So Veeky Forums what do you think about John Green...

So Veeky Forums what do you think about John Green? I would say most of his lectures are fine even if they don't provide deep information, but then there are some that are just rubbish, like this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=QV7CanyzhZg

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/09/maya-empire-snake-kings-dynasty-mesoamerica/
youtube.com/watch?v=mLBws-4kzG8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Like in your video, he gets annoying with the "muh eurocentrism" but he's still not exactly wrong, it's not like the dark ages were bad for everyone.

Most people here hate his guts though because his history is relatively simplistic and usually pushes a leftist ideology they don't agree with. Personally, I don't think he brutalizes history any worse than 90% of highschools.

I don't get it, what's wrong with this?

He pushes a leftist ideology to history, but what would history be if you didn't have opinions about it?

>This happened
>Ok

He doesn't go in depth but everything he says is accurate. The dark ages were not dark for everyone. Around the 600s, the Mayan empire was doing amazing shit as some archeolgists have found out about recently (pic related):

nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/09/maya-empire-snake-kings-dynasty-mesoamerica/

seems like another annoying, dweeby pop historian

hes more a progressive propagandist than an actual historian. He doesnt present these events in order to teach kids about them, he presents them in order to mold those events into proving his upper middle class cookie cutter liberal world view.

And this might be ok for you, but only if you are either some clueless kid who doesnt know any better, and takes his pop little history snippets as gospel, or you agree with his political agenda

Hes also a walking cliche of the numale and his story about how he married his wife seems like something /pol/ made up as a joke

youtube.com/watch?v=mLBws-4kzG8

The term "dark ages" is objectively not eurocentric.

Calling the "dark ages" eurocentric is like calling the "three kingdoms era" sinocentric because there were more than 3 kingdoms in the world at the time.

Everyone knows "three kingdoms era" refers to the geographic area of China. Everyone knows the "dark ages" refers to Europe after the fall of the western Roman Empire when various indicators like the production of lead, trade, the production of literary works and so forth basically dropped to zero in that area. No one who uses the term "dark ages" is unaware that the Eastern Roman Empire or any other urbanized stable civilization elsewhere in the world continued to exist.

Someone from China looking at this would agree that it was a dark age unless they are a spooked/lying goober like John Green.

Note how I am using nothing but bland factual logical arguments but apparently I am a "fascist" just for disagreeing with him anyway.

>(pic related):

p-pepe?

>He pushes a leftist ideology to history, but what would history be if you didn't have opinions about it?
You are free to form opinions, in fact, it's impossible not to, but it's wrong to push these opinions onto others.

This is why he's hosting a youtube show and not an actual professor

>but apparently I am a "fascist" just for disagreeing with him anyway.

they call people that disagree with them "alt-right" now

Well, I think the main reason why he's not a history lecturer is because he got a BA in English and writes fiction for a living. I imagine he only runs crash course because he believes in education, since he does pretty fucking well of his books.

>I have never wanted to be so crest complete
I dislike John Green but his writing is absolutely great to laugh at.

>So Veeky Forums what do you think about John Green?

Garbage. He'll say anything to attract viewers.

He's inaccurate and shouldn't be used as (I've heard horror stories of teachers actually using him or his brother to teach). He pushes a leftist agenda, as well as inaccurate info to boot.

Also, I remember someone posted how he completely fucked up the location of the city states in a video on Ancient Greece.

How did he marry his wife? I already heard about how he likes eating cum out of cereal bowls. What else?

It's amazing the way he unified Veeky Forums, /pol/, /tv/ and Veeky Forums. The fucker is hated site wide and that takes some effort

I understand all the other boards but why /tv/?

Some of his books have been made into equally awful films

>How did he marry his wife?

>John likes this hot girl in highschool
>gets friendzoned hard by her
>basically becomes her little asexual pet
>they end up going to the same college
>John begs her constantly to go on a date with him
>she agrees out of pity
>after 2 dates she says she doesnt like him like that
>she proceeds to go with Chads
>John spends the next few years writing gay novels for teenage girls
>makes a million dollars
>the girl he likes suddenly decides she likes him and has always liked him

He brags about this in one of his videos, completely unaware that he is just the beta provider for her. Shes also 5 years older than him I think

Beta bux: the life. Puts his Cheerio fetish in a new light. Self-delusion is a horrible thing

>but apparently I am a "fascist" just for disagreeing with him anyway.

I like how going "he's not making a false statement that the dark ages weren't bad for everyone" evokes this sort of response, where you call John Green a liar (for echoing your sentiment that "the dark ages were a European phenomenon, let me talk to you about places where it wasn't as bad as in Europe", just using a vocabulary that triggers you), and victimize yourself by acting like I called you a fascist for making a comment that his choice of vocabulary and leftist swing is annoying.

Also

>No one who uses the term "dark ages" is unaware that the Eastern Roman Empire or any other urbanized stable civilization elsewhere in the world continued to exist.

I think you vastly overestimate the average normie. Even if this was the case, despite your disagreements with how he shaped the narrative (I, too, find "UGH HOW EUROCENTRIC" an irritating sentiment) he still, as I said, is not wrong about the principle that the dark ages weren't bad for everyone, even if you think that's a statement that should go without saying.

>but it's wrong to push these opinions onto others.

Welcome to history, where except to a core group of academics it's a tool to peddle ideology.

That said, I don't inherently think using history to make an ideological argument is immoral, as long as you're not being intentionally manipulative (which is usually what happens, that or someone drinks the kool-aid on an idea that fits their world view and never examine its validity). Going "From my observation of history x is bad and y is good and here's why I think so" is just basing your argument with evidence.

What's wrong with that video? He literally says "dark ages" weren't that bad for Europeans and during those times a lot of places in the world were doing fine.

Sure the guy is an insufferable cunt and embodies a stereotypical American Leftist image but other than that I watched the video expecting to be angered by historical inaccuracy and found none.

>(I've heard horror stories of teachers actually using him or his brother to teach).
It's true, my highschool Civics teacher used to show us John Green's videos in class regularly.

>(I've heard horror stories of teachers actually using him or his brother to teach

if you read the comments in his videos, a bunch of them are teachers saying how great they are and use them in their classes. Also, they are all women

My college English teacher is using him to explain the history behind the stuff we're reading.

She also asked us our preferred pronouns and explained her policy for trigger warnings.

Help.

You should have went to college at someplace less cucked.

Jesus, that's horrible. I almost regret asking.

would it be too much trouble if you could help me find the video link?

My prof when I was taking summer classes was a Grenada vet who was bitching about the no guns policy.

Oh shit she's a gold digger,

Just thought you should, nigga

Just bear it, and if it comes to intellectual debate, state your case and hold your ground.

It's what I do in some of my tutorial sessions and I get shit for it, but I remain steadfast.

HS History is literally John Greene: The Class

wow that's really...amazing.

unwarranted levels of passive aggression desu

Are you one of those people that is weirdly self conciess about the history of their own ethnicity, that they feel the need to disparage the history/achievements of others?

The study and love of history does not come from a perverse contest that only faggots such as yourself get involved with - it comes from enjoying whatever you happen to enjoy studying.

I, and many others, love mesoamerica. You can too if you like :)

If it's not an egotistical dickwaving contest where I can claim the achievements of others as my own why would I care?

WOOOOOW!

SOME COLUMNS!!!

INCREDIBLE!!!

I bet you can't even make a 131 foot column with a spiral staircase in the middle.

Fag

>131 foot

Please kill yourself Non European subhuman

Btw dumbest monument ever, you can't even see 80% of those reliefs since the column is too fucking tall