Drifting

/pol/ here. How is this car as far as learning how to drift is concerned? I've been racing crazy bitches on the road since I learned how to drive, but I've never actually attempted drifting, let alone high-speed drifting.

Also, hi. I had no idea we had an auto board until this year, and I've been browsing this site for a decade.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EphjLzP0OT0
youtube.com/watch?v=zc01GFE-PFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pigfat = hard to control drifts.

It's doable but gl hf

I own this car. Pic related. It drifts pretty easily at lower speeds. Responds well to countersteer. Never tried higher speeds though!

What you need for that to be an okay drift car

>stiffer springs
>modified knuckles for mad steering angle
>gut the car, shed as much weight as you can
>if it's a V6 throw it in the trash
>a manual transmission
>a good clutch to kick the shit out of
>driver mod

Or you can do none of the above and just go throw the thing sideways and hope for the best

>mustang
>drifts

Maybe little tail slides at low speeds in a huge open area with no traffic/humans.
Watch out for crowds.

Nice meme but mustangs are really underrated for starter drift cars

>cheap as fuck
>v8
>rwd
>manuel
>parts are plentiful and cheap
Really all you need is a cheap GT, and spend some cash on suspension

Look at Vaughn Gittin Jr's missile/practice car

youtu.be/EphjLzP0OT0

as long as you have people on the sidelines watching you can drift into them no problem.

get a much older Mustang to learn how to drift. You WILL crash, and it's better to constantly repair something you don't care about versus you pride and joy daily driver.

Any advice for a guy whose knowledge of drifting literally extends as far as "I watched Initial D: First Stage once"?

Mine is not a GT, unfortunately.

Those sound like some decent ideas, and I have been thinking about upgrading my V6, thanks.

Given the weight of the front, I would not be surprised if a bad driver could turn this car into a wrecking ball.

Seeing as it's an automatic, can I still drift using only the brakes?

Perhaps if the inauguration doesn't go as planned, but otherwise I will be exclusively trying not to drift into anything.

kys buy a light cheap manuel rwd car and weld the diff, coilovers, modded steering knuckles.

Automatic pigfat v6 cant drift

>Auto V6
Sell it and buy something light, RWD, and manual if you want to learn how to drift

Toyota 86 is "the" drift car atm. Its a 4banger

I wouldn't ever buy one of those weak shits

I'd rather a foxbody or turd gen than one of those

>I would not be surprised if a bad driver could turn this car into a wrecking ball.
They frequently do.

Welded diff, handbrake, rwd, manual. HP doesn't matter as long as the car isn't as heavy
Now you are ready to GAS GAS GAS
So is a Volvo

haha even a sohc i4 foxbody?

Sure, because at least with that I can bolt a 302 in it

>handbrake
Slightly off topic but I've noticed something and I'm curious

Why do Americans use the handbrake so much when drifting? I see them initiate with it especially.

I don't get it, when you can just flick the car

Sharp turns, and breaking traction to the rear end but mostly noobs will do it before they get used to throttle control and weight transitions for breaking traction and enabling a drift also instead of using the ebrake you could do a clutch kick.
I thought merifats liked to powerslide instead of yanking the ebrake?

No I get all that, I guess I'm specifically talking about relying on it to initiate. Americans do love big power slides, which is why it's confusing when I see them grab the handbrake going into a large sweeper and then immediately jump full on in 3rd gear or so.

Are there kits that convert to manual?

Just out of curiosity, how fast does a car have to be going to qualify as "drifting?" Is it drifting if I power-slide out of a sharp exit at 60 mph? I do not think I fully understand the distinction between drifting and power-sliding.

Incidentally, I have never used the emergency brake in my entire life.

>/pol/ here
leave now you degenerate

Forgot to refresh or I would've included your posts in .

Drifting (technically) is controlling a car that is sliding, so from the initiation, to where it becomes power sliding once you're on the throttle.

So say you're coming at a turn, and you throw the car sideways. You trying to keep that car on the path you're going is drifting. Then once you feel you're good and you're on the throttle to get out of that turn, you're power sliding

>jump full on in 3rd gear or so.

Downshift or upshift? Usually in a long turn if you feel like the car is gripping up and wanting to straighten up you would want to brake some traction so the car doesn't straighten out in between the drift.
If you watch some of the in car footage from from D1 or Formula D you'd notice the drivers will sometimes yank the e brake while drifting a long turn. Clutch kicking is really meant for underpowered cars and in a high powered competition car you wouldn't want to burn your clutch quick.

You can do drifts at a slow speed like 20mph, all you can do is a weight transfer to oversteer the car, if I can do it in my shitbox you can. at a higher speed a powerslide would be easier. Speed doesn't matter. If you're sliding around a corner you are drifting.
Just watch drift vids to get an idea. youtube.com/watch?v=zc01GFE-PFM

I get that too. And when they're on the brake they're kicking the clutch every single time to get the wheels spinning again. Competition cars want the wheel speed up as high as possible to get the most smoke to score higher.

More specific then.

>driving straight, middle 3rd gear
>long right sweeper coming up, no reduction (think oval track)
What I do
>swing out a little left and flick initiate
What I see Americans do
>straight on and grab handful of brake to initiate

Why is this?

Skyline BLVD? I fucked my GF in high school up there

I'm trying to envision how these would look relative to each other in my head, but I'm having some difficulty. Explain it to me as if I were retarded.

Is this actually a faster way for people to clear corners? On the surface, it looks almost like how I clear many exits off i-86, but they are massively oversteering on purpose and losing a lot of speed on the recovery.

Is it a GT or a V6? Looking at the front grille looks kinda like a V6.

If its a manual, then with enough skill yes. Going to need an LSD. The GT comes with an LSD and all that torque so it makes it easier to drift. However a solid axle is never the best thing to drift with. The entire axle is unsprung weight and likes to throw the car out even more when you try to start your drift, and when you try to exit the drift all that weight will be thrown in the other direction.

Dude with a v6 autotragic mustang wants to know of he can drift "just with the brakes"

You don't even know how little of a clue you have. There's a teensy chance your intuition and instincs won't destroy your car, but there's a large chance your response to something with no muscle memory to rely on will wreck your shit.

Honest to god cheapest way for you to learn anything about the edge of traction would be to go on a road trip. Head north till you find snow or a frozen lake. Experiment on a frozen lake for a while then proceed accordingly.

It's clear by the fact you drive an auto v6 stang, have been here since dancing baby was on /b/ , and had no idea Veeky Forums existed you are not a car guy at all.

Go where there's no penalty for failure,
No offense. But you're gonna wreck your shit.

>drifting
Approaching a corner at 60mph, you flick the car sideways. You're using the handbrake, steering wheel, and foot brake to control the car sideways while reducing speed.

And then

>power sliding
You're at the apex of the corner. You pin the throttle and accelerate while sideways out of the corner

>swing out away from turn then flick into it
If your car is weak powered sure and also adds more style which drifting really is a spectator motorsport, people love style
>straight on and grab handful of brake to initiate
Still drifting but doesn't look as maaaaad as above, people will think you're either a lazycunt or a shitcunt
>Is this actually a faster way for people to clear corners?
In rally, mostly for clearing hairpin turns, for long turns like a highway exit? hahaha you'll be going the same speed as you would gripping the turn but you are just shredding tires for giggles pretty much

I have a 2008 V6 auto, it understeers like a bitch

That one isn't my car, but my horse is the same color, is a V6, and not a manual.

There seem to be quite a few technical problems with trying to drift, per se, in a car like this. Should I just stick a "Night Kid" vanity plate on my car and continue powering through corners as usual, or is there a genuine speed advantage to drifting that would make it worth my time and effort to invest in?

Very nice try, but I am not going to bring something as heavy as my freaking Ford Mustang out onto a frozen lake and plummet through the ice like an imbecile. I will stick to large parking lots.

Thank you for clarifying. Power-sliding seems more like my kind of game, at least with this kind of car. I couldn't even imagine starting my turn so early in this front-heavy fatty, unless there were rain on the ground. I would have very little control of the car unless I were trying to completely whip it around, which I sometimes do if I need to about-face on an uncrowded road.

I do not think I would ever take this car out in the snow if I had the option not to, and thank you for the clarity! As for exits, many of them are long, but in my part of PA at least there are also many sharp ones.

Go on.

Snow drifting is the best time to learn plus you do not wear tires down as much

In retrospect, there may be one time that I actually have drifted purposefully, as opposed to power-sliding, but that trip was so nightmarishly horrifying I basically tried to push it out of my head. Basically, I was on my way to WV from PA and passing through these mountains in MD, when suddenly snow and ridiculously high winds everywhere, and I had no snow tires. Needless to say, if I hadn't been drifting, I would've been blown completely off the road and down a cliff.

I do not count that time because it was completely random, and I would really prefer to try it in a more controlled setting next time.

>v6 automatic mustang
Kill you are self OP

>FRS is weak
>Wants pieces of shit that produce the same power while weighing twice as much
Get the fuck off Veeky Forums with your bitch mobile. Your model of shitstain is best suited for teenage girls as a first car, not any type of spirited driving.

>GTFR86SZ cuck triggered
Why the fuck would I go out and spend 15 to 20 thousand dollars on a car that barely makes 170hp just to slide it and fuck it up?

Or I could go find any Fox/3rd gen for 1500-2500 and spend the remaining money on engine, suspension, safety, etc. and not give a fuck about beaten in body panels?

Get the fuck out of here, faggot.

> I had no idea we had an auto board until this year, and I've been browsing this site for a decade
I curse the day I learned about Veeky Forums

>all these butt hurt jap crap lovers itt
Let me tell you what Ken Block is the best drift car racer ever and he started with a Mustang and Ford even had him make a new Mustang with Monster Energy after he left Falken Energy. This car is just like op's car except it has a roll cage in it because the car has a lot of body roll when drifting so it keeps the car from rolling over. Do that and then get one of those long shift levers that puts the car in park so the car starts to slide and then puts it back to drive really quick.

>Ken Block is the best drift car racer ever

I.... what?

>Being this assblasted
>Being so stupid he wants to drift noodle chassis 3800lb 180hp v8 shit heaps
>Thinks he can drift an automatic v6 mustang
Kys

>didn't read literally any of the second half of my post
>implying I would ever drive a V6 shitstang, much less try to drift it

Why are Toyobaru cucks so stupid?

why did you feel the need to tell us you were from /pol/?

>I.... what?
Obviously can't drift pussy lmao

11/10

lmao looks like a poser

OP here again, is this guy full or shit? I know nothing about cars and this sounds like it could be true but I doubt it.

You aren't really going to be drifting in an automatic v6. Sure you can slide it around but someday you'll lose a tire when the car hooks back up and you'll end up backwards in a ditch, if you're lucky anyhow.

Everything he said is 100% serious business