What do you do?

What do you do for a living, especially you younger guys, that allows you to purchase nice, new vehicles, and how did you get there? I'm going to be 23 this year, I've been working since 18, and I've never been able to get hired in places other than fast food and big retail chains. I've got no criminal record, don't do drugs, and I'm white. I've never made over 20k in a year and I've never been scheduled for a 40 hour work week. So needless to say, this is kind of a shitty hobby to enjoy when I can't buy any of the cars I really want. Even an 8,000 car is a pretty long term goal. Is this what I get for not having connections out of high school/being born in the wrong family?

Get a motorcycle

Try working as a bartender/server. I never made less than 45k a year while I was doing that.

I sling dope.

I'm a physicist at company that develops and manufactures brachytherapy sources for treating prostate and other cancers.

I studied nuclear engineering, took 6 years because I switched majors.

My first car was a '90s geo prizm. Currently in the market for a fun, sporty, reliable daily driver and my only car.

After I buy a house and save up some cash I want a 911, and don't ask why but I've always wanted an '02 ws6 trans am.

I drive a Tow truck. Started when I was 22 am 27 now. Did some college but said fuck that it's expensive I'm gonna just find a real job instead.

This is true

also right bikes are cheap as fuck even for nice ones. get nice bike and DD a beater shitbox

What city you live in m8?

One small enough that I'm not saying. Midwest

>Part time mechanic and pizza boy
>Currently trying to find something that's halfway fun, yet not beat to shit for £2000
>Failing hard

Nigga you dont live in fucking Mayberry next door to Opie and Aunt Bee. What city you live in faggot?

What wrx and how is it treating you? Any comments about road noise/cabin quality?
Thinking about a 2017 wrx limited, not sure I need the sti and the newer engine in the wrx vet the sti. Any issues with reliability?

Fabrication shops op

They always need helpers and it's usually 50+ hours a week at $10-$16 an hour

monitoring this thread

>tfw working in academia
>tfw would have to go to grad school and spend the rest of my 20s in a bullshit extended adolescence to keep going
>tfw worried my job will be automated soonish anyway

I'm 21, I decline people for credit for a living and have never bought a "new" car because I don't want to be in debt.
Seriously though, you can land a job making at least 30K a year if you actually apply yourself at all and look for those jobs. The only job I had before this one was a shitty pizza place that didn't even pay me state minimum wage and I was lucky to get what little I made on time. Get a job, keep that job and do everything you can to get into management. Save like a motherfucker and buy a new used car and let someone else suffer the deprecation

15 WRX base
>3inch TBE
>Intake
>looking to get some TGV deletes.

stock speakers are pretty trash but I listen to loud music with windows down. The stock mapping is terrible getting an access port and just using cobbs stage 1 map makes a world of difference with throttle response while getting rid of the rev hang. It's a little stiff ride and a little loud but I don't care about that so it doesn't bother me. I have had 0 problems with mine even with the bolt on shit.

If you are looking to get the CVT I would say stay away. Overall I like it. it does everything I want and should be putting ~320ish whp once i get the TGV deletes and a new tune

Look into warehousing if there is anything nearby. Stay away from warehouse with heavy shit and you will have a cake job.

If you are a hard worker and have a strong back you can get into order selecting and make around 750-900/week. Stay the fuck away from anything to do with grocery stores...both store and warehouse work.

GL m8.

>he blames it on muh connections
If you're uneducated beyond high school you may just have to stick a shit job until you can move up the food chain to become manager. Connections won't even work unless you know somebody works in an industry where you can hold a well paying job without a degree or skill, which is rare.
Go to school or learn a trade, stop blaming something you have no control over and isn't even the real issue.

I'm looking for the 6mt. I just want something fun to daily that's reliable and doesn't have any major flaws/faults.

I'm a lot like you. Never really was able to get any job other than near min wage. Had a few breaks starting last year. Got a warehouse job, it's nice because then you actually have potential to move up in the company they have so many positions in one place. I got my CDL and may not be a career to be in forever, but it is nice to make $18-20/hr and driving some of the largest vehicles around on the street.

Why big manufacturing facilities or anything nearby?
My buddy is basically a big retard, dropped out of college twice and work at us steel. He's gonna make like 80k this year.

i bartend

i make about $150-250 a night, but it's stressful fucking work

i drive a 2012 civic

I think its lots of fun to drive but my car before that was a fucking hunk of shit. Its still to new to really know if they have major faults yet mines only got 30k miles on it.

Mine was only stock for like a month before I got an accessport. The rev hang is the most infuriating thing ever and the stock throttle is weird. half throttle is really full throttle to make the car seem faster than it is. With what is done to it right now its actually faster than stock STI's. Did a roll and a dig against my buddy's 14 hatch. If you are planning on modding for a 600hp monster then the STI is a better choice. I get like 24mpg on the aggressive tune have yet to test my Eco tune but I bet it would do pretty good. while my buddy in intelligent mode in his STI is lucky to get 21.

Im in new zealand, 24 y/o smoke weed like a steam train, drive a rubbish truck, earn 5k in my hand a month, lifes good

>nice new vehicles
Do people on this board actually do this?

Boipucci user?

Yes.

>losing thousands in interest because you don't know how to repair a used vehicle yourself
Holy fuck, user. Hold me.

No, but you can have bikpucci

>wasting ur time repairing a shitbox because you can't afford a car payment
You can pay more than the monthly min and interest rates are so fucking cheap you're retarded not to finance and make 2-5 times greater gains from raping the stock market

I buy new, drive the piss out of it, repair it, drive the piss out of it and repeat till something else new comes along.

I get my money's worth m8 and you get my broken pice of shit. kek.

>losing thousands in interest because you don't know how to repair a used vehicle yourself
What if I bought my brand new car cash? is that /o approved?

>interest
>he doesnt qualify for 0% financing

No, see Time value of money m8

repairing a car IS the interest when you buy used.

What if the cash came from my play money accounts. not my investment accounts?

It's money you're spending that could be invested. The future value is greater if u just invest that money and finance the car.

This man knows how money works. I like you

>What do you do for a living, especially you younger guys
I'm 22 and i'm a logging truck driver. i think i can pretty safely say i clear better money than anyone else here. i work 10-14 hour days usually 5x/week, and start my day when the lights go on at the bar.
>how did you get there
saved my jewgolds and went to trucking school. i kind of got lucky, as I went straight to logging too, i wanted to go into it, and some dude up in northern bc had an idle truck so i went on a few ride alongs and i was in.
>I've never been able to get hired in places other than fast food and big retail chains
do you have any specific skillsets that would make you employable?
Is this what I get for not having connections out of high school/being born in the wrong family?
no, if you don't have any skillsets you don't get to make this excuse
>advice
when i was younger I worked at a VW dealership washing cars. i worked hard and always had a smile on my face, and they offered me a job in the parts department or even in sales if I wanted. I said no, and went trucking, but this could be a good choice for you op if you don't want to shell out to make yourself employable

23 and you haven't gotten any higher education or learned a trade? What the fuck are you doing?

24, I work as a data analyst remotely for a company in SF while in graduate school. Currently making 116k a year or about $55 an hour. Expect to make more after I graduate.

Nope. I'm pretty good at music, pistol shooting, and wood working. But those aren't really in demand. If you ever have a kid who wants to learn an instrument, tell him fuck you and stick a wrench in his hand so he doesn't spend 13 years developing a practically useless skill.

I jumped into college right after high school, that ended up being a multi thousand dollar mistake and waste of two years. I got an associates in education, but it took me that long to figure out I didn't want to be a teacher. Then I had the chance to go to school for music for free, so I thought why the fuck not, I like music and it can't hurt anything because I've got a free ride. Now that's up and I'm back to square one. Will probably end up going back in for mechanic stuff. Still a little annoyed that the jobs I've worked while going to college are the shittiest, bottom of the barrel jobs out there.

I started working for Walmart at a lube tech when I was 19-21 then with my experience I started at Honda which payed me 14$ an hour starting. Not long after that I went to Subaru as a mechanic and now I take home just under 40K$ a year.
I'm a highschool drop out coming from an extremely poor family.
I'm also white.
I'm 23 years old and my car is from 2015.
You can finance a shitbox making 10$ an hour. I don't see how you can't work a 40 hour work week I was working 60 hours a week as a dish washer when I was 18 at the cheesecake factory

I can work 40+ hours a week, the problem is none of the jobs I've had gave me decent hours. I did the working two jobs thing for a little but that was more hassle than it was worth.

Im pretty sure some anons here make more than you, we have a few owner operators here....

This,this,this,this,this. I started a job at a block yard years ago that would offer bonuses based on production and quality. I ran the fucking shit out of my first machine 12 hours a day and did all the maintenance on it as well. Years later I own the block company comprised of 3 sites, with 8 plants total and 2 yards. Never went to college, just worked my ass off and had a little bit of luck.

I worked 2 jobs in 2016.why can't you work 40 hours now? You say you can but you currently aren't?

I joined the army and they gave me $40k. Well closer to 30 after taxes.

I joined at 23. Before it was doing alot of stuff. Right before I day laborer in front of home depot, and on call IT.
Before that I was working at a factory doing 60hrs a week. Really good money, but I couldn't stand working there, I wanted to blow my brains out.

My opinion, move. Just keep moving til you find what you need.

damn nice

what graduate program? what undergrad program? how'd you get the job?

Scarnon mate, got my shit box wrx back on the road, ended up buyimg a second hand loom for $100 and replaced the whole thing, pic related is what it was like behind the dash

Sounds exactly like my city senpai. Is it a tourist trap?

Mail sorters get 14 minimum where I live, and minimum wage is about 8.50. It's all about finding odd jobs, they tend to pay well.

Seriously. I make $180k and I had no connections going into my industry. Don't throw yourself a pity party, OP.

If you're book smart, go back to school for eng or comp sci.
If you're a practical person, go to trade school.

Even if you had connections, they wouldn't want to put you up for a job if you have no education and no real job experience besides McDonalds.

600k + here.
I always had odd jobs since young.
Some people have wealthy family some don't, no need to waste time with this. Keep working and be ready for something better.

You buy some Craiglist-tier shitbox with something simple busted and a clean title, generally, 600-1000 dollars, fix it quick, drive it for a while, few enough miles to not impact the value, and then sell it. Then you're making money.
People who don't like financing either don't get this or have shit credit. I can get a car loan for about 2 or 3 percent or a savings bond at 4 or 5, or invest at like 10 percent. Buying is throwing away money whether I want to bother investing or not.

>losing thousands in taxes because he doesn't own his own company and expense his vehicle lease

Zero percent interest promotions almost always offer a large discount to cash buyers, roughly equivalent to the interest waived on the loan. Different ways of applying the same incentive, you didn't beat the system.

I used to be an electrician. You could be pulling in 80k after 4 year apprenticeship with several construction trades. At least in SoCal - I'm assuming wages are still good across the nation.

If you live in a strong union town, call the hall and enroll in the apprenticeship program. If not, locate the local non-union apprenticeship program for whatever trade (electrical/plumbing/hvac/steelworker/carpenter/etc) seems good. FYI being a 'plumber' doesn't mean you unclog shit all day.

The last 13 years (mid 30s now) i've been doing building automation - hvac controls, making good money. But you gotta be smart as fuck to really excel in that field and have some reasonable work experience to show you're reliable to get the door open.

No education here.

>The rev hang is the most infuriating thing ever and the stock throttle is weird. half throttle is really full throttle to make the car seem faster than it is.
My 07' Legacy is like this, hands down Subaru has the worst dbw implementations of any car I've ever driven.

Oh boy I don't know if this is a recent thing or not, but you have to work for 6 months for Walmart before getting to work full time.

military is also a GREAT idea. I didn't read army-guy's post before writing mine.

I live in a military town and lots of marines/navy are young and have cool cars.

Started selling weed when i was 12 and on my 14th birthday i had 7000$ saved up. After that i pushed coke and made dabs and started growing

At 19 i am putting myself through college, have an 8 car shop with a lift, rent a nice suburban condo, and i dont even work.

Try growing weed, you'll make fuckloads of cash.

Chris?

Most jobs will let you do splits like 30-30. Last time I was working two jobs I worked 6 hour days m-f at both and had one shit from 4am to 10, and the other from 10:30-4:30. If still don't want to do 2 jobs, go to Walmart. They make it really easy to see all the open shift so just take as many as you can past your 40, generally managers will approve overtime so long as you're using it to pick up shifts, and you get 1.25 times pay.

What did you have to know to work at lube tech? Anything formal, and what did you have to know how to do?

Not currently. The one time I worked two jobs, neither place would adhere to the availability I provided so I was constantly being scheduled at conflicting times and having to fix schedules, find people to swap shifts, and a bunch of annoying shit. I suppose I could try again, but I just took that as the norm for working multiple jobs and said fuck it.

I work as a truck mechanic and i fix / flip cars on my free time makin good money

Yo, has it right. My first two cars were bought with dope money when I was 18 and 19. I'm 20 now and on my second project car, my old roommate is in a jail and I got ran out of the county from cops harassing me. I got a real job now at an auto care center and I make about 14/hr. Not as laid back as my last line of work but honestly you can make a car payment on that pay.

Even better for slangin' shard if you got the hook-up's. Just sayin'

Not the wal-mart lube tech user but I work at firestone. You dont really need much experience. Look up how to change a battery/oil change on youtube then apply at jiffy lube, firestone, wal-mart, sears ect. On the resume write down you know how to do those things. How my good friend got his first job changing tires with no automotive experience.

Hope this helps!

i help field and repair race cars.
decent money, and I'm not exposed to the hell that is working on modern street cars.

Nice. I generally do basic replacements on my cars and oil and battery changes, so I'm good in that regard.

One more bit of advice, alot of auto places do this shit called flagged hours (I've herd it called other names too). What that means is you'll be scheduled for a 10 hour day but you only get paid for the hours you spend actually doing labor. Make sure when you apply at these places they have a "%X" guarantee. Basically if you have a really slow or shitty week you still get paid %75 or %80 of the hours your clocked in if you dont make more in flagged hours.

Okay. I'm still just doing part time jobs while doing college.

21, just got a new job at a relatively small organic foods store after quitting target (4 years). The new job bumped my pay up 40 cents to $10.68 an hour. It's backbreaking work, and it's staffed by people who I honestly feel are in a totally different class from me, but I'm working hard to learn in the departments I have no experience with. With that said though, they give me enough hours that I bring home $350 a week, which is enough to get me back in to college for civil engineering.

If you've worked big retail chains, you've got customer service experience. Go apply it elsewhere. Hell, check with local hotels and convention centers to see if they need valets, you get decent pay plus tips, plus you get to drive some nice shit. Any buisness worth its salt needs a customer service front to keep people coming back, you have that experience.

Not in my market and manufacturer. 0.0% for 72 months, still $2,000 below dealer invoice. Everyone pays the same whether they pay cash or finance

>a savings bond at 4 or 5
really now

21y/o student here, I bought a new econobox for probably way too much but I commute a lot so reliability was important. Also I'm critically needed for driving family around and visiting gf so no real choices.

I could have gotten something older but I had no idea about cars before, now that I own one, I got into them. Oh yeah the crippling costs are paid for entirely by me courtesy of my student loans and grants I already had.

Never been employed because apparently everyone hates hiring students and I never even get a call back. That or my CV must really suck.

I get 4 or 5 for one year bonds. They probably make upwards of 10 off it. My credit's about 800. I've never pulled out early.

It's all about luck. Last time I had trouble getting a job I was applying at super shitty places, like Walmart, McDonalds, shit like that. I apply as to a high-end Italian restaurant as a waiter, got the job within a week.

They taught you everything on the job. The only automotive experience I had was collision and auto repair in highschool that was it.
All you need is common sense and pass a drug test and you're hired. A little automotive experience would help

I already work at a Walmart so it'd just be transferring.

Holy fucking shit nigger ;_;
Not entirely true in California.
It's 90 days there.
You need to balance it out.
When I worked 2 jobs I worked at panda express from 9am to 2:30pm then Walmart from 3 to 7:45pm. On 1 day off I had I'd be at panda one full day and the other I'd be at Walmart a full day. I had no days off and worked 7 days a week. I got my first apartment doing that at 21

Honestly I don't see why anyone would want to work at Walmart to be anything other than a lube tech especially if your a dude. When you work for TLE you become a page 5 employee and get to boss around the cuckold cashiers and cart jockeys as well as regular store people. You don't have to were a cuckold vest you get to wear a dark blue uniform.

I am 21 right now
I drive a 2006 mini cooper s @220hp
I made it through engineering in college and work as a stationary engineer at a power plant.
Hard work, but making 80k a year at my first job is pretty nice.

I'm a field mechanic, earn an average of €2600 after taxes a month.

But I work 50-60 hours a week and sleep in hotels during the work week for that.

Op is a fag

Still live with mommy and daddy?

Nah, maybe if I did I would have money to get a nicer car.

not anymore with it becoming legal

No I am not chris sorry

the reason you make no money is because

1. you are lazy and not trying to find a place that will hire you

2. you are a racist and everyone who interviews you can smell it on you the second your foot crosses the threshold

3. you have to ask for help in even the most basic situations (like how to get a good job)

really though i was working 40 hours a week at a grocery store when i was 16 and within 3 months got promoted to isle manager

ive had (since i was 13) over 11 different jobs always working at least 35 hours a week

diversify your skills, if you are working and not actually furthering your skillset you are totally wasting your time

Who is giving you these yields?

It's a local bank.

Berkeley math and statistics at another UC. I worked for a year after my undergrad so I just kept the job and worked remote.

Right now, digging myself in debt because the only job I see myself liking requires a JD. Good thing is I'll make a lot of money in the future. For now, I drive a 2001 Pontiac. Invest now, it'll pay off later. Gotta spend money to make money.

Trying going to visit places in person and see if you can talk to HR or management. I was SOL and almost out of money until I got a job by talking to the managers of a local restaurant a few times.

I'm a pipeliner. Heavy equipment operator
20 years old.
I make 36$/hr and work crazy ammounts of hours. Overtime, double time, living allowance
I started with a rusty truck and 200 dollars. I was homeless at 18. Worked at a moving company, upgraded my drivers licence and never stopped applying to bigger better companies

Get into construction. Learn to drive big trucks, learn transferable skills. Hell be a mechanic if you want.
Learn a trade, even framing or flooring you can make some decent money and all you have to do is put in a few years of hard work. It only took me 3 years of busting my ass.

I'm not rich, i accumulated some debt before i landed the big job. But i'm able to pay it off now.

Take a leap. Work a real job

well shit nice job senpai

I'm just a hair short of that but maybe I'll figure something out. We shall see.

service advisor, started off changing on in a Quicklane for $9/hr when I was 18. I'll be 25 in a week and almost broke $100k in 2016 in that position.

I also own farmland which I inherited from a family member, I gross about $70-72k from that annually but obviously didn't exactly do anything to work my way up to that.

>leased an automatic frs

lol get out

>changing on
changing oil. my b.

Gonna start working again at the nearby UPS hub. I had a pretty decent experience doing seasonal all last month so I'm gonna get my foot in and then try to be a driver until the fall semester since they pretty much almost only hire from within the company.

Kind of in the same boat as you OP, hopefully this will be the opportunity I need to get my shit together.

Degree in Film, full academic route. Learned the trade in and out. Now work full time in the industry.

But I don't waste my money on new, nice cars. Maybe when I'm shitting money I'll get into collecting a few for a nice garage.

>Maybe when I'm shitting money I'll get into collecting a few for a nice garage.
I feel this, but I worry that by the time I have enough money for nice things they'll be illegal or effectively illegal or replaced by something less cool.

n e t w o r k i n g