Redpill me on Haldex

Redpill me on Haldex.

Why is it considered shit?

Why is it considered a meme AWD?

Why is Torsen better?

>Redpill me on Haldex.
Haldex faux awd. It's front wheel drive and sends no more than 50% of the power in the other wheels whenever it detects slip.

>Why is Torsen better?
Torsen has diffs, which are not available in haldex. Also it's not fwd biased.

>Why is it considered a meme AWD?
Because people go around saying they have awd cars, despite them using haldex, and audi uses it in the cheaper quattro model iirc which only escalates the problem.

>Why is it considered shit?
It's prone to malfunction if left unchecked, especially in the early generations(which we're used by the original generation audi TT for example). And because it's glorified fwd.

But user, it's still AWD when you need it, right? What's wrong with that? Why would you need AWD at all times?

you need to explain why awd would make a difference when you're crawling in traffic at 10mph or trying to park?

Because cars that use part time AWD are handle like FWD cars until they slip, and then send power to the rear. This is only usable in low traction environment. Your car with this system will never feel like an AWD, or RWD biased car during normal driving.

also, uneven as fuck tire wear

none, unless its a foot of snow, ice, or mud. But its nice to have when you need it.

>Fuse goes bad
>lolnomorehaldex
And haldex engages under power only, while the torsen diffs are active all the time, like in any true awd.

Bad argument. That's like saying why would you need a ferrari to drive around town when you can do it in a geo metro. Awd is for different applications obviously.

>That's like saying why would you need a ferrari to drive around town when you can do it in a geo metro. Awd is for different applications obviously.
no it's not, your analogy sucks

Because Haldex uses clutches instead of diffs. This means you can't send all power to the one wheel that can use it unless you do some fuckery with the brakes, which increases wear.

It also only kicks in when it detects slip, so the car will handle like a FWD one.

Fine. It's useless in parking or crawling in traffic.
Satisfied?

>Your car with this system will never feel like an AWD, or RWD biased car during normal driving.
Why would it? AWD is supposed to only really help you when you need it, right?

but diffs have clutches in them user

But user launching an AWD car is super fun. It just hooks and goes

Not all of them, and Haldex has no center diff. Only clutches. And that's the main problem.

>haldex launches
>all the lost power in the drivetrain
>no more memelord torquesteer
>no more FWD tire chirping
why live

memes aside:
>snow, ice=AWD, even haldex
>rain=FWD

Doesn't Haldex do that too? I mean if it detects a slip it should engage the RWD as well, right?

Yes, out of all the thing to criticise Haldex for it wouldn't be straight line traction.

Not sure never driven one. When I launch my wrx the tires chip once then grab and it's gone. That was only at 4500 cause I don't trust my clutch to not explode any higher than that. They might do it too but I've only ever dig raced some people from work who all have rwd stuff.

Not ones worth a shit

right, so I'm supposed to think the most cutting edge diffs fitted to wrc cars are trash because anonymous on a taiwanese yoghurt knitting forum said so?

WRC cars do not use clutch pack diffs. They exclusively use normal, mechanical diffs.

>a clutch isn't a mechanical device
fucking retard you are son

I was under the impression they used torsion type diffs

Is not bad, it does what it was designed to do (saves fuel when you don't need AWD).
Veeky Forums hates it because most of them are autists that don't understand how a market works.

The easiest way to explain why people don't like Haldex is the same reason people don't like automatic transmissions.
Just like an automatic transmission, Haldex decides when you need the traction. It decides when to route the power and how much power to route. Just like an AT this is great for most people who are driving on the street. The problems arise when you start thrashing the car.
Just like an AT, Haldex is simple computer, and when you're trying to make max power, and you're going through turn after turn at high speeds with quick changes in throttle, it isn't very good.
This is why many Veeky Forumstists prefer torsen AWD, because it's mechanical. It does the same thing every single time. It can be manually adjusted. Gears don't have to take time to process what they're doing mid corner. That's why Haldex is not used in performance models, because the manufacturers know it doesn't work well in those conditions!

As an Veeky Forumstists I prefer to have full control over my car. This means no TCS, no Haldex, and a manual gearbox.

Would I drive a brand new DCT, adaptive awd performance car with the TCS on? Absolutely!
Do I trust an 80s, 90s, or 00s car with the same features? Not so much.

In conclusion, Haldex is fantastic for someone who doesn't drive the piss out of their car.

BTW to all the retards that don't like haldex because it decides on it own when to send power to the rear wheels you can lock it at 60/40 or 50/50.

50/50 torque split is going to cause understeer, especially mid corner.

Your tires have a limited amount of grip. The front wheels can only turn so much. If you then try to apply power before the apex you can't put down as much power as the front tires must turn and accelerate in Haldex while RWD has turning on the front wheels only and power delivery goes to the rear wheels.

All serious performance cars with AWD are strongly rear biased for this reason. ATTESA in the GTR and AWD in the 911 Turbo starts at RWD unless there is slip or the controller detects a special case where slip is likely.

>Redpill me on Haldex.
It's an excelent company we use quite a few of the pnumatic components they make at work.

Wish i got the awd version on my car. At least i got the top engine and top trim

ITT: Nobody knows anything.

can you refute some points instead of making this epic reddit comment then

Nope. No discussion of anything useful will ever happen on Veeky Forums.

what other awd system out they compares to the subarus?

i want something awd that doesnt come with a boxster

THE BUGATTI CHIRON USES HALIDEX

THE LANBORGHINI AVENTADOR LP700-4 USES HALIDEX

THE RANGE ROVER EVOQUE USES HALIDEX

YOUR MUM USES HALIDEX

Powering the rear wheels only on demand means no power oversteer. It also means you can't pull the car out of a 90 degree slide just by flooring the throttle and pointing the car where you wan to go.

The Aventador AWD is reverse Haldex. It's RWD default and sends power to the front as conditions dictate.

Not the same as FWD Haldex which is universally kind of shitty.

Most don't

If the evoque uses haldex that means that Focus RS does to?

Yes, "if" being the crucial word.

Audis with longitudinal engines, minus the current gen "ultra" cars.

people dont like it cause its fwd under normal driving conditions. so your vw golf R drives fwd unless youre hooning. so it doesnt totally suck or anything its just that some people want the full enchilada at all times like the wrx STI awd system (protip: golf r is still faster than the STI and focus RS with haldex)

Stuff like BMW X-Drive is better.