Electric brake pedal

Why the gas pedal is electric, and the brake pedal is hydraulic? why not electric?

Other urls found in this thread:

nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/direct_adaptive_steering.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The new NSX has fly-by-wire brakes. I wonder how the pedal feel is. I'll never get to find out.

Even steering is electric now

Some countries demand a physical connection between the brake pedal and the brakes by law.

electricity is a physical connection.

I reckon he meant mechanical

>his gas pedal is electric

every car i've driven with electronic throttle has a dead feeling pedal and serious amounts of lag, almost feels like a carb with a bad accelerator pump

>driving old cars

With a hydraulic connection you have 2-3 good presses if the car dies.

is that to go with your electric hand brake ?
hope your canbus gets haxed fuckball

Because full-electric brake pedals are not fail-safe.
If something goes wrong with the pedal sensors, then you don't brake and crash.

What you have now instead is something that always works even in case of total loss of power or engine shutdown. It works worse, but you can still brake.

Even electric steering wheels are still connected to the wheels with a traditional rack and pinion, so you can still steer in case of a catastrophic failure of the power steering system.

They are the way they are because they are safer.
Today's cars can virtually brake on their own using the ABS pump, but having a completely mechanical way of manually operating the brakes is a potentially life-saving feature.

Thanks for the answer.
Isn't the gas pedal is important as the brake pedal?

oy vey. You have all the presses you want, you just lose vacuum boost once the engine dies. You can still stop the car unless you have spindly chicken legs.

Not him. CertAinly for the daily function of your car, but I don't think there are nearly as many emergency situations where you absolutely need the gas pedal. Maybe I'm wrong

Which one puts the car in a lower energy state?

>being this "ironic" and/or stupid

No because if the gas pedal goes dead, you lose power, but you can still roll to a safe spot and call help.

If the brakes go dead, you better be on a straight empty highway or you are going to crash

Hydraulic brake systems rely on the pedal to provide pressure for the brakes. That's why they're fail-deadly; if the fluid goes, the brakes don't work.

Throttle-by-wire doesn't jam open, doesn't stick, and throttle issues can be fixed with a can of WD-40.

So stop buying cars older than 10 years, dipshit. Just get down there with the WD-40 and un-gum it.

>Hydraulic brake systems rely on the pedal to provide pressure for the brakes. That's why they're fail-deadly; if the fluid goes, the brakes don't work.
Then why is it good to keep it that way?

there are two circuits, you have to fuck up both to have zero brakes

cmon user

The throttle response in my NA miata is incredible. To be honest, I don't see how a fly-by-wire electronic system can beat it. You're literally pulling a cable connected to your pedal that physically opens a valve. The real-time feedback on a system like that is unbeatable.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's impossible.

>Drive old Volkswagen diesel
>The vacuum pump hasn't worked for years
>I never noticed the difference

That's electric power assist. There's still a physical connection between the steering gear and steering wheel.

That already exists. It's called "ABS"
You should google it.

The New NSX doesn't even fucking fly.

>UNCOUPLED ELECTRIC BRAKES
>UNCOUPLED ELECTRIC STEERING
NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

I understand how it works. I also know that every accident caused by a stuck throttle was due to a fly-by-wire system so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

'member this?

'member that??

'member them?

>cant actuate mechanical throttle on top of the engine by hand
why even own a car?

>trusting your life with electronics
Fucking never. Ill drive with four way drum brakes and no power booster first

>trusting your life with hydraulics

How? On acceleration they're all basically instant. The only time you'll experience lag is when it's artificially induced. Modern cars deliberately map the throttle so you have to really press down in "efficient" mode to get power. They also artificially hang revs to reduce emissions.

>electronics commonly fail on cars
>why aren't the brakes electronic

It really isn't a stupid question Op, just a scary one.

>mfw in 10 years all cars will probably have electric brakes

>tfw car is the last model year before they changed to drive by wire

tis a good feel

What car and year?

well, it would be cool in F1 or some hardcore rallies, because you wouldn't be at risk boiling brake fluid or air.

i don't know, maybe because of "what if" scare mongering faggots like , never mind the fact that all "assistance" systems are just hacks built upon ABS, and it's a fucking miracle that 5 different MCUs controlling the same thing can "work" together

and how the fuck hydraulic line is "mechanical"

>That's electric power assist. There's still a physical connection between the steering gear and steering wheel.
steering column is disconnected virtually all the time

> It's called "ABS"
ABS is just a pressure regulator

Well why is there a shaft going down to the steering box in

it's a fail-safe.
clutch should engage automatically shortly after failure

>Driving along in your brand new 2027 BMW powered Toyota
>Laugh at some pleb in his 40 year old shitbox, with it's hydraulic brakes, manual steering and manual transmission
>You think 'that poor fucker doesn't even know what he's missing'
>Engine throws a rod because BMW
>Rod shorts out battery wires
>No power to electric brakes
>Car doesn't slow down because the transmission is 100% electric
>E-brake is just an electric pushbutton on the dash
>Electric steering clutch was made by Takata and doesn't engage
>Your car T-bones a school bus
>Both car and bus careen off a cliff killing everyone in a fiery display

Yes this sounds like the perfect future

Heavy trucks use electric braking. As you depress the pedal a sensor in the treadle valve assembly sends a signal to the brake ECU that in turn opens the brake modulators at each wheel and feeds air to the brake pots. At the same time, the treadle valve is also sending air to the brake pots via hoses and relay valves, but it's redundant. You could disconnect all of the air hoses off the treadle valve and still drive around normally and not have any problem. It's a great system it reduces your stopping distance significantly

See:

>you wouldn't be at risk boiling brake fluid or air.
How do you actuate the brakes themselves then? Electric motors? Come on..
Also how the fuck do you boil air?

>it's a fucking miracle that 5 different MCUs controlling the same thing can "work" together
Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean it's a miracle.

>steering column is disconnected virtually all the time
What in the name of Jesus fucking Christ are you talking about.

>ABS is just a pressure regulator
Yeah, ok, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Show me 1 (one) steering rack for a car with a clutch on the steering column

the dead pedal feeling is quite noticable and all the big names do it now to some degree for emissions and muh MPG's.

its called throttle ramp in time, basically the time from requested throttle to actual throttle time could be as much as a second or two before the action really happens. same with backing off of the throttle, but typically the transmission goes into a higher gear/neutral/unlocks TC so you dont notice it.

It drives me nuts, my friends nissan titan was so bad you could sit there and stab the throttle constantly and the engine wouldnt go above 1000 rpm.

your a fucking idiot in every sense of the word.

there is no fucking clutch on an electric steering assist system. its a straight splined rod going down to the rack and pinion. even without power you can still steer the car because its fully mechanical.

how the fuck do you boil air?

The assistance systems in new cars are basic programming in an additional module on the can bus line, receiving information from certain other modules/ECU/TCU and outputting from the respective outputs. no black magic here, and certainly not based on the abs.

In fact i would say its the other way around, as ABS is the center for not only anti-lock brakes but also traction control and the various other nannies added in that use the abs controller to output brake pressure to certain wheels to do certain things.

Hydraulics are mechanical, as they are a mechanical force (fluid) acting upon a physical body. if you give your boyfriend a blowjob, the force from your mouth applies pressure on his dick in the form of air pressure. that is a mechanical transaction.

Abs is a solenoid control valve system with a single/multiple solenoids per wheel and a pressure regulated pump (PWM or fixed pressure) to activate/control fluid pressure to each wheel dependent on wheelspeed or derived traction over so many milliseconds when engaged.

You are either trolling or just stupid as fuck. Holy FUCK it makes me mad just reading that shit.

Nice, why not in cars?

holy fuck you're a one stubborn dipshit,
NISSAN explicitly says IN THEIR FUCKING PRESS RELEASE that there's a fucking clutch, disengaged by default "in" Q50 steering column, that should engage in the event of failure.
"classical" EPS acts only as a backup

there's virtually no fucking difference between "ABS" and "TCS" "pump"/pressure regulator besides methods of control

i never said you can "boil" air, you're just physically unable to read because of primitive and castrated language, and grading on the curve in your shitty for profit schools, where everyone is a winner.

There are cheap modules that reduce throttle lag a lot if you are so annoyed by that feeling.
They are usually marketed as tuning modules trying to get gullible ricers into thinking their car becomes faster, but their effect on throttle lag is real and pretty noticeable

I had a Saab 9-5 Aero that had a 1-2 second lag when you floored it before it would even spool the turbo up, you were talking 4 seconds before you were actually revving up

Because air brakes require compressors and heavy air tanks and the brakes themselves are generally a bit more complex.

It's ideal for tractors because you can simply hook an air hose to the trailer and you instantly have working brakes on every wheel without the need to bleed fluid, but you don't have that need for cars and it would add pointless complexity.

Hydraulic brakes are light, compact and reliable, which makes them perfect for light vehicles such as cars and pickup trucks

Please answer this
No, saying nissan had a press release that you only know about doesn't count as proof

>NISSAN explicitly says IN THEIR FUCKING PRESS RELEASE that there's a fucking clutch, disengaged by default "in" Q50 steering column, that should engage in the event of failure.
So you are saying that there is a sensor on your steering wheel, with motors on the steering rack so that when you turn the wheel, you can also turn the steering rack and the column attached to it?
Do you realise this means both the wheel and the column rotate at the same time and a clutch in the middle is simply a useless device designed to decouple two parts that are moving at the same rate anyway?
Are you high or just that stupid?

>i never said you can "boil" air
Yes you did here >wouldn't be at risk boiling brake fluid or air.

Please stop posting, you are making everyone dumber by showing them your retarded shit

nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/direct_adaptive_steering.html

>If a single ECU malfunctions, another ECU will instantly take control. In the event of power supply being disrupted, the backup clutch will engage, allowing operation by connecting the steering wheel and wheels mechanically.

Oh so now you are backpedaling on your previous claims that all electric power steering are clutch operated.

Because electric brake pedals are illegal and dangerous

You want an electronic clutch pedal as well, user?

Yeah maybe now

Like said, it would need a fail-safe mechanism. I think it would be fine if there were a fail-safe mechanism in place, but it seems a bit pointless since in order to engineer it this way, you'd essentially need to have electronic actuators controlling/assisting a mechanical linkage, much like electric power steering assist. Seems really pointless to me.

Dangerous because if power is cut to the car your brakes don't work which means if it happens while driving you're dead

How you don't have an electric e-brake too

>fly-by-wire
That term only applies to aircraft, just call it brake-by-wire

Electric gas pedal is not dangerous?

There are far less situations where a malfunctioning gas pedal is dangerous than there are with a malfunctioning brake pedal.

Whatever happens to the gas pedal, you can solve it by slowing down with the brakes and rolling to a safe position.
You can't do the same with a non working brake pedal in most scenarios

You don't need it to stop, dipshit. The gas pedal goes you drop to idle. Not dangerous.

Just shift into first and then force a stall when you are crawling

>Shift into first

You can't do it at highway speeds or any speed that is beyond first gear top speed.

>That's why they're fail-deadly; if the fluid goes, the brakes don't work.

That's also why they are hydraulic, which is reliable and works even if your engine dies. Split systems mean one leak at a wheel will only take out half your system.

OP should fucking Google, but he's too stupid to use a search engine.