What does Veeky Forums think of CVTs?

What does Veeky Forums think of CVTs?

Good in theory, gay in practice; at least the ones I have ridden/driven

>gay in practice
Explain your poor decisions.

Poorly execution of a good idea.

If anything it should work like a bicycle where the chain/band actually hops through different diameter cogs instead of this idiotic "let's just squeeze it up and down".

Also, good luck rebuilding one.

Just get an 8 speed

Are you sure that would be good to do at such high rpms?

Good for Snowmobiles and Golf Carts, That's it.

They're called snow machines, city slicker.

fantastic if you have an engine made for operating at one speed
the problem is car makers use existing engines tacked onto CVTs, which are made for variable RPM

CVT means Continuously Variable Transmission
If there were individual cogs it would no longer be continuously variable
Then it would just be a gearbox

Limited torque handling. Plus they are lossy (friction). So transmitting any significant power is going to be problematic.

Definitely golf cart material.

Nigger say what?

This is a "snow machine"

(technically a snow lance, but hey)

Your brain is called slow machine, silly nigger.

and here are a few snowmobiles

I fucking hate how loud these things are. It's a monumental disturbance to man and animal alike. Feasible electric snowmobiles when?

Yeah man transfer 300-400 lbs of torque with a mobile chain that needs to be unmeshed with one sprocket in order to shift. Great idea !

and here is a snowmobile after its been used to run snow machines

Probably going to be a long while - hybrids will probably come in not too long for GT-snowmobiles and similar ones

And here is some fucking snow

As long as they aren't from Jatco.

where is this beautiful place

I say "snowmobile"
>arguing over differences in dialects on a Mongolian baking forum

My hometown of Trysil, Norway; and my workplace

So its a CVT with an "auxiliary gearbox"

Isn't that working backwards towards a transmission with gears?

God damnit, fuck you. Give me your winters.

CVTs have a much more limited lifespan than traditional automatics, and many places are still working out the problems that arise in mass producing them. However, you also are getting problems with dual clutch automatics these days, so a lot of new cars are honestly not the reliable option when you realize torque converter automatics have 50 years of development behind them.

Fortunately, a lot of dealers have lifetime warranties, and a change of driving habits coupled with regular ATF changes will help CVTs last a bit longer.

Personally, I feel like the computers they're paired too are the bigger problem, since the electronic throttle control paired with continuous computer controlled power delivery will neuter driver control, and I wonder what a more aggressively tuned CVT would feel like.

Nuh

Perfect for go kart and small vehicule application

>lbs of torque

clearly they meant yard/lbs of torque

I don't like the idea that I have no control over gear changes. I prefer my Tiptronic that drives like a manual w/o having to mash a clutch all day in traffic.

I like the idea but I drove a little Toyota and it felt weird. What I imagine it should be this step-less rush of power up to speed then rpms settling when you start to cruise. I imagines economic driving with effortless onrushes of power like a wave. I guess Im waiting for Lexus to do it right.

>What does Veeky Forums think of CVTs?

Unproven technology. I'll trust both them and direct gasoline injection when they've both been in widespread use for about 40 years.

Until then I think I'll keep my modern automatic (GM THM, 1957) or a modern manual (Porsche, 1952) and conventional EFI (Bosch Jetronic, 1967).

Alaskans are retards.