Would you buy an electric car?

Would you buy an electric car?

Other urls found in this thread:

cleantechnica.com/2015/09/27/some-non-tesla-evs-may-finally-get-tesla-supercharger-access/
wsj.com/articles/tech-world-vexed-by-slow-progress-on-batteries-1412552377
ecomento.com/2015/07/29/electric-car-battery-progress-slower-then-expected/
eetimes.com/author.asp?doc_id=1324428
inhabitat.com/tesla-launches-battery-swap-program-that-only-needs-3-minutes-for-a-full-charge/
machinedesign.com/automotive/could-battery-swapping-ease-range-anxiety-ev-owners
abcnews.go.com/Business/place-live-battery-switch-stations/story?id=13742428
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, once the batteries aren't shit.

Maybe if they were cheap and the range didn't suck dick. If I had $140k floating around I'd built a electric car. I don't want the yuppie George Jetson ass look, I like my cars rough around the edges.

I'm afraid you might be in for a long wait.

of course.
They're cool and fast. Plus why go to a special place to refuel when you can do it at home with a charging cord. Electric cars aren't for everyone but for what people use them for, it fits the needs of 90% of the population.
And the advent of fast charging gives you an 80% charge in 30 minutes. And with Tesla's superchargers, you can travel the US without much worry. Granted the Superchargers are only for Teslas currently, but Tesla is talking with other car makers to expand it to other makes and models.

I have a plug in hybrid right now and I would get an electric if I could but I wanna drive this car until it can't be driven no longer. Electric cars have a huge potential to take out literal car companies (FCA *fingers crossed*) isn't it crazy they haven't made even a hybrid? But I hope electrics become the norm

go ahead and lot 70% off that number for gas and diesel because lol ice efficiency

I did.

Only faggot liberals are stupid enough to buy that shit.

Thats why they throw all the bright colors and snowflake designs on them.

The best part is some faggot who is driving his NISSAN Leaf is going to come in here and be like NU-UH MUH TAX CREDITS.

Those cars are for stupid liberals who buy apple. IF you don't believe me go look at the little asterisk on all the websites:

The e-Golf will be available only at participating dealers in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington D.C.

No. Hybrids are better in my opinion. Plus they lose range in hot/cold weather, are extremely expensive (even with my taxes going into them), and you have to replace the batteries in them after they start losing capacity, which is also very expensive.

This.

>They're cool and fast.
Some are cool. But none are all that "fast" They're quick to 60 mph, but get fucked to/past 100 mph. But that's not always applicable on the road.
>Plus why go to a special place to refuel when you can do it at home with a charging cord.
Because A: it takes fucking forever and B: it costs a lot to install a fast-charger.
>And with Tesla's superchargers, you can travel the US without much worry.
And have to stop much more often on long trips.
>Tesla is talking with other car makers to expand it to other makes and models.
They are? I hadn't heard that. I imagine they could make some money off of it.

They're developing motors that are extremely more efficient. There's tons of ICE technology being tested, and pair that with a hybrid system and you have an insanely efficient car that still uses ICE. One of the interesting things that they're developing is a system called "VTO" which uses the heat from the exhaust to generate electricity to provide even more efficiency. The best days of the ICE are still ahead of it.

Gm could make a GM exclusive charging and probably install it at every gas station in america. And they could leave Tesla excluded and do much better. Its no suprise they are begging GM to let them in.

No I'm not a cuck

>They are? I hadn't heard that. I imagine they could make some money off of it.
cleantechnica.com/2015/09/27/some-non-tesla-evs-may-finally-get-tesla-supercharger-access/

>The e-Golf will be available only at participating dealers in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington D.C.

I thought you were just exaggerating until that...holy fuck KEK

I'm holding out until someone develops a fuel cell that runs on regular gas. That way no one has to make new infrastructure, my car can still (partially) recharge itself with regenerative breaking/shocks, the car has much better range, and it can still compete against smug tesla owners for acceleration.

nope. im not a hipster. nor a faggot.

the range and and charge time and lower puchase prices will have to come up before id even consider it.. but the battery tech isnt there yet.
realistically a electric car is a round town car no more, no less. because it has to keep plugging in to keep the battery charged like a crack-head. the tesla needs more range with shorter charge times. plus the 100,000k base doesnt help.

Would an electric car be a better option for racing?

no

>designs are """futuristic""" shit
>no sound
>no manual

>mfw a Ham and Cheese sandwich has 20x more energy density than a Li-ion.

how many toyota priuses have you seen winning races not counting on your xbox?

I'm just wondering, shithead. Don't electric engines produce more torque than ICE?

No fucking chance.
Plugging a car into my house would require trailing a cable across the pavement which makes it illegal to charge it.
Have fun hippies.

>can't afford a garage

Pick a spot to build it on.
Lots of the UK looks like this even the bits in color.

The infrastructure in Norway, where i live, is non-existent outside of major cities, and there are NO fast-chargers.
Gas-guzzling monsters ftw

it's an interesting idea, they don't have it right yet, i hope they figure it out, etc.

The hybrid dynamo/turbo unit? Seems awesome and great for anti lag as well

Better acceleration but shit past 60.

Yeah. They Ford is also planning a hybrid Mustang, and I doubt it'll be a slouch if they hope on convincing people to buy it. They may actually use a similar system.

Then again, that's just theorizing. They may want to keep it a bit more like the 918's system...just not as expensive.

it's kind of pointless though, battery technology is advancing slowly all the time and its a cumulative effect, in 20 years we're looking at stupidly huge battery capacity for shit cheap price

Sure, when they get both cheap and good I'd have no problem getting an EV DD. Right now they're not that. An all-electric LS would be comfy af.

If the electricity can be stored on weightless batteries maybe. I guess t they would also have to make a transmission if they want to go pass 100 mph but top speed is useless on a street car anyway.

>Would you buy an electric car?
There has to be "gas stations" for it. I refuse to drive anywhere and then be stranded for lack of a recharge. If all gas stations started to equip a standard charger console along with the Tesla Battery PowerPack and Solar Power Station, then that would go a long ways towards making electric cars usable.

Right now, electric cars lack "freedom". People can't simply jump into their car and decide to drive as far as they want with the security of knowing there is "fuel" for their car at any "gas station".

I like the prius V because wagon. I wont buy shit until the batteries are not garbage

I would really rather not

>Would you buy an electric car?

Once the tech matures enough so that "jump start" tools become available. For a car that runs out of power and is stranded, another electric car can come by and share part of their electric charge to the stranded car. This would be done through a portable conversion tool and cable.

This plugs into the same charging port, but the car and device talk to each other and know that it is a car-to-car sharing cable. The direction of sharing is entered and the amount of charge is entered. The estimated time to perform the charge transfer is then listed.

It isn't pointless. Batteries are advancing slowly while the ICE is advancing much quicker. We have no idea what batteries in 20 years will be like, yet we do have a fairly good idea what ICE cars will be like (likely "electrified" through hybrid systems, but I'm referring to the engines themselves). I recently read a couple articles about how slow battery tech is progressing in relation to other technologies:
wsj.com/articles/tech-world-vexed-by-slow-progress-on-batteries-1412552377
ecomento.com/2015/07/29/electric-car-battery-progress-slower-then-expected/
eetimes.com/author.asp?doc_id=1324428

no but an electric motorcycle is fine. my wallet is ready

only if they become super cheap or this

there's a fundamental efficiency ceiling on ice, there is one on electric motors too but its like 90%

electrification is mostly just sort of filling for ICE's efficiency losses and there isnt much more to be done with that that hasn't already been. at some point you're just making an ev with a gas generator

No, but I would buy an electric conversion kit for my miats eventually

I would majority of my miles are highway miles which kills the electric car.

Yeah, for like 20 bucks

at some point you're just making an ev with a gas generator

So literally a Volt? My parents own one, it was a decent DD. The problem with electrics is that people praise them for being efficient, while at the same time posting 1/4 mile times and chuckling to themselves about how great the acceleration is.

Yeah, you could put the Volt in "sport" and be a stoplight hero, (At least against those hilarious I4 camaros) but it RAPES the battery. Like, fucking annihilates it. You burn "10 miles" worth of charge in that 1/4 mile stretch. Which, of course, it doesn't actually tell you, because the remaining battery is based on a consumption average not actual math and distance and shit. So it says you still have 25 miles left but that generator is going to kick in 15 miles later.

Good mileage on gas though, interior was decent, computer touch screen bullshit was an absolute abomination. Luckily, you can get one in top tier condition for like 15k now, so if you want to own a car with an all electric drivetrain and don't want to spend a gorillion dollars on it that's pretty much your only option.

Plugin hybrids like a Chevy Volt or Prius Prime, perhaps.

But pure electric charge times are too long for me. And there just aren't enough charge stations yet.

Doesn't the Egolf only go like 8 miles on a full charge? Why do they even bother?

lol, I beat the American Muscle circuit in GT6 with a Tesla. Dat acceleration

I'm an apartmentfag. I'd consider it if I could talk my landlord into installing a charging port for my parking space, but this is unlikely.

>(FCA *fingers crossed*) isn't it crazy they haven't made even a hybrid?
Pacifica hybrid. And the Fiat 500e has been out for years.

But I will join you in hoping that FCA eats shit.

Step aside fags.
The true based compact has arrived.

you mean the thing that's only been getting better?

I mean in terms of extracting as much energy as possible, not just gas mileage. Using more fuel in a process that uses it more thoroughly counts.

>but hurr we peaked this is the best it gets dinosaur tech durr i know nothing

So i have an idea on electric cars that i think would solve a lot of problems, it would require standardised batteries so i doubt it'll hold much water in reality, but it's the only method of making them viable in the near future that i can think of.
Instead of parking at a charge station when the battery runs out and waiting upwards of 6 hours before being able to make it to the next charge point, why not make the batteries removable.
This would allow charge stations to work the batteries in much the same manner as is frequently used for things like bottles of propane, you pull out your dead battery, dump it in a charge bank and swap it for a fresh one, so you can go from dead battery to full charge in about the same time as filling up a fuel tank.

Sure.

>why not make the batteries removable.
Wow what an original idea you are literally the first person to ever suggest such a thing.

inhabitat.com/tesla-launches-battery-swap-program-that-only-needs-3-minutes-for-a-full-charge/

machinedesign.com/automotive/could-battery-swapping-ease-range-anxiety-ev-owners

abcnews.go.com/Business/place-live-battery-switch-stations/story?id=13742428

Need I go on?

Huh, never actually looked it up, guess im not as smart as i thought

I´d buy a serial hybrid, as much range as a gas powered car and torque like a electric car.

Always really thought not, since they're pretty shit generally, but I realized that if I was successful enough to have a fun weekend car and a DD, that I'd probably do an EV DD.

Torque that falls off with motor speed. Great for 0-30 shit for normal driving.

No, the closest I would get is a hybrid. Id be into a superduty that had the same setup as locomotives where the diesel is just for the generator.

No, because shifting is fun

i would buy an electric bike though

I'd buy a Tesla or that new Faraday crossover
Or an i8.
Too bad I don't have enough money yet, but one day...

depends on the kind of racing

back in the 20s the world land speed record was held by an electric car. Electric motors develop maximum torque at 0 revs and only need a single step-down gear to connect to a car's wheels. You could even use an electronic differential and have one motor driving each rear wheel for zero parasitic loss thru a differential

Batteries are the weak point in a car, being incredibly expensive to replace and taking much more time to charge, as well as weighing more. You could probably build a sick electric dragster, but for endurance racing by the time you put enough battery power into the car the performance would be dragged down below gasoline-car levels.

Until they make something where I can stop at the gas station equivalent, stick the charger in for say, five minutes, and it be fully charged. I don't have a desire to get one

They said that over hundred years ago. Our current battery technology is literally from the 70's and it's physically impossible for a large battery to reach the energy density of fuel.

Drag racing yes.
Anything that needs more than a few mins of hard driving or more than 10s worth of battery power, no.

They don't have more torque necessarily they do however generate torque instantaneously.

>color
Colour!

Yes I would. Just to commute to the commuter train station.

Once it can do 300+ miles on a single charge WITHOUT resorting to hypermiling, charge in less than 15 minutes, and use regenerative braking to get down hills without chewing the brake pads to dust. And do 100MPH reliably, go for 10k miles without needing a shred of maintenance, and last for 100k miles over 10 years of being left outside in cold winters without the batteries going to shit.

Not as long as they aren't mandatory.