ITT : Common Misconceptions

What are some common misconceptions that people have in their mind about cars?

Japan and Europe=good

Tires matters

RWD is equal to FWD when driving on snowy roads.

"its just a car"

Low profile tires dont affect the wear and tear on the car

lol

Mostly to all my Euro car drivers
Stop weaving in and out of traffic you fucks.

- "Exhaust 'backpressure' is a thing that improves performance."
- "New cars are enhanced with pony magick and warming the engine up before putting load on it is wasteful."
- "Even though my car calls for 87 octane, the computer will magickally detect that I put in 93 octane and give me more power."
- "My 2005 Accord says it has VTEC - just like an Integra Type-R does." (lol pic related)
- "All I have to do is put a turbo with some piping and an oil line on there and I'll be whoopin' 'vettes in no time."

>american cars are cheap and good for the money

That ford still makes good, reliable cars

>French cars suck

What a bunch of bullshit.

They dont actually. But theres nothing interesting about them. Theyre all ecoboxes, which is all fine because they cover all the needs of someone living in a big city.

That AWD is the same as 4WD. The worst part is when someone brags "There's 4wd on my Ford Edge."

>- "Even though my car calls for 87 octane, the computer will magickally detect that I put in 93 octane and give me more power."

Cars had octane detection systems (mainly coming from interpretation of knock sensors) since the advent of mainstream EFI.

My old fiesta from 15 years ago said in the user manual that it can detect octane rating between the recommended 95 (euro octanes) and lower ones.

AWD is needed if it snows

>owns a French car
lmaoing at ur life

>- "Even though my car calls for 87 octane, the computer will magickally detect that I put in 93 octane and give me more power."
>what are knock sensors
lmao

It will be tuned for something (eg 91), and if there is knock because you have used poorer wuality fuel it will retard timings and detune etc. Its never going to magically up tune itself if better than intended fuel is used.

That anti-freeze/coolant's primary job is to keep the car from overheating and not there to prevent corrosion.

BMW drivers don't put on their blinkers at all.

Throwing your awd into corners because you 'can' will result in better lap times than not exeedind your traction thresholds

Wow, I actually thought coolant prevented overheating.

a car is a part of who you are, a mirroring of your personality

Nope, the water does that

Shows how much you know. The engine is actually a prison that they build to trap Ice fairies. This has the double effect of increasing global warming and letting them push the carbon tax.

4WD will automatically make you a better driver

it will definitely make it 150% easier to drive in slippery conditions

I've only owned French cars all my life. My family only owns French cars.

No problems whatsoever other than random maintenance that needs to be done.

Renault is awesome.

PRetty much.
Something tells me we make decent cars for ourselves and all the cars we send to export are inferior versions.
You keep hearing shit about how unreliable french cars are yet my family has had their Citroën C3 for 13 years and it didn't go through any major failure, only stuff you can expect with age, and a couple bumps into the rear because that's what you get when you drive in the city.

Slicks are bad for road use.

>Misconceptions
That means something that's not correct

>Tune car for 87
>Knock sensor assumes 87 octane at all times
>Car knocks
>MOAR FUEL/less timing
>No extra power, just extra wasted fuel

I work at a (British) garage that has a "no French cars" policy (though it's really a "no French diesels" policy) because they're so, well foreign

Industry standard sizes are disregarded, engine bays are shove right up under the dash, and most confusingly, in 307/C4s the air filter is BEHIND the engine, which makes changing it (offically a 90 minute job) taqke several hours as you're fighting with miles of turbo and EGR plumbing all the way

>tfw changing the air filter in a C4 involves removing the brake fluid reservoir

America has made a decent car.
Automatics are aceptable.

The amount of exhaust pipes is directly relative to performance

Torque vectoring AWD > 4WD

>ethylene glycol does not have any ability to absorb heat
don't be silly

Exhaust piping does affect performance. Or do you mean exhaust tips?

You can like cars and drive a FWD vehicle.

>amount of exhaust pipes
can you fucking read cunt, or are you just retarded?

>you need RWD to enjoy driving
>you need a full size pickup truck to haul some yard trimmings or an ATV around
>you need 300 hp to accelerate to highway speed on the on-ramp
>it's a good idea to hand 16 year olds the license to drive extremely powerful cars or 26k lbs tow combinations
>anyone opposing these views is a yurocuck

kek
>>ethylene glycol does not have any ability to absorb heat
>don't be silly
water is better for cooling. ethyl glycol isn't bad at all, but water is better.. unfortunately water freezes rather easily and is also extremely excellent on mixing metals and materials and causing corrosion.

awd will make snow driving easyer

American cars are just as good as German

>V6 is just as good as V8

>all automatics are the same
>engine braking is bad and increases fuel consumption
>studless winter tires are as bad as summer tires on ice
>nobody needs extra lights on their cars
>inspections are a bad thing

How do they affect the wear and tear?????? O:

>engine braking is bad

For what reason?

More vibration transmitted to suspension and chassis.

>>inspections are a bad thing
>implying they aren't
stay cucked, yuropoor

They make people like me key your car for looking like a fag :^)

Genesis coupe is rated to run on 87 gets 274 hp on premium and 260 on regular.

They are when Americans are making the equivalent of $15000 sticker price Japanese autos for twice the price due to
>muh yoonions

>ABS shortens braking distance

>ITT: Common Misconceptions

Crown vic police cars are fast

>- "Exhaust 'backpressure' is a thing that improves performance."
It does on my friends car.. but then again he is driving a car with a 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine.
>>what are knock sensors
a knock sensor is something that detects you fucking up your cylinders then panics and may adjust timing, cut fuel, open up a wastegate. If has not a fucking clue what is causing the issue.
Much like an oil light, in that once its on there may be damage, once you have unscheduled detonation you may have damange. Its an idiot sensor.

I hope you're keying every car out there except Priuses and the like, because 45 aspect ratios are standard on pretty much 95% of cars sold in the last 3 years.

I know that, I'm just wondering why people think engine braking is bad.

>implying I don't run through the parking lot at walmart brandishing a weed whacker with a guitar string in it, scratching every single car with 17" or above rims.

Is it a noteworthy amount of wear compared to regular tires? I literally just bought some wheels with low profile tires already on them. Fuck my life.

>red cars go faster

I've heard a good number of reasons why people think that

>engine running at high revs for a long time
I mean, sure - dont put into 2nd while going 60mph downhill and you'll be fine tho.
>high RPM = high fuel usage
People dont understand how the fuel system cuts out and the engine is now essentially powered by the wheels/gravity.

Those two are the main ones. I've also heard numerous ones like "the gearbox takes damage when being shifted without any actual engine power", "the engine doesn't get lubrication due to no fuel lubing the cylinder walls" and that you're wasting the momentum going downhill gives you

Tripfag got it right.

Drives a Pontiac
>8/10 power
>2/10 quality

Drove a Chrysler as first car
>OMG it has 32k Miles
>Engine Dies On hot day
>rolls down a hill
>brakes wont grip
>hits a semi
>car small dent
>totaled the semi
>from a15mph roll
>shitty but durable car?

Kek

Just depends on what sort of engine breaking they are talking about. Taking your foot off the gas and letting your car slow down is fine. Down shifting for more engine breaking power, is a sin against engineering and should be punished with execution.

are you retarded?

You basically said "take off in 3rd and keep it there, no need for the other 4 or 5 gears"

I have no words for how retarded you are so have this image instead.

so revving upto 5k (or higher) to maximize dat engine braking is a no-no in your magical book of engineering?

do tell

You should probably just stick to automatics.

Are you black?

I'm waiting, what's the reason?

>People dont understand how the fuel system cuts out and the engine is now essentially powered by the wheels/gravity.
>every EFI system does this

Lolno

Also high revs are bad for engine life in general, even if there's no combustion. Reciprocating mass is reciprocating. Valves are still banging around.

The reason for what? Why are you shifting for more breaking power when you have, breaks. Why are you accelerating to break harder? Son you are completely lost, and probably should not be allowed on the road.

You do this when brake-braking so you're still in the powerband when you're done braking. That's it.

Increasing engine rpm does not automatically mean you're accelerating. If I maintain speed from 4th to 3rd gear, revs will increase while speed remains constant.

Maximizing engine braking while coasting toward a light that is about to change is about its all about. I've gone from 6th to 2nd while decelerating toward a light that turned green, I was still in gear and started accelerating.

Your reasons are shit btw. Perhaps you should be the one sticking to automatics?

But thats what I do on my bike all the time

Do you have a slipper clutch? Do you know why that might be a good idea?

I fucking hope you do.

The clutch on a bike doesnt cost 800 dollars in shop fees or an entire day of your life in the garage.

I dont even use the clutch. jsut kick it up when its pegged on the limiter or just slam it down

So long as you're not popping it through the redline it shouldn't bother it one iota. It's well within the design speed regime of the engine

The reasons for that is, changing your break pads costs 15 dollars and an hour of time. No matter how you spin it, it takes friction to slow down a vehicle, slowing it down faster than the friction of the road and wind has to go somewhere, and you are sending in to your transmission.

>breaks

I don't thrust this guy.

You're actually supposed to say that brake pads < clutch in terms of cost. The "normal" argument is that brake pads are cheap and fairly easy to replace in a driveway compared to a clutch.

Thanks for stating the obvious about engine braking. Are you going to say that the sky is blue next?

Do people actually think this?

You might very well be insane.

Trans outputshaft speed remains constant, transmission input shaft speed will change (with engine rpm of course) so yeah theres nominal increase of load on the transmission and the engine to a degree.

Engine and trans are designed to handle it. I'm not dropping into 1st gear on the highway, I'm not even revving to 80% of my redline either.

Understanding how cars work =/= insane

So no.

Enjoy your rear tire breaking loose. On high revving bikes, engine braking is more like tire braking. you're using the tire as a brake for the engine, and it can skip along the road trying to slow down a 13,000RPM four cyllinder with a very high compression ratio, possibly causing crash. Because of this, most bikes with engines that might help the problem along (aka most bikes made after slipper clutches became economical to have standard) have clutches that disengage when exposed to force in the direction opposite of the one they usually rotate in.

>engine braking
>clutch life

u wot m8? it's just a shift. if you're slowing down you were probably going to shift anyways. engine braking is running at high revs with a closed throttle so the engine has to work against a narrower opening instead of freely sucking air through a larger one

with carbs and older FI this wastes fuel

your transmission can handle it

but the high revs will wear on your engine regardless

No, you are insane. But as an insane person you dont even know why.

Sure it can handle it for a time. But all manmade things wear and eventually break at the weakest link. You have to choose if you want it to break at a 15 dollar part or an 800 dollar part. Ive owned 5 manuals with over 150k miles each, one over 300k. Never changed a clutch. Everyone I know who abuses theirs like what you all do, they have gone through several.

>go down hill
>brakes overheat
>"Don't worry, I'll just change my pads"

>engine braking
>clutch life

Do you not know how to downshift or what?

A little load on the opposite side of the gear teeth isn't going to do anything. Engine braking is fine for the transmission. It's actually what you're supposed to do while going downhill, and some autos will downshift if you're coasting downhill to do this.

The "ENGIN BREAKING YO" retardation some people do where they shift way the fuck down and rev to 5-6k? Yeah, that's bad. That's where you get shift lock and increased engine wear.

What about guys that go to drag/circuit events on weekends and can benefit from dragging the clutch a bit on launch?

Driving like a regular dildo and not burning through a clutch is no feat. You do make a point with the weakest link part though. Banging out gears puts strain on your engine/clutch/transmission and shafts. If you slap in a badass clutch then then its a stronger link in the same chain. If somethings gonna fail, its either motor, trans or shafts. My example was an FWD car of course.

Also I'm insane, perhaps I should get myself committed.

>Accelerate
>force is transmitted through the clutch, increased wear
>decelerate
>force is transmitted through the clutch, increased wear

literally can't win

But it's fun

>Ill just use that one time im driving down a mountain as an excuse.

Their cars are making them money in that case, then they can afford to abuse it for greater rewards.

Then shut the fuck up, let me "abuse" my car by downshifting all the time for "greater rewards"

Starting my engine when its cold would cause more wear than 5krpm engine braking

>weekend track day bros and drag strip junkies
>making money off their cars
Lel. No.

>Implying their parents arnt dropping 5000 dollars a month on broken car parts to get them out of the house.