Manual Hondas without RPM counters

whose idea was it to have a manual car without an RPM counter?

People who can shift by ear

learn to drive amerilard

Ausfag here, I didn't own a car with a tacho until my I was 21. It taught me to drive by ear and feel. That way when I got one I didn't really need it and I could focus on the road more.

Wait, do you actually look at the RPMs?

Everyone does this. It's just nice to know what your car is doing.

All stock naturally aspirated engines get a 'growl' between 3000-3300 RPM.
Makes it easy to learn by ear.

My favourite type of car is a BMW they have high RPMS all the time.

all of my trucks were sticks without tachometers

I miss my '94 b22 and not knowing when my trans was gonna explode haha

well your talking about exhaust not engine open headers growl at 500 scream at 2k and are deafaning at 5

Who's such a giant vagina that he can't shift by ear?

And they burn valve at every RPM

Those old cars are so noisy inside that you don't need the tachometer

Meanwhile, buy a civic/corolla from the last decade even and everything under 3-4k RPM is inaudible so you need either the tach for well learned timing to short shift. You can, however, hear the wind and tire noise in high fidelity.

>upshifting by ear

is there even a way to do this besides trial and error or massive clutch slip? revs drop faster when cold, etc.

not hard if you're driving in traffic

I shifted by ear first 3 days I had my car, now I just shift automatically without even thinking about it. You just feel on the throttle when you have to change gear or you can look at speedo and remember which gear belongs where.
My Peugeot is like
1st 0-20(kmph)
2nd 10-40
3rd 30-70
4th 50-110
5th 90+

Since the tachometer failed on my motorcycle, I shift by ear and assume speed based on hearing the rpm.
It ain´t even hard and I don´t even have a rev. limiter.

>look at speedo and remember which gear belongs where

I have the exact opposite problem. speedo cable is sticky, makes speedo swing wildly from 55 to peg at highway speeds. Have to use tach to determine speed (I printed out a chart using gear ratios and tire size to tell me speed as a function of engine speed and gear)

I always though tachs were just to look at...

I can't say I've ever changed gear based off what a tach says, you should be able to hear/feel it

Would be harder in modern cars because sound deadening

>that massive fuel gauge

i have the original manual for my 97 honda Civic and it literally tells you what the shift points are for the fuel economy estimates lol

Apart from optimizing for fuel or racing, why would you need one?
It's easy as shit to tell when you should shift by gear within a couple of hours of driving a new car.
If it sounds rough or you lose more power than you should, rev higher next time.
Generally most people don't read the manual and have no idea where the powerband is anyway, and just shift off ear/power anyway.
Unless the driver is coming from riding a motorbike in povertyland, they know what a typical (1.6-2.2 displacement, 4cyl) car sounds like, and know when shifts should be happening.

Worked fine on their bikes. I learned on one without a rev counter, which was alarming. And that was a 2009 model, IIRC.

>inaudible
Confirmed for automatic wheel-holder. You can feel what the engine's doing through your feet and the gearstick. Even with the stereo cranked and the floorpan vibrating with the bass, you can still distinguish 'change gear now' from 'double bass pedal'.

i used to have a 86 tercel wagon with 2000rms system, got a tach after i noticed i was cruising in second gear down a gravel road, couldnt feel or hear shit

My Ranger doesnt have a tacho, ive never felt like i needed one. Id be lying if i said i didnt want one though, just because seeing a needle jump around pleases me.

Ford Taurus?

Tachometer is not a hard word to learn.

Stop driving american cars, then. They're universally shit.

>tercel
>american car

smoke another one

>Tercel
>American