Engine General

Which engine type is best engine type?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_displacement
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC211V
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosteamer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-bang_firing_order
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy
www4.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/eng/translation/201605092116362903751126888986086F7AD5AD613E85E98371627DE3F9EB4D1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>no inline 6

straight 5
because it has a nice sound, but is smoother than a 4 banger

Twin-row radial 14

>No str8 8

>Economy
3, 4 or small 6 cylinder
Any less gets into nasty balance issues, any more isn't efficient.
>Power
6 or 8 cylinders. Any less will be overstressed, any more gets overly complex and expensive

I had an idea for a super efficient inline 5 that turns off the injectors for cylinders 2 and 4 when cruising, and turns all off when decelerating

aint no v10 or v12 either bro

what about if it was twin charged like the new volvo engine instead?

forced induction doesn't actually help fuel economy senpai that's just a lie that auto industry wants you to believe

Any ideas on how to make this work over time user? What about the chance of the system not working after a couple of years?

V8.

>but muh German twin turbo supercharged hypercharged dick in my ass I6

Nah, I'm good. I'll stick with good old American muscle

The correct answer is V8

V12 is cool as hell but I like a thumping v8 most.

you are kind of wrong. if you need a certain power level then it is a good way to go.
a smaller engine has less internal friction. less pumping losses. so if the small one can make the power of the bigger one it can use a small amount less fuel. not a huge difference, its never going to be as efficient as a diesel.

flat 6 boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

V6>v8

>No cylindrical i1 with natural aspiration.

why wouldn't it work? it's not even a new concept

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_displacement

what was the matter with the honda V5

Wow that is a stupid idea. I am actually impressed.

VR8 engine when?

Inline 6, Inline 8, and V12 are the best imo

n/a Inline 4 for efficiency and simplicity

why was it stupid? it worked fine

Just because Honda wanted to be special snowflake above all else doesnt make a V5 a good idea.

explain what the issues are? it is creative way of innovating and being a step ahead of the rivals

you're a retard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC211V

>innovating
For what? Stringent rules for motorbike racing combined with packaging concerns or a good idea for an engine?

This.
>that's stupid because I don't like the idea and it doesn't work according to my baseless theory

Why would you link this Wiki page? I don't care about their racing seasons, I want technical information on the engine.

It's a stupid idea for an engine. Deal with it. How many vehicles does Honda use it in? Why did Honda even get cornered into making such a dumb config?
t; not because it's a superior, or even beneficial layout apart from a regulated motorcycle class.....

Nobody posted a V10?

>Caring about the meme-10

:/

slowfag pistoncucks gtfo outta my way

V8 cuz american muscle, not that 4 cyl shit

>redneck engineering

Forced induction improves economy on diesels.

More air=more complete combustion

deal with it? honda made it a monster and campaigned it into racing history. vw uses similar Vr5 engines in their european market golfs and such. i feel sorry that you're so dense you cant absorb the tenure that v3 and v5 engines have earned under honda.

any inline engine could be be made into a vee configuration and run smoothly with proper balancing measures.

as for the main discussion, id like to vote for inline 6. perfect balance and very versatile. giant diesels that never see 2000rpm and RB26 engines that do almost 9k.

>no actual best engine, I6

Kill yourself

>
>>redneck engineering
Corsets to loll lol lop

>It's a stupid idea for an engine
You keep claiming that, and yet you can't tell anyone why it is.

>muh specialized racing workarounds
It's still a stupid fucking engine config that no one else will ever use. At least the VR5 has dimensional width and a single head going for it, not some fully retarded 60 degree bank angle V6 with a cylinder missing for some godforsaken reason.

its not a workaround....it a configuration built for the sake of research and it WORKED. basically your argument is purely personal and baseless

honda fielded other platforms that failed miserably and this one worked. they even made a 32v v4 with oval pistons. worked terribly.

Not the same guy, but wouldn't it be unbalanced?

It's not about fuel economy you dumb nigger. It's about energy.
Turbos recycle wasted heat. Heat is energy. In a normally-aspirated engine, more than half of the potential energy of the fuel combusted in the cylinder just goes into the cylinder walls and coolant, where it is bled off by the radiator. There is no way in an N/A car to reclaim that heat and do something useful with it except warm the cabin.

In a turbo car, the heat of combustion which would otherwise be dispersed into the atmosphere is used to spin a turbine that ensures all cylinders have positive pressure (meaning the engine can have more air in its cylinders than it could ever pull in there alone) and reduces the workload of the rotating assembly, making the entire engine more energy efficient, even if it does increase power and can suck down more fuel depending on the driver.

tl;dr: Fuel efficiency is the meme of the century. If you only look at MPGs you have been fucking trolled.
Most N/A cars are only capable of turning 30-40% of the energy of their fuel into usable motive power. Turbo cars get closer to 60% because they have far superior volumetric efficiency and don't waste as much heat.

That's all it is, a workaround. "It works" isn't a case for it being a good idea, apart from a workaround for Honda's very unique limiting circumstances. Otherwise, a V5 has all the merits and benefits of a V7 - NONE.

>It's not about fuel economy you dumb nigger. It's about energy.
Where does energy come from retard?

>There is no way in an N/A car to reclaim that heat and do something useful with it except warm the cabin.
Yes there is, it's called a thermoelectric generator

Also BMW is working on something called a Turbosteamer:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosteamer

>(meaning the engine can have more air in its cylinders than it could ever pull in there alone)
And along with that air goes more fuel to maintain the stoichiometric ratio.

Gee, could it be because Honda is a Japanese company and in Japan they tax your car based on its displacement? Lopping a cylinder off a V6 would probably let them put a more powerful engine into smaller cars that wouldn't sell in the higher displacement tax bracket.

So a V5 engine configuration, similar to Volvo and Audis I5s, probably provides similar power characteristics to a V6, with less rotating mass and a smaller package.

It's really not hard to understand the weird shit companies do for research if you aren't a cynical jackass who doesn't actually know enough to act jaded.

None of them.

>V5

Let's put more cylinders on one side of the engine than the other! Why would anyone ever think this is a good idea?

Engines with odd numbers of pistons should always be inline.

>Which engine type is best engine type
2 stroke.

This

What exactly are they "working around"?

Anything with a big bang firing order, because "proper theatre"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-bang_firing_order

Electric motors are kinda fat or at least the cars that have them are waaaay fucking heavier than they look.
>lotus elise weighs sub 2000 lbs
>same era tesla roadster (basically an electric elise) weighs 700 lbs more

If automakers or tech companies could find a way to make electric motors generate a ton of power without the weight id be in love.

Do you really wish for me to detail where the energy in your fuel came ultimately from? Because the simplest explanation is that it came from the giant glowing ball of hydrogen about a million miles away, was processed by ancient plants and animals who later died and, after millions of years of decomposition, was sucked up, refined, and dumped at your local gas station.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Show me there the TEG is on a Camry. Oh, you can't because there isn't a single production car with that technology.

And yes I assumed we all understand the stoichiometric ratio and that air generally has fuel to go along with it. I just felt I was getting a bit wordy and didn't need to explain that.

A transverse mounted in-line turbocharged 4, of course, what a silly question.

If thermoelectric generators were even remotely efficient the world wouldn't have an energy problem. Virtually everything, even your high horse emits wasted heat energy.

top 10 engines

i6 big turbo
i6 twin turbo
i6
i6
i6
i6
i6
i4 turbo
rotary turbo
1.8 miata engine

>inherently imbalanced without counterweights that make the engine heavier
It's not like they didn't have the space to cram another cylinder in there, is it?

That's really due to battery technology though, not the actual electric motor itself. An electric motor tends to provide more power per weight and size.

>"regulations"
Literally packaging and weight distro SPECIFIC to the class they race in while leaving clearance for the riders knees. Literally.

But according to Honda engineer themselves: "The most decisive element was the fact no other company used it before". That's a direct translation of his words. It's that special snowflake stuff that Honda likes to go with, except their snowflake convictions are never based on wisdom, but pride. Case and point: Honda shunned the planetary gear automatic transmission until very recently, because of pride and snowflakism.

Nice Duracell.

Please, a source on the measures of which are used to counter balance and the weight said measures impede.

Exactly. If there's enough space to put 3 cylinders on one side of the engine, there should be enough space to put 3 on the other side instead of 2. It shouldn't increase the length, height, or width of the engine.

flat 4 with UEL header

>because of pride and snowflakism.
oh yeah totally not because it made construction simpler between automatic/manual trim levels or anything, it's all because they wanted to feel "special".

protip: You are a fucking idiot.

>god motor that puts out max torque at all speeds
>desperately wants to find a flaw
>can't think of one, resorts to name-calling instead

And yet, it was dominantly successful in direct competition to the traditional inline and vee four cylinders, even though all had to fall within the same capacity limit.

Oh calm down Skippy, no one's assaulting the honor of you or your snowflake car, we're just having a bit of fun. Grow up.

>3 cylinders at the front where there is room
>2cylinders at the back to make it easier for a rider to tuck in and be aerodynamic

It's pretty simple mang.

There's a reason all ( or large majority) of MotoGP bikes use a V4 and it is directly related to packaging and Aero

Naturally Aspirated V12, no contest.

V6
perfect price/performance ratio

Odd numbered cylinders dont work in a similar way to how computers operate in multiples of 24.

And yet, at the time of the RC211V, the vee four competition couldn't compete?

My guess is that the extra valve area afforded by having another cylinder gave them an edge whereas now engine development has caught up to a point where the extra complications aren't necessary

D O R I T O P O W E R
O
R
I
T
O

P
O
W
E
R

MotoGP is pretty split between V4 and I4 actually

And V4s have been historically heavy and complicated compared to I4s, even the "sporty" ones. Honda only got gud recently.

This. OHV V8 has the best sound, reliability and rumble.

>puts out max torque at all speeds
Actually electric motors lose torque as speed increases. That's part of what limits the Tesla top speed

700cc 2-stroke

That's not surprising with the displacement averaged by a 5th set of valves that nets more flow. Good for Honda and their motorbike racing competition series.

His post stopped short because of a seal.

>he needs 20l of displacement to make 150hp

lmao at ur life

Sounds like rip piston rings

Reminder that it has been 12 years since the last V8 to win Le Mans and 14 since the last petrol V8 to do it and you have to go back 28 years for the one before that. It has also been 48 years since the last win by an american manufacturer.

Just wondering how long it's been since the last inline six win?

>my starter is bigger than most electric car motors

Jou kanker vader

Honda's factory MotoGP bikes (used to?) disable a cylinder in long sweeping corners in order to save fuel.

>no one wants to answer this question
Either that or some faggot's thinking of an excuse.

Why aren't there engines with different displacement cylinders?

www4.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/eng/translation/201605092116362903751126888986086F7AD5AD613E85E98371627DE3F9EB4D1

Honda patent for just that for use in engines where you may shut off one or more cylinders.

straight 5's are sexual, wish my volvo had more power though

>turbo it with stock internals

How long has it been since the last inline 5 win?

that not really an issue a lot of engine have a balance shaft anyway

More importantly did you know that there has never been a DNF for a straight 5 at the 24hs du Le Mans

honda had one like that in motoGP.