Was this also in part to make import cars less attractive?

lol

>implying American cars were any better off
The sole advantage of American makers that made their bumpers less ugly later on was that they could concentrate on this market. Foreign makers had other markets to serve as well, so their bumpers for the US were only an adaption, not the main vehicle design.

I go hard on the motherfucking shelf, nigga
Show my wealth, nigga
Chrome girders for myself, nigga

In my opinion they were better off because the overall American car styling was consistent with the huge bumpers and sealed beams while it looked horribly out of place on European cars and actually made them terrible and pitiful to look at in that condition.

It blended it, but was awful nonetheless. Brougham styling in general was a mistake. I don't know what was first though, huge bumpers and then the realization that you could revive brougham to work with them, or the brougham trend and then the realization that huge bumpers will fit right in.

explain this shit

it's GM, they don't have to explain shit

muh vette.

I have grille vents that look like bumper sections, I don't have to explain shit.

I know a fair amount of it was because Europe had much more lighting regulation than the US did. So we got the bare minimum for cost savings; I'm sure full glass lenses were much more expensive to make than a plastic housing with 3rd party sealed beams.

Same fucking thing on my W126.
Regulations back then obliged any US cars to have sealed beams while european where years ahead in term of light technology.

The US spec MGB had thick rubber blocks to lift the body up so the headlights met some height regulation. This made the car awful to drive AND ugly. BL should have died sooner.

Mercs and BMWs also look ok with the murribarge bumpers. I think its just muh gdm fags that get butthurt about it.

>Europe had much more lighting regulation than the US did
But Europe weren't the ones mandating sealed beams and fixed headlight height.

Reddit: the car

Yup. And then they flat-out banned any imports of newer cars.

Meanwhile in europe, we can drive whatever the fuck we want, so long as it passes a yearly inspection, and even that's exempted for cars that are old enough. You can drive goddamn steam tractors or tanks on the road legally, if you've got the right license.
'Rolling coal' is the best Americunts can get, while you can literally run a steam-powered coal-fuelled vehicle on european roads.
Pic related is 100% entirely road legal. Although since it's top speed is something like 20MPH, you'd have to really want to.

Europe isn't one country, you island monkey fuck.

Hell, pic related is also entirely 100% legal, and it's got a more reasonable top speed.

Similar regulations all the way through. Even the tightest, most stringent regulations allow for WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT to be driven on the road, so long as you're licensed and it's registered and you have third party insurance in case you run over any errant cars.

Tanks are road legal, to the point where pic related was able to be just driven to the show rather than loaded onto a truck and hauled there and unloaded.

Batmobile/10

>Similar regulations all the way through.
No.
>Even the tightest, most stringent regulations allow for WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT to be driven on the road, so long as you're licensed and it's registered and you have third party insurance in case you run over any errant cars.
No. In case of tanks Germany actually doesn't allow the private road registration of armored former military vehicles for whatever reason. Tracked vehicles are road legal though with differing top speed depending on the presence of suspension and/or rubber trackpads.

And there we have why I voted in favour of leaving. Fuck germany and their nazi regulations. I should be allowed to own and drive a tank if I want to!

Yeah its a shame really. In 2015, the police seized the Panther tank of an older gentlemen living near me. It was known to authorities for years that he had it, but because he had other war weaponary (mortar, Flak, torpedo) which wasn't properly demilitarized, they pulled it all out of his basement. He will probably never see it again. :(

Was he also jailed for possessing "antisemitic relics", or somesuch?

Kek. I would not be surprised.
Germans are such cucks.

No, the weapons were not demilitarised correctly.

>Tanks are road legal

Pretty sure you need rubberized tracks for that though

Jesus fucking christ they better but this stuff in a museum at least. There's no way they could soullessly just scrap this stuff off.

>But user. There's no place for this raycis, regressive stuff. Look forward! :)

apex vettador

who did this, fucking nader? (big fag)

The fuck are you saying. Are you seriously talking about europe as if it were one country?

>we can drive whatever the fuck we want
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha no

that's not even the worst import countach

It's been quite a while since I had to take french lessons in school, but I thought "le car" = bus and "la voiture" = car
This clearly isn't a bus

Seriously though.
>have diving board e30
>ask people how to reallign the bumper shrouds
>JUST GET THE EURO BUMPERS BRO
>I actually kind like the USDM bumpers
>JUST DO A PLASTIC BUMPER SWAP (instead of realigning a bumper shroud)
Worst part about unashamedly owning a diving board E30. People will actually take the time to hack up the rear bumper of a pre-88 E30 just to have plastic bumpers, instead of just starting with a plastic bumper car.

Just check the EU and US Volkswagen Passat. The difference is mindbogging. EU is a genuinely top notch quality mid-size sedan, US is a piece of shit nobody would poke with a stick.

well that's just a dumb mod while the bumpers were mandated