Hey Veeky Forums, how much should it take to replace the piston rings and gaskets on an 08 wrx pic related...

Hey Veeky Forums, how much should it take to replace the piston rings and gaskets on an 08 wrx pic related, i was quoted 1900 by the dealership. Should i get anothet kwote?

Replace pistons rings? Are you having blow by?

I've heard of people paying $1,200 for a head gasket replacement... but on V8's, so there's two heads.... twice the work.

No idea, but $1,900 doesn't sound too jacked up from a stealership

Agreed, $1900 sounds reasonable from a stealership.

My engine light was on and aparently ive been having misfires on all 4 ; and my plugs fouled. (Actually not sure if it was rings or seals (or if thrre is even a difference))

I took it in because i had a stack 3 high of those recall notices heh.

Bro, I work at a Subaru dealership. If you're getting misfires on cyl 4, and I'm not joking, your motor is fucked. You need a shortblock. That's what happens when you beat the fuck out of your car. We get a slew of turbo Subaru's in for this exact issue.

This also means you should NOT pay for head gaskets and rings. There is no point in paying some asshole 20 hours to strip your motor out and put some band-aids on it so it can blow up on you again in 5k miles. Figure the cost of a shortblock and go from there. With an 08, you should probably look to getting out of that car.

I appreciate the input. I just went to the shop and got some more input, mecanic seemed to think misfires had to do with leaking valves. Car has 140k miles on it; I don't really drive it that hard. What part of the block is fucked enough to need replacement, in your opinion ?

From what I understand, because of Subaru's edgy boxer design, even the most basic of engine maintenance pretty much requires the fucking removal of the entire engine so that price is probably somewhat warranted

Yeah they said theyd have to lift the engine 4in because the spark plugs end up right near the rails since its so wide

>Subaru
>140k miles
>motor's fucked
Be glad it lasted as long as it did.

user this is exactly why the evo or even rallyart was a better car

because work like this is made more difficult than usual due to a not truly necessary engine design

Allright so lets say i have to get a new car; what are you reccomending that will make me as happy as this one does? Im willing to spend 20-30, and i dont mind an older model. In fact im not really into any recent cars; e.g id rather have a 99 sti than a 2016

>
>Yeah they said theyd have to lift the engine 4in because the spark plugs end up right near the rails since its so wide
Not true

how about you actually do research on common problems with cars before you blindly say that you like X car

also i dont feel like looking for a car for you do your own work and research LURK MOAR

> (OP)
>From what I understand, because of Subaru's edgy boxer design, even the most basic of engine maintenance pretty much requires the fucking removal of the entire engine so that price is probably somewhat warranted
Not true. You can do a head gasket without removal of engine if you took 2 seconds to google..

boxter engine

My 08 WRX has 120k, what other problems if any have you had with yours? Mine had a broken catalytic converter, broken body clips, now im changing some stiff old hoses that arent letting the clamps get a good seal anymore.

I had a persistent misfire that would walk between all 4 cylinders and it ended up being a valve issue. You might be able to get away with just have some valve adjustments done. I'd get it compression tested before you and the mad scientist rip the block apart to replace the piston rings you fried.

Evo X

This man knows

No problems other than replacing four calipers and two rotors. Yesterday they redid something with the airbag and some sort of air pump due to those recalls, and sprayed the brake lines with a sealant.

They are actually 'overnighting the parts from japan' right now so i have until thursday to think about it

cheaper just to replace entire longblock than breaking down entire engine

02 WRX w/ 210K here... motor lasting 150k is pretty good, I'm on my second short block