/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Put those finishing touches on your demos.

> Next Demo Day 12 (SOON)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Play Dinosaur Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AnMR6SOBa9k
youtube.com/watch?v=x_RvSzStK9k
clyp.it/1megp1r2
youtube.com/watch?v=FaemvJjYrsM
youtube.com/watch?v=SlfGw0kiy7k
youtube.com/watch?v=96bAxXF1cOA
youtube.com/watch?v=2yrCXIaOyd8
youtube.com/watch?v=8h-g3unK56Y
youtube.com/watch?v=0WeaEDaB3-0
youtube.com/watch?v=b6Tdb9KTy-E
youtu.be/jU-r-aePWWo
youtube.com/watch?v=SViCdYr5qM4
youtube.com/watch?v=PFVyv14VMJg
youtube.com/watch?v=73-rWN2pQvo
youtube.com/watch?v=wqAiv5tIANc
youtube.com/watch?v=USrQWctiHzg
soundcloud.com/jasozz/zamn3d-battle-loop-1
youtube.com/watch?v=9SZfoItFL8k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fuck trig

2D math is easy my man, trig is simple. The real hard math is 3D, matrices and quaternions. Shit doesn't make sense.

third for enginedevs being fagets

You probably don't need to understand how they work to use them to accomplish what you want.

comfy jam ideas anyone?

>tfw engine dev

>finishing touches
more like fixing game-breaking bugs and half-assing unfinished art

but you need trig for quaternions
i wouldn't know though because i use unity which does everything for me

whoops i meant
:)

and gamemaker doesn't even have vectors

>most people "answering" the question by showing off their 1337 triangle math skills while assuming you know the wall you're going to use already

sord 2.0
make this a meme too

That's a good way to spend 3 hours on a basic function trying to figure something out. It's one thing to not need to memorize the method of finding something like sine, but knowing what various mathematical formulas do to quickly find angles or whatever you want is important, especially if you want to make anything that breaks the normal rules.

What? I meant matrices and quaternions. You don't need to understand complex numbers and how they're generalized to quaternions (and intuit based on this) to know that quaternions are rotations and can be combined with multiplication.

and here's a degenerate case when points are on either side, so do a check to make sure they are on same side. should be able to google that

If someone googles my name they won't see news articles about me being a shitbag. That's more than anyone can say for you.

I misread a bit. Yeah, you don't need to know all the details if you know how to actually use them. I would still consider it good practice to make sure you're familiar with what they all do and how they work so you can make exactly what you want without tons of guesswork and trying things until it's right.

you have to check every wall in the vicinity as there may be multiple solutions, there's no other way. but you don't have to cast 1000 rays.

Thank you, I got much more help from you and everyone else than I originally anticipated.

Indeed. I am much better off than what I started off with.

kek

These are so refreshing after the blank color. Not sure if I should keep them on at all times or if not, when.

it's distracting, i'd say keep the blank.

>mixels
meme aside, it looks bad and doesnt fit the game at all

It's too distracting, tone the brighter colour way down

this destroys your aesthetic

the effect is ok, but colors need to be toned down/more contrast so the main focus is the player and puzzle. currently it's easier to pay attention to the background

Okay, it's not staying permanently. I'll keep it for special events and/or AFK times.

>finishing touches
more like rushing to actually have a game

the iso checkers pattern was good but this is way too much. lower contrast too

I like this one, and the one you posted in the last thread quite a bit. I don't know what the other posters mean by distracting.
If that's actually a problem, you you could always fill the room spaces instead of letting the background be visible through them.

I hate quaternions man. I just use transformation matrices because my peanut brain can understand them. Gimbal lock is a bitch though.

Alright, couple questions about Unreal:

I've got a class for any sort of container in the game, chests or boxes or whatever. Holds instances of my Item base class. I've got it so I can set the mesh in the editor after I place it, but is there a way that I can fill it in the editor too? Like manually set what's gonna be in the array?

Also, can you not cast to a child class of Object in Blueprints? Im using them for HUD shit, and for some reason I can't get it to cast to the object. Do I have to convert Item from a child of Object to a child of Actor Component?

good for a drug trip sequence

Second part of the first cave looks shit now, but a lot of it still needs to be done. Here's how it is like for now.

Does anyone have any modeling tips about these kinds of stages? I'm trying to make it in a way so it looks good even if the textures maps are just effortless color squares. Also lots of copy pasting.

really distracting, if you make it context sensitive it may work though

is this 2.5d or actually a 3s stage?

How can I fix this bullshit?

make the slope hitbox inset

POST DEVVING MUSIC
youtu.be/AnMR6SOBa9k

Special slope standing/ascending/descending sprites or a slope gradient so subtle that you won't notice the hoverfoot.

3d, kinda what super mario 3d land is like but with more retro/primitive controls

you dont need to understand them in full. it's just an arbitrary axis and a rotation around it. the end.
multiply it and you rotate it by given quaternion. and you can linear interpolate between two without gimbal lock thanks to the 4th dimension.

Better to change the player collider.

Perhaps rotate your sprite to match the slope of the decline?

youtube.com/watch?v=x_RvSzStK9k

nice actual cave story clone

And then make sprites for standing on slopes if you want.

That would look retarded.

>is there a way that I can fill it in the editor too? Like manually set what's gonna be in the array?
Make the array editable (click the little box next to it in your list of variables)

You'll have to explain the second part again

How do I find an artist for my game?

clyp.it/1megp1r2

It depends on the slope. Obviously it would look silly if the slope were like >60 degrees

Just like do it

this is the real good shit you've never heard about

youtube.com/watch?v=FaemvJjYrsM

Even on a gentle slope someone standing like that would just fall down.

youtube.com/watch?v=SlfGw0kiy7k

also, where is your game?

Make something interesting that makes an artist want to work with you. Then never get any art from them because you're not paying them.

Not with my SUPER-GRIP 9000™ tennis shoes.

i lied, i'm actually playing overwatch right now

Create a professional looking, and well organized design document with a proof of concept. Artists want to be paid most of the time, but you have a higher chance of attracting one interested in doing it for free if your idea looks like it might actually come out.

>you're not paying them.
Thats what kickstarter is for! Right?

The wii version may be shit for intense game music, but it is great for everything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=96bAxXF1cOA
youtube.com/watch?v=2yrCXIaOyd8
youtube.com/watch?v=8h-g3unK56Y
youtube.com/watch?v=0WeaEDaB3-0
youtube.com/watch?v=b6Tdb9KTy-E

ask on /ic/ to see if anyone has some downtime and is interested :^)

>posting the fucking unpatched US Wii versions
holy shit nigger what the fuck are you doing
those are literally broken, the instruments and shit were glitched out on launch
youtu.be/jU-r-aePWWo
youtube.com/watch?v=SViCdYr5qM4
youtube.com/watch?v=PFVyv14VMJg
youtube.com/watch?v=73-rWN2pQvo
youtube.com/watch?v=wqAiv5tIANc

cavestory+ was a mistake
nicalis was a mistake

youtube.com/watch?v=USrQWctiHzg

CSWii predates CS+ and was broken in a shitload of other ways on launch
you are 100% right, though

Unfriendly reminder this is not your chatroom and nobody is listening to your fag ass music

Don't do this asking for free art on /ic/ will get you told to gtfo in the best case or banned on the worst case

jokes on you, i always listen to music other people post

>hate unity but love c#

But I'm a master of menus in unreal, loading levels and changing settings like its going out of style.

Suppose learning engine will take time, might as well work on some shitty libtcod roguelike alongside to keep c++ adequate.

Actually I've got a lot of good deving music from AGDG, thread police officer sir

I won't it was a improvement, but it sure was something beautiful in a extremely misunderstood way

lies. I sometimes go listen to some other anons music

>Make something interesting that makes an artist want to work with you.
This triggers me to no end.

>just do all the hard coding work and have a game in an already playable state
>only then you will be worth enough to get an artist attention
Fuck this mentality.

Still learning blender but I managed to make a tree. Took me almost 3 fucking days.
248 tris

tfw they initially took the shide around the boulder in the labyrinth and just redrew it as a squiggly line because they had no idea what they were looking at

I'm listening to all the music in this thread you butthead.

Wrapping up my dev day with a quick goofy loop for my demo

soundcloud.com/jasozz/zamn3d-battle-loop-1

:^)

>this nigga doesn't even know what a proof of concept is

>Artists don't work too
What else are they supposed to do?
>Your idea is so special important that they should bend the knee when you haven't even made anything yet yourself
Art assets without code to work it may as well be fanart for a nonexistent game.

Both parties need to participate but you're not going to get an artist to work with you if you haven't put some skin in the game yourself because they're putting their neck out for you as well.

>Fuck this mentality.
What mentality? Not wanting to work for somebody else but not get paid to do so, unless you really believe in them? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=9SZfoItFL8k

fuck your shitty spaghetti coded, poorly architectured, cookie cutter game

>not having artist friends who like you enough that they work with you for fun and are happy with just taking a cut of the dosh afterwards
>not having artist friends who will work on a game for nine years with you
never gonna make it

i like it.
however, the first thing that comes to my mind when listening to that is not shooting zombies, i don't think it fits super well. what actually does come to my mind when listening to it is battle music in a turn based jrpg.

that is just my opinion though, nothing personal

t. engie

Become your own artist, more work but less hassle in the end and you won't risk having someone ditch you because you're not paying.

I have one but I don't work with him because I must do everything myself

This is not what I expected when I read the title

>Both parties need to participate
Exactly.

Tell me where is your participation when I already have a full functional game. Why the fuck should I bother looking for an artist then? Even more considering the fact that you probably gave me stupid replies like or when I asked you to collaborate.

Either collaborate from the get go or fuck off.

What are you talking about user, both of these are EuWii version. Besides, some tracks do sound better on the US version for me.

Listen to Access in that extended version. It's definitely the US version.

Sorry user I don't shitpost to win an argument. The participation from the artist is making your game marketable to other people because unless you're going for minimalist aesthetic like Thomas Was Alone that's gonna be a hard sell if the game doesn't look appetizing.

Dude, you're a fucking moron. It's perfectly reasonable for an artist to not want to work with a programmer who hasn't proved themselves in exactly the same way it would be perfectly reasonable for a programmer to not want to work with an artist who had not yet proved themselves. If you think the only reasonable relationship between to people is for them to take it on faith that the other is capable of performing their duties, without any evidence beforehand, then you live in a reality totally isolated from actual existence.

coding my own game, because it's so much fucking easier than the 3 years i spent just to get my art up to scratch

I think this will make a great game

kek
pic looks awesome

Anyone know how to use JSONUtility in Unity? The manual doesn't explain shit and I haven't found any helpful tutorials.

An example would be nice. I'm trying to read strings from arrays in a single JSON file but Unity doesn't seem to like that.