/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Demoday XII is upon us. May God have mercy with us, because the tierlist won't.

> Previous Thread
> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Next Demo Day 12
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Play Dinosaur Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

> Engines
tools.aggydaggy.com/engines

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

hastebin.com/oqekalizir.cs
hastebin.com/izedezubed.cs
a.uguu.se/mskJ62zQVUlU_understand.webm
u.nya.is/ikbuuc.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=9K_Lcf9g_C4
phygon.itch.io/vr-portal-demo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bracing for disappointment

>raw OpenGL

>> Engines
>tools.aggydaggy.com/engines
>> Models/art/textures/sprites
>opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures
>> Free audio
>freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org

make good games

I want to play the cooking game, the medieval mecha game, the squad RTS game, some others that I forgot!

It's obviously not important to you, else you would have created a thread with the correct OP at 750.

DD XII Reminder:
- Name all your shit the same. Let the game, the exe, the zip, the game page share the same name
- Zip the folder, not the files
- No installers!
- If it's not your game's first Demo Day, let us know what you've progressed, so we can bug test what's new

>tripfag OP shitposting
Filtered.

>tfw you literally copy and paste code and it doesn't work

>May God have mercy with us, because the tierlist won't
My hype is ready, the tierposters is the only opinion that conveys true brutal AGDG-style feedback anymore

That's not really surprising.

Fuggiest bug I ever encountered was text being presented in a Blackboard style online classroom webapp, and the code to copy was converted somehow so quotes became something that looked like quotes but wasn't recognized by the IDE as such.

>tierposters
What? I can only recall one or two from the past DDs. It doesn't seem to be a thing.

>It doesn't seem to be a thing.
>tierlists
>not a thing in agdg
Tierlists are the essence of agdg feedback. That they have receded to only demo days is a shame. We need tierposters to post more often.

definitely a cartoon of a frog

she does have shadows but it's pretty subtle. does .4 look better?

>tierposter's opinion
seeing your game improve in an anonymous strangers eyes is a very motivating feel

normally it'd be bad to put any kind of weight on one persons opinion over anyone elses because muh imageboard culture, but since anyone can post their personal tiers, its at least some kind of feedback beyond seeing your download count tick up

Why does she have a "what I've seen could kill lesser men" look on the 3rd?

hastebin.com/oqekalizir.cs

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with this script for a Character Controller in Unity?

I'm having difficulty rotating a camera around this object whilst having this object move relative to the camera's rotation. It just starts spazzing out.

Thats a nice way to share code

There's a feedback loop of some kind, so knowing only the controller code won't help. The camera code is needed too.

Have you first tried both the camera and the controller separately, to verify that the problem is in the interaction, and not just un one of the components?

2pretentious4me

He should have typed it out, like any other beginner

DRAMATIC SHADOWS

>- No installers!

What do you suggest with a Unity based project? Standalone exec?

Ah shit yeah I should've provided the Camera code.

hastebin.com/izedezubed.cs

The controller runs fine (aside from some minor problems like falling on slopes but that's easily fixable)
When I activate the camera code all hell breaks loose.

I'd just like to have a rotatable camera with the player moving relative to the camera's orientation but I feel as if I'm going about this the wrong way.

I can't help you today because DD, but if you're still stuck on this later, I'll look into it.

Unity also has the new collab feature, testing in situ is much easier, if you can trust someone not to fuck up your project.

Just a little playground/testing project atm so I can get more comfortable with the project so I don't really mind sharing any of the files.

I don't know, maybe it's the mouth that makes it look flat. The higher opacity shadow certainly helps though.

>tfw you see a drawing of a character being sad and it makes you sad

empathy is shit

>trying this hard to validate your shitty tier list feedback
If only you put this kind of effort into making a game instead

t. shit-tier

ok, I really am down to help you code this but, demo day! post again in a few days

It's what makes us human

I'm ready for people to ignore my game and call it a walking simulator!

Hey Tracy dev, can you give your little frog a chance to say

>Kero kero
>(I'm practicing my Japanese)

>May God have mercy with us, because the tierlist won't.
Fuck "the" tierlist no single feedback posting user here should feel that they are somehow an official rating just because they make some gay little photoshop collage.

Alright it's been a while since I've used Unity, but pray tell are you in the same coordinate space everywhere? Like you tell the camera to LookAt the player, but the player's transform is local?

Added some effects to make it a little more visible what's actually happening. Mouse over makes the piece you're over and the pieces you can effect wiggle, clicking sends out a pulse that flips the pieces. Link for sound.

a.uguu.se/mskJ62zQVUlU_understand.webm

there have been no memetastic tierlists for like 2 demodays now
give it a break

I don't like the shading.
.1 or maybe .2 would be fine.

I believe so. How would I check so I can confirm this?

Fuck it, if I'm gonna make an AGDG 12 banner, I need a recap of all of the characters. There better damn be 12 of them.

>all of the characters. There better damn be 12 of them
Who is eligible?

I think it's safe to say there's going to be one with all this shilling for it

-> YES.txt

I'm definitely going to have contextual and random dialogue, this is a good one

yeah, I textured her with unlit style in mind, so it makes sense. the game used to look like this

>I need a recap of all of the characters
The thing hasn't even started yet. We don't know yet what characters it'll have.

>12
Try 48

>game doesn't have a web player
NEXT

Set my alarm early tomorrow in order to play all of the demoday 12 games and give feedback (ノヮ)ノ*:・゚

>game is not advanced enough for a demo
>need to take a break from it anyway
Now's a good opportunity to use the DD deadline as a personal jam and try to make a side jam demo before it ends.

What's a good way to hide or otherwise wrap the
SDL_PollEvent(&event) code you see in tutorial (like lazyfoo)?

Should I create various Event classes that correspond with whatever I'm concerned with? Like Keyboard_Event, Window_Event and deal with those in some sort of Event_Handler?

The main thing is that I don't want a loop with bare SDL calls in my main game loop. I want something more like:
events.update()
keyboard.update(events)
mouse.update(events)
gamepads.update(events)

Or something where on a per-frame basis "events" or equivalent is updated with all SDL events from that frame, which are then passed to the various handlers for types of input (mouse, keyboard, etc). This is to capture all info I need in nice little contained classes.

Does this approach seem reasonable or could someone give some advice here please?

>Get running in a day with gamemaker what took me 3 with monogame

Hmmm... on the one hand, I'm not a real programmer if I use gamemaker. On the other hand I get to make a game while working a full-time job. Choices.

The other systems shouldn't know about the concrete inputs. They should just take abstract inputs, i.e. what you get after applying bindings, sensitivity, etc.

Also realize that very few systems need input at all, just the UI and the player, really.

That's not a choice. That's choosing between being hip and making progress. If the engine you're using doesn't work well with the game you're making, and another engine does, use that engine.

Ignore idiots who tell you X engine is universally bad if it works fantastic for the game you're making.

>I'm not a real programmer
Who cares?

All non agdg programmers are rich while proud engine programmers have no games.

The only reason I care is because I'm a full-time developer and programming a game engine along with the game seems like a good way to brush up on skills and concepts I might not necessarily run in to during my job, keeping me sharp in an industry where the weak toil away for peanuts and get stepped over.

Oh yes, I know. This is just the first stage of input. These classes capture the state of the input at that frame (Mouse has a position, an is_down bool, etc, Keyboard has an array of bools for all keys). These would be fed through another stage that takes that info and processes it a bit more (turns the current "is_down" into a "was_pressed"/"was_released".
At some point this will tie in with the abstract input (run, jump, etc).

For the time being I'm worried about this and getting rid of an ugly loop with swtich statement from the middle of my main game loop.

If you're doing it for your portfolio, do it for your portfolio. If you're doing it to make a game, do whatever makes that game fastest and most efficiently.

A full game tends to look better than a tech demo on a portfolio -- unless you're demonstrating something that's not very often seen.

After all, I'm going to be far more impressed if you shipped a game that you made over having a bunch of tech demos but no actual shipped-games to show fo rit.

>The only reason I care is because I'm a full-time developer
>an industry where the weak toil away for peanuts
This is why I just work in corporate America and make games on the side. You could be earning twice as much working half as hard, and have enough money to dev whatever you want.

>All non agdg programmers are rich
Who besides hopoo has ever gotten rich here? 50k in sales is not rich.

I personally didn't get rich, but our games did make enough money that the studio stayed open for eight and a half years with everybody involved getting paid salary and us being able to contract out for essentials when needed. Even had a marketing budget to play with on our second game.

Even if that game uses a pre-made engine? I don't necessarily care about a portfolio, my job allows me to pad my resume with some really noteworthy things by itself, and my github is up-to-date with my own smaller personal projects and PRs to open source projects. If having a shipped product is a huge plus even if it's not built with a more low level framework, then that's another big pro to switching to an engine and probably the decider for me.

Peanuts is a relative term :^) I always want more.

I don't want to make a game for the money. I want to learn, but I want to learn about more than just programming. The entire process of creating and releasing a product is something I also want to learn. Besides even if 50k isn't rich it'd kill my student debt hurr.

>Even if that game uses a pre-made engine?

I will only care if you're applying to be an engine dev. Granted, that is also one of the highest paying positions in game companies -- and also one of the most hair greying.

That seems incredibly overengineered and potentially inefficient.

Even if you want to separate it so it isn't directly in your main loop, there's no reason to split it up into classes like that. Just have all your input APIs put events into a single stream and then have the abstract input bindings pull from that stream.

But hair-greying programming is the most fun programming... 5 years from now if I'm not doing way more challenging things I'm going to be fucking pissed with my entire career.
Fuck, the only thing is time. Devving for 8 hours at work and then coming home to enginedev is going to burn me out and leave me with a fraction of the progress I could be making.

There's room to move around in most game companies. If you want to bite off something bigger after you get in the door as a tech. designer, there's paths for that if you show you've got the skills to pay the figurative bills.

At least in most companies that's the case. Besides, there's always the golden parachute option of working for a company for a while until you've got some big reserves saved up -- and then you bail, start your own company up after your no-compete expires, and use those savings to make the games you wanted to while you were working there. Lots and lots of AAA devs ejecting from companies these days to start up their own studios.

less shading is better.

Hmm... could you explain that a bit more?

I'll try to reason about my thoughts a bit too, for clarification (and a bit of rubber-duck programming).

My idea that there are multiple modes of input (at this point I'm only worried about mouse, keyboard and gamepad, though I could see adding touch in the future).
These interact in different ways and have different meaningful properties.
Mouse has a position and multiple states of buttons up and down, as well as a scroll wheel to think about.
Keyboard has a large number of buttons up or down.
Gamepads have axes, a dpad, and a variety of buttons as well.

SDL lets me query the states of these devices most of the time, however some states are only observable through SDL_Events (namely if a Gamepad is added or removed during runtime or if the scroll wheel of the mouse is moved).

I want to be able to store the current states of the devices as well as edge-triggered latches during the frames the buttons are either pressed or released. It'd also be pertinent to have timers for how long something has been held, etc.

I somehow need a unifying "stream", as you put it, where these inputs are temporarily stored.
This could potentially be as simple as a struct of vectors which gets cleared and new events pushed onto it every frame, yes? Then this needs to be analyzed to determine the edge-triggers and timers I mentioned above.

Then the abstract inputs should pull from the processed inputs, not the raw input? And if so, how do I go about structuring all this?

I wish I had the guts to do that. Or even just try to get a job in the games industry. I just can't get over the fact that there's no rational reason for me to try to break into an industry that is objectively worse in every measurable way. Less benefits, worse pay, zero job security, and worse hours than what I already do.

>working on game
>suddenly power goes out

You seem to know what you're talking about. I know there's a LOT I don't know about programming, but I'm dedicated to it and I care a lot about constantly keeping up the pace of my learning and pushing myself forward. Do you think it'd be more beneficial to release something, or to continue to get more programming experience through engine devving? I've been full-time for about 2.5 Years doing software engineering for various startups, and 1 Year as a full-stack web developer; my goal is to eventually gain enough experience to take on more technical, architectural lead roles. Something that makes going into work feel fun, something tough.

Right now I'm leaning toward switching to an engine like GM2 and doing my best to release something polished by the end of the year, but if that would be meaningless when the goal is to advance in the industry then pls let me know now lol

Thanks for reminding me to back up my game.

Never happens to me
Laptop dev here

>2pretentious4me
Im saying, that site has a nice layout and color scheme and the line numbers are also nice

Are you mad about something?

Not that guy, but are you in university or maybe freshly out?
I'm graduating in May and have had a few internships working as a web dev and it fucking blows. For every single internship I've had it's essentially been cleaning up other people's shit when bugs come in.
Also webdev just blows, it's no fun. I love dealing with lower level languages. I want something tough too. Something where efficiency matters. I think embedded systems might be more my speed, if only there were an actual market for that in my area...

>3rd world problems

Here's a daring question:

What if you could only switch equipment at check/save points?

Before you go meh: I'm probably planning to include only a couple of armor sets (e.g. leather, chain, plate, cloth), however each of them has an impact on the playstyle (plate armour offers protection, however it is too heavy to make far jumps or climb in, chain offers more protection against blades than leather but it's making a lot of noise to move around in it, making sneaking harder, cloth makes you nimble but e.g. fire attacks absolutely wreck you etc etc).
By making the equipment screen only available at save points I want to force the player to think ahead, think about things he saw in the area, maybe retry certain areas with a different loadout to reach different places, or sneak by certain enemies.

What do you think?

The exe and the data folder inside a parent folder, and zip the parent folder

It's a rough place that's not for everyone, that's for damn sure. You're absolutely right about it being a shit-industry for pay and benefits in nearly all companies -- the tradeoff is you get to do the thing you love with people who also love to do the thing you love.

If that's not a huge motivator for you and you've got real technical or artistic skill, and you're not working contract, then I'd argue to stay the hell out and keep it as a hobby or something you do on the side.

Although some places might have better hours than what you've got right now, depending. Some companies actively encourage folks to bail out if they need to decompress -- but those are the studios typically set up by said golden parachute devs haha.

Results speak louder than portfolio pieces -- unless you've got a really really good portfolio piece. If you're churning out Narbacular Drops and nobody knows, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not shouting that from the rooftops in your portfolio.

You might be surprised how high you might be able to get with your experience though. A lot of companies hiring 'lead engineers' are really just hiring people who're competent enough that they can produce results -- even if that means dipping in to the asset store etc.

Lots of studios are still picking up assets like nGUI for their projects - the more you can mod code like that and make things do what they need, the more hireable you'll be for a lot of the smaller studios.

The best way to advance in the industry is to be attached to projects that sell really well, make a lot of good friends, and deliver solid and consistent results. And be lucky.

Also avoid internships like the plague if you've got real skill. Instead, try to do contract work.

Hm, yeah, that's sensible. That's what I'll do then.

Oh yeah it's pretty much supposed to be a free roaming dungeon crawler á la King's Field/Arx Fatalis.

No, I've been graduated for about 3 years now and had some pretty good jobs where I've had a lot of responsibility. My current job is definitely a step down though. Webdev definitely sucks, but at least when I was doing webdev it was more than just html/javascript since I had to write the backends too.

I guess it'd be a question of how sparely placed the checkpoints are, Junge.
Not sure how I'd like that myself. If you pick up a new piece of armor from a chest, is it suddenly only accessible from a checkpoint?

Could be gud. It's like choosing your equipment before a mission in Hitman.

>Unity also has the new collab feature
/agdg/ collab when?

Seriously though that would be so dope for getting help/pair programming/debugging

>I want to be able to store the current states of the devices as well as edge-triggered latches during the frames the buttons are either pressed or released. It'd also be pertinent to have timers for how long something has been held, etc.
If you do this for every single input, that will add up to a lot of wasted effort. Do it as needed, i.e. at the abstract level.

You shouldn't be thinking even of having the abstract input correspond to a specific button/axis/whatever and be stateful and generate all edge events. The abstract input should specifically be either a state or an event. An abstract event can be bound directly to a concrete event, but an abstract state needs to be bound to two events (typically press/release of the same button). Though you can also have abstract events based on axis thresholds, abstract axes that take two buttons (e.g. being able to bind left thumbstick X and A+D to the same abstract input), etc.

>This could potentially be as simple as a struct of vectors which gets cleared and new events pushed onto it every frame, yes?
Sure. Most inputs are going to come from events in practice. That's pretty standard. There's very few platform APIs I've seen that force you to poll the state of input (XInput being the major outlier, but SDL handles that). I suppose you could have both event-based devices and stateful devices exposed for translation to abstract input but I haven't thought of how that would work.

>/agdg/ collab when?
When it's not bound to fail within minutes. So never.

max 5 users, so we cant go hog wild with it. also there is a 25 gb limit on their free cloud storage, and no clear way to use your own. so its a trap to buy storage from them

lel, rekt

>gay little photoshop collage
wait what? post it.
Having progress ignored sucks, even someone calling your work shit in a /v/-style way is at least an acknowledgement that an attempt was made

Alright boys

today's a sunday so im taking a break
tell me what you think:
u.nya.is/ikbuuc.mp4

Generally speaking in games you use a save point before you get a chance to scope out what's ahead of you. If you're hand designing levels you can probably build around this though: Here's the introduction, now save and get your gear, now here's the challenge+twist

Then the possible failure mode: what keeps a player from playing as far as they can through a level, then backtracking back to the save point to get a loadout? That's tedious because they have to redo areas, and they've trivialized the puzzle. I'm reminded of some of the older pokemon games that gave you free infinite healing if you were willing to hike back to town and how unfun that made things.

What? no, senpai
demo day is about proffering an executable, its practical production/release experience

Don't be so hardline about it. Just impose a carry limit and have infinite global storage at checkpoints.

that's an excellent mechanic with a fitting aesthetic. need some gameplay suggestions? how bout some eyes can only be swapped a certain number of times? some eyes can only be swapped from a certain direction? maybe some eyes can reflect the goo around corners? some eyes could be moving along a path and the player would need to time his goo launch. maybe some eyes need to be goo'ed in a certain order?

>Results speak louder than portfolio pieces

And by this I also mean to say I'm more liable to hire on 'the guy who made the combat and dialog portions of The Banner Saga' than I am to hire 'dude who has a neat concept game on his portfolio'.

Hmm... what is an "abstract input" to you then? Maybe I'm misunderstanding that point.
I guess I'm getting tripped up on how to represent any type of input from any of the modes as a single type of input (like in the shitty paint attached), and still have it carry a meaning of what it is and where it came from...

Alright, fuck it then. First priority: Release something.

Through failure, it's likely you'll find success. Just don't expect that success to be guaranteed or soon.

Progress, and a first demo on my portal system (this is more of a tech demo, the asset is good for pretty much anything portal-related)
youtube.com/watch?v=9K_Lcf9g_C4
phygon.itch.io/vr-portal-demo

>First priority: Release something.
It really is. I released two shit mobile games, and people take me way more seriously than somebody who's been working on some complex thing forever and hasn't released squat.

Hell, Tommy Refenes has been working on his own engine for about five years now, and Edmund's release Binding of Isaac, Fingered, BoI: Rebirth, BoI: Afterbirth and BoI: Afterbirth+.

Don't get caught up in technology trickery unless it has an application.

Aside from my character walking backwards I'm making progress