Why do Porsche cars have so many variants?

Why do Porsche cars have so many variants?

Also what's the point of a GTS spec for 911?

gts is the best "normal" variant (ie not turbo or GT3)
It's like the Grand Sport Corvette.
It's usually introduced late in the product cycle when demand is flagging (idk why they launched it so early this time)

My guess is that they're trying to attract "enthusiast" buyers who've otherwise been turned off by the switch to turbo and electric steering.

I haven't driven the new 991.2 yet (and probably won't get to do so any time soon) but I got to drive the original 991 C2S on track and was pretty disappointed with it compared to the 997. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche is having trouble marketing it to real drivers.

Nice. Thank you.

GTS is the normal S with all options added. But they charge less than it would be for adding the options individually (sport exhaust and steering wheel, chrono, etc.)

Wrong

the amount of options is far crazier and more confusing to me

>New GTS will have the Turbo 3.0
what the fuck, Porsche?
I know they're making amazing cars at the moment, but this just doesn't make any sense at all.

All 911's have turbos now. Yes, even though the 911 Turbo is still a trim.

Although it's about as good sounding/linear/NA-feeling as a turbo engine can get, to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't know.

It sounds like a turbo from outside.
It's not as bad inside though.

Yeah, the magazine reviews are worthless because journalists suck the manufacturers dicks in order to get cars to review, so they have to be positive. The 991.2s don't sound nearly as good. They are the same volume with the sport exhaust, but they aren't as musical - it sounds closer to a leafblower. It's not bad, it's just not as good as before.

They just make it a pain in the ass by giving it a million different names instead of a bunch of options boxes.

They kinda make sense if you look into it. You don't always need max horsepower for the track, but you want stiff suspension and racing seats or whatever so you get the GT2 or 3 or some shit like that. If you want HP on the road, 911 Turbo.

I mean I guess the BMW 3-Series is similar, they have tons of options too. You could get a 328i, get that one with the M package for some better brakes, get the 340i for more power without total racecar mode, then M3GTS for the track...

The point is so everyone who knows cars can tell you don't. Otherwise you'd bought the cayman.

Yeah but then other rich normies look at you and think you're a badgewhore because you bought a cheap 911 look-alike.

Can confirm
>t. rich normie

>instead of a bunch of options boxes.
Someones never ordered a Porsche

I know, but I'm saying even more options boxes. Or at least option packages like the regular car brands do without having an entirely different model.

They are still all the same model anyway but they try and make it more confusing.

>they all have 911 in the name and look like a 911, and everything else only determines the style of roof and the performance package
>SO CONFUSING

Yeah, I follow. I was just making the point that Porsche has more options than anyone. The engine and drivetrain (i.e. S versus 4S) all change and then there is generally some mild exterior change like a wider fender or different rear panel. Porsche shares a lot of parts though, that's partly why they are so profitable.

But it's also this What do they even have now? 4, 4S, S, RS, Turbo, GT2, GT3, Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera 4S. And it makes no sense which one is actually a better model.

Actually no. It contains most options that is optional on the S.

Depends on what you want. It's Carrera, S, 4, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S - and the Cabriolet models of those. Then GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 RS.

What is better depends what you want.

Retarded

>enthusiest
>hates easyer steering
>hates turbos

It kind of works for their business model. It seems excessive to me too, but, they stagger the releases and I think it helps them from a manufacturing and marketing standpoint.

oh my gaaaawd

Why is the R on there if all have been sold out?

Don't forget the targa 4 GTS

Ah yeah, forgot about the Targa. They also do a lot of bullshit "editions" at the end of the runs, like "Black Edition" and shit. Likely they are regional also.