/civ4xg/ - Civilization, Stellaris, Endless and 4X Games General

>Civilization Resources
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) - well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums - - - - civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games - - - - - - - - - - - - - - civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 - - - - - play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) - dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter - - - - - - - - - - - - - georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding - modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop - steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods - - - - - - -- forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods - - - - - - - - pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Steam group - - - - - - - - steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris
- Mod archive - - - - - - - -- mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations - pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual - - - - - - cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 -- - - - - - endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 -- - - - - - endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements - pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories - - - - mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

game over

Thanks m4x2.

>"Galactic power surge!"
>Most of my fleet is in drydock getting upgraded.
>Due to modded equipment they won't be ready for a decade (I broke up a fallen empire and had a lot of technological goodies to fit to my ships).
>Only have the reserve fleet and what is basically a Death Star that can't kill planets.
>They've spawned in my territory.
Well, this is going to be a fun exercise in guerrilla warf-
>And right next to two fallen empires.
>One of whom woke up centuries ago.
I took a few screenshots of the resultant roflstomp. Still terrified of going after the awoken empire, but we'll see what changes in ten years...
Also apologies for the screenshot for ants, I have some closeups but they're pretty crowded. This was the only one that showed both fallen attacking. Not pictured: The three Unbidden fleets the one on the right went through without a dent.

Can anyone give me a more clear idea what settling on a tile in civ 6 preserves and removes?
I know if you settle on a luxury you get it when you can work it, But other than that what are the yield caps?

STOP

Is Stellaris good yet

the worst is when this shit happens as you're trying to build or settle somewhere.
I swear the bodyblock strats would be legit in multiplayer

Wait, there actually is some sort of signal thing in that DLC?

You just have to allow xenos leadership.

>Due to modded equipment they won't be ready for a decade
FUCKING SPLIT YOUR DOOMSTACK AND UPGRADE IT USING SEVERAL PORTS YOU DOOFUS

>They've spawned in my territory.
>And right next to two fallen empires.
Happened to me every times those shitlords showed up.

If you did not manage to snatch Matter Desintegrators from the debris you a scrub.

roll

comfy
Largest landmass and merlin starts on his own island

Until combat is revamped the answer will always be no.
Wait for ES2.

How do I start GalCiv2? Never played a GalCiv game before, what's the general approach?

It's exactly the same game as Civ 3, except IN SPACE.

In other words, a fairly traditional 4x. Explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. Stay friendly with xenos until you're sure you know what's going on (you don't start with boarding ship technology, so if a war starts you can't really win anyway). Expand as quickly as you can afford, so that you can develop places instead of leaving them to the alien.

'Exploit' is kinda hard in GalCiv, since the economic system is seriously counterintuitive, but if your brain is wired the right way you might be able to make sense of it.

Also note that GalCiv2 was developed before the insidious 'tall' meme corrupted the once-fun 4x genre. You are expected to nurture a galactic civilization, not micromanage the development of your home planet until auto-winning the game on a contrived victory condition for pacifists.

Good to know.

Thanks. I started a game with the jew looking guys who make a lot of money and are lucky. I spammed colony ships in the first dozens of turns. a space hydra destroyed one of my scouts. When should I get into ship making or military activity? What sort of research line is better for beginners?

Always keep enough military to dissuade attacks by your rivals. I, and many people, tend to be soft in the beginning in order to leverage research and expansion, but this game does have a lot of militaristic civs that will conquer you if they can.

Not every game you see arcanian mithril.

Probably silver that was transmuted by one of the other wizards, they all have nature magic.

Green circles = Mithril
Blue circles = Silver

MY BEARD TINGLES

Tlaloc be loaded yo.

What's that? An antman?

Anyone? I need to improve my early game

Build an army to keep barbarians at bay.
Resign to everyone hating you.

Not what i was asking about. I know that part.

pretty much

It was building a road to my city, and then wanted to build the road through my city so it attacked

I would play this game if you could customize enemy mages.
SO I can play low fantasy with weak spells and weak summons.

I can recommend Dominions 4, but it relies way too much on magic for you.

could mod the game

Any news when Stellaris new patch gonna be?

Late era is with less magic

Why isn't there a mod for Civ VI that arranges and balances the production costs yet?

The SDK isn't out yet (and will probably never be released, as the current gamedev meta is to make money on DLC), so it's pretty hard to do modding.

So that means Civ VI is already doomed.

Ok everybody, back to the game you where playing before Civ VI. Nothing more to see here.

The good thing is that now I look even more forward for ES2 and expansions for Stellaris.

Back to Distant Worlds?
Please no, I have a life.

For space games, do you prefer grid-based or node-based maps?

>go back to kotor 2 and witcher 3
But I have over 400 hours of playtime on each one.

Go play Endless Legend, TW Warhammer, Alien Isolation, Dark Souls, Stellaris or some other game then.

Civ VI aint even close to be one of the decent games of 2016.
And now we may not even get to mod it to make it bearable. It's doomed if this turns out to be right.

It depends on the rest of the design. If there is nothing out there other than points of interest (such as star systems), and all the action happens inside of them, then there's probably no point having a grid. If you want to have a tactical game where positioning matters in the same way as Civ, then use a grid.

At this point, though, it's clear that most space game 4x players are low-end people who want an RPG with a thin veneer of strategy. For them, a realtime (pausable) game is best, and for that you may as well use continuous space.

Haven't played enough of them, but maybe a grid could make them more interesting. The expanding part seem pretty lacking in space 4x compared to other 4x and maybe if they were more designed around grid that could be fixed.

>Alien Isolation
No.

>maybe if they were more designed around grid that could be fixed.
Why do you believe that grids encourage expansion?

Not encourage, improve.

Colonization in nodes is a matter of y/n, there's no placement of your city to see where you can fit it in and which materials you can grab, which potential future city you may block by placing that city, and how the overlapping affects your other cities negatively.

so I just bought distant worlds on sale a few days ago and I simply cannot get it working, it just crashes when I try to start it.

is this a common problem with a solution or should I just get a refund?

Check the forum, it runs flawlessly for me.

Post spec.

Why is it in Vox Populi my people are always in poverty and have high crime rates? I never have illiteracy or boredom. Is the happiness requirement scaling just shit?

If Direct X SDK isn't installed, the game won't run. Go to redist folder in game directory and click DXSETUP.exe, do it manually.

Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer must be installed and activated in Windows Components.

>Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer
Kinda like Freelancer and Rise of Legends?

Probably you should build walls and markets.

never played any of those, but I know that Distant Worlds engine uses these programs.

Prioritizing gold or even defenses does little. No matter what I focus on, I'm always perfectly fine with culture and science and always behind in defense and gold. The only exception are cities that just happened to be net to a lot of gold producing tiles which help alleviate poverty. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to you in most of your games.

What game?

Galactic Civilizations II.

>Prioritizing gold or even defenses does little.
It's not only about prioritizing, you have to build Aqueduct line of buildings to reduce poverty threshold and military buildings to reduce crime threshold. Raising yields won't do much on its own.

This doesn't look like gal civ II.
Not with all this hyperlanes.

Oh shit, my bad. Wrong picture. I don't know that other game.

In space games, you already know where your cities go. On planets and asteroids. This whole city placement set of mechanics you're talking about is only relevant in ground-based games like Civilization.

Yes.
Which is why the expanding element of a 4x set in space isn't nearly as interesting as they are in 4x set not in space.
At least so far. For example if you had a grid you could use a different system in a space 4x that mimics city placement of non space 4x.

I really fucking wish that UI enhancements have high priority in Stellaris. Choosing what species colonizes a planet is fucking horrible with the dropdown menu that has no filters.

That's your punishment for allowing a degenerate xenophiliac ethnic divergence galore on your worlds.

Paradox are just doing G-d's work here.

Exavtly why I am only settling militaristic humies instead of the hippies. But its quite frigging hard to find that fucking planet with them thorugh the screen.

>stardock has gone full paradox with dlc
where do I download the dlc for free and how is galciv 3 so far? worth playing yet?

no

Any must have mods for stellaris?

Not really. Most of them, despite the supposed addition of "new stuff" and overhauls are essentially just flavor and breaking of already far from perfect balance.

>Trying out cultists.
>Working on faction quest.
>Quest tells me to go kill wild walkers cap.
>Yes sir mr. quest.
>Broken lords between me and them.
>Wild walkers have piss for military, but BL is a powerhouse right now.
>Get together the resources to create a small army of super archers all with the quest accessory.
>Expensive as fuck but managed to get a shit load of titanium and glassteel from drakken because they were so fucking terrified of me they made a peace offer.
>Steamroll BL with my archers who hit for nearly 200 damage (and that's BEFORE the buff from the preacher mind you).
>BL was warring with wild walkers when I came up and stomped him with the queen's fist.
>Now the faction that I have to raze off the face of auriga is now viewing me as their savior.
>Also is at peace with the drakken, which means they like me even more now.
I feel fucking terrible.

Is there any benefit to choosing Deneb over Sol, or Sol over Deneb?

>ain't no place like home
>Deneb has some bitching names

Right, but Deneb is a larger planet, right?

Once Horizon Signal concludes, does Deneb get more habitable worlds?

>not making your own faction
I've literally never played any of the default factions and I have no idea why you would.

Ssra just moved some trolls over to arcanus.

I'm two turns away from being able to building warships that I will then cast Flight on, otherwise my armies are basically just nomad/high men bowmen, some with magical bows, and two flying storm giants.

I did make my own faction -- I just want to know if there's a tangible benefit to using one of the pre-established systems.

roll

found some steam discussions with similar problems, saw all sorts of solutions but none of them worked for me
it's a fairly new laptop with windows 10
all of those are installed (even installed using the .exe in the steam folder to be sure)

guess I'll try reinstalling

>windows 10

it just works :^)

I am fond of 4x

shut the fuck up you stupid elf girl

>subhumans
>posts an onahole

needs a name

Uncle Adolf

Sir Fisty

>armsmaster
name him Master Baiter

>make carriers in stellaris
>fps starts to crawl when they attack

Need another name

I'd like some caster heroes, but Noble is nice right now. Noble means he has no upkeep and gives me gold instead.

Osama Bin Laden

or just Osama if too long.

Fucking perfect

>buy Endless Space 2
>no idea what I'm doing
>okay let's try these black-glowing space women they sound cool
>okay I can't colonize, I need to build arks
>how do I build more arks to expand
>okay I can't build anymore yet
>holy fuck information overload
>this game is making me feel like I'm retarded
>exit out after one round out of embarrassment
welp

>Picking the most mechanically unique faction to start with when you have no idea what you're doing
Play Sophons or United Empire

Holy shit are AoW3 units fragile