Rally Thread

How does one get into rally racing?
Posting from the U.S. Euroturds seem to have it better for rallying. Also, what car does Veeky Forums recommend for a starter rally car?

Other urls found in this thread:

nasarallysport.com/main/Rally-University
youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1iXtvvZJM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

use google to find events in your local areas

>Euroturds seem to have it better for rallying
Not at all.

>Also, what car does Veeky Forums recommend for a starter rally car?
Toyota starlet, ae92 corolla, peugeot 205gti, suzuki swift gti, mistubishi mirage, hyundai excel... basically any 80s/90s light weight fwd shitbox with easily available spare parts

would you know how much it would cost to modify? Roll cage, seats/seat belts, all the shit you would need to compete in a rally america event. What i would love to do is the pure rally stages, but to compete on an actual course requires a whole lot of shit it seems, is this true?

where are you in the US?

>>Euroturds seem to have it better for rallying
>Not at all.
we do. Rally is insanely popular and everyone has done it at one point. There's special classes for regular street cars even.

>would you know how much it would cost to modify?
if you are asking you don't have enough money to rally.

Go to the SCCA website they have loads of info there

Minnesota. The state isn't lacking in roads and utility trails, there just isn't any group or something due to rallying not being overly popular. There is just no organization.

there's a rally school in Washington - DirtFish. if you are serious about doing rally, i'd encourage dropping some serious dough on a multi-day class there. they are really plugged into the racing community.

i did a half-day class there - rally driving is extremely different from normal track driving, and i am fucking terrible at it. it's a lot of fun, though.

there's the ojibwe rally in minnesota in august, too. either go as a spectator or volunteer.

there's only a handful of rally events in the US/canada, so you're going to need to travel to get to them.

>if you are asking you don't have enough money to rally.
This is the stupid as fuck. I don't have a single doubt that I make more in a month than you do in a year, but I don't know the first fucking thing about rallying.
How the shit should I know how much an entry car with the necessary modifications would cost?

Find the rulebooks on your local SCCA Rally's website. From there, if you've got a car already, estimate the price by googling the required parts.
>I don't have a single doubt that I make more in a month than you do in a year
Sure, pal.

nasarallysport.com/main/Rally-University

Everything you need to know.

Buy a prebuilt car for $5-15k. Spend $2k a weekend on entry fees, gas, hotel, towing, etc.

If you want to be competitive in any series you're going to have to go to 4+ events /year meaning with spare parts on a shit car its $10k+ a year.

Source: Pic related = me.

>swift gti
dont fucking ruin anymore of them they are impossible to find as is

What does it take to make a rally car from a street car? Pic very related

From my guess, it takes
>gutting the interior
>beefy suspension
>knobby tires with better rims
>short gearbox with better clutch
>torque-rich turbo engine
>improved aero work and body panels

pic also related

tuned for top end or low-bit torque? i imagine with the loose surfaces and shit youll mostly be at the top end of the rev range

You don't usually go that fast in rally (seeing as even WRC cars rarely get above 60 mph), so I assume it's geared for low-end torque and acceleration. Also with the right rubber traction is less of an issue

>Rally is insanely popular and everyone has done it at one point.
Maybe in fucking Scandinavia where there's actual space for rallying, but in western Europe it's almost impossible to do it without annoying nearby settlements or having to close public roads, which is why it's reserved for semiprofessional and professional events.

Just find a bog standard Volvo 244

>Euroturds seem to have it better for rallying
I wish, at least here in germany we have only one rally that is for amateurs and even on that your car needs to meet a long list of requirements. I always thought anything motorsports is way easier in the US
>watched "how to start rally" videos on youtube
>lots of rally schools
>some guys racing in nearly stock cars on fields or in a farmers backyard
>starting costs them next to nothing
I guess it's just like in the Europe and depends on the state you're in

Buy a Mk1 Focus to start with.

Tell me about licensing and shit how does that work?

You will likely be in the high end of the rev range alot so best to keep it about 1-2000 rpm before redline if possible. That being said you dont want to sacrifice low end torque either. The ultimate idea is to buikd the car around your driving style

Join your local motor club or the SCCA or whatever Motorsport organisation you have where you live and see what they do.

There are all kinds of amateur events available, from stock-car-only timed courses held on public roads to legit rally stages for modified cars.

I suggest you pick a discipline you like and look at the entry list from previous events to see which cars are the most used, use that to decide your weapon of choice.

A car doesn't only have to be fast, it also needs to be reliable and spare parts should be easily obtainable. You may want to settle for a less performing car that is more reliable and has plenty of aftermarket, it could make the difference between being able to finish a rally and retiring after the first stage because you broke a part and can't find a replacement, or having to skip an event because your car is sitting in a garage, waiting for an essential part that has been shipped from the other side of the world because it can't be found where you live.
The most popular cars are popular because they can successfully balance performance, reliability and part sourcing.

Once you chose a discipline, you have to pick the right rulebook and see the mods required for cars to compete (if any) and if you can upgrade its performance.

Unless you are incredibly rich, you have to understand you will never move out of the amateur weekend warrior events. Those are still incredibly fun, but if you expect to go into legit rally championships fighting against real rally teams, you better start saving up hundreds of thousands of $$, because that's the order of magnitude we are talking about when we consider purpose-built rally cars.

Find out what rally you want to compete in first, and read (and understand) the rulebook.
Not knowing the restrictions of whatever you will compete in makes most of the advice here useless.

If you aren't Buntas dad, then starting with some grassroots stuff like might not be a bad idea. Also, you WILL crash sooner or later, so make sure you can afford loosing the car.

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down!

youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1iXtvvZJM

*Pic unrelated but it had to be posted*

Stickers is all you need

For choosing a car, it's better to have something reliable and easy to work on that something fast. Use a popular 80s or 90s car that's easy to find parts for

For sweden, heave have s shitload of old volvos, and with a bit of attitude and some lightening they make decent rally cars

Start with rallycross and volunteering at rallys and/or rallysprints. Rallycross is 90% of the fun at 2% of the cost, and the techniques you learn translate directly to stage--albeit at higher speeds. By working at events, you get a chance to network with organizers, competitors, and crew members while getting an understanding of how the events are run.

Once you've got sufficient confidence in your driving abilities, technical abilities for maintaining and repairing the car, and an understanding of what you're getting into, you go out to any of the classifieds pages and buy the whatever logbooked G2 or G5 FWD car there is with the most spare parts and within your budget. These can typically be had for $5-10k, completely ready to go to an event. You do not want to build your first rally car unless you've got the connections necessary to get a car prepped right the first time and within some sort of budget. If you don't do this, you can expect to pay more than double just prepping a car of your choice.

pic related popped up for sale this morning for $8,000, just as an example.

I'm pretty well connected in the stage rally community if you have any questions.

Dirfish is meme-tier. They shove you into an open-class STI or BRZ and teach you how to do powerslides on flat, open areas. They don't even offer teaching FWD despite it being the ideal learning tool for rally, on top of being far faster than RWD. It's more catered towards people who want an experience than to actually prep for the sport. If you want to actually learn rally, you go to Team O'Neil. If you want ass-backwards teaching, you go to The Firm--where they'll teach you that left foot braking is wrong and that you should just pull the handbrake every 5 seconds.

not really. all you need is the safety equipment like a certified roll cage and fire extinguisher

>Start with rallycross
rallycross is not rally though

I think what the tripfag is trying to say is that you start in rally cross to get your bearing and then move up m8.

Did you open the link? In NASA you pay $65 for a yearly license. No driver school, no coefficients, no limits on what you can drive from the very start. Rally America I think costs a bit more and you can't start in a AWD turbo car to start. You have to build up coefficients either through rally's or schools to run open class awd. I haven't looked at the ARA rules as I'm in a region that neither they nor RA have any events in so you'd have to do some research on that.

have you done any snow tracks

>How does one get into rally racing?
Lots and lots of money

entire northern europe is rally only in terms of motorsport.

there's rally classes for street legal cars in Estonia.
Night Wave has members in estonia and euro night wave is rally division

Stage Rally? No.
Rallycross? Yes.

I did what the guys above me recommend. Start with a shit car in rallyx and see how you like it first. Get used to sliding the car then decide if you want to jump to the full stage level and empty all your bank accounts. I had a crappy 2.5rs in michigan that was rusted out but i gave no fucks and had a blast beating the shit out of it. Moved out west and got a wrx to be more serious in rallyx, but then jumped up to stage with another 2.5rs because turbo cars just make everything more expensive.

still a different sport
it's like saying 'to jump, first you need to start swimming'

I live in NZ. I have heard its really expensive but Ill do some research. Youre probably not the right person to ask (being from burgerland and all) but thanks for the idea lmao

In Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia you can rally to your hearts content. In Poland you can start without license with basic safety regulations.
Also in Yurop you can grab Fiat Seicento for 300$, mod suspension for 250$, new engine 200$, rollcage 900$, seats and wheel 250$ and you're set until you trash it (which is inevitable).