/xcg/ - XCOM General

Beats edition

Last squadwipe: News:
1) Long War Studios are at it again, surprise
>xcom.com/news/long-war-2-mod-coming-to-xcom-2-on-pc

2) XCOM2 has released for consolefriends

3) Long War Studios has released the Long War Alien Pack, with one more mod to come:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577474474

4) Julian Gollop is still working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression. Set for release in 2018.
>phoenixpoint.info/
>eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-29-watch-we-ask-the-creator-of-xcom-about-his-next-game-phoenix-point

EXPANSION STATUS: UNKNOWN

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

/xcg/ XCOM 2 Character Pool:
>docs.google.com/document/d/12XvY-C-RoQZUexxauBXcCsw1jElq-g8TaCNpLgG2atM/edit

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

XCOM2 modlist, updated a bunch of threads ago!
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

MEGA Mod Repository, now contains all of the mods in the modlist!
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Modlist Steam Collection - Contains 99% of the mods in the modlist:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756115171

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p):
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN
Piratez mod for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Beats for slaying ayys:
youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0xBCwkg3E
youtube.com/watch?v=tNveMjoSxp0
youtube.com/watch?v=pzExFrZ9vX4

Other urls found in this thread:

usgamer.net/articles/interview-the-death-of-interceptors-iron-man-mode-and-xcom-2s-next-step
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pistols are useful

Which ones guys?
I'm leaning towards Never panic
No flank. I was in full cover but bulbs dont care apparently.

XCOM 1 and XCOM 2 are both canon, stop spreading mis-information

what is this picture?
In the middle of a hurricane?
Does xcom2 have weather effects to influence the battle?

Never panic is better. +2 on medkits is nothing considering how hard most enemies hit. Besides, a normal medkit will heal your rookies fully, and you shouldn't be getting hit anyway.

XCOM 1 is but isn't canon at the same time. The enemies you encounter, the weapons/tech you develop, and the characters are all canon. But the way the story goes past maybe the first few missions is not.

No, you don't know what you are talking about. XCOM 1 victory is canon, this is stated by the devs.
>: Yeah, I view it as – you can already hear the designer bullshit coming out in my voice, but – this is the way I view it, and I think it’s fair, when we were talking about this idea we were like,"You know, the setting for XCOM 2 is actually going to be if XCOM lost the first game." And I think a lot of people had this reaction of, "Wait a minute, I just invested all this time and I beat XCOM." To me it feels like every time you start a new game of XCOM, you’re kind of spinning off an alternate universe – and so, in the worlds where you beat XCOM, there just never was an XCOM 2, you know? This is just in case somebody actually lost a game of XCOM, which has happened, and this is a chance to go to that world and try it out.
>t. Jake Solomon

usgamer.net/articles/interview-the-death-of-interceptors-iron-man-mode-and-xcom-2s-next-step

I shouldn't find this attractive. Then again I shouldn't find snakes that want to kill me attractive either.

>Schrodinger's canon
>It both is and isn't until stated otherwise from the writers

off to Bollywood!

That makes no sense but it does makes sense at the same time.

Except Jake Solomon is fucking retarded because he apparently doesn't even know that the Losing Ending in EU isn't even similar to how its presented in 2. Don't say its alternate universes where you lose when the lose state doesn't even lead into the next game.

>Don't listen to the writer on what is canon, listen to me
For real. It's not difficult, the canon defeat in X1 is different than the canon defeat in X2. Alternate Universe. There isn't room for debate when canon is literally what the writers say it is.

You dont have to physically collet the meld?
I just have to kill the ayys before they run out?
cool

Yeah, and don't be afraid to let the meld go. It's not terribly important in the early game.

>You know, the setting for XCOM 2 is actually going to be if XCOM lost the first game
But how you lost in XCOM 2 is a completely different series of events than how you lost in 1. How the story of EU progresses according to XCOM 2 isn't even the same.
Then an Alternate Universe thats not EU's actual storyline and ending is canon, not EU itself.

Then you've said it yourself, EU's story isn't canon to 2.

I don't think you understand what alternate universe means. The important part is that xcom lost in X2, not how they lost. Even if I accepted your argument, it would just mean that only the XCOM 1 victory is canon.

Yeah, but XCOM 1 is still canon. That's the point, they are both canon, because they both have different canons. Like I said at the very beginning.

Or its possible how X2 presents it is a retcon. Who fucking knows at this point, I just wish he didn't write himself into a corner on the continuity here.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

Then thats what I also meant here I was talking about in relation to X2 about whats canon not overall. Should've stated that, apologies.

>Who fucking knows at this point
>When we literally already know
They can make XCOM 3 a sequel to a XCOM 1 victory, and XCOM 4 a sequel to XCOM 2 and there would no issue.

Okay yeah I see what your saying.

Its a street light, I think

>>They can make XCOM 3 a sequel to a XCOM 1 victory, and XCOM 4 a sequel to XCOM 2 and there would no issue.

That sounds reasonable but having to wait that much more time for a new TFtD would be quite painful.

>They can make XCOM 3 a sequel to a XCOM 1 victory
While they could I feel like they won't so people don't get even more confused. Also I don't even know where they'd go from there since the big bad Elder gets blasted in the Victory ending and his whole monologue throughout the missions makes him out as the head of it all.

nth for not shutting the fuck up about valkyria chronicles

it wasn't supposed to end like this ;_;

>XCOM 3 is a sequel to both XCOM 1 and XCOM 2 because beating the ayys still means you need to go through TFTD regardless
tee hee

Any update on the progress of those rainbow six siege dudes i need them?

Oh god no we don't need a 3rd timeline

We'll just merge them :^)

The next XCOM is most likely to be a direct sequel to 2 with the way 2 ends.

Argentina and brits already pissed
I could only do 1 rescue out of 3 pls no bully

will this reduce britbong panic?

Yeah I agree.

That's just how it works, don't worry about it.

If it's in Britain. Better get down there before they have all the fun.

That's what satellites are for.
>an alien attack in the United Kingdom
Yes. But you should do it either way. Don't bring rookies, bring lots of explosives and a medkit for poison.

What's the best starting location in EW?

>there are mods to use lower tier weapon skins for the higher tier weapons
>No mod to use the lower tier armor skins for the upper tiers

Fuck you game I want to use shirtless Australians the entire playthrough I dont want to have to use your shitty looking warden armor

But theres a mod for both of those though
If we're talking about X2 anyway.

yup was in britain
Lost my sniper to Thinmint crit and poison

Second this.

Any news on that?

which one?

Defence. The aim only applies to full cover, but the defence applies to half cover as well.
Well at least you got a replacement sniper who's probably higher rank

Defense. Its easy to get gigantic aim bonusses in the lategame, but cover bonus stays the same

Is there? I havent been able to find it, there is nothing on the workshop or in the modlist

As much as I want to know what happened to the Volunteer I have to agree to that.

Also, nice oic.

Better to get these early yeah?

am i tacticool yet

>Whatever. But I know the Commander, because he is my pal. Dont think you know something about the Commander!

Japan has american barns?

Yes, but Satellites are better to get early. Don't listen to the rappers, more money actually gives you less problems.
Usually people start training a new A Team later in the game just to take more advantage of the Iron Will.

How you guys name your squadmates? Do you sometimes name few after friends, guildmates from different games, fictional people and such?

I often name characters in SP games after people from my GW2 guild, because of memories, but I laso heard that this is kinda stupid and disgusting.

well it is a US colony

No, America has Japanese barns. Baka.

I'll start saving up for Sats
Built a workshop for more Engi

This sniper they gave me is pretty legit. Squad sight is dope now that I now how to use it.

I use everything you said there and throw in some historical figures. Also past rando xcom soldiers who stood out in my campaings from any of the xcom/x-com games.

always have a squaddie named after me, the rest are carried over vet soldiers from other campaigns that did well and the 2 skyranger pilots

At first I didnt planned to make a rookie named after me, but guildmate asked why, so I made one. When I started the game, in operation Gatecrasher I noticed that game randomized me 3 random guys and "my" character. Game tried to tell me something or what?

If I would know, tho, I would dress her more... maidenly.

>George "Cherry Tree" Washington
>John "Hannibal" Smith
>user Ymous
>Victor "The Monster" Frankenstein
>Literally Me
>Henry Jekyll
>Edward Hyde
>John "Beags" Teasdale
Shit like that. Mostly fictional people or famous people. Sometimes I'll name some after friends/family and laugh when they die.

>Already two months after last type of enemy appear in X2
>All research done
>Still too afraid to do Rulers mission and unleash them because Im too afraid of "special move rule" ability

H-hug me ;_;

Still haven't lost anyone but the time I nearly did it was also in danger of being a wipe. I credit it to being the first time I've ever dealt with an Avatar which didn't help when there was also 4 Mutons.
I'm glad I still have Heal Faster on HQ because actually having an A-Team member out for a month would suck ass.

That was also the first time I've ever had to use more than 2 Nanomedikits, I used all 4.

> but I laso heard that this is kinda stupid and disgusting.
from what kind of anti-fun police did you heard that from?

>30 days

Thats why you build AWC asap.

Another guy from the guild. Just one, but it really made me sad.

At this point I'm surprised nothing has been ported from The Bureau, especially the firearms and GI uniforms.

Unfortunately you would be right.

he is probably an alien in secret

I agree with this

good?
Bad?
I threw a Sat or Argentina because they were yellow and scared. next will go over brazil unless anything bad happens elsewhere.

Seems like you are doing much better. And yes, the general strategy is too prioritize who gets a satellite by how much they are panicking.

move out of the way for the operator bith
avdent's shitting itself

I wish I would know anything about animations, so I would make those classes already...

Imagine VC Scout, with one of the final abilities being grenede launcher, combined with mobility and dodge focused skills.

Or Shocktrooper, speccing either as stationary heavy gunner or agile commando with flamethrower.

N-no, thats not possible!

Thanks to you guys
I only need 2 Sats to get South Americas Torture bonus so thats neat.
Might go for europe next.

I'm an obsessive writefag so all my troopers are original characters with fleshed-out backstories and personalities.

P-Progress

Disabling Shot or Battle Scanner for a sniper?

I accidentally gave my Assault tac Sense. Not sure if aggression would've been better.

Is it possible to get higher than an A?
S?

>Sometimes I'll name some after friends/family and laugh when they die.

Do you need to talk about something, user?

I prefer disabling shot as it lets you neuter Sectopods, and mimetic skin will take care of your scouting needs.

Personally I like disabling shot because it's basically guaranteed to shut down 1 enemy for a turn, which is fantastic for high health, big damage dudes.
Aggression is great for those rapid fire crit assault builds.

A+

XCOM 2 LONG WAR WANT

I want a "tier 0" weapon system, where recruits bring Dad's old /k/ommando arsenal.

"Tier 1" is advent trooper standard issue, salvaged from the battlefield.

"Tier 2" is mag weapons that can't be manufactured until a workshop is built

I don't want the avenger to be XCOM Base 2.0, I really want it to be an allegory to the resistance- stolen ayy tech held together by hate

Covering Fire or Sprinter for Support?

Sprinter. Covering fire sucks

Covering fire is awful. Taking an overwatch shot is .7 already then you factor in the 30 to 40 defense from cover and you get a waste of ammo and turn.

Good thing I chose Sprinter

This survivor looks like those Exalt dicks
Can I torture him?

You're required to. It's better this way.

My Assault can get Lightning Reflexes or Up Close and Personal

My support can get Field Medic or Smoke and Mirrors

I'm thinkning UC&P because he's a shotgunner and Smoke and Mirrors to mitigate damage in the first place instead of reacting towards it.

Lightening reflexes is pretty good. Smoke and mirrors is definitely the better choice.

I have 2 Sats incoming but theyre 12 days away
I'm getting nervous.

Off to the final mission
Press [F] to pay respects

rate my memorial wall

DEUS VULT.jpg

>that scroll bar
stallin would be proud
also
>all those watership down soldiers,
how fitting