Need Help/Advice

So i have a 1990 Mazda miata (pic Related)
high millage and want something faster.
my plan is to do a $600 turbo setup i found on youtube and run 12psi for a while until it blows but what should i swap to? i like the idea of a SR20 or a 305 V8 help me decide or if you have any better ideas let me know
p.s Im Poorfag so cheap motors are appreciated

>inb4 "LS Swap Is The Only Option"

Mazda 626 Enigne swap (~200 hp)
don't swap a 305 its a pigfat engine that will totally change the car
the SR20 isn't a bad choice though
you might want to just supercharge the stock engine anyway though. especially if youre a poorfag, it WILL be the cheapest option.

supercharge the 1.6.? i never thought about that i'll look into it

>600$ turbo
Don't. Save your money for something actually good. Cheapest option that'll actually work is probably a premade centrifugal kit.

>SR20
Might as well throw in a Honda K-series
>305 V8
Why in the hell would you pick a iron smog era Chevy small block with small displacement, when you can throw an aluminium LS in?

Other options I'd consider (in no particular order):
>1UZ (Toyota/Lexus V8)
>Pretty much any V6, Mazda K-series in particular
>Rotary
>2.3 DISI Turbo
>Windsor V8 (pretty light despite beign iron block)
>Rover V8 (aluminium, although unreliable and kinda gutless)

the 305 because i can get one super cheap and they're somewhat reliable

i like the idea of a V6

Thought about rotary but reliability issues and id go broke feeding it oil

what are your opinions on the ND 2.0L skyactiv I4?

If your poor how is spending money to blow up an engine you think you want to replace logical to you? Stay poor my friend.

not super poor and it'll be fun to do and a nice experience

Currently driving an sr20det in a 240 and its some of the most budget fun ive ever had. Try it in a miata and if you survive tel us how it is.

A 305 is heavy though, and it lacks the power any other small block Chevy would make. Other SBC's are cheap too, especially junkyard truck ''LS'' engines. I wouldn't want a 250hp 305, you might as well heavily boost the existing I4 for those kind of power goals.

Rotaries don't have reliability issues, they have maintenance issues. Feeding it two stroke oil is cheap, actually, and it's probably just a weekend car anyways.

I wouldn't go with the newer ND I4. They're so much on the ragged edge of detonation, thanks to their extremely high compression, fitting a standalone ECU would make for some problems.

Daily actually, probably should've mentioned that i love rotaries but i know nothing about keeping them maintained what are some other small blocks you'd recommend?

The only US-made small block I'd actively recommend is the LS. Every other one is all-iron, and you'll notice that weight difference on the front end of a Miata. so, unless you've got 5K spare for a 3rd gen Hemi or Windsor aluminium block, go LS.

For a daily, I'd recommend you just get a shitbox. Leave the crazy stuff for the weekend.

How the fuck do all of you faggots somehow innately know how to do engine swaps? You all say it so casually like it's an easy task that anyone can do when I know it isn't. You need a literal crane and it often involves modifications to the transmission and a bunch of other shit.

Stop pretending you know how to do engine swaps. You can't. sage

you're overthinking engine swaps, just limit yourself to engines that actually fit your car and no mods need to be made, yes you need a crane that's general knowledge but its a small crane some wouldn't even call it a crane and usually its fairly simple

13b

>remove everything from car
>elevate front of car
>slide new engine and trans under
>lower car onto engine
>square it up
>weld on new engine mounts from a kit/make them
>jack car back up, supporting trans
>weld in trans mount from old car or make new one/use a kit
>measure driveline length
>send off the two driveline and measurements to have that made.
>install headers, use hammer to make fit
>sort out exhaust
>build a line adapter/buy one for the clutch
>Polish hole for shifter if it has changed position
>install complete wiring harness from donor car, adapt wherever possible. Or go standalone ecu and canbus dash because racecar
>bigger radiator, longer hoses whatnot to make cooling work
>install custom driveshaft
>adapt old fuel system to connect to the different lines
>lower car, close hood, go drive it

It isn't hard?

>weld

dropped

if you have to ask us what you should swap into your miata after you hack togeather a $600 turbo kit

it means you really dont have the necesary supplies or materials to do this

KL-DE/KL-ZE/KL-G4

dropping in a identical replacement motor is a piece of cake, should take an afternoon or two
dropping in a different motor that was available as an option is a little harder but shouldnt break the bank
swapping to a motor that never belonged in the chassis can be a huge bitch

This started out ok but really lost steam at
>square it up

These steps are bullshit and exactly what someone would say if they've only watched youtube on how to swap eninges

>weldings hard and expensive

Git fucking good.

You don't square up your engine inside the chassis before you custom make mounts?
You like it just in there crooked or what?

If your a poor fag and contemplating wasting $600 on a junk turbo, don't. Instead, save some money and do it proper or at-least semi-proper. Alternatively, you could invest that $600 and not buy shit parts.

This