Car for NEET

I live off of SSDI and SNAP and I need a reliable car for under $4,000. I'm disabled so I can't do much maintenance or repairs by myself.

I would prefer if the car could get at least 22mpg and it needs to be able to drive handle snow.

What would be the best car for this situation?

Other urls found in this thread:

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5941881835.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5959611608.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably a Corolla or Civic.

I'd suggest a smaller pickup truck as far as reliability and ease of entry go.

What year specifically?

If the car is valued too highly I risk losing my food stamps.

Not that guy, but I'd suggest something from the late 90s.

Nissan Sentra is a good choice.

Depending on where you are, you can probably find a 90s 4x4 Toyota Tacoma for a decent price.
Not the best in terms of gas mileage, but it will be reliable, good in the snow, and there aren't many cars that are cheaper to repair.

Aren't you the guy who lives in Maine?

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5941881835.html
This is for him.

Hurry up and buy this one.
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5959611608.html

If he's disabled there's a good chance he can't drive stick.

Seems like a pretty big generalization, but it's hard to tell.

This, explain so we can know

Driving stick requires a decent amount of coordination and fine control of all your limbs.
It's not hard for an able-bodied person, but when your knees are bad, or anything is wrong with any limb, it gets much harder.

Ah right, didn't think about that.

01-05 civic

You do not need a car. Have you considered a bicycle?

I have a 1998 honda accord.

The door locks are always finicky, but apart from that the car has never had any mechanical problems.

mine only cost me $3000

>asking why a disabled person has never considered a bike
SOunds like you're mentally disabled yourself

lexus ls400s and sc400s motors never die. those things will clear 350k easy

Maybe it's a fat disability and they can do with the exercise.

miata

>If the car is valued too highly I risk losing my food stamps.
Are we talking book value (nada price guide, kelly blue book) or the sale value reported to the DMV?

Is $4001 too high, but $4000 is okay? Why that threshold? I thought the SNAP rules only cared about income or proceeds from sales (e.g. you sold property and made money).

Regarding cars... talk with friends, check Yelp, etc.., to find car repair shops with good reputations. Tell the shop owners you're looking for a reliable and inexpensive used car, and your price requirements. Independent shop owners (not Sears, Dealerships) sometimes know customers very well and know about reliable cars people want to sell just to buy something new. In any case, you'll want the assistance of a mechanic to inspect your potential purchase. I mean we could tell you that 1998 was a good year for a Honda Accord, but that doesn't mean the $1500 one on your local craigslist won't be a horror show.

To the aforementioned Civic and Corolla, add a Mazda 3. I'd avoid a Sentra, I was never a fan personally, but better than nothing.

But really, those are your 4 main choices. You could also add the Chevy/Geo Prizm to that list, because it's just a rebadged Corolla. Not being a "Toyota", even though it's the exact same fucking car, they are usually a good bit cheaper.

There are Federal guidelines for vehicles as personal assets under medicaid-like programs, the limits are $4500 set by the Kelly Blue Book wholesale value or NADA market value. The $4500 limit was set in 1977, it would be over $11000 if it were inflation adjusted, which it isn't. Also if you report buying a vehicle over the limit, the state just recalculates your benefits as if the excess amount was income.

I love unintended consequences.

>I live off of SSDI

How did you get it? Can you really get it with the depression and anxiety memes?

He can't afford a german money pit, man.

S10.

>handle snow
I'll mention that while Subaru makes interesting and very capable snow and ice handling cars, once they're out of the manufacturer's warranty they can be much more expensive to maintain than an Honda or Toyota.

I would consider a 1st-gen Honda CRV (1997-2001) or a 1st-gen Toyota RAV4 (1995-2000). Either one, make sure the 90K-mile(and 180K if applicable) timing belt/water-pump service has been done.

>German
>Every car listed is Japanese

Hmmm

An Hyundai accent or elantra

>no one ever looks at the sticky
GEO METRO
E
O

M
E
T
R
O

If you can find one that isn't rotted to shit.

2000ish corolla/prizm cheap and the fuckers never die

they're errywhere in CA

THIS

FWD does decent in snow, i doubt you'll want the extra expense of AWD
>always have to replace all 4 tires as a selt
>extra parts, extra cost
as far as shop maintenance goes, it will never get cheaper than the corolla/prizm family
>1-2K purchase, reliable as fuck
Honorable mentions:
Dodge Neon: fast, cheap, unreliable
Nissan Sentra: cheap IF maintained, not fast
Ford Focus: cheap/mildly fast
Honda Civic: expensive initial purchase, cheap maintenance IF MAINTAINED, can be mildly fast