Which layout is best for snow driving?

FWD?

AWD?

RWD?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XqZUWKAJ_ok
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AWD /thread

Depends what you want to do in the snow.
My commute to work this morning in my BRZ made me very happy but I could have done it quicker in the W12 because it can put it's power down better with AWD in the snow. Either way it's stopping distances that are the limiting factor and the number of driver wheels or there arrangement don't change that.

RWD is most fun but AWD is most effective, only if it does not have a super heavy front bias. FWD is just eh, it gets the job done but not very well.

AWD>FWD>RWD
snow tires> all seasons> summer tires

This

Agree

This

RWD spins.
FWD gets you there.
AWD gets you there easily.

rwd + winters is the real goat. drifting around every corner makes me very hard

Thats part of the things I love with a pickup

2HI for fun and daily, 4HI for when it gets deep or steep, 4LO because sometimes its just fun

>winters
Whimp, I'm still on summers.

Driving my WRX in the snow was a weird experience. I'm used to countersteering but when I would apply those techniques with AWD the results were surprising.

FWD works well because most FWD vehicles are front weight biased, so more weight is over the driving wheels when going from a stop.

So what you're saying is that you live in a place that dont get heavy winters?

No just that I don't bitch about it like some people and I can drive unlike most of Veeky Forums who seem to think a few inches of snow is cause for snow chains 4wd and a snow plow. I'll often be driving along roads with snow drifts six foot deep on summer tires because it's not a big deal if you are sensible.

hurrrrrr durrrr Im retarded on purpose but im a badass because im retarded daaarrrrrr

Uh-huh

And the road condition is... slushy? Powder? Ice?

Any hills to speak of?

What speed are you doing?

Also; what exact tires are you on?

A mighty Swede with RWD + Winter tires.

>Which layout is best for ... driving?
AWD

RWD cars over 500 bhp are the best for winter. Especially with Hoosier slicks.

Leftwheel-drive and snow tires+chains on the right.

Here here

stay the fuck away from me on the road, retard.

RWD with snow tires
I find its easier to regain control over your car if your back end starts to slide out compared to fwd.

Cant speak for AWD, haven't owned one yet, but I assume its the best for traction and so on.

youtube.com/watch?v=XqZUWKAJ_ok

RWD is all fun and games till you have to start on a steep hill or slide into a ditch. LSD or a locker helps but when shit goes wrong the extra traction from the front wheels helps. You need all the help you can get when you get stuck with no cell reception when it's -35.

4X4 master race.

This

But I would also say that if I have a good set of snow tires I really couldn't care less what the drivetrain layout is.

Actually I'd rather have a RWD on snow tires than a FWD on all seasons or a AWD on some kind of summer performance tire.

This.

>fwd over rwd
How to spot pussies who cannot drive.

Would an MR then be better for snow driving?

No, I have a Cayman S and my rear will whip out and it's unstoppable in snow

I drive like I give no fucks in my mom's 02 corolla (fwd)

My 86 is super fun do drive, back end whips out a lot and it's fun (rwd)

My buddy's A4 Quattro just plows like crazy. (AWD)

I'd pick rwd in snow, unless you need to go off-road or you live outside a major city. Then I'd get lifted awd

If you're too stupid to get winter tires, AWD, followed by proper 4wd, followed by FWD, followed by RWD.

An AWD car doesn't steer or stop any better than a RWD car, so the better acceleration traction is sometimes a mixed blessing.

The FWD car will lose front traction and slide head on into things if you overload your traction with too many inputs, this is safer than spinning into things like a RWD car driven past it's traction limit, but it's easier to overload the traction on an FWD car because your front tires are doing everything.

With winter/snow tires, I'd say that 4wd is best, followed by AWD, then RWD, and finally FWD, but really good snow tires make enough difference that you could get by with anything.

This. FWD is not better in the snow than RWD if you arent a shitty driver. AWD is best but even then a FWD with winter tires is better than AWD on all seasons. Limited slip diff(s) make a huge difference too.
You dont know snow then, wimp

Pretty much this, as much as I love rwd, it's worse in heavy snow than fwd, when FF layout can pull you from some snow, FR just won't cuz light rear

You don't /thread you're own comment newfag.

The problem isn't MR, the problem is wide tires that "float" over snow.

Summer: any tire narrower than 255 sucks.
Winter: any tire wider than 255 sucks.