/lite/ RogueLITE General

>Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ Edition

Last thread: >What is this?
A place to discuss all rogue-lites and related games and topics. Examples: The Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, Faster than Light, Spelunky, and Rogue Legacy.

>List of Some Rogue-lites (W.I.P)
pastebin.com/rwnYefeG

>Steam Rogue-lites
store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Rogue-lite/#p=0&tab=NewReleases

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/rogue-lite

>EtG character ideas
pastebin.com/Up96YEYk

>/ntg/ Pastebins
Character Ideas pastebin.com/JnGYReQj
Crown Ideas pastebin.com/TjhD5NAk
Soundmods pastebin.com/bAtMbDCV

Antibirth > Afterbirth+

AFTERBIRTH+ IS FUCKING SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

We got the best the game has ever been, followed almost immediately by the worst the game will ever be.

I don't know how I expected AB+ to suck and it's still way worse than expected.

fuck delirium was the only thing I liked about AB+

Greedier greedmode was pure suffering

So why does afterbirth+ suck ass?

duuude superarmour bosses lmao xD

It's too hard for most people desu.

>It's too unfun
ftfy

Pay $6.69 ($9.99 eventually) to add more bullshit and remove fun.

i dont like this steak

It's legit really low effort and the only thing it hides behind is "difficulty" which isn't real difficulty, it just throws really high HP enemies at you sooner.
So instead of spending 5 minutes fighting the same room of tumor-shitting scaredy spiders in the cellar, you now spend 10 minutes fighting later enemies that take even longer to kill.

does it stack?

Yes. Doesn't count as another Guppy item though.

So do we actually talk about good Roguelites in this general or is it just BoI?

yes

>good Roguelites
lol
It's all indie dogshit, might aswell talk about the biggest pile of indie dogshit

I'm ready for necrodancer amplified.

>backassward challenge
>brimstone
>oh baby
>1.50 damage
>restart
>god head
>holy fuck yes
>2 damage and bob's brain as another item
Fuck you Edmund

Ultra-Hard is where the true suffering is at

Who the fuck thought having every curse on was fun. it's not even hard it's just exceedingly fucking annoying.

does it steak?

>rebirth was fucking amazing
>afterbirth sucked ass
>afterbirth+ is even worse
>has been delayed like 5 times too
>fanboys still defend steakmund over it
When will they learn, /boig/?

>Antibirth crashes on startup

It's okay, I didn't want to play anyway

I beat it with top item Brimstone and floor 3 Sacred Heart.

If your speed is ass or you don't have a shitton of offense or the wafer, just hit R. Homing troll bombs will be suffering.

Tried this already?

So, I shouldn't buy Afterbirth+ right? Every Steam review shits on it.

It's less than 3$ in my country and I'm gonna play it almost every day regardless of content.

playing antibirth had me forgetting all the stupid shit they put in afterbirth and expanded on in afterbirth plus

hurr durr tiny rooms full of exploding enemies, that's what makes a game fun, right? You didn't want that devil deal anyways.

Treasure rooms can be empty now

That's all you need to know. That's an example of a feature they put in that DLC that they thought is good.

>Antibirth crashes on startup and I have Visual C++ installed

>The only good part about Afterbirth+ is that Antibirth will support it

>So do we actually talk about good Roguelikes in this general or is it just DCSS?

play antibirth instead

Are you fucking serious?

>implying it doesn't crash on startup

even dick is bashing on edmund/nicalis and saying they added content just because they didn't want to give mod creation for free

No it won't.

>half a soulheart

this is a mod? please tell me it's a mod

Nope.

Reset too many times in a row? Congrats, you get an achievement.

And all your soul hearts are half soul-hearts.

FOREVER

wow, what a fun mechanic, tanks edmundo

How do I install the dlc? I cant get it to work on steam.

>breadmund posts two tweets saying they'll fix things
>people keep sucking his dick

HOW ABOUT TESTING IT BEFOREHAND LIKE HOLY SHIT

Are you ready for bugfixes that barely change anything while nerf to shit that didn't need it will be undocumented in the baground.

That general is shit too senpai.

Same with Street Fighter General

what the fuck???this is the first floor?

Seriously, did they remove good items from the game?

Playing Apollyon is fucking suffering when my given item is useless and nothing of any worth at all ever drops.

I think that Apollyon is actually pretty good, considering the amount of shit items in the game.

>new enemies that spawn enemies that spawn enemies that spawn enemies
>new type of spider that spawns other spiders

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

E D M U N D
D
M
U
N
D

So how long before Antibirth will work with Afterbirth+?

I havent played antibirth but after 10 unsucessful runs with literally 0 damage items in each, I am already tired of edmund's idea of fun.

so here's a conundrum for everyone
In greedier mode me and a friend have gotten mama mega with apollyn, and on the shop level when it is used it opens up a door that looks like a boss rush door.
Upon going into it the game crashes and removes mama mega from your void.

Is there a game like rogue legacy where you can become more powerful after you die?

I don't know what the fuck is with the antibirth people, the download mirrors on the site are constantly pointed at different and wacky versions, like a .zip that's missing half the files such as the executable itself or an .exe that flat out doesn't put the right shit into the folder. It's really fucking bizarre and annoying.

If it's crashing immediately on start up, take the stuff in your binding of isaac rebirth/resource folder, and copy paste all of it into your binding of isaac antibirth/resource folder.

what does vibrant bulb do?

Is it just me or is curse of darkness in AB+ even more dark and annoying

Sometimes, yes.

pretty sure they won't, they hate AB+

Hmmm... I wonder what April Fools challenge is about? Okay, you cant trust the map and items are fucked up. Ok, so far so go-

it's a known bug, check the wiki
>So how long before Antibirth will work with Afterbirth+?
probably never, the lead antibirth dev vocally hated afterbirth+, and their artist drew this as a sort of protest.

>And all your soul hearts are half soul-hearts.
More like 10% of your soul hearts.

I fucking hate greed mode and I hate Edmund for forcing yet another version of it on us with this sad excuse for a DLC.

>probably never, the lead antibirth dev vocally hated afterbirth+,

All the more reason for them to improve it with Antibirth.

After a good nights sleep, some of the weird shit like moon card not taking you to secret room has been fixed with a patch apparently, so we have to see if shit like treasure rooms not having anything in them is a bug or a "feature". So far the only two decent new items I've come across are the zelda fairy which points out all secrets in the room, including trapdoors and tinted rocks, and the bark moon thing which is a damage buff that makes you howl when a secret room is nearby.

Still, theres shit that needs to be fixed, like Vis Sisters spawning at the bottom of the room, resulting you immediatly taking a hit from the boss if the door to the boss room is on the bottom.

>Monthly booster packs don't actually start until February
>McMuffin ignoring the steaming hatred for Delirium and all the new Bosses and content

Of course he's gonna ignore it.
He got away with it in afterbirth and he's gonna get away with it in afterbirth+.

>to see if shit like treasure rooms not having anything in them is a bug or a "feature"
it is a feature, edmund tweeted to ask if he should implement it or not some months ago (basically asked if he should add super-rare treasure rooms that offer 2 items [where you keep both of them instead of having a choice] but you'd also get a chance of getting a literal shit treasure room as well); looks like it actually got in.

I've seen 3 or 4 Shit Treasure Rooms.
0 Double Ups.

FUCKING PORTALS.

Am I getting this right: Antibirth works with rebirth, but not with afterbirth or afterbirth+?

Are they going to make it compatible with afterbirth at some point? I couldn't care less about AB+ but afterbirth has some neat stuff

Oh god. Even a "treasure room with deliberately shit item in it" wouldve been better than nothing.

Only difference is that Afterbirth wasn't as unanimously hated everywhere unlike AB+

Funny enough, Ed wasn't even that involved in the making of AB+, it was mostly Nicalis that did the balancing.

Correct.
They have said they're considering putting Afterbirth, with tweaks, in Antibirth, but have said they explicitly do not ever want to put Anti and AB+ in the same game iteration.

> but have said they explicitly do not ever want to put Anti and AB+ in the same game iteration.
I'm pretty glad actually. I made the mistake of getting AB+, played for 5 minutes, got an empty treasure room then uninstalled it again

Shit like that is the reason I dislike many challenge runs aswell. Doing a run with none or close to no items isn't fun or harder, it's just more tedious

Edmund said they're in touch with the antibirth devs, but now antibirth devs openly hate AB+ so remains to be seen.

Hopefully, more content is always better, and mods can always remove stupid balance shit like empty treasure rooms.

I dont understand Edmunds eagerness to nerf powerful item combos when the biggest nerf those combos have is the fact the item pool is bigger again and its much harder to find the exact items you want. By the time you actually do get lucky with your items, you destroying everything should be deserved.

Still, it was really bad.
It's kinda satisfying to see people that thought fatmund dindu nuffin wrong with afterbirth getting fucked over.

>but have said they explicitly do not ever want to put Anti and AB+ in the same game iteration
Not exactly, they have expressed a deep dislike for the mod when it first came out but now that the shitstorm has settled down, they expressed that they definitely want some aspects of AB+ in antibirth

Keep AB+ items, remove everything else it added.

Did AB+ actually add any GOOD items? The only one I've found is the tesla coil thing that produces lightning when tears hit.
Also Void is decent but only because of the surplus of shitty items.

But 90% of items added in afterbirth are literal copies of existing items.
Do you really want that to clog up your item pool?

I personally enjoyed Afterbirth. Balancing issues and boring alt-floors aside, I enjoyed the new synergies, characters, items and greed mode was okay, although I'll agree that the ARG was stupid. Antibirth however has next to no redeeming qualities, and even the mod tools suck.

And the fatmund comment you made is kinda funny because the more the DLC's progressed, the less involved Ed was in the projects. He actually had few input over AB+, and much of the decisions for re-balancing were taken by Nicalis. He's still part of the fault on why we got a bunch of the items in afterbirth locked, however, which I agree is easily one of the shittiest things he's done.

I won't say I enjoyed it, but it was at least bearable.
Afterbirth+ on the other hands makes me cringe.
I feel that a good way to compare them is using the treasure rooms. Afterbirth added treasure rooms that you have to either pay for with health or a bomb, but afterbirth+ has treasure rooms that are fucking empty.

Exactly, the balancing is just completely thrown out the window, and continuously making the game more difficult for the player doesn't really make it more fun or challenging, considering how RNG-based a game like Binding of Isaac.

Plus whether they like it or not, community is going to flock around AB+ because of the modding tools so thats where the Antibirth should be.

Reminds me when Dawn of War: Soulstorm first came out and everyone quickly realised how shoddy an expansion it really was and how everything felt rushed (because it was). But because that was the version with the most content of them all, thats where the online community set down to. And eventually patches fixed some of the bullshit in Soulstorm, which made it currently the best version of DoW despite having a shitty launch.

Rebirth- 96%
Afterbirth- 93%
Afterbirth+- 63%

It would be interesting to see what Antibirth would get if it was on steam.

I'd say around a 96 after a few months.

>They'll be bugfixing like mad this week
>And tweaking enemy spawns
>Oh also, we're Nerfing all the fun stuff

Watch him make brimstone and mom's knife useless, I'm calling it now.

Void is gonna first up for sure.
>Is new
>Is actually still fucking insanely powerful despite already being Nerfed to 6 charges

shit, because it would cost money.

IMO it doesnt need nerfs, it has some hilarious ways to completely shit on your run if you accidentally consume the wrong active items. Whether its good or not completely depends on your RNG.

>sulfuric acid
holy shit these are great

Except this is Edmund we're talking about.

If Antibirth starts to port back stuff from AB and AB+ can't Nicolo issue them a cease and desist?
It would literally be providing paid content for free.

wake me up from this nightmare.

wait, they want you to 100% the game on all three save files?

yes

Yup, which is why its safer for them to port Antibirth to AB+, then also provide a mod which fixes the bullshit aspects of ab+

is it an achievement?

yes