New owner's guide

Holy shit Veeky Forums I got my first car. What is some mandatory reading about maintainancen and upkeep? Maybe some simpler customization to make it more "mine"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=klLSZooiirk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

get the haynes manual.

Go to the autozone aisle thay sells all the shifters and chrome trim stuff, and buy anything you think would look cool. (I recommend slip on racing pedals)

Read the owner's manual, there's a reason why it exists on the first place. Depending on the car, change the oil every 5-10 thousand kms. Research online for common problems for that particular car and pay attention to them.

As for customization, you better have a trustworthy shop if you want to do something worthwhile. Maybe some performance bolt-ons but that really depends on your car and the availability of such parts in the market. Perhaps new speakers and a new head unit?If you just want to go full VatoZone on it, GTFO, same with stupid "carbon fiber" stickers. And on the topic of stickers, you may wanna check for the /osg/ thread on this board: those autists make some really tite shit for your car.

>plastidip on wheel covers
>plastidip on grille
>plastidip on bumper
>plastidip on dick

RTFM

>Maybe some simpler customization to make it more "mine"?
Adjust the seat and mirrors to suit your driving positron. Steering wheel and pedals too if those are adjustable.

literally never start the car or press the gas pedal, it will wear the engine out. also don't open the doors, the hinges and latches will wear out. also don't let it sit on the tires because they will go bad. but don't leave the car on jackstands because the suspension will adjust weirdly.

basically take the whole thing apart and seal all of the parts in a hermetically sealed building after cleaning them.

>he doesn't plan out what he wants his car to look like and then acquire jdm parts to put on and run out of money half way through before buying another car with money he doesn't have

I'd start with wheels/tires then Intake headers exhaust then suspension.

Make sure the engine oil is filled all the way up to the top, but don't let it overflow out of the oil fill cap. Most people only fill their engine 1/4 of the way and thats why they don't last as long.

You need to keep the washer pump lubricated as well. Add about 3 tablespoons of oil to the washer fluid reservoir at each oil change.

First plasti-dick the wheels black, then report back

And that's why you don't rest your hand on the gearshift and always make sure to use steering wheel covers along with dash mats.

>Maybe some simpler customization to make it more "mine"?
What car

TELL US WHAT CAR YA DINGUS

Cars are expensive. So RTFM. Read The Fucking Manual. Routine maintenance, even when using the best stuff, is not expensive.

Make sure you only use full synthetic oil. Pennzoil Platinum and Mobile 1 are my go-to, but others are okay as well. Royal Purple or Amsoil come to mind.

Quality filters are arguably even more important than oil. Mann, Mahle, and Wix XP are the best, and they aren't expensive at all. AVOID FRAM. FRAM IS SHIT. I'm not fucking around, if it's Fram, don't let it anywhere near your car.

Air filters, use good old fashioned paper. K&N is a meme at best. Same Mahle, Mann or Wix, but Purolator is also good.

If the car has an automatic, follow the mfg's oil change interval very closely. Honda's need a change every 30k, most people don't know that, that's why people say Honda's have "shit" trannies. It's shit because you didn't follow the fucking directions, dumbass. Also, Jap cars tend to use very specific ATF that is only available from the dealership. Again, RTFM.

An 08" dodge avenger SE

>Dodge

You know there's a reason they went bankrupt. Twice.

>08 Dodge Avenger

Ohhhh noooo...

I hope you live outside of the rust belt, dude.

>08" dodge avenger
you were conceived in the back of a shortbus
youtube.com/watch?v=klLSZooiirk

How much did you pay for it?

Haynes service manual
Check all your fluids twice a month and top off as necessary. Haynes will tell you how to check everything, like to check the coolant hot or cold, what brands and types of fluid, etc
Rain x is great.
Rotate and Balance your tires as needed, which means whenever they get a little shake in them
Run some good fuel system cleaner through it every 50k or so.
Change the oil on time, especially if you don't use full synthetic
Keep it clean. Not showroom quality detailed 24/7, but all the grime sprayed off. Especially salt, keep that shit washed off
Keep the interior free of trash.
Let your car idle for a minute or two before driving and avoid high rpms until engine temperature has reached proper operating range
Replace shit as is breaks, don't wait until you have a laundry list of stuff to fix
All this will help your car to keep looking and driving happy and healthy, and it says a lot about having the car the way you want it, which is in good driving condition.
Doesn't matter if you have all the mods in the world, a car that isn't well taken care of will look like shit.
Don't look too much into mods off the bat. If your brakes need new pads, replace with better quality. Better tires make a difference from a driving perspective. Replace things with better quality gradually and find what you like over time.

On an avenger, suspension and bushings would be an OK place to start. Don't go for stance faggotry.

Allow me to clarify. This car was a gift. I paid nothing for it.

Keep the avenger as a reliable and free DD while you save up a few thousand to buy a toy/project. I wouldn't do more to the avenger than maybe new headlights for looks and better vision at night or an intake for better gas mileage. Both easy mods you can do yourself with hand tools and YouTube. The last thing you want to do is throw all your money into a car that won't win any races or turn any heads.

listen to
Keep it cheap br/o/ and reliable. Perfect time to get something cool to play with on the side.