Ford Explorer 1993 vs Jeep Grand Cherokee I

Ford Explorer 1993 as a first car? What do you think?
Is Jeep Grand Cherokee I a better option? I'd be using this to drive to work, in town and from time to time for longer drives.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yaR_D49V6A0
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1s30eFvwpw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I had a 1st gen Explorer Sport 2WD 5spd, my friend had a 1st gen GC 5.2L AWD. His transmission took a shit and it cost a lot to be replaced(I wasn't mechanically inclined enough to help him at the time). My most expensive repair was clutch replacement which was

I head that Grand Cherokee I breaks A LOT.
Idk if that's true tho. I guess if you use it off road it will more likely break faster than in town. What do you think?
Thanks for the reply.

These are almost 30 year old cars at this point, don't expect new car reliability. Something will break eventually.

If you're not going to get a manual, get the Jeep with the 5.2L V8. An auto 4x4 4dr 1st gen Explorer wouldn't hold a candle to the V8 powered GC. I know from having raced one and my friends Jeep on separate occasions in my Explorer I mentioned in my previous post. I roasted the auto Explorer and ran door to door with my friends Jeep.

>shit
Vs
>shit
Why would you want shit?

Try to find a car made after 1996. Working on them when they do break will be less of a headache.

This

They're both terrible options and grossly unreliable. The jeep in particular will be beat to hell and in horrible shape.I have yet to see a decent one for less than 6k

Get a civic for 3k.

just go buy a $49 civic and be done with it you queer

Assuming youre the same guy every time (which i sadly doubt)
Do you even own a civic?

Yes.

>owning a civic
Sad

A civic would be a far better option than both of these shit cars you're considering

Not OP youre replying to.

Doesn't matter it's still true

Be that as it may, a civic is not the end all be all vehicle.

It is if you're a poorfag

No its not

It is if you're considering two absolute trash choices of suvs

>implying you cant get a better SUV for 3k
>implying a civic is comparable to an SUV

Just shut up and get a 3k or less civic, you can't afford a suv if you're in this price range

Still not OP
Youre such a moron

You clearly are op, stop being a little bitch and buy your civic like a good poor cuck

Still not OP
>civic owner
>calling anyone a bitch
Hahahahahahaha

chevy tahoe

Both are unreliable, I'd consider the Explorer worse than the GC though.

You can get SUVs that are also bad on gas but more comfortable and far more reliable for similar money.

>Leather interior
>Power everything
>Premium sound package
>3/4 ton
>4x4
>$1800

It's everything you could want out of an SUV.

Hey, OP here.

Listen. It's gonna be an old SUV anyway. Wether it's Jeep GC or Ford Explorer. If you say they're both shit at least tell me why.
I'd love to drive that V8 GC or that V6 Explorer.

>If you say they're both shit at least tell me why.
UNRELIABLE.
Full size fuel economy without the power or capability.
Uncomfortable.

Look for different SUVs.

Okay, I'm open to suggestions. I only considered Jeep GC, Ford Explorer of Toyota 4Runner. Don't know any old SUVs.

See Suburbans are cheap, reliable, and comfortable.

Ford explorers post-96 with a v8 are fine if you're dead set on a shitty suv. If you can't afford a clean v8 Explorer then you shouldn't get one at all.

My buddy just got a 5.0L AWD Mountaineer for $1400, they're well within OPs budget.

youtube.com/watch?v=yaR_D49V6A0
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1s30eFvwpw

Lift jeep, land fat chicks

Senpai, get a 1997.5 + V8 explorer, preferably the AWD variant with tow package. Pretty sure even the 2WD V8 explorer came with a rear LSD stock.

you want the 1997.5+ model because they have better heads (GT40p) and 15 more HP.

>legendary reliable 5.0
>fairly reliable AWD system, even more reliable if 2WD (and still will have LSD).
>bulletproof proven 4R70W 4 speed automatic.

A 2WD V8 explorer is literally and I meant LITERALLY the most reliable explorer money can buy. closely followed by the AWD variant.

You're right. Its the Honda CRV.

Fuck the V8 get the goddamn 4.0. Both engine and transmission (AW4 if auto) litter the earth and are stupid cheap. Most of what goes wrong on the GC is electrical gadgets and creature comforts anyway.

>LITERALLY the most reliable explorer money can buy.
Finding the most reliable Explorer is like finding the best smelling pile of steaming hot dog shit.

Sure it might not be as bad as the others, but it's still a pile of shit, and you're still a shitpile enthusiast for bothering to find it.

With OP's choices its a much better alternative and will hardly cost more.

Friends got a 1998 5.0 AWD with 250k miles and the damn thing still just keeps going. AWD and LSD rear even still work fully as we just tested it in the snow here in WNC. Even drove over iced roads safely.

Gt40p explorer a goat. With a cam, valve springs, headers and a tune your looking at around 300 to 320hp.

Helps that the gt40p intake is also one of the best factory intakes Ford install.

>With OP's choices its a much better alternative and will hardly cost more.
But there are even better alternatives that wouldn't cost any more.

shit, guys. I thought it's gonna be easy to choose something. Some of the cars you suggested are.. ugly. I hate looking at them and I would never buy them. Idk why but I still stick to my 3 options. I really really want that V8.
That's a monster.

Some people own Jeeps and they say they don't break. Other people say they break a lot.
You guys say Ford Explorer is shit and that Jeep is shit. I still got some more months until I get enough money to buy something, but damn it it's hard to choose a car. You'd think it's gonna be easy...

I have a 2001 mountaineer thats just rolled over to 270k miles. Its been through 1.5 front end rebuilds and oil changes with synthetic evry 6k miles since it drove off the lot and you would swear it has half that. Heirloom cars are best cars though.

Unless he wants to hop a curb or drive on slightly damp gravel.

Except
>short wheelbase
>expectations of anything over 12 mpg in the city
>parking in a crowded parking lot ever

>short wheelbase
Overrated.

>expectations of anything over 12 mpg in the city
I got around 14 in town, probably could have done better if I tried.

>parking in a crowded parking lot ever
Easy for me. Not my fault you don't know how to park.

Google both cars, they are known to have shitty owners that do nothing to maintain the car plus they're horribly unreliable.

They're basically all the cons of a SUV without the pros

I have a super cab long bed f150. I can park fine i just cant open my doors sometimes.
I also have a 4.0 sohc exploder and its fucking magnificent and 16/23mpg

Yeah get a 2000+ ford exploder. The old ones are fake and gay.

they are called ford exploders for a reasons.
if you get one, you might as well junk the engine in it and replace it with a 302. they fit in the engine bay quite snuggley, get the wiring harness and the ecu, figure out the fuel system, and you'll have a semi reliable vehicle.

if its a choice between the explorer, grand cherokee, or the 4runner, get the 4runner, those things last forever, literally, the only things that wont would be the body. the engine and drivetrain are solid, because reliable driver > muh esthetics.