manual trans you have to pick the gear you want before you start in as shifting mid way through will cause a los of momentum and you'll end up stuck. In 4low you can get away with starting in 2nd if you want to hit it a little harder

Personally the only time I use 4hi is if I'm traveling a long stretch of sand as I can keep up a higher forward speed, for everything else there's no reason to not use 4low from the start

X2

It's better to overkill before you need 4lo than to realize too late that 4hi isn't enough

There are a bunch of weird "trails" in Ontario that goes: Gravel >mud >rock >mud >granite >beaver dam >gravel >road.
Also in the sand dunes and beaches in central south Ontario, it goes (itgoesitgoesitgoes): sand>mud>sand>road

4H is what I am normally on if there's a lack of mud.

F R E E S P I N N I N G one wheel and
S L O W R O L L I N G

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought that we were supposed to start out in 2wd until you get stuck.

Also stupid question but since I'm h-here: Can you change to 4wd-H or 4wd-L in motion or does the stick break? I've always been too afraid of touching the stick while the car is moving forwards.

What about gravel or dirt roads on 4wd-L?

I would but I don't do a lot of mud or offroading and being Manuel is way too fun.

Generally you can switch between 2wd and 4hi while in motion but 4low you need to stop, put trans in neutral then switch into or out of 4low

Protip most 4wd vehicles have instructions on the back of the drivers side sun visor

There are alot of trails here that go
>road>dirt>road>dirt>road>dirt>road>dirt>road>dirt>angery nigger telling you to get off his land>road>dirt>road>dirt

2wd is fine for dirt roads and such, if you're having trouble staying moving at the pace you want go ahead and use 4hi unless you want to creep then go 4low

What does /ORG/ think of the new taco? I'm getting a new job and I'm planning on buying new with the 6 speed since I can't find any used with the manual. I have a friend with the auto off road and his only complaint is fuel economy. I've also heard some of the electronics are finicky. Also what's a good price right now? I see the off road is at dealers for 37k (in AZ).

Edit: looked at truecar and found one used 2016 but the rest just show all the new dealer cars

it's a relentless fab bumper, I got the weld-it-yourself kit for 600 shipped I think. me and a buddy welded it. Pretty happy with the tires only had them a little over a month now but there was a noticable power loss because they're basically 33x10.5

Too many electronic gizmos attached to the 4x4 system

Do they really cause problems or is that just a personal niggle?

>noticable power loss from 33s
Dem highway gears

Personal opinion, but the more systems there are the higher probability of failure. Doesn't seem worth it just for something like crawl control or the like

As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't be any electronics involved in the 4wd

Glorious

Hey user.
Do you like electronic E-Brakes? That's why they're called "E-Brakes" tho, right? For "electronic"?

what county you in Washington user? that stump with sticks on top looks familiar

Crawl Control is magic but you can't permanently turn Traction Control off unless you pull the right fuses

Crawl control is magic if you're a complete fucking noob and have no idea what you're doing. To anyone that has a general sense of how not to lose traction or at least how to regain traction, it's really not useful. It's like auto throttle, brake, and steer in Forza. If you really need those handicaps, then you don't use them often enough to justify paying more for them.

You're talking about buying an off road edition and planning on 4x4, why would you want the manual with that? The automatic is objectively better.

You want the vehicle to control throttle and brake but you want to shift? I'd rather control the throttle and brake myself and let the computer shift.

>electronic e brake
That sounds like a terrible idea.

Snow snow and more snow. Truck is now saltier than McDonalds Fries. Good thing my truck is coated in oil from my cooler line leak...
Which reminds me I really should fix that...

Since the holiday is over do I take the antlers down, or do I keep running the Rudolf Diesel meme? Thoughts?

Know the feels user. Most everything where I am is locked down tight. There was an abandoned railroad right of way I would always wheel on but the Sierra club monsters turned it into fucking bike paths

Ordering tonight

My friend owns one. It's a good truck, but not my cup of tea. Too many electronic gizmos.

Good god that is more 80s than parachute pants and aquanet. I love it!

>dat LTD

Yeah shitty deal, there's a huge abandoned gold mine out here that I've spent a lot of time exploring and rippin' around at over the last 2 years, it was a very popular spot for off-roaders for a very long time. Some fairly new mining company has set up shop there for the foreseeable future, the entire mountain road is locked down now, was really looking forward to bring Big Red there for the first time this summer.

I was at Sycamore Creek in AZ today and we had a TRD Taco in our group. It preformed great, but his wife said she got a headache because of how stiff the suspension was. I was in a 15 year old F150 with my wife and dog were fine. I would look into the stiff suspension and would highly recommend Sycamore Creek.

Anybody drive a Suzuki Samurai?
Seems like a fun thing to drive.

It's like a Wrangler but without the decent drivetrain and suspension.

this guy:

>wife
i hope youre talking about a body pillow of taylor swift friendo

Hush user. Don't objectify my waifu.

>tfw
>ranger in shoppe until Friday
>might not get winch bumper back for another 1-2 months again
>still have to put up with my fucking Nissan R52 in the meantime
Relying on a very limited arsenal of images from my Ranger to get me through the recourse.

>tfw cancelled oberlanding night this week we've been planning for a month

mirin' that 4runner

I am an /org/ noob. I just want a 4x4 to go hiking with friends and take my mountain bike up to trails. I have no idea how to do serious four bying though it does sound fun and something I'd like to try. The reason for the manual is because this will also be my dd and I want to drive a stick so bad after having my shitbox auto elantra from college for so long. Would I be better off with the sport or the sr5 instead?

If you're spending that much money anyway there's no reason not to get the 4x4. Even if it's purely for the higher resale value

>waifu
>3d
pick one

>Don't objectify my waifu.
w e w

I kind of want to see an /ORG/ Meet-up.... just has to go better than that dashcon bullshit.

Proplem is everyone is too spread out

Couldn't really do it without most people having to drive half way across the country

I've been wanting a San Diego meetup since like November

seems like most everyone here is into it
were all really far apart tho

canada is definitely on my list at some point, same with alaska
would love to be able to take a few months off and just do all of it at once
not in the cards right now unfortunately.

Then we should have an east coast and west coast meetups. PA is a great place to have a meet up since we have Rausch creek off road park, with plenty of camping on site...

West Coast meetup in Vegas & then we wheel Death Valley!

n-no. not allowed bc id be t-too jelly

I think a Joshua Tree meet would be a fun meet if we're in that area

With a $4500. Budget what should i look at if i want to dd and do offroad things as well?

Midwest meetup when?

Silver lake sand dunes and Upper Peninsula Oberlanding

BTW I may or may not have committed to our Stickers

PLEASE

CONVOY! Join up as we go. Deuce-gal here. If I could drive my Deuce from the Missouri farm to Florida, we can totally do a convoy. I'm in.... but only if tay agrees to join.

if you plan on passing through the southeast at any point im in.
/ORG/ is about traveling anyway. its about getting out into the woods and avoiding pavement. ITS ABOUT FUCKING ADVENTURE

(sorry im kind of drunk)

What does /org/ think of the possibility of the new Bronco and Ranger?

Pls don't be like the international Ranger. We already have the exploder pick up and the Grand Cherokee for that mishap...................

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bronco come
back. At least then the Raptor won't be Ford's only off-roader

It's going to be the global Ranger and the Bronco will be a rebadged Everest.

Thank Obama and globalism.

>deuce-gal

...trap?

Convoy!
TFW my truck is practically set up for convoy comms but have nobody to convoy with

Isn't there a Brazilian Bronco everyone got their hopes up for a few years back? I hope it is like that, and not a lackluster global crossover...

>"fj"
Lol

And what is wrong with the global Ranger?
Bronco will be built on a Ranger platform. Whether it's going to be the previously mentioned Everest rebadge (itself a damn nice SUV, and what the Exploder should've been) or a retro style rebody on said platform (ala FJ Cruiser on a global Prado platform) remains to be seen.

>Pls don't be like the international Ranger
it will be exactly that.

and like this user said, the raptor will be a rebadged everest.

>everest
>a damn nice SUV
its a fucking unibody crossover with ifs m8
dont get me wrong, it's more capable than the explorer (ever so slightly) but to call that thing anything to be excited about is a joke

Maybe, maybe not. What matters is the fact that I have mechanical advantage to tow you out of any hole.

>its a fucking unibody crossover
It isn't, you fucking idiot. It's a ladder frame pickup chassis regardless of front end suspension geometry.
That's like calling the current 3/4ton Silverado a crossover you retard.

And it's still an extremely capable chassis regardless.

be nice to him user pls dont forget where you are.

you are right though, it could be a direct competitor to current 4runners. if i were in the market i would be comparing them.

>tfw I have a radio set up but nobody else in my group has a radio so I can only sit and talk to myself

Is the international Ranger the same body and chassis as the Explorer pickup. I'm also sure that the Exploder pickup has filled the void of an "alternative pickup" left by the discontinuation of the 5th gen NA Ranger.

I still don't get why they discontinued the Ranger after the first year of rebound sales (2011 sold a lot more than 2010). Especially it being that iconic. I mean, the Dodge Viper had to dip down the 4 digit sales before they discontinued the "iconic" model. And it was in production for much less time than the Ranger.

On the Bronco, I heard some guy on Normiebook say something reasonably correct: "If the top comes off the Bronco, they wouldn't be able to make enough of them. If it's a one piece , then they'll just be gorging the crossover market with another body that won't be able to handle it." rephrased.

just buy a samurai you dumb faggot
you can get one in decent condintion for like 2k you retarded poorfag
they have huge aftermarket support so you can mod it from there kys i hate you

Use it to do speech > text and post on Veeky Forums remotely with it.
Also
>he's the type of guy who hangs out radio shack every saturday night
>no hambuddies
>why even live

I saw that. It was;
>if the top doesn't come off, they'll sell ten
>if the top comes off they won't be able to make enough

IMO the new bronco looks like a goddamn concept car. Not in a good way.

>kys
End your fucking life you worthless pile of newfag garbage. Go get your goddamn ipod stolen and become an hero you fucking inbred useless normalfag retard.

You mean the same Bronco concept that's been floating around for a decade? I doubt they're putting that old concept into production.

Lmao. I'm glad you saw the same thing.
I wonder if that guy knew the implications of "if the top doesn't come off / if they do" and how it would affect the body.

Goteeeeeem

>Is the international Ranger the same body and chassis as the Explorer pickup
No. It isn't you fucking imbecile. That generation of Explorer wasn't a unibody crossover anyway AS IT WAS BASED ON THE NORTH AMERICAN RANGER.
The international Ranger has always been its own platform.
Get a clue before you get an opinion and stop taking vague references of Facebook as gospel. There's a place for a new Bronco the same way there was for the FJ Cruiser.
>just buy some irrelevant example you dumb faggot
You really are lowest common denominator.

I want to be in your holes ;)

taytay butthole?

I thought the Explorer sport was its own weird design when the Explorer was on the Ranger platform. It made no sense to me why they were selling the exploder trucks at the same time as the Rangers if that were the case. Sorry :T

The only thing we were trying to state with the Bronco was that we hoped it was on the truck platform and doesn't come out as a unibody like some of the modern SUVs. FJ Cruiser is a good example of that.

Also
>tries to link to the last "tough love mean" niceposting on the last /org/
>gets called "lowest common denominator"
>tfw no one gets your esoteric shitpost bants

I'm actually curious too why did they discontinue the ranger when the taco is doing so well

CAFE/Safety standards that Ford and many other truck makers didn't want to deal with.

late 90's killed the small truck.

I may or may not just tune mine into police frequencies to listen in since I have nothing better to do. Rumor has it theyre gonna switch to the 800mhz band so I would need another radio to listen again. It would also mean a new antenna up on the antenna farm atop the truck.

All the more reason to join the convoy!

Do you have a recovery Deuce and a half?
>Dat crane and 40,000lb winch for recoveries

Supposedly the new Bronco is confirmed to be Body on frame...

If it means anything the head hauncho on the Bronco development team has a 1979 Bronco and "Loves it just the way it is"

God I hope Ferd doesn't fuck this up like they most likely will...

I don't know about you guys but I'm sick of tired of being ignored by the automakers. And if the bloated prices of the used market are an indicator of me not being alone in my feelings something has gotta give eventually...

Checking out the 4x4 section on Craigslist, not sure what to get. I don't want to get a cherokee or other Jeep, my brother has one, but I cannot deny the wrangler.

What can I do for say, 2 grand in tax money? I can up the price but cheaper is better. Pretty much just light offroading (long, muddy farm driveways) and snow driving are my goals.

I'd hate to get a Jeep and just "blend in" with everyone in my area, if that makes sense. But it is what it is

Wait, are you confusing the terminology "unibody" in reference to the difference between a removable bed cap and a fixed roof design? If that's the case, I'd still favour a fixed roof that's able to bare a significant load in the way of a roof rack system over a novelty removable roof.
Id like to see in essence what the new FJ Cruiser was, with a Ford badge and a V8 (with the 5 cylinder diesel Ranger engine as an option).