>One drag
>trans shits itself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_vBWtq_uacs
youtube.com/watch?v=n-y0C1_RKjY
ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-44696.html
ebay.com.au/itm/361470931174
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how will gm ever recover in the illegal drag racing scene?

>muh rebuild stage 4 billion tested 50000 times

That's what happens when you run slicks and more than twice the stock power on a stock tranny.

Apparently Ferrari couldn't even compete with it so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

>gm on last place

As expected

>not dropping your trans the organic way

youtu.be/_vBWtq_uacs

>abuse transmission
>it breaks
>GM TRANS A SHIT GUYS

only the 4l60e every single google result is one blowing up even when putting 250-300hp though one

its a shit trans

>run 1,000 HP through THM180
>WHY DID MY TRANSMISSION BREAK GUYS

The 4L60 is a light duty transmission. Basically the lockup converter, overdrive version of the THM350.

>man I just spent $12000 building a turbo LS because I'm just blindly following someones build thread on LS1tech instead of doing my own research and listening to sloppymechanics but I don't want to go through the trouble of putting in a 4L80E, or even a TH350/400. I'm just gonna use this 4L60E I had left over
>four transmission rebuilds later they finally buy a non shit tranny

nigger i was running 299hp to the rears on a stock ls and it blew

SHIT transmission

Ausfag here the TH seems to be a popular swap not many bother with 4l80e's

Powerglide or manual swap way more common

Every 2nd post i read on facey is some poor fuck blowing up their 500-800hp "STAGE2 STAGE 3 DRAG TRANS" or having never ending issues with it

This is why I dont fuck with 4g63s. Crank probably walked so hard it pushed the damn tranny off lol

lol

>Crank walks
>Crank walk puts stress on flywheel flange
>Flywheel flange breaks off
>60 pounds of spinning flywheel and clutch now loose in bellhousing

Holy shit I think you're right

My Ford 7.3PSD is coupled to an E4OD (4R100). Sometimes the motor feels like it's dying; Invariably, that's just the massive torque converter and shitty transmission refusing to kick down.

yeah my 4l60e let go badly

>slipped so bad in every gear would barely move
managed to limp it to a shop and waiting for a new gearbox, getting rid of the 4l60e going for a T56

i can say in offroad most the trophy trucks and KOH buggies are a TH based trans. I've never heard of anyone with a 4l80e or any 4spd auto.

good to know

why is the 4lxx series so fucking shit?

Let's say I want to put a built Gen III (LS1 sold in 'straya) in a Pajero, what trans is best for that?

stay the fuck away from the 4l80e or 4lxxx anything

Maybe a manual trans? Not sure what trans this bloke used but holy fuck its cool

youtube.com/watch?v=n-y0C1_RKjY

done some further googling

he used a 4l65e trans and a adaptor kit to a jeep transfer case

ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-44696.html

Reading up on this the 4l60e is a turd, direct qoute

>_________________________________

The 4L60E has 4 pinion planetary's .
The 4L65E has 5 pinion planetary's .

Holden realised the 4L60E has a fundimental flaw .

Under load the input and output shafts can flex between there bushings , causing the driven sungear to move and missalign in the planetary .
If the sungear is missaligned it may only make use of 40% of its contact surface area . This minimal contact breaks the teeth on the planetary ..

So in putting the 5 pinion planetary in the 4L65E trans , even if the sungear moves the extra pinion gear creates more surface contact on the missaligned sungear , increasing surface contact and helping supporting the load .

The 5 pinion planetary is a band-aid fix to strengthen the trans and aid in shaft support .
In my opinion a properly modified 4 pinion 4L60E trans is much stronger than the standard 5 pinion 4L65E transmission .

>_________________________________

>not just using a TH350

too late now my man t56 already on its way

no more blown planetaries!

4T60E is worse

they made in incredibly reliable engine and only stuck it in FWD shitboxes with a transmission known to blow itself up in 100k miles of babying it.

if you build the engine the tranny lasts 2 pulls.

they also stuck it in the GXP Grand Prix and Bonneville WITH A FUCKING LS

how could they not see the fucking problem

My 4l60e in my C5 completely destroyed itself within the first month of me owning it. Lost every gear but 4th.

>tfw I was going 52mph leisurely on my way to work at the time.

yikes thats fucked

you'd think they'd spec the vette trans better

absolutely the most unreliable trans ive ever had and ive been a staunch auto faggot for years

it was so bad i refused to put another auto in and just manual swapped it.
the 3800 s/c mangtec!

We only got that in RWD.

made dogshit all power but yeah pretty reliable even by our standards

4l60e trans have been infamous for exploding ever since the 90's here in aus.

got warned about them since iwas a kid and surely enough mine didnt even last a year

Falcunt?

t56?

You fucking spud

What did he mean by this I really want to known?

4L60 a shit, 4L80 is superior 4 speed transmission. It's pretty much the best street/strip trans you can think of. Sure, a Powerglide, 727 or TH400 might be better on the strip, but overdrive is a great thing to have, and a built 4L80 will handle any hp level a sane person would throw at a street car.

Use the standard gearbox that was bolted to either the larger 2.8 diesel or 3.5 petrol. They were uprated boxes that saw duty in the 2-3 tonne Canters.
Mark's Adapters does a bell housing that fits Holden V6 and V8s to the Pajero box. This way there's no fucking around with different transfers and such.

Avoid the smaller 2.5 diesel and 3.0 gearboxes as they're light duty items.

Also,
If this is 4D56 Pajero user, you'll need to fit around a 2" body lift to make the larger gearboxes fit.
You may be better off selling it and buying one with the larger engine already in it, as they came with a factory body lift, previously mentioned bigger gearbox, and 9.5" rear diff.

shutup falcunt

Tremec>shitrag

>Why are 4l60e's so crap?
Because it's based on the 700R4 which was also craptastic.

Mine was the AWD version and I had to get it professionally rebuilt because it wouldn't get into 2nd or 4th. Literally had to rev the shit out of it to get to third and forget about highway...

Why can't gm into autos? The 90s ones seem the worst and only one ausfag car even got the 4l65e the vz Commodore years after the yanks got it in 2001

I have 4 speed auto from toyota and it's shit.

It starts smelling when pulling hektik skidz in snow unless it's locked in 2nd

>sixty lbs

heavy flywheel you got there pal

Auto trans are the biggest meme even with huge air coolers and water-cooled oil coolers you can't keep them from heating up to temperatures so high the oil literally cooks and atf is pretty high temp oil.

Whoever came up with the fucking dumb idea for factory sealed and non serviceable trans like fucking fords with no dipstick need to be shot in the face

Yeah that might be a better idea, the Paj I have can be turned into a 5-6 grand car if I fix a couple of oil leaks.

>salty fag
I enjoy manuals as much as anyone else, but that seems like nothing but an autistic rant.
Did you have a bad childhood experience with "automatic transmissions"?

They are just crap for track and touge work they heat up too quick and grenade clutches waay too easy

700r4 is a popular as fuck trans because OD, they're far from craptastic, and can be build to handle plenty of power for cheap.

Autos are faster on upshifts but so slow on downshifts especially off power under engine braking it's unbelievable.

Sure modern autos are better but the problem still exists

That's because they're not made for shit like that.
You can't hate a fork for being a bad spoon, or vice versa.

You can probably blame it on electronics trying to figure out if it's safe to downshift or if something will blow if it does.

That's what everyone I asked about the 4l60e but it turned out the shops where lying through their teeth and their boxes rated to x HP was a load of shit because the design of them is fundamentally flawed.

No wonder there are so many fucking shitcunts throwing these together. Make a tonne of money of them perpetually exploding.

Nah the 4l60e has the slowest downshifts into 1st Ive ever experienced.

Also went into limp mode constantly but so do alot of them once you overheat them alot they all grenade

So no matter what you do, you can't keep them cool? Great, that means they'll have infinite energy. We can now hook up a Powerglide to a 350 small block, send the oil cooler heat into a steam turbine, and we'll have solved the energy crisis.

In all seriousness, you're wrong, since you can keep them cool enough, and you're right in that factory cooling systems are usually insufficient. And you're 100% right in that factory sealed transmissions are bullshit.

>so slow on downshifts
Confirmed for not having driven a modern automatic. They're quicker on downshifts then you can be with a manual.

>Nah the 4l60e has the slowest downshifts into 1st Ive ever experienced.
Confirms my suspicions then. A 4L60 isn't modern, and you can't expect any gearbox to shift into first quickly, not even a manual. 1st to 2nd gear usually has the biggest ratio gap in the entire transmission, and all those speeds inside the gearbox have to be equalised in order for a shift to happen.

I read up on a 6l80e swap but it won't interface with my gen iii ecu apparently which is a shame because I really wanted to swap one in
Try taking a old 4sp auto up a mountain range and get back to me

Why 6L80, when you can get an 8L90, or, eventually a 10L90?

I've taking an automatic 206 SW canyon carving in the Alps. It's fine.

Because they are cheap and its a 15 year old project car I'm fiddling with.

A t56 swap was cheaper and easier in the long run and came as a kit.

Pretty sure a 6l80e would require a aftermarket ecu at the least and a custom fit and wiring harness that's big $$$ here in ausland

Speaking of transmissions, is American Powertrain a reputable company?

is that a roush?

Fuck me the 8l90 still doesn't have a aftermarket after 3 years? What went wrong?

Too many gears and electronic control. Pita to put in an old car

So everyone just sticks with the 6l80e? Surely there's a better alternative.

Christ almighty here in aus we used the 4l60e until 2005

Gm should really make dedicated controllers for their new transmissions. It's such a shame so many street rods use 4l80's and TH400's, when the 8L90 is available.

Same thing for ZF, those guys should really make a TCM for the 8HP.

The 4sp is ancient but unless the aftermarket shops make their own shit asap everyone will just keep rebuilding those old boxes.

Such a shame aftermarket gearbox swaps and kits for newer auto and manual trans don't exist for older cars it would be awesome for restomods

To be fair the t56 and tr6060 are pretty much all the manual transmission you could want. For automatic, yeah. It blows

Sucks because I initially wanted a 6l80e swap but it wasn't possible without a gen IV conversion so FK that I might as well have bought a ve SS commodore.

Is the tr6070 a meme manual while we're on the topic of superfluous newer gearboxes?

Isn't it just the same as a tr6060 with an extra overdrive?

Idk I don't need that much gear

I have a 3.02 rear end so it would be useless anyway

The 6070 is a 6060 with an extra gear. The added overdrive is nice, because it keeps your highway RPM low, while allowing for a really tall (4.10 and higher) rear gear.

Now, if only we could get some 10L90 swap kits. Those might allow for 2000RPM highway running 5.10 gears or something stupid like that.

im sure it had nothing to do with going 130MPH in SECOND GEAR

doing launches from a dead stop in an awd car is a joke

Would running a 3.7 diff gear in my stock LSD with 150k miles be a bad idea moving up from 3.08?

1st gear as waaaay too tall it's like 50mph in first gear

What engine and transmission do you have currently.

See this is what I was thinking. You can't get good aftermarket support for a 6 speed auto or the like. And you don't even know about how strong that is. I've got 4.11s in my Dana 60, so I think ideally the best bet for be would be just to put a gear vendors unit behind my c6. Instant 6 speed that's tougher than nails.

LS1 stock 225rwkw
T56 going in next week so I wunna decide on a decent diff ratio because 3.08 stock is just silly.

Leaning towards 3.9 as I do some Highway cruising and mountain as well

Was thinking of getting this diff
ebay.com.au/itm/361470931174

Thanks for all the help you yanks are alot more knowledge and shit than the average bogan here

3.73 is usually a good start, and up to 4.10 is pretty streetable. Either of those or a 3.90 would be good - I'd see which is cheaper, either a 3.73 or a 3.90.

>Yanks
Dutch, actually (Kitkat is an amerilard though). Oh, and next time you're posting power numbers, use hp, it's a lot easier.

>turbocharged larger displacement engine making less power than a naturally aspirated smaller engine

HOLY FUCK YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIP UP

GM BTFO

Kk well it made 300rwhp and I don't wunna go overboard with the diff setup.

Clutch LSD in the car is almost knackered might as well be a single pegger hahah.

I don't wunna fall for the truetrac meme as this is a street car and blowing 2k on a diff feels like overkill.

Will definitely be the next thing I do cheers dutchfag may many cheese related blessings and burnouts be upon ye
Oops spoke too soon Ford twinks waking up from their cuckstang