New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1wew83/recommend_your_favorite_tool_for_game_development/
gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/
gamasutra.com/blogs/ErinRobinson/20120502/169588/5_Alternatives_to_a_Game_Design_Doc.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm gonna make my own engine

tfw perfect weather for devving

today's gonna be a good day

>they don't VR as a busty animoo cat girl

disgusting

>Humidity: 91%
>perfect

What happened to Slipstreamdev?

>91% humidity
>perfect

>writing a How To for myself so I can navigate my own program

yeah? I do it all the time. helpful for when i come back months later and have no idea how to use my own tools.

What is this trash?

make fun of it,one more time

Comments literally make a codebase less usable, readable, and maintainable. Comments literally make you a nodev.

Do we really need a my little pony op?

Lol. Just fucking lol, shitfam. You literally made this. And now you're paying the price. :^)

are you the idiot for saying it or am I for responding?

Adding C++ stuff to Godot is actually pretty nice. You just add your class, the new build only takes 30 seconds on my toaster, and your class is immediately accessible from script and in the scene editor (if you want to). Only problem of course, you need to restart the editor every time, it would be nice if there were seperate reloadable code from DLLs

don't implement feedback just to prove a point to insane people, you have to actually agree with the feedback and it has to make sense for you to make the change. i.e if i'm giving feedback on placeholders just ignore it. like, if you have better things to do with your time then to make those plastic things not look so plastic, just do that.

>C++
Literally nodev garbage. Kill yourself.

this thread is awful post progress

i just started learning how to gamedev i have no idea what i'm doing but i'm havin a good time with my garbage

thats nice but nobody cares about godot

________________:^)

This seemed like a good idea until the code got updated but the instructions didn't

>this thread is awful
Lol. Just fucking lol, sourcefam. Is that your newest ""project""? Stop commenting.

DEMO DAY 12 IN 21 HOURS

WHO HYPED?

that looks pretty solid for a beginner. did you make all of that yourself? you might have a future.

nice jump

me

this will be you if you keep it up

Tierlist ready to go.
im going to tear these demos a new asshole.

Does anybody actually use Löve for real games?

Oh my god. I can't believe people post shit like that here.

>tfw consistent rank improvement every time

aerannis dev did.
the guy who made fuccboi gdx did

thanks lol i have taken a lot of formal programming classes in uni which is the only reason i have any idea wtf i'm doing. one day i'll be a good artist.

i can't wait

i'm fuckin' trying boyo

How is Lua? I read up on it a little bit and the metatable stuff seems nice, but it looked like that's pretty much the beginning and the end of the language?

rts/rpg hybrid I've been working on.

Oh my god. Just get rid of this already.

is there a version where i can tactically pet the dog

i like it looks fun

>demoday.jpg
Clever.

Nice, I like these sorts of individualized controls with positioning and real-time action. You say RTS, so can I get other characters I assume? Is it like Dankest Dungeon, Warcraft or something else altogether?

>that gif

Remade the tutorial system for like the third time
Hopefully tutorials count as demo content

you should really make a custom cursor. its easy for it to get lost.

never played an RTS, but do you really have to control all 4 chars at once in realtime? there's no way to set an option for ai to take control?

I was thinking something like a traditional RPG, just with RTS controls for the main party.

>you need to restart the editor every time
Do you mean after creating a new c++ module?

Looking to implement something as a module soon myself. Got any tips or pitfalls you can share?

Progress!

Not awful for a week's work

Why the fuck is this gif here? There's nothing about it that's even remotely ok.

Looks fun

Good suggestion on the mouse thing, I'll look into making some more noticeable cursors. And yeah, I'm really big into the idea of having to play fast and micromanage everything.

This is a good point but I assume OP will implement hotkeys/grouping like in any RTS. If you can just press 1-2-3-4 and issue your commands it should be very efficient and could produce quite a high skill cap

WHY THE FUCK DID I START REFACTORING SHIT?!

Seriously though, that was buttfuck retarded to start before demoday. Gotta rollback.

I can't believe someone would just post that here like it's okay.

the ugly boarders are for some bug checking, they will be gone by next demo day

everything in that image is a placeholder.

Fuck that's frantic. Coop Multiplayer when?

Those control groups work, right? I can press 4 to get the red guy?
If you let us have like 5 of each unit, or maybe just units of any type up to a total cap, this could be the juiciest Pikmin clone ever.
>shitload of mages shooting fireballs at the same time
>shitload of archers firing a volley into a shitload of grunts
>they stay in circle clusters, it's harder to dodge shit when you have more units
that's a recipe for success right there

why does this gif exist

i think it's time for wicked to become vogue again

yes but i have no idea what im looking at.
i just see green X's and blue boxes, and then random green/box boxes, and more gradient mud colored boxes. also maybe a gray air hockey puck?

perhaps a webm would help

>mixel effects

>Do you mean after creating a new c++ module?
Yeah, after compilation. I mean it's just a minor nitpick, but if you could compile your module as a DLL plugin and then reload it in the editor that would be a real nicety, but it's not a big deal to have to restart.

No, I have only done the basics and done some performance comparisons, but it's really simple. If you follow the tutorial nothing can go wrong. You can still access all of the same classes with the same functions that you have in GDScript so from that perspective there isn't much to learn. If you inherit from Node, your class is automatically added to the list of nodes in the editor and you can just add it to your scene like any other node

It seems to me that for anything that is really code-heavy or data-heavy it is really better to use C++ for the element, but then use GDScript to organize the scene and call the appropriate functions. So some games (like platformers) don't need any C++ for sure, but in my game I have some algorithms and data processing and C++ is much more suitable to implement this than GDScript.

Fuck off nodev

my previous experience is php and javascript (yeah yeah) so coming from that it's certainly strange. lua has a ton of really weird stuff in it that works fine once you know it but will trip you up if you don't.

Like, tables are { objects } and they can contain literally anything at any index, but they can also act like [ arrays ] if you give them numeric indices, BUT to do that you have to actually for-loop a bunch of numbers into the keys and nils into the values. There's been a bunch of stuff like that, actually -- not broken or stupid or anything, just really weird coming from languages that have that built-in.

it's growing on me. there's a couple anons around who know it better than I do though, I was asking stuff here last night and people were much helpful

really like the idea

shoot the glowing things
don't touch the glowing things

the grey boxes are meant to be buildings but i changed the camera. camera is much uglier like this but the game controls better

scrap that, i actually love the idea.

Make assets or gameplay first??

gameplay

If you have no gameplay the assets are wasted.

if you make the assets first and your gameplay idea/implementation turns out to be shit then all your assets will most likely be useless.

always gameplay first

posting cuz im not making a demo for demoday.

If you have gameplay but no asset it's worse because you spent time making a game that nobody will care about.

gameplay

Think of your favourite games, what's more important, the gameplay or the graphics?

Use prototype assets.
It can be helpful to have assets that don't look like total dogshit to give a better idea of what the game might feel like in total.
And anyway, some games are very asset-dependent, others aren't. Like, as for a fighting game, there isn't really a game without assets

is dat sum gods gift

>nodev
Where's your game?

As stupid as it sounds, pic related has happened a least twice before. Impersonator even took the time to edit webms of one game to make it look like he was editing the game. And don't forget about the square waifu game made by a guy that pretended to be bokudev all the time, probably to get attention. That was also sourcefam.

aye

>square waifu game made by a guy that pretended to be bokudev all the time
Now I suddenly respect block waifu game.

Where is your game, Literally Insane Shitposter?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I still say having the cultists not homogenous in that animation is distracting to the eye

Assets

>has no game
Figures.
But why are you posting here in a game dev thread when you are not a game dev? You have no game. You never even planned to make a game. Why are you here? Are you Literally Insane?

New day, new 'post comfy game ideas for comfy jam' post.

Can we just fuck and get over it?

are you going to make sofa simulator?
cause you should

Wow. There's no game here! Better let the Halifax PD know that their monkey is on the loose again...

coffeehouse

I would but I don't know how it would play even though I spend all day every day on the sofa.

Loved it, user!

I've wanted to make a first person dungeon crawler in the style of those old ones for a whole while now. What engine do you recommend?
Thought about the style of Etrian Odyssey, or like the old Megami Tensei/Phantasy Star ones.

>for comfy jam

Remember to call your local police when you see the subtle saboteur get out of hand!

everybody post useful reddit threads

reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1wew83/recommend_your_favorite_tool_for_game_development/

^the gamasutra links were pretty nice

might as well link them here actually, since rest of the thread is basically ads for planning software

gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/ gamasutra.com/blogs/ErinRobinson/20120502/169588/5_Alternatives_to_a_Game_Design_Doc.php

Any engine you want fampai

You can do it 2D or 3D or text

>everybody post useful reddit threads
KYS yourself